Starting with nothing, where to buy and what to get?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

unrecordings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by unrecordings » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:47 am

Mostin77 wrote:
mskala wrote: the old traditional 1/4W resistors are something of dinosaurs today. Technology has advanced and lot of resistors made in the traditional size actually have a higher power rating - I've seen as high as 0.6W for resistors of the standard size that I think of as "1/4W". So if you don't really need the power rating to exactly be 0.25W for some reason, you may be better off searching a range of ratings like from 0.25W to 0.8W, or even skipping the power rating and searching on the physical size of the resistor body (length and diameter) instead to get a traditional-sized resistor.
Thanks mskala.

I had no idea about the power ratings, I’m guessing that in most cases like caps if the power rating is above what’s specced then it will be fine in most cases? I’m just searching for 1% tolerance resistors, but I added the 0.25w to try and narrow the search results down. I will check the sizes of the ones I’ve managed to successfully order in the past and try searching for side instead. Thanks again
I tend to get my resistors from CPC now (here in the UK) - Just search MF25 and you should get exactly what you need, all you need to do then is select value(s)

Mostin77
Common Wiggler

Post by Mostin77 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:54 am

mskala wrote:
Mostin77 wrote:I had no idea about the power ratings, I’m guessing that in most cases like caps if the power rating is above what’s specced then it will be fine in most cases?
Yeah - I think the only reasons a higher power rating would be a problem would be if the higher-powered resistor is too physically large to fit (which is kind of the opposite of the issue I was talking about) or if you were using the resistor as a substitute for a fuse, intending that it should blow out on overload to protect something else (bad idea, but people sometimes use resistors this way on module power inlets).
I’ve accidentally ordered some 1% resistors in the past which were half the size of the other ones I was using, I know they will be ok to use, but I’ve not used them yet.

I won’t be using resistors as substitute fuses either. I’ve basically been building lots of modules from thonk as kit form and now I feel like I’m at the stage of wanting to learn a bit more about the parts and what makes these circuits work the way they do. So lots of I.C data sheet reading, some learning electronics books and sourcing my own parts for builds.
Thanks again for the help.

DJ_JITTER
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ_JITTER » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:57 am

unrecordings wrote: I tend to get my resistors from CPC now (here in the UK) - Just search MF25 and you should get exactly what you need, all you need to do then is select value(s)
What is it that makes you use CPC, if you don't mind me asking? I've only just started out myself and have been using Mouser as BOMs tend to reference their part numbers, but I'd be interested to know how other vendors are.

Mostin77
Common Wiggler

Post by Mostin77 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:00 pm

unrecordings wrote:I tend to get my resistors from CPC now (here in the UK) - Just search MF25 and you should get exactly what you need, all you need to do then is select value(s)
That’s funny as before seeing this thread I was about to order all my resistors from soundtronics again in the uk just purely because it’s easier to find the values I need. I’m not hugely keen on the £10 delivery fee for a few hundred resistors though...I’ll have a look at CPC also.

Like anything when learning about this stuff I know I’m missing info when searching for stuff on mouser so I’m just wanting to understand a bit better

plushterry
Common Wiggler

Post by plushterry » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:05 pm

I know that the Weller and hakko irons are the preferred choice for folks here but I honestly don't think they are totally necessary. You can get a Katsu soldering station off eBay for £30 which is more than adequate.

unrecordings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by unrecordings » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:07 pm

DJ_JITTER wrote:
unrecordings wrote: I tend to get my resistors from CPC now (here in the UK) - Just search MF25 and you should get exactly what you need, all you need to do then is select value(s)
What is it that makes you use CPC, if you don't mind me asking? I've only just started out myself and have been using Mouser as BOMs tend to reference their part numbers, but I'd be interested to know how other vendors are.
I started out using RS and Farnell decades ago, probably long before Mouser traded in the UK. CPC is the cheap warehouse version of Farnell. Not as much electronics stock, but the stuff they do have is Farnell sourced and cheaper. Minimum order for free shipping from CPC now is £8. RS is still free for all online orders, but their stock is more expensive - apart from their Switchcraft 112AX which is the cheapest anywhere (and almost always out of stock)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”