performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Re: performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build

Post by sduck » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:30 pm

That's the error you get when your connector isn't connected right somehow. I hope you tried reversing the jtag connector?
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

PabloSrNaranja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:58 am

cnicht wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:36 am
Just use the hex files on GitHub and ST-Link Utilty

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools ... nk004.html
Did I need to power the module from the eurorack rail or the st-link will give the 3,3v? I know in other cases is need to extrenally power the unit

PabloSrNaranja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:00 am

sduck wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:30 pm
That's the error you get when your connector isn't connected right somehow. I hope you tried reversing the jtag connector?
Yes, I tryed both. I will duble check, but noresponse at the moment. Can you please confirm if it is necesary to externally provide power to the module? or the ST-Link is enough to program it?

woodster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by woodster » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:21 am

Yes, you need to power the Performer, impossible to upload bootloader or firmware without power.
I've also had that message when I've had the jtag connector the wrong way round.
How are you connecting from the ST Link to jtag?
I paid for one of the olimex adapters having had problems trying to bodge my own st link - jtag cables.

PabloSrNaranja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:30 am

woodster wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:21 am
Yes, you need to power the Performer, impossible to upload bootloader or firmware without power.
I've also had that message when I've had the jtag connector the wrong way round.
How are you connecting from the ST Link to jtag?
I paid for one of the olimex adapters having had problems trying to bodge my own st link - jtag cables.
Hi!.

I tryed with power but no good news. I use the St-Link to Jtag conector, I will upload two fotos, one of the board and one of the adaptor.
I thing I have all the required components soldered to program the board.
Attachments
Foto 19-10-20 12 26 49.jpg
Foto 19-10-20 12 24 16.jpg

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:29 am

PabloSrNaranja wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:30 am
Hi!.

I tryed with power but no good news. I use the St-Link to Jtag conector, I will upload two fotos, one of the board and one of the adaptor.
You might want to check for shorts across the pins of the JTAG header. Do you have an illuminate loupe/magnifier? I'd definitely invest in one, if you haven't already. They're invaluable for situations like this.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:56 am

Is the ST-Utility program recognising the ST-Link?

I've had a few glitches with mine and there is an option in the menu to connect/update.

PabloSrNaranja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:18 am

toneburst wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:29 am
PabloSrNaranja wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:30 am
Hi!.

You might want to check for shorts across the pins of the JTAG header. Do you have an illuminate loupe/magnifier? I'd definitely invest in one, if you haven't already. They're invaluable for situations like this.
Ye, all checked and good. I have a Loupe and I also use my smartphone macro as a viewer, it works nice.
Thanks for the help.

PabloSrNaranja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:16 am

cnicht wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:56 am

I've had a few glitches with mine and there is an option in the menu to connect/update.
Yes, it works nice with other modules and recognice the ST link.

Thanks for the help

Hales
Common Wiggler

Post by Hales » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:48 pm

I just got the launchpad mini MK2, everything is working fine but I have a slight artifact sound when holding the "1" button on launchpad.
Does anyone have the same experience? Is it possible to solve it?

PabloSrNaranja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:01 pm

PabloSrNaranja wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:16 am
cnicht wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:56 am

Yes, it works nice with other modules and recognice the ST link.

Thanks for the help
Finally managed to program it after a big reflow.

Thanks for the help.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:02 pm

hello fine people. i've been digging into some of the routing options and noticing when selecting one of the external CV ins I get unexpected behavior. on a static pattern with no routing applied to the track, i get expected results, but when routing one of the CV ins to transpose or octave shift, the pattern changes with no inputs to the CV in jacks. i checked the monitor and there does seem to be activity there, but not enough of a range fluctuation to get the changes i'm hearing. with routing enabled to transpose or octave, it'll get changes with +/- .03 CV (according to the Monitor page)

here's a screenshot of what i'm seeing, and they all flicker quickly, it's not just a static offset from 0.00v. does this sound like a hardware issue or a calibration issue? sadly i'm not handy with a soldering iron, so hopefully it's the latter. (perhaps someone will identify their own handiwork, it's a pretty unique encoder knob and arrangement of cap colors!)

i shot a video as well, and i'd happily upload it should it be useful, but as i only have mobile phone access to internet and it takes a while to complete the process, i'll wait for someone to confirm.
Screenshot_20201108-124437.png

dlavila
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dlavila » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:53 am

there is going to be some noise of the cv inputs are not grounded, did you try connecting them to some dc voltage for the same experiment

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:21 am

The CV Inputs are connected to ground if no cable is patched to them.

Are you able to measure the signal on the CV Inputs?

dlavila
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dlavila » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:02 am

cnicht wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:21 am
The CV Inputs are connected to ground if no cable is patched to them.

Are you able to measure the signal on the CV Inputs?
yes, sorry my mistake, I just checked the schematic

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:45 am

thanks for the suggestions - i took a 1.00v offset and plugged it into the CV ins and the flickering behavior persisted for each track, it only offset each value as shown above.

the more i explore my module, the less confidence i have the build is correct. i've spent days trying to get a midi signal in and out with no success, via the usb and midi jacks. one reason i suspect this - and not that my menu settings are incorrect - is the calibration on the System page (screenshot below): when i check each track, the voltage levels are quite different, even after ensuring there's no voltage (step) applied to the track. i would assume they would all would be figures near each other. this screenshot is track 2, 3 and 4, after verifying on the Monitor page there was no CV on the output (if that even matters.)

sorry for bombing questions on a build page - i'm nearly at the point where i'd pay to ship it to someone who has used the midi implementation to verify mine is functioning correctly. i don't see midi being received on the monitor page or hear it being sent to the correct track routing either. this is despite having a the Midi Input on the Project page set to All, ensuring the Layout page has the correct track set as Midi/CV, and having the correct Routing settings applied (Source set to MIDI Omni) to the track i'm monitoring pitch on.

thanks for reading, i guess determining whether the screenshot below appears correct is the first step before taking action to ensure the build functions correctly.
System Calibration page.JPG

dlavila
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dlavila » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:46 am

one easy way to check if midi is working is to flash the testing hex, connect midi in to midi out (with a stereo 3.5mm cable) and then press buttons to generate notes (in the midi testing page), you should see both sent and received matching notes

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:49 pm

dlavila wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:46 am
one easy way to check if midi is working is to flash the testing hex, connect midi in to midi out (with a stereo 3.5mm cable) and then press buttons to generate notes (in the midi testing page), you should see both sent and received matching notes
appreciate the tip! unfortunately i don't have much free time, and so i'd rather not spend what little i have troubleshooting. but your suggestion seems easy enough to figure out in an hour or two.

in the meantime i ordered another din connecter after confirming with the previous owner which brand worked for him. also, i came across sducks amazing video showing off all the variations this sequencer is capable of - and as i've been digging in deeper it was inspiring to learn this thing in and out.. one thing i really enjoy lately is playing with start points and clock division using internal cv tracks in the routing section.

one question for the pros here: has anyone found a way to use the arpeggiator on an internally generated signal? or even on one of the CV inputs? seems its only available on a midi channel, but thought i'd ask anyway. again, sorry for mucking up a build thread, not too many places to discuss this module.

Quinie
Common Wiggler

Post by Quinie » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:00 am

Maybe is my unlucky searches but there seems to be a v1.1 pcb with thonky's. Is this on github? because I can't find it in the zip I downloaded

Jumper981
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jumper981 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:53 pm

Hi to all!
I’m getting some troubles calibrating my Performer.
The outputs are really floating (4.7 initial state and after some time it gets to 5).
Do yours perform the same?

dlavila
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dlavila » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:30 pm

Quinie wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:00 am
Maybe is my unlucky searches but there seems to be a v1.1 pcb with thonky's. Is this on github? because I can't find it in the zip I downloaded
I have pcbs with thonky's but with some extra modifications (in NL)

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:16 pm

pretty sure my board has v2 written on it.. though i glanced briefly and wasn't looking for that info. i think it was earlier in one of the build threads i saw mr MSW proposing improvements, are there two PCB versions out there?

AlanP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AlanP » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:49 pm

Michigan Synth Works did a limited run with thonkiconns. I think they're currently sold out.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:32 pm

There's a slightly modified BOM for these, mainly to do with the button height if I recall correctly.
IMG_2941.JPG
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Quinie
Common Wiggler

Post by Quinie » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:21 am

dlavila wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:30 pm
Quinie wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:00 am
I have pcbs with thonky's but with some extra modifications (in NL)
Where in the same country, but I would like it with a stencil so I can put it in my new oven.

A saw a post on the facebook

Performer Eurorack Sequencer
8 april 2019 ·
Pretty much done with the board revision 1.1. It includes:

So I thought it might be on github since it was posted in 2019.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”