The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

dikkietrom
Common Wiggler
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 am

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by dikkietrom » Sat May 23, 2020 7:30 pm

the voice is, apart from xmod, now fully tested and proven ok. All with still manufactured parts. Not sure if I mentioned already but the project turned commercial. It went over my head and I want it finished regardless.

sound demo's , for the sake of poc

www.anatal.io/jp8-demo1_3.wav
www.anatal.io/envgen8%20demo01.wav
http://www.anatal.io/envgen8%20demo02.wav
Attachments
Sam_4613.jpg
The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project
Desperately seeking IR3R01

dikkietrom
Common Wiggler
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 am

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by dikkietrom » Sat May 23, 2020 7:40 pm

devinw1 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:05 pm
Nm I see the box. Very surprised they can do that so cheap in the EU. But you saved on shipping that way too.

Now to figure out how to finish it eh?
It is as if you have these machines connected directly to your pc, bizar. Upload step, click, boom there it is at your doorstep brought by their own shipping truck for a few bucks. Honestly, I could not believe it myself too, till it was in my hands.

How to finish is all figured out, it is mainly an exercise in patience. Can't make a baby in one month with 9 women.
The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project
Desperately seeking IR3R01

dikkietrom
Common Wiggler
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 am

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by dikkietrom » Sat May 23, 2020 8:04 pm

Jackdamery wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:15 am
Are you still in desperate need of IR3R01s?
Not so much anymore but I would definitely buy any I can get my hands on. We can arrange temp access to an original JP8 for benchmarking and already made the choice for the replacement. Having one of the IR3R01s for permanent instant usage would be great though.

I am not sure what your issues were with the VCF, I have read your thread about that too. We don't have the problem of having to adapt to DIP, it will be discreetly integrated eventually when the whole thing moves to smd.

Until we have 8 voices controlled by the poly unison algo, it will be hard to hear if it really sounds genuine. Even if it does not I am sure it will sound great regardless.
The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project
Desperately seeking IR3R01

User avatar
devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1861
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:20 am
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by devinw1 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 pm

dikkietrom wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:40 pm
devinw1 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:05 pm
Nm I see the box. Very surprised they can do that so cheap in the EU. But you saved on shipping that way too.

Now to figure out how to finish it eh?
It is as if you have these machines connected directly to your pc, bizar. Upload step, click, boom there it is at your doorstep brought by their own shipping truck for a few bucks. Honestly, I could not believe it myself too, till it was in my hands.

How to finish is all figured out, it is mainly an exercise in patience. Can't make a baby in one month with 9 women.
Yeah I checked out their site. Extreme level factory automation. Impressive.

Also I've never heard that saying in your last sentence...hilarious!! :lol:

User avatar
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4626
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by KSS » Sat May 23, 2020 11:59 pm

Unfortunately that doesn't keep some men from trying. :foul:

User avatar
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4626
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by KSS » Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 am

dikkietrom wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:30 pm
Not sure if I mentioned already but the project turned commercial. It went over my head and I want it finished regardless.
What does this mean? You prior mentioned "heavyweights" joining in.

This, combined with Rob of AMS being involved shortly before that comment was made, suggests Behringer has adopted you for its JP8 effort?

If so, i hope Marc Marc is being paid well.

People wonder why there is complaint -and fear- about Behringer's impact, and yet we're seeing DIY project after DIY project get consumed by them,
Rob went from promising open source to useless github partials.

Ot have I missed your intent entirely and this has become Anatal's next offer?

Either way, is this project still DIY, or not?

It's starting to get old contributing to what is promised as a DIY project, only to have it go commercial and that option be lost.
After the DIY community has shared its knowledge and resources with the developer.

dikkietrom
Common Wiggler
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 am

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by dikkietrom » Sun May 24, 2020 2:12 am

KSS wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:59 pm
Unfortunately that doesn't keep some men from trying. :foul:
oh my, I laughed :sstorm:
The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project
Desperately seeking IR3R01

dikkietrom
Common Wiggler
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 am

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by dikkietrom » Sun May 24, 2020 4:56 am

devinw1 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 pm

Also I've never heard that saying in your last sentence...hilarious!! :lol:
It is a translation from a saying in my native tongue, it has great usage for getting annoying pushy managers off one's back haha
The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project
Desperately seeking IR3R01

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:47 am
Location: Sweden

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by aabbcc » Mon May 25, 2020 1:17 am

devinw1 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 pm
dikkietrom wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:40 pm
devinw1 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:05 pm
Nm I see the box. Very surprised they can do that so cheap in the EU. But you saved on shipping that way too.

Now to figure out how to finish it eh?
It is as if you have these machines connected directly to your pc, bizar. Upload step, click, boom there it is at your doorstep brought by their own shipping truck for a few bucks. Honestly, I could not believe it myself too, till it was in my hands.

How to finish is all figured out, it is mainly an exercise in patience. Can't make a baby in one month with 9 women.
Yeah I checked out their site. Extreme level factory automation. Impressive.

Also I've never heard that saying in your last sentence...hilarious!! :lol:
Whats their website? I've been trying to make out what it says on the box for 10 min now haha but still can't see haha...

dikkietrom
Common Wiggler
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 am

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by dikkietrom » Mon May 25, 2020 1:33 am

KSS wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 am
dikkietrom wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:30 pm
Not sure if I mentioned already but the project turned commercial. It went over my head and I want it finished regardless.
What does this mean? You prior mentioned "heavyweights" joining in.

This, combined with Rob of AMS being involved shortly before that comment was made, suggests Behringer has adopted you for its JP8 effort?

If so, i hope Marc Marc is being paid well.

People wonder why there is complaint -and fear- about Behringer's impact, and yet we're seeing DIY project after DIY project get consumed by them,
Rob went from promising open source to useless github partials.

Ot have I missed your intent entirely and this has become Anatal's next offer?

Either way, is this project still DIY, or not?

It's starting to get old contributing to what is promised as a DIY project, only to have it go commercial and that option be lost.
After the DIY community has shared its knowledge and resources with the developer.
I wrote a long answer to this and then decided not to post it because there are already enough opinions out there, mine does not really add much to the table. It is still Marc who is working on the JP8 replica, for his hourly service rate. If we manage to get the replica release worthy then it will indeed be Anatal's next offering. I never had a conversation in any form with Mr B.

For the sake of efficiency, the boards will convert to smd. We can of course make a DIY package but don't count on it to be much more affordable. Reflow cost of boards in large numbers is relatively low per board. The OS code will for sure be open source, so that it can be verified, forked etc.

The JP8 replica voices will be offered as pluggable cards, that was the initial idea anyway. The plan is to make different kinds of voices and also open proto cards that will integrate with the surrounding hardware infra. What I see a lot is that people make DIY modules in isolation that is only usable in a monophonic modular context. With this open poly platform, I envision, it would be a breeze for anyone to also use DIY modules in a fixed poly context.

The reason I am not inclined to have the whole thing ready to manufacture downloadable is that companies with much more manufacturing power can offer the synth for much less than we can ever do. That would be financial suicide I am afraid. I hope this compromise I envision will also spark DIY initiatives. Which as might well lead, in collaboration, to something commercial. If you, personally, don't want that for whatever reason, then you simply keep it for yourself.
The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project
Desperately seeking IR3R01

dikkietrom
Common Wiggler
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 am

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by dikkietrom » Mon May 25, 2020 1:40 am

aabbcc wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:17 am

Whats their website? I've been trying to make out what it says on the box for 10 min now haha but still can't see haha...
https://www.247tailorsteel.com

there is also another one, with more material options (polished brass pweee!) but significantly slower delivery.

https://www.plaatwerk365.nl

Is it really only the Dutch that provide this level of automation??? If so, I guess there is a reason we did so well so far haha
The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project
Desperately seeking IR3R01

User avatar
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4626
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by KSS » Mon May 25, 2020 3:12 am

@dikkietrom
Thank you for clearly stating where you stand and where you see this project going. That's important information.

Clearly, populated SMD PCBs is the -to me- SAD future of SDIY. That's been on the table for a long time now. Even PAIA has been doing it for years and years. More paint by numbers than actual construction. I don't have to like it even if I do understand why it will become a larger portion.

I do also understand the environment for releasing full mfg information has changed, and not for the better. That's not only due to B's entry in our market. I'm dealing with a similar issue. It's frustrating all the way around.

Of course the other side to the debate is that as soon as you release a product, or even SMD populated boards with a BOM for the TH, a "heavyweight" has only to buy a unit or board set, hot air remove the installed components and replicate the PCB. There's really no way to stop someone invested in that path. There's ample evidence of it happening right now and in past couple years.

Still, it remains that the only way to beat a heavyweight is service, branding and quality. They can take your design, but your culture is a harder grab.

I remain hopeful your project goes well.

User avatar
devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1861
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:20 am
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by devinw1 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:00 pm

dikkietrom wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:40 am
aabbcc wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:17 am

Whats their website? I've been trying to make out what it says on the box for 10 min now haha but still can't see haha...
https://www.247tailorsteel.com

there is also another one, with more material options (polished brass pweee!) but significantly slower delivery.

https://www.plaatwerk365.nl

Is it really only the Dutch that provide this level of automation??? If so, I guess there is a reason we did so well so far haha
I'm not aware of any operation like that in the US selling to the general public. There might be factories set up with that level of technology, but they are set up to build specific products.

The closest I can think is Misumi (a Japanese company), which does have a US division. They offer configurable automatic machining a slew of different components that can be used for building machines etc..

User avatar
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4626
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by KSS » Mon May 25, 2020 9:10 pm

Yes, that price at those quantiites is unbelievable from a USA perspective. Still blows my mind when re-viewing that part of the thread.

If I can get dikkietrom to leave out that ridiculous full bottom cover sheet, the cost will be even less. ;) And with a smaller access port plate, much easier to service. Lighter to ship and gig with too.

Surprised Marc Marc wouldn't push back -hard- against full bottom plate.

KanonP
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:00 am

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by KanonP » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:22 pm

hello, been following this page for a little bit and wanted to check and see where the project was at. I would buy something like this, not an engineer or anything, just a hobbyist. But I would definitely buy a finished synth if that were to become a reality.

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by slumberjack » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:45 pm

Holy moly...
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut



Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

User avatar
devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1861
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:20 am
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by devinw1 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:35 am

Remember when we had like 3 Jupiter 8 threads all popping off at once and then they all died?

User avatar
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4626
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by KSS » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:10 am

^ I suspect at least two of these are still very much in progress.. Behind the scenes. As you know, going from proto to an actual offering is not a short or straight path in even the best of times.

User avatar
devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1861
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:20 am
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: The open source Jupiter-8-4-ALL project

Post by devinw1 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:47 pm

I hope so KSS! I just remember there were periodic updates and then everyone just kind of went silent, oddly almost all 3 at the same.time.

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”