Motivation Radio ESP32 Wifi/BLE platform

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Motivation Radio ESP32 Wifi/BLE platform

Post by Neutron7 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:14 pm

This is a design from Rich Heslip (not a muffs member) and I created the module layout and board. it will be entirely open source.

It is an ESP32 devkitC board, with BLE and WiFi, MIDI, 4 channels of external ADC and DAC

The idea is to have sketches running on the module in a similar way to Ornament and Crime, but controlled via touchosc, lemur, DAW, or other networked device/software.

There is no "official code" yet, he is testing out various different connectivity with apps and ways it can be used.

The ESP32 is reportedly faster than a teensy 3.2 and can be programmed with the arduino IDE. (this is his module, im waiting for my boards, so cant test it quite yet)

with network connectivity, besides more normal performace methods, I suppose someone could set up things like make your twitter likes trigger drums or the wind speed in Antarctica control a CV.

more info when i have it!

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:43 am

This looks exciting!

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

One issue that worries me slightly is power-consumption. I have a suspicion this might be a hungry little beast. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though.

Please keep us informed of developments!

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:21 pm

Any update on this? Looks awesome and would certainly buy one if you have one to sell. If so - PM me
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

SphericalSound
Common Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:07 pm

Pusherman has PCBs. I could build you one if you dont have the skills/time.

In fact it´s a lovely module with plenty of possibilities. It´s a shame that it has almost no software nor people tweaking it...

jmsiener
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Motivation Radio ESP32 Wifi/BLE platform

Post by jmsiener » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 am

Anyone out there with a motivation radio built that’s collecting dust? I’ve been fooling with mine a lot. Have the WiFiOSC script going and then parts of the whole picture. Just curious if anyone else out there was tinkering with it.

SphericalSound
Common Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:16 am

This has the potential of been the o_C killer. I cant understand why there´s no more people using it.

Yea, it needs some apps to start the snowball.

Also, anyone knows the power consumption?

jmsiener
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jmsiener » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:09 am

From what I’ve seen/read the ESP32 alone will draw ~40mA without being connected to anything (just your code), ~25 mA while flashing, but with WiFi going it’s more like ~125mA with 300-400mA spikes/pulses.

I’ve been having fun getting this module rolling and Rich provided a solid foundation but it’s still super complicated. Things that make the ESP32 pretty cool are also frustrating to implement. It’s super cool that any pin can be an interrupt but then you start learning that interrupts are just a pain on the ESP32 and can cause your code to fall apart in a heartbeat. The potential is awesome but compared to AVR or STM the resources just aren’t as developed.

Doesn’t mean I plan on giving up on it, just means it’ll be challenging.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”