performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Re: performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build

Post by cnicht » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:41 am

If you’ve measured the main supply voltages then measure the other rails in the same way

dlavila
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dlavila » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:05 pm

the correct way is to download kicad, open the board and find the traces with the rails, if you are only using the online viewer you can identify the voltage sources and measure the voltage in all the legs (they only have three or four legs, the correct way is to open the datasheet of the component to identify the leg with the output voltage). Both 3.3V sources come from the LM1117s and the 10Vref comes from the LM4040.

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:09 pm

If I want to measure the +5V, if I look to the online board viewer and click on +5V, that shows the same components than +12V (same for other voltages). What am I missing here? Do you use schematics to verify other voltages? Because I was able to find +5V on schematics and measuring C6, for instance.

dlavila
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dlavila » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:18 pm

5V is generated from 12 V, so the component generating 5V is going to have a connection to 12V

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:22 pm

OK, something that I don't understand is how to measure 2 different voltages on the same component…

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:23 pm

For ICs i understand that some pads are -12, 12V… but for ceramic capacitors?

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:02 am

Question about the OLED display: is it the golden pins that we insert in the socket?

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:14 am

Some news: I finished building, it works fine. I had to test the sequencer quickly with tester hex because I had to return the pc. Thank you for your help!
A few points to note, it looks like the CV2 and CV6 outputs were slightly out of tune compared to others, I would say a little less than a semitone.
I don't have Kicad (my mac is too old to install it). But looking at the schematic I would say for:
CV2 watch and reflow R29/R24/R25/C12/U4
CV6 watch and reflow R53/R54/R57C34/U15

Is that correct? do you have any other recommendations or advice?

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:13 pm

Issues solved! I reflowed all components cited above + U8 and DAC pads on the STM.

omega8870
Learning to Wiggle

Post by omega8870 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:05 am

Hey fellow builders!

I'm very excited to try getting this module assembled. I'm currently going through the BOM and getting my parts sourced. The only issues I've got is the STMicroelectronics STMPS2151STR. This is a power distribution IC, a SOT23 package. None of the American parts vendors have this in stock; Mouser, DigiKey, Arrow, and Newark. Nobody!

I'd really appreciate if anyone who has built this module maybe have a spare of this part they are willing to sale?

My current alternative is TME via DHL. $10 shipping for a $0.80 item.

I would be even more impressed if someone could point out a drop-in alternative/replacement.

Thanks!

dlavila
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dlavila » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:20 pm

you can use a STMPS2171STR, rated for 1A instead of 0.5 . When I built mine both were out of stock, so I picked a AP2822EKETR-G1, it performs the same function, slightly different specs, but works fine.

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:59 am

Can someone explain to me what the switches SW8 and SW19 are for? I'm currently wondering if I can do without soldering them.
This will also help me to know what they are used for on MI Elements, because I recently finished it with these switches soldered but I also don't know what they are used for…

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:04 pm

They’re used for system Reset and putting it in Bootloader mode respectively.

Unless you’re planning on programming via the Bootloader interface they can be omitted (I did)

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:04 pm

Hales wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:59 am
Can someone explain to me what the switches SW8 and SW19 are for? I'm currently wondering if I can do without soldering them.
This will also help me to know what they are used for on MI Elements, because I recently finished it with these switches soldered but I also don't know what they are used for…
You can omit them, but they are good for troubleshooting or testing. Same with MI modules, I haven't included them in any of my builds unless they are necessary for flashing the chip.

EDIT: you are fast cnicht.
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

Kennymester
Common Wiggler

Post by Kennymester » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:47 pm

Hey friends!

So I've built 4 Performers in the past and in a couple I ran into issues but nothing that couldn't be solved by doing some troubleshooting tracing lines and reflowing or resoldering. This time around I'm running into a very strange problem I cannot for the life of me figure out. I was able to build the power section correctly and successfully program the MCU with no issues. However when applying power I cannot get it to boot or do anything. So far I've troubleshooted the whole power section and made sure all chips are getting what they need. I've checked the crystal to make sure it's connected properly. I've checked the boot and reset pins to make sure they are being held correct. Checked the MOSI pins to make sure that each section is connected properly. I've tried multiple PSUs as well.

I can post a pic if needed of the PCB. I'm really at my wits end and the end of my knowledge of what else to try. I have a full set of all the ICs just in case it would be worth it to swap in anything else.

Thanks for your help!

PS I have a decent multimeter but only have one of those cheap DSO kits as a scope.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:23 am

Photos?

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:06 am

steviet wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:04 pm
Hales wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:59 am
You can omit them, but they are good for troubleshooting or testing. Same with MI modules, I haven't included them in any of my builds unless they are necessary for flashing the chip.

EDIT: you are fast cnicht.
OK thanks!

Kennymester
Common Wiggler

Post by Kennymester » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:51 am

Kennymester wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:47 pm
Hey friends!

So I've built 4 Performers in the past and in a couple I ran into issues but nothing that couldn't be solved by doing some troubleshooting tracing lines and reflowing or resoldering. This time around I'm running into a very strange problem I cannot for the life of me figure out. I was able to build the power section correctly and successfully program the MCU with no issues. However when applying power I cannot get it to boot or do anything. So far I've troubleshooted the whole power section and made sure all chips are getting what they need. I've checked the crystal to make sure it's connected properly. I've checked the boot and reset pins to make sure they are being held correct. Checked the MOSI pins to make sure that each section is connected properly. I've tried multiple PSUs as well.

I can post a pic if needed of the PCB. I'm really at my wits end and the end of my knowledge of what else to try. I have a full set of all the ICs just in case it would be worth it to swap in anything else.

Thanks for your help!

PS I have a decent multimeter but only have one of those cheap DSO kits as a scope.

Was able to sort my problem. Seems I swapped 100n caps in for the crystal caps. All good and working.

BadPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by BadPixel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:22 am

Finished my first Performer last weekend and I must say I enjoyed the build even if I ended up hand soldering it :) Only hit one snag on the way; a bad joint on one of the 4148's. Was gonna add it to my modular grid rack but couldn't find it. Any reason why it's not up there?

Image Image

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:21 am

flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

BadPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by BadPixel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:35 am

Thank you :tu: Why didn’t I think of that. Kind of weird that modules listed under unknown won’t show up in search results unless you specifically select unknown manufacturer :hmm:

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:48 pm

Yes, I don't really understand that either. But at least it's there. A lot of DIY stuff turns up in unknown. I know that when adding new modules, as I have, there's a lot of boxes and stuff to get right, and it's easy to miss things or get bored and quit early.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

PabloSrNaranja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi all. I´m having a problema flashing the module directly with the st-link and the bootloader.hex file.
I had succesfully flashed Braids and Clouds modules and this one is getting me a typical error:

20:56:59 : Can not connect to target!
Please select "Connect Under Reset" mode from Target->Settings menu and try again.
If you're trying to connect to a Discovery board, please select SWD mode from Target->Settings menu.
20:57:05 : No target connected
20:57:21 : Can not connect to target!
Please select "Connect Under Reset" mode from Target->Settings menu and try again.
If you're trying to connect to a Discovery board, please select SWD mode from Target->Settings menu.

All the pins are conected to the ARM chip legs (tested) and the power section seems to be ok.
I asume I have to externally power the module to flash it, is ok? Also does the buttons (reset and boot) have something to do with this?

Thanks and regards.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:36 pm

Have you checked the supply voltages on the Performer board?

PabloSrNaranja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:51 pm

cnicht wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:36 pm
Have you checked the supply voltages on the Performer board?
Yes, all seems to be ok.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”