performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dlavila
Learning to Wiggle

Re: performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build

Post by dlavila » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:06 am

I have a stencil, I can borrow it

Quinie
Common Wiggler

Post by Quinie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:39 am

Hi Dlavila,

That is a very nice offer. But I'm hesitant to go with it. The stencil could get damage and Amsterdam is not in the neighbourhoud I could drive over.
My oven is still in build process so I would hold on to the stencil for quite some time probably.

I might get back to you, your offer is really appreciate.

For me the question really is do I need to get a v1.1 or will the v1.0 do? And if so are there any known bug I could possible fix myself on v1?
Else I could get my stencil and pcb made for v1. I don't mind the thonky or other jacks. Might be even better cause got a lot of them and most modules use thonky's these days.

synthetek
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synthetek » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:35 pm

Quinie wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:39 am

For me the question really is do I need to get a v1.1 or will the v1.0 do?
The 1.0 is the official version from westlicht , the 1.1 was not from westlicht its modified for thonkiconn jacks and some other stuff but its no longer available. You are fine with the 1.0

grizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzle » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:24 am

Hello all,

I have a programmer question. I own a mac and don't want to figure out programming my performer in terminal so I borrowed my fathers old windows 7 computer. I installed the st-link software and the drivers as well that are on the st.com site. When I try and start st-link I get a message that I am missing "MFC140u.dll" and that the program can't start. Does anyone understand why I am getting this message and what the solution is? Also, My programmer is a: ST-LINK /V2 with the code "B 2014 45" on it.

EDIT: I fixed the issue and in case someone runs into the same problem the solution is to install both the x86 and x64 versions of Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 RC

Cheers,
Alex
Tunes-----> apartmentfox.bandcamp.com

greghansonmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by greghansonmusic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:09 pm

Hi friends,

Gearing up to tackle this build.
I’ve never programmed an MCU before and am wondering if anyone has accomplished this by using STMs (newish?) multi-os solution on Mac OS? Everything I’ve read seems to confirm that I should be able to do this with a st-link/v2 and olimex adapter but wanted to see if anyone has had any success using this method or can advice of this wouldn’t work at all.

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools ... CK1J8Xeh3I

Thanks in advance!

greghansonmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by greghansonmusic » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:59 pm

greghansonmusic wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:09 pm
Hi friends,

I’ve never programmed an MCU before and am wondering if anyone has accomplished this by using STMs (newish?) multi-os solution on Mac OS? Everything I’ve read seems to confirm that I should be able to do this with a st-link/v2 and olimex adapter but wanted to see if anyone has had any success using this method or can advice of this wouldn’t work at all.

Thanks in advance!
Well, I spent more time trying to get the cube programmer to open on Mac OS than I did installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 via bootcamp and doing it that way... so if anyone is wondering about flashing with Mac OS.....

dlavila
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dlavila » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:17 am

greghansonmusic wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:59 pm
greghansonmusic wrote:
Hi friends,

Thanks in advance!
Well, I spent more time trying to get the cube programmer to open on Mac OS than I did installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 via bootcamp and doing it that way... so if anyone is wondering about flashing with Mac OS.....
same experience here
another alternative is to use a virtual development environment with vagrant, the one from mutable instruments works to build and flash this project

greghansonmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by greghansonmusic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:16 am

dlavila wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:17 am
greghansonmusic wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:59 pm
greghansonmusic wrote:
Hi friends,

Thanks in advance!
same experience here
another alternative is to use a virtual development environment with vagrant, the one from mutable instruments works to build and flash this project
Thanks for that! I’ll look into that if my bootcamp method fails but atm I don’t have any reason to believe it will. I’ll have to cough up the dough and pay microsoft for windows 10 eventually but i am impressed that they don’t cripple software.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:52 pm

I believe the demo version of windows will work well enough to run STUtility for programming this thing.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

greghansonmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by greghansonmusic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:21 pm

sduck wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:52 pm
I believe the demo version of windows will work well enough to run STUtility for programming this thing.

Yeah! It seems like it should get me through the procedure painlessly. I only mean to say that eventually I’ll pay my share for using Windows for free now — haha.

sduck

Post by sduck » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:38 pm

Once in a while it's generally a good idea to pay for the thing. In my case, many years ago I paid for a boxed version of the cheapest windows 7 - and the validation code (or whatever it's called) still works on the latest thing, which I've got running in boot camp on several macs.

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:48 am

dlavila wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:17 am
Flash - yes;

build - make sure that you have installed the correct toolchain version otherwise you may run into random odd problems (stm32s can be quite sensitive to toolchain versions and you can see unexpected odd behaviour in different toolchains, which is why virtual machines are so nice as you can keep different build environments stable for multiple projects)

greghansonmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by greghansonmusic » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:42 am

sduck wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:38 pm
Once in a while it's generally a good idea to pay for the thing. In my case, many years ago I paid for a boxed version of the cheapest windows 7 - and the validation code (or whatever it's called) still works on the latest thing, which I've got running in boot camp on several macs.
Hahaha yeah, long streaks with software always fees rewarding. I went about nearly a decade on a single license purchase for Pro Tools. Made it as far as PT12 before I eventually was needed to fork over cash because of OS comparability.

sduck

Post by sduck » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:06 pm

Ack. My performer has been working perfectly for like a year or more now. Today, powered it on and...
IMG_3186.JPG
That particular array of pixels is static by the way, no movement. Is my screen dead? Or worse? Ack.

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:52 pm

Ouch. Sorry to see that sduck! Here's to hoping for a simple speedy repair my friend! :guinness:
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

mcnys
Common Wiggler

Post by mcnys » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:49 am

i'm going to order pcb and panel next week from jlcpcb, by looking in KiCad sequencers pcb is a 2 layer, right? Also panel pcb should not be thicker than 1.6mil?

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:14 am

sduck wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:06 pm
Ack. My performer has been working perfectly for like a year or more now. Today, powered it on and...
IMG_3186.JPG
That particular array of pixels is static by the way, no movement. Is my screen dead? Or worse? Ack.
Are any of the LEDs lit?

sduck

Post by sduck » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:36 am

cnicht wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:14 am
sduck wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:06 pm
IMG_3186.JPG
Are any of the LEDs lit?
No. And the buttons are unresponsive. I have yet to remove the panel and check the components. Will spend more time with it this evening.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:00 pm

Check the voltage rails are present.

The microcontroller needs both the 3.3V rails.

sduck

Post by sduck » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:20 pm

Ok, it's all very odd. U16 is working correctly, putting out 5v as it should. But for whatever reason by the time that 5v should be getting to U7 and U10, it's down to 1.7v, and those regulators are putting out -3.3v each. I can't figure out what's pulling it down like that. Maybe this is the excuse I've been looking for to build another improved version of this - my soldering is much better these days anyway.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:09 am

Are you measuring in the right place?

3.3 + 1.7 = 5.0

sduck

Post by sduck » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:58 am

Probably not.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:19 pm

I think you’re measuring the voltage drop across the regulators.

Is the microcontroller producing signals?

sduck

Post by sduck » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:15 pm

Sorry if I'm being lame about following up on this. I'm just not feeling an immediate need to get this fixed, but I probably still should.

Is there any kind of chart anywhere showing where to measure what voltages? I actually do know how to read schematics and measure voltages (at least I think I do), and am highly suspicious of what I'm seeing, but there's still a good chance I'm doing it wrong.

Edit: just checked the voltage again, after thinking a bit about how to do it. U7 and U10 are actually getting and putting out the correct voltages.

How do I tell if the microprocessor is producing signals?

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:51 am

You’ll need an oscilloscope.

The microcontroller pins are difficult to probe but you could check where it connects to other ICs (U5 for example)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”