Upgrading a KArp Odyssey; what are known mods?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

WonderAliceLand
Common Wiggler

Upgrading a KArp Odyssey; what are known mods?

Post by WonderAliceLand » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:08 pm

I'm getting a KArp Odyssey and I see some of the original Arps had patch points that you could add to them. I was wondering if there were any such mods for Korg's version of the Arp Odyssey (specifically Korg's module-version). I know there is the LFO mod which allows it to run freely by itself, but my research hasn't turned up much else, as most of what I get is information on the older 70's Odysseys.

Any help is appreciated, whether it is an explanation or a link!

Thanks in advance!

Mods known:
Independent LFO
Monophonic: CV in to out
Legato Response: Gate out to trig in

edit: did a bit more reading and found out patching CV out to CV in makes it monophonic, wondering if modding a switch to control a direct link to cv out and in will allow normal use of cv out and in with an option to flip a switch to make it a monophonic synth; in the manual "If you use the included mini‐phone cable to connect the TRIG IN jack and the GATE OUT jack, the ADSR EG will not be retriggered, allowing you to play legato."
Last edited by WonderAliceLand on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sputnik Modular Multi-Touch Keyboard, Expert Sleepers ES-9, Expert Sleepers ES-5, Arp 2600, Roland Bitrazer, MFB SEQ-01, Synsi Stomper, Tiptop Audio MA808, Tiptop Audio CB808, Tiptop Audio RS808, Tiptop Audio uZues Happy-Ending-Kit, Zlob Mini Attenuator, G-Storm Spring Tank Reverb, Circuit Slicers ADSR.
Making music and sound effects for videogames I am in various processes of making.

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:27 pm

Can you point me to the LFO mod?

Sorry for the non-answer!

WonderAliceLand
Common Wiggler

Post by WonderAliceLand » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Branko wrote:Can you point me to the LFO mod?

Sorry for the non-answer!
Apparently there is a good solution proposed here that works.
Sputnik Modular Multi-Touch Keyboard, Expert Sleepers ES-9, Expert Sleepers ES-5, Arp 2600, Roland Bitrazer, MFB SEQ-01, Synsi Stomper, Tiptop Audio MA808, Tiptop Audio CB808, Tiptop Audio RS808, Tiptop Audio uZues Happy-Ending-Kit, Zlob Mini Attenuator, G-Storm Spring Tank Reverb, Circuit Slicers ADSR.
Making music and sound effects for videogames I am in various processes of making.

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:02 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the link!

Jaytee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaytee » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:11 pm

The 4072 filter has the same flaw as the original; you can swap some resistors for increased frequency range.

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:06 am

Did the LFO mod just now. Definitely works!

kroffe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kroffe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:03 am

I’ve added an extra jack for CV2 out for the extra CV-offset sent to VCO2 when playing duophonic. This signal is found in the connector between the CPU and analogue card. Works great and allowing me true duophonic performance on my TTSH. Works over midi also of course. :)

WonderAliceLand
Common Wiggler

Post by WonderAliceLand » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:42 am

kroffe wrote:I’ve added an extra jack for CV2 out for the extra CV-offset sent to VCO2 when playing duophonic. This signal is found in the connector between the CPU and analogue card. Works great and allowing me true duophonic performance on my TTSH. Works over midi also of course. :)
Could I please have a link to more info or could I ask for a pic or two? I'd love to add that as I am switching to CV/eurorack only and would love to not have to re-purchase a midi keyboard just for duophony.

Thanks! :banana:

kroffe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kroffe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:48 pm

WonderAliceLand wrote:Could I please have a link to more info or could I ask for a pic or two? I'd love to add that as I am switching to CV/eurorack only and would love to not have to re-purchase a midi keyboard just for duophony.

Thanks! :banana:
Sorry, I dont seem to have taken any photos when I did the mod and unfortunatly I don’t have my kARP Oddy here at the moment. But it should be easy enough to measure - its a pad that adds another few volts when more keys than one is played.

WonderAliceLand
Common Wiggler

Post by WonderAliceLand » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:41 pm

kroffe wrote:Sorry, I dont seem to have taken any photos when I did the mod and unfortunatly I don’t have my kARP Oddy here at the moment. But it should be easy enough to measure - its a pad that adds another few volts when more keys than one is played.
Could you point it out in this pic, or is it not this motherboard?

Thanks for your help!

kroffe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kroffe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:19 pm

No, this card. And I believe I got the CV offset out of one of the pads circled.[/img]

WonderAliceLand
Common Wiggler

Post by WonderAliceLand » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:50 pm

kroffe wrote: No, this card. And I believe I got the CV offset out of one of the pads circled.[/img]
Thank you for going above and beyond and providing that picture!

If I follow the CV1 in, will it be a wire leading to a pad that will have an identical look/position in the second VCO section?

nickster
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Upgrading a KArp Odyssey; what are known mods?

Post by nickster » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:40 am

I'm interested if anyone knows of being able to add an LFO out and ADSR out mod for the Karp Odyssey?

artilect99
Common Wiggler

Post by artilect99 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:03 am

I've heard it said that the LFO, ADSR, etc. should all be available by tapping to the pads on the front panel toggle switches.

Personally I was thinking about pulling the internal keyboard CV off of the CV in switching jack, and running that and the tip of the jack into a little DC summing mixer. Theoretically this would allow the Oddy to receive CV in and keyboard CV at the same time, allowing to transpose CV sequences for example....

I'm intending to do the free run LFO mod, but I don't want to add a switch, so I'm trying to think of any reason why I would want it to retrigger on a keypress (so far I can't think of any)... for anyone who's done it, did it affect the LFO auto-triggering of the envelopes at all? Specifically, the little hiccup when the env is auto triggering and you press a key?

chocolatyshatner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chocolatyshatner » Mon May 18, 2020 10:48 am

Well, if the KARP LFO + envelope re-trigger functioned correctly, the LFO would reset with a key press, and in turn would trigger the envelope in tandem with a key press, so you could have your LFO triggered envelope in sync with playing the keyboard. As it is, the KARP doesn't function as the original in that regard, it's delayed, so you probably wouldn't lose much with a free-running LFO.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue May 19, 2020 3:31 am

Sound of free-run vs KBD reset LFO totally depends on the patch. More patches sound crap with free-run than reset, which is why reset is the default. Of oucrse, as with all things musical, YMMV.

artilect99
Common Wiggler

Post by artilect99 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:06 pm

the KARP doesn't function as the original in that regard
Now THAT would be a mod I'd be interested in-- how to fix the karp's misbehavior in this regard. Does anyone know why exactly it doesn't work as it should? I don't have an original to compare it to, all I know is if you press a key while in LFO auto trigger mode it sounds bad. I wonder if there's a way to disable keyboard triggering while LFO is triggering the envelope? So you could change the CV note being played via the keyboard but rely on the LFO to trigger on the envelopes on time...

Also I'm curious if they got it right on the Behringer odyssey clone.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”