Vacuform - Vacuum tube diode SVF

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

acgenerator
Veteran Wiggler

Post by acgenerator » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:46 am

BARD wrote: - PCB parallel to panel, tubes protruding from panel, skiff
The majority of the tube based modules have them protruding. Easier to change for replacement/tube-rolling. It also has a nice aesthetic... especially if you have multiple tube-based modules.

Also add me to the list of those that would consider this module.

Drillionaire
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Drillionaire » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:09 am

Wow this sounds incredible. Count me in for a PCB/panel combo if they get made!

oberkorn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oberkorn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 am

interested in a euro pcb/panel set when available

sawersky
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sawersky » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:22 pm

Any news on this one ?
thats sound yummy !!

nimmen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nimmen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:58 am

Lovely, definitely count me in for 3U(preferably DIY) version.
busy soldering...

psykon
Common Wiggler

Post by psykon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:50 pm

+1 interest in eurorack diy (pcb/panel or kit) :yay:

BARD
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BARD » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:14 pm

Here's the layout:
The PCB set (Circuit motherboard, pots / jacks daughterboard and back panel with description) will be fixed to the panel with 2 screws and Cliff jacks. Front panels will be cutted out of stainless steel with CMYW print on them - it'll look like this:
Image They're pretty durable and heavy :goo:

Other formats variant - Motherboard only, jacks and pots wired to connectors on motherboard. This is just to give idea for layout:

Hope to finish BOM / PCB next week :) I'll also include order list in first post soon.

furanku
Learning to Wiggle

Post by furanku » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:36 pm

This filter sounds and looks great! I would like 2 PCB/panel sets.

Ayab
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ayab » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Meaty sounding filter.

Please include me for x 2 or 3 sets of pcb & panels depending on price.

Isaiah
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Isaiah » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:05 am

BARD
Sounds great!

I’m curious, how did you implement LP, BP, HP inputs on a SVF?
Normally SVFs have a signal input and discrete LP, BP and HP outputs.
The only VCF I’m aware of that is similar to yours in this respect, is a (modified) Steiner Synthasystem/Synthacon filter, and I believe that’s a Sallen-Key topology, not State-Variable.

BARD
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BARD » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:03 am

Normally SVFs have a signal input and discrete LP, BP and HP outputs.
The only VCF I’m aware of that is similar to yours in this respect, is a (modified) Steiner Synthasystem/Synthacon filter, and I believe that’s a Sallen-Key topology, not State-Variable.
Whoops, seems that I referred to Sallen-Key filters as a SVF subtype for like.. 8 years? :roll: State variable filter is in fact specific type as now I can see... Thanks for pointing that!
I’m curious, how did you implement LP, BP, HP inputs (...)
It uses four vacuum diodes (2xEAA91) as dynamic resistance element and BP/HP signals are injected into intermediate stages. This is very similar to the Synthacon filter, but output / feedback amplifier is made around double triode (6N3P). :)

non-Eurorack kit 95USD (core PCB, tube sockets + tubes, You'll need supply your own PCB parts, jacks, pots, wires and eventual M3 screws for fastening PCB to panel).
Eurorack kit (PCBs + Panel + Tubes + Sockets, without other parts) 125USD I have added this variant since there's a lot of interest

The price for the full Eurorack kit would be 155USD.
Fully assembled Eurorack module 270USD.

25USD shipping to US
20EUR shipping to EU
I consider making other kit variants. Polish Post can ship this kit worldwide, but costs will be little higher.

Interest list moved to OP.

Leave me PM if you would like to have more custom option. This list is only to clarify current interest :razz:
Last edited by BARD on Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:59 am

1x non Eurorack kit please
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

degeneratedsines
Common Wiggler

Post by degeneratedsines » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:52 pm

hey @BARD, I would like 1 euro full kit if possible, please. Very nice filter.

Would also have been nice to have a front panel power connector to power the module from an external AC wall wart like my m277 does.

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Question on pricing: Eurorack kit is all parts needed (including pcb parts) or euro panel, pcb, tubes + sockets? I’m probably in either way.

Also the idea from your original post for a indicator led sounded like a good one.. maybe even attenuverters on inputs too? :hide: Just thinking it might be nice (but not necessary) to control the amount of gain without relying on attenuators or VCAs before hitting the inputs. Or does the output pot influence this?

BARD
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BARD » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:46 pm

degeneratedsines wrote:Would also have been nice to have a front panel power connector to power the module from an external AC wall wart like my m277 does.
This can be done, but for 5V-6.3V AC/DC supply.
Addam wrote:Question on pricing: Eurorack kit is all parts needed (including pcb parts) or euro panel, pcb, tubes + sockets? I’m probably in either way.
Eurorack full kit will have all parts needed :)
Addam wrote:Also the idea from your original post for a indicator led sounded like a good one.. maybe even attenuverters on inputs too? (hides) Just thinking it might be nice (but not necessary) to control the amount of gain without relying on attenuators or VCAs before hitting the inputs. Or does the output pot influence this?
I gave up the idea of attenuverters due to lack of space - notice that it's now 16HP and having tubes on top reduces available "safe" space even more. It would be possible to implement additional circuitry on daughterboard, but some form of expander would be required (something like 4HP module with additional inputs with attenuverters). Teeny attenuator pots is an option, but it could break layout.
However, there is place for Overdrive indicator.
Output pot is for post-filter signal level, it does not affect filter behaviour.

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks for the reply. I’d probably be down for the panel, pcb & tubes option.

My vote is no need to change existing layout to add attenuverters at inputs or attenuator at output- other modules can supply those duties in the ever present interest of hp conservation :)

degeneratedsines
Common Wiggler

Post by degeneratedsines » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:41 pm

:woah:
I wasn't expecting a positive response for the external power connector.
:hail:

Swyndger
Common Wiggler

Post by Swyndger » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:01 am

Looks good. Would be very interested in one Eurorack PCB + Panel + Tubes

anto32
Common Wiggler

Post by anto32 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:53 pm

Nice filter! Want it to run +15/-15/+5 and 0-10v input.
Interested in a pcb kit without panel, please.

fitzgreyve
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fitzgreyve » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:39 am

BARD wrote: fitzgreyve (only core PCB perhaps?)
Yes, ideally interested in PCB only if possible.
Under developement:
- "Muse" (nearly ready for release!)
---------------------------------------
https://fitzgreyve2.blogspot.com/

frozenkore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frozenkore » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:36 am

Ooh, I'm definitely interested in Euro pcb + panel + tubes set!

:guinness:
Cheers!
Brian

artilect99
Common Wiggler

Post by artilect99 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:04 am

Interested in a PCB + tubes set. :sb:

mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mOBiTh » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:33 am

Hey Bard!

I'm up for a full euro kit please! 8-)

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:02 pm

** I'd like to see a Front Panel Express file for any of the formats. That way someone can use the tube placement, hole sizes, pot/jack/switch placements and create their own panel versions very easily. It really doesn't matter which modular format the FPE file is done in, as it is quite simple to retrofit the component layout (most especially the PCB mounting holes and the tube hole locations) to pretty much any format, no matter it be Euro, 5U/MU, or whatever. By doing so, you could also create your own logo/branding/typeface that would be used by anyone adopting the FPE file which would insure your hard earned look remained accurate in DIY builds.
Eric the Red wrote: ... I think if you just build it to be compatible with +/- 15 volts, most 5U Builders would be ok with flying wires for the build. Most of the stuff that we build seems to be this way.

-Eric
Exactly! :agree: Which is why a Front Panel Designer file would be precious.

** I see there are a number of crossover tubes ... that could be used in place of the EAA91 (which infers good availability!) .....

LINK = https://www.tubedepot.com/products/6al5 ... b91-cv4025

LINK = http://www.nosvacuumtubes.net/product-c ... rectifier/

It appears that the 6NPS triode also has fairly good availability ....

LINK = https://www.tubesforamps.com/6n3p-equivalent-tubes

I am interested, but I'd be more interested if there were a Front Panel Express file for the panel layout ... any format, as I discussed above.

By the way, super excellent work on developing this filter Member *Bard ... that sound! ... mine ears! ... oh my lord, mine ears!! ... THE AMAZINGLY GREAT SOUND!

Such an excellent and useful sound.

Well done, good sir. Well done indeed. This filter is certain to become a classic among the modular synth community ... this is doubtless. :tu:

(now then ... how about that FPE file?)

:yay:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

BARD
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BARD » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:05 am

degeneratedsines wrote:woah
I wasn't expecting a positive response for the external power connector.
Gotcha!

Thank you for your input, Rex Coil 7!
Rex Coil 7 wrote: ** I see there are a number of crossover tubes ... that could be used in place of the EAA91 (which infers good availability!) .....
Those equivalents will work without any changes to circuitry, but I really can supply matched EAA91s without problem (they were produced among others in Poland). Well, even unmatched ones will work, but at the expense of higher CV bleed (that shouldn't sound inferior for tube filter).
Rex Coil 7 wrote: It appears that the 6NPS triode also has fairly good availability ....
(I know you meant 6N3P)
I have not tested its equivalents yet.. Circuit is designed specifically for 6N3Ps and it's sensitive for biasing and anode voltage - I would prefer to supply selected 6N3Ps with proper gain and left tube change as an option for builder. Hey, it's always nice to have reference part.
I am interested, but I'd be more interested if there were a Front Panel Express file for the panel layout ... any format, as I discussed above.
I see that Front Panel Designer can import DXF Files, so it won't be a problem to make FPD file :)
I have cutout layer as well as vector text layer stored as DXF paths if anyone would want to use it with laser cutter / engraver.
By the way, super excellent work on developing this filter Member *Bard ... that sound! ... mine ears! ... oh my lord, mine ears!! ... THE AMAZINGLY GREAT SOUND!
:cloud:
Well done, good sir. Well done indeed. This filter is certain to become a classic among the modular synth community ... this is doubtless. :tu:
Sounds obliging!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”