Project PRO2021 - A Pro-One keyboard synth

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Kevin Mitchell
Common Wiggler

Post by Kevin Mitchell » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:18 am

Sweet thank you! My labels are placed correct if it were mounted onto the front side :razz:

Thanks for the warning on the headers I'll move them over.

-KM
Last edited by Kevin Mitchell on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sparky
Common Wiggler

Post by Sparky » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:26 am

JanneI wrote: if all is good, I can send the rest to whoever wants one.
I'll take one! 8-)

Grooverman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Grooverman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 pm

I just started my build so I'm a bit late to the party...

The light in the power switch light up as soon as I connect the mains cable...is it supposed to do that? It doesn't matter if the switch is on or off, the light is always on...

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Grooverman, no it should just come on when switched on. Sounds like you just wired the switches light terminal to Vsupply, instead of to the switched Vsupply (the one that goes to feed the power supply).

Grooverman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Grooverman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Solved...I put the cables to the switch the wrong way...had the cable from the inlet going to the middle of the switch and the cable from the bord to the lower connection of the switch...flipped them and now everything is fine and dandy...

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:23 pm

Sweet! Yeah, only 2 possibilities on that one! :tu:

Kevin Mitchell
Common Wiggler

Post by Kevin Mitchell » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:31 am

I'm reviewing this thread again for news and I have a question that was left unanswered through this thread as well as the synthcube website.
synthcube wrote:we would like to get through this first run of 'full' kits, and will be working with Devin on additional supplies after that...
You see - I have all of the electronic parts and only need the chassis kit w/ pcbs and the keybed. I had put in my reservation but fear my order notes have gone unacknowledged - as did my inquiry a few days prior to my order submission. I don't need the full kit and would rather not have to wait until you get rid of your sets.

Is everything all set or should I cancel my order?

-KM
Last edited by Kevin Mitchell on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:33 am

we'll be able to accommodate your note in this first run--- please stay tuned for more details via email-- thank you

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 am

I have all Bender assmeblies built and PCBs in my shop, and the wood ends just finished up and en route to me! Getting really close! :sb: :sb:

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:55 am

yay!

Kevin Mitchell
Common Wiggler

Post by Kevin Mitchell » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:06 pm

Thanks for the notice :sb:
-KM

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:20 pm

we just received what is officially the largest inbound parcel ever sent here-- PRO2021 metal parts, packaged beautifully in a hand made plywood crate- safe and sound, ready to go into our full kits... we like the crate so much we are going to keep it and use it to display assembled PRO2021s here in the shop :)

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:40 am

synthcube wrote:we just received what is officially the largest inbound parcel ever sent here-- PRO2021 metal parts, packaged beautifully in a hand made plywood crate- safe and sound, ready to go into our full kits... we like the crate so much we are going to keep it and use it to display assembled PRO2021s here in the shop :)

And THAT is why I had that baby drop shipped LOL!. I had to pick up the first crate from DHL depot at the PDX airport for the protos. Rolled up in my Focus ST and amazinginly the crate fit... like literally the largest possible rectangular box that would fit in that car. :lol:

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:49 am

if this continues, we are going to have to move (again!) to a place with a big loading dock

:)

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:24 pm

My through-hole PCB worked fine, so send me a message if you want one. I managed to break the fragile AT strip, so here's an idea for a fix. Just cut the center part of the strip before clanping the IDC. Works fine. Soldering only melts it.

[/img]

Kevin Mitchell
Common Wiggler

Post by Kevin Mitchell » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:53 pm

Has anyone snagged the synthcube kit yet? I haven't picked mine up - wasn't ready for the $400 difference compared to what Devin was asking for. So my stance on the pricing has changed after getting my invoice. Not so cool.

Also - Synthcube hasn't been so great with replying to emails. Very discouraging. I mean, acknowledgment shouldn't be too much to ask. But I'll beg to pick it up as soon as I can.

-KM

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:56 pm

hello folks-- we are gathering up the few remaining bits for kits-- most everything is here... apologies for email delays, with recent switch to another email solution, we are seeing more inbound emails getting tagged as spam and trying to solve it-- so if you don't feel we are being responsive via email please also try FB messenger or IM or even phone

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:43 pm

Kevin Mitchell wrote:Has anyone snagged the synthcube kit yet? I haven't picked mine up - wasn't ready for the $400 difference compared to what Devin was asking for. So my stance on the pricing has changed after getting my invoice. Not so cool.

Also - Synthcube hasn't been so great with replying to emails. Very discouraging. I mean, acknowledgment shouldn't be too much to ask. But I'll beg to pick it up as soon as I can.

-KM
I hadn't heard anything about a price change since the listing went live. SC should weigh in on that for sure.

If you were quoted a price when making a deposit, then that is the price you should pay IMO.

All that aside, it sounds like it is getting very close. I have shipped everything from my end to SC as of a week or so ago. :tu:

Kevin Mitchell
Common Wiggler

Post by Kevin Mitchell » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:04 pm

devinw1 wrote: I hadn't heard anything about a price change since the listing went live. SC should weigh in on that for sure.

If you were quoted a price when making a deposit, then that is the price you should pay IMO. :
There was no pricing for only the chassis kit when I put in my deposit. I just wasn't expecting the price jump to be so much compared to what you were asking for from the first run. I understand they need to make some money. I'm just being a brat about the amount and the fact I could have waited for a sale to save hundreds of dollars. (tis the season) :despair:

Consumer woahs

-KM

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:43 pm

Oh, I see I see.

Well, one must keep in mind that I basically broke even more or less on those first kits. Being that some of my vendors bumped up cost a little bit, and a small margin on my end plus SC's margin. Standard retail practice is to double cost (or more), and I can tell you here they are below that.

That does suck you didn't know the cost in the beginning though. Sorry about that!

gslug
Common Wiggler

Re: Project PRO2021 - A Pro-One keyboard synth

Post by gslug » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:25 am

Just wondered if anyone who pre ordered the Synthcube kit had got theirs yet? I'm desperate for something to build.... Should finish my MME, but that means wood/metal work so I've been putting it off.
One day I'll get an avatar!

Kevin Mitchell
Common Wiggler

Post by Kevin Mitchell » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:17 am

gslug wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:25 am
Just wondered if anyone who pre ordered the Synthcube kit had got theirs yet? I'm desperate for something to build.... Should finish my MME, but that means wood/metal work so I've been putting it off.
I plan on picking mine up soon since they're only an hour and a half from me. Speaking of which... Is synthcube open on weekends? What are the store hours? Couldn't find details on the website.

I just put my MME in a moog case (was in a eurorack controller but I had parted with it). I'm guessing you want the full synth. Every time I have progress on the chassis model my subscriptions run out before I can get back into it. A learning curve that I need much more time to work on - without spending hundreds/thousands on a program that I'll only use a few times (struggle to use lol) :hmm:

Are you open to freelance work, Devin? :hihi:
Lol JK... but really...

Once I have the 2021 done I intend to fully dedicate my free time to finishing my model d clone. Having everything but the sheet metal done has been eating me up!

-KM

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:08 am

Dang, I would have thought people would be getting stuff already. I completed my shipments of all the chassis kits back in early December. I will see if I can get info.

Kevin, for the Moog case, you can PM me, though I will say it's always a time struggle doing anything else being I have all this cool synth stuff to juggle with my day job. :eek:

Kevin Mitchell
Common Wiggler

Post by Kevin Mitchell » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:49 am

devinw1 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:08 am
Dang, I would have thought people would be getting stuff already. I completed my shipments of all the chassis kits back in early December. I will see if I can get info.

Kevin, for the Moog case, you can PM me, though I will say it's always a time struggle doing anything else being I have all this cool synth stuff to juggle with my day job. :eek:
As mentioned by a few of us the price is a bit steep compared to what was anticipated (mistake of assumption). It takes some time to scrape up pennies to make the difference or recoup funds that were spent elsewhere while the project was in limbo (my personal struggle).
I can only assume their inventory is all set and ready to go since we've been getting our invoices. So it's a matter of us folks dragging our feet to complete the purchase. I think there's only 3 of us at the moment.

Side note - it's weird that we had put in preorders while they were taking preorders for the keybeds and upon receiving the invoice I've noticed I'm being charged full price for the keybed - which is what it would cost to get the AT version elsewhere. Unless I'm wrong and they are supplying the AT version with the kit?

I feel I'm getting juiced on this one big time. All I can do is complain and bite the bullet. I mean no disrespect. It's just how I see it. Though I totally understand all parties turning a profit from this - you would think pricing would be better with the larger run. But I know nothing about the industry and am at the mercy of the seller.

Regarding the moog project - I'll gather everything and send it your way to see what you think - probably within the next week. Thanks, man!

-KM

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:34 pm

Kevin Mitchell wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:49 am
devinw1 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:08 am

As mentioned by a few of us the price is a bit steep compared to what was anticipated (mistake of assumption). It takes some time to scrape up pennies to make the difference or recoup funds that were spent elsewhere while the project was in limbo (my personal struggle).
I can only assume their inventory is all set and ready to go since we've been getting our invoices. So it's a matter of us folks dragging our feet to complete the purchase. I think there's only 3 of us at the moment.

Side note - it's weird that we had put in preorders while they were taking preorders for the keybeds and upon receiving the invoice I've noticed I'm being charged full price for the keybed - which is what it would cost to get the AT version elsewhere. Unless I'm wrong and they are supplying the AT version with the kit?

I feel I'm getting juiced on this one big time. All I can do is complain and bite the bullet. I mean no disrespect. It's just how I see it. Though I totally understand all parties turning a profit from this - you would think pricing would be better with the larger run. But I know nothing about the industry and am at the mercy of the seller.

Regarding the moog project - I'll gather everything and send it your way to see what you think - probably within the next week. Thanks, man!

-KM
Yeah, I really can't comment how SC runs their operation but I can only assume they have a fair amount of overhead now since they are building up a big brick and mortar store and running a website. I know it does take a ton of time to kit up parts kits, especially on a project this big. It's a lot of labor. I know because I had to do it for the first 15 kits and that wasn't even a full kit. It took me many hours after work for a week. That's why Thonk prefers to just buy kits and sell them vs kitting up themselves. Labor in UK is not cheap...they don't want to pay $15 an hour or more to have people bag up resistors!

Anyway, I hope everything works out and people are happy in the end. I was just happy to have somebody to partner with to take the load of logistics off of me, which is not something I'm set up to handle (or want to :D), but hate to hear about any dissatisfaction. I am not sure what is up with the keybed, but like I have said before if there is any discrepancy vs what was quoted at pre-order time and what is being charged, I would take that up with SC. There is no reason you should have to pay more than what you were quoted at time of deposit, IMO. :tu: As far as the AT, it was always my understanding that the first lot of pallet of keybeds that they picked up for resale were non-AT versions though. I don't think that has changed.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”