performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dlavila
Learning to Wiggle

Re: performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build

Post by dlavila » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:06 am

if you built the performer yourself maybe you have a programmer, you could try reading the memory of the MCU

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:56 pm

Ok, fixed - attached the programmer, reflashed the bootloader, it started right up like nothing had ever happened.

Thanks cnicht and diavila for your help!
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:45 am

Excellent!

Intrigued to know why the microcontroller ‘lost’ its memory?

gbiz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gbiz » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:30 am

It only takes one corrupted bit in a vector, jump or branch address in the program code to have the MCU executing from an invalid location.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:38 am

Possibly a cosmic ray event?

gbiz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gbiz » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:38 pm

I've never heard of them flipping a bit in flash memory (this is permanent as it persists across reboots). I know it used to be an issue with dram, less so now as a lot of that has ecc.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:00 pm

The performer sits in the middle of the bottom row of my fairly large cabinet - 6 rows of 168hp each. So what happens a lot in the frenzy of patcing is that loose patch cords, or ones with just one end connected, fall onto the bottom row. It's possible maybe one of those was putting out some kind of voltage, while lying touching something on the performer, maybe while it was being powered on or something, and somehow that zapped it. I don't know, just guessing.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:41 pm

Occam’s Razor

cathmart
Common Wiggler

Post by cathmart » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:40 am

'm having a small problem with a PER|FORMER sequencer build. There is only 2.3v going to the screen, so it doesn't work. Ive checked around the 3.3v net but some of the points are 3.3v and some 2.3v. I cant find the root of the problem? any ideas? electrolytic caps? the LM1117's the 3 leg side is 3.3v the big leg is 2.3v. I've changed them for new ones, no change. Triple checked they are 3.3v that I ordered.
Photo attached - red dots are 2.3v green dots are 3.3v.
Attachments
red dots.jpeg

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:10 am

Is the DC-DC converter supplying 5V?

cathmart
Common Wiggler

Post by cathmart » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:05 pm

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
YES! that's it - putting out 3.3v. its the wrong one...I need a 5v one. thank you so much.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:11 am

It’s always a good idea to place the power supply components and check the voltage rails first before placing the rest of the components.

The Build Guide for the Performer outlines this strategy.

cathmart
Common Wiggler

Post by cathmart » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:54 pm

cnicht wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:11 am
It’s always a good idea to place the power supply components and check the voltage rails first before placing the rest of the components.

YES, I got overconfident and just checked a few, thinking that all was well. And the fact it booted up first time. BUT! its a lesson, check as instructed.

jackpf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jackpf » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:42 pm

sduck wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:06 pm
Ack. My performer has been working perfectly for like a year or more now. Today, powered it on and...
IMG_3186.JPG
That particular array of pixels is static by the way, no movement. Is my screen dead? Or worse? Ack.
Oh my god, same thing happened to me just now - it's been working fine for months and then boom.
IC voltages were fine, went to try a reflash and ST-Link wasn't detecting it at all, had no idea what to do so came here to check this thread!

Turns out I had a bad connection to the JTAG header, I must've screwed it up when I was fixing a loose connection to the SD card slot.
Fixed the pin, reflashed and everything is working again. phew

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:26 am

cathmart wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:54 pm
cnicht wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:11 am

YES, I got overconfident and just checked a few, thinking that all was well. And the fact it booted up first time. BUT! its a lesson, check as instructed.
Let us know that all is well when you swap the DC-DC converter?

bentonp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bentonp » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:50 pm

Hi everyone, hope you're safe and well.

I'm just wondering if anyone has flashed the Per|former using JP6?
I bought an ST-Link V2 but don't have the JP4 JTAG cable.

Regards,

Benton

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:39 am

youll need that regardless to flash the bootloader. serial upload still requires a bootloader in place

bentonp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bentonp » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:34 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:39 am
youll need that regardless to flash the bootloader. serial upload still requires a bootloader in place
Thanks, I understand. Do you know if there's a cable from the 10 pin normal header to the 10 pin mini header?

bentonp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bentonp » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:36 am

Thanks! I just ordered the original ST-LINK/V2 and the ARM-JTAG-20-10 adapter from Mouser plus an additional OLED display this time Blue. The header pins were too long bent the display and broke. Will post my built when manage to flash it. Regards

jackpf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jackpf » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:56 pm

Hi all, I've seen it mentioned before but wonder if anyone has any new solutions -
The performer's screen makes an audible hum and causes interference with other modules. It's not noticeable with proper gain staging, but still a little annoying.

I am using a switching power supply, and found that if I power the performer from my (linear) bench power supply, the problem seems to go away.

But before I splash out on a linear supply for the modular, has anyone had any success in reducing this noise somehow? I'm a hardware noob so any suggestions welcome

KittenVillage
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KittenVillage » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:20 pm

jackpf wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:56 pm
Hi all, I've seen it mentioned before but wonder if anyone has any new solutions -
The performer's screen makes an audible hum and causes interference with other modules. It's not noticeable with proper gain staging, but still a little annoying.

I am using a switching power supply, and found that if I power the performer from my (linear) bench power supply, the problem seems to go away.

But before I splash out on a linear supply for the modular, has anyone had any success in reducing this noise somehow? I'm a hardware noob so any suggestions welcome
I'm just spitballing, but the PreenFM2 had a lot of issues with a similar display. So much so that there's guides as to how to fold an aluminum foil shield for it. There are also discussion on the forums for it about replacing a part on the display to help with the noise. (Sorry if this isn't too helpful.)

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

jackpf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jackpf » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:16 am

KittenVillage wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:20 pm
jackpf wrote:

I'm just spitballing, but the PreenFM2 had a lot of issues with a similar display. So much so that there's guides as to how to fold an aluminum foil shield for it. There are also discussion on the forums for it about replacing a part on the display to help with the noise. (Sorry if this isn't too helpful.)
Oh no, that's very useful, thanks! I guess this is the thread you're referring to: https://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?topic=69159.0

I don't know if the noise is caused by electrical or magnetic interference (my guess would be electrical since using linear supply solves the problem), but I guess i can test by hooking up the screen with some jumper cables and have it far away from the module, and see if the noise still occurs.

I don't quite understand the bit about adding the resistor & connecting pin 2 & 15 though - on the datasheet pin 15 is "no connect". Could anyone with greater technical skills than me confirm if this is a good idea or not? :D

KittenVillage
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KittenVillage » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:32 am

jackpf wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:16 am
KittenVillage wrote:
jackpf wrote:

Oh no, that's very useful, thanks! I guess this is the thread you're referring to: https://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?topic=69159.0

I don't know if the noise is caused by electrical or magnetic interference (my guess would be electrical since using linear supply solves the problem), but I guess i can test by hooking up the screen with some jumper cables and have it far away from the module, and see if the noise still occurs.

I don't quite understand the bit about adding the resistor & connecting pin 2 & 15 though - on the datasheet pin 15 is "no connect". Could anyone with greater technical skills than me confirm if this is a good idea or not? :D
Also check out this thread which mentions switching an inductor on the display.
http://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?topic=69470.0

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

jackpf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jackpf » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:58 pm

KittenVillage wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:32 am
jackpf wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:16 am
KittenVillage wrote:
jackpf wrote:

Also check out this thread which mentions switching an inductor on the display.
http://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?topic=69470.0
Ah interesting, that makes more sense to me. Maybe it is just the unshielded inductor, I'll do some investigation. Cheers!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”