performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

cathmart
Common Wiggler

Re: performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build

Post by cathmart » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:53 am

cnicht wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:26 am
cathmart wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:54 pm
cnicht wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:11 am
It’s always a good idea to place the power supply components and check the voltage rails first before placing the rest of the components.

The Build Guide for the Performer outlines this strategy.
YES, I got overconfident and just checked a few, thinking that all was well. And the fact it booted up first time. BUT! its a lesson, check as instructed.
Let us know that all is well when you swap the DC-DC converter?
OOOH, I am so sorry.
Yep it was just that dc/dc converter.
There is no way I would put an IC on a board without first examining it, the schematic, the orientation and the BOM.
The dc/dc converter I just took from my parts kit at face value, it was totally and clearly marked 3.3v.
A stupid mistake.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:22 am

Excellent

Learning to Wiggle

Post by 0110 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:00 am

Hello!

I have finished building my performer and I have a problems. I have uploaded sequencer.hex and bootloader.hex and it does the sequence of lights between T1 and S16 on startup. If I press Play the light blinks. So i think that is correctly flashed.

The problem: the screen does not show anything. I have 3.2V so I understand that it is powered.

I have no idea where to start checking. Please, any recommendation?

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:17 am

The display has 5 signal connections to the microcontroller.

I’d check the integrity of these.

Learning to Wiggle

Post by 0110 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:03 am

Thanks! I will try to reflow the MCU.

Should the screen have power show some lighting? Currently not only does it not print data, but it appears "off".

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:14 am

It depends on the control signals applied to it

Learning to Wiggle

Post by 0110 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:40 pm

Reflow without success. Now the lights do not turn on, although the board still has correct power on rails. :)

I will keep trying...

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:24 pm

Photos might be the next step

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:25 pm

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:25 am

Hi, copying for the other performer post (the non diy one/
Well i have run into a brick wall.
My (3rd) perofrmer build doesnt really work....well none of the leds do.
The lcd works, flashing the mcu, but none of the leds work.
I have replaced ALL ic´s and still no live on the leds.
Any ideas where i should start looking? All components are the same as used on other builds and the same as in the bom.
All diodes measure correct voltages, all leds show same readings?
What feeds the leds?
Thanks!
Ps: I tried test mode and obviously leds are not working :(

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:33 am

Solved, reflowed and all good now.
Cheers

Learning to Wiggle

Post by 0110 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:56 am

cnicht wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:25 pm
Works!! Thanks very much.

cnicht
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:42 pm

Excellent

Learning to Wiggle

Post by 0110 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:56 pm

Two small doubts:

- Which SD card is recommended?
- When I go to "Monitor" I see that CV in reads -0.02 to -0.04. If i send 1V it read 0.96 V to 0.98 V. Depends on the input.
Can they be calibrated? Is there a way to set it to 0.00?

ghandipants
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ghandipants » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:30 pm

Hello fellow Westlicht'ians - a little help if you can spare it -

I recently bought a "second user" Performer running 1.3.6 and would dearly love to bring it up to the current firmware, both the "hold on power up" and the utilities menu "hold to reset to bootloader" methods both result in the same failure : the unit appears dead until power to the box is reset (there is no further display or led activity once the encoder is depressed).

The SD card contains only a .DAT file named "LAST.DAT" and a folder containing preset saves - it's currently both reading and writing to those saves without problem. I've offered the unit several of the alt firmwares : 1.3.7 and increments but it's not responsive once the encoder is pressed

As a newcomer to this unit I could really do with a bit of assistance, can anyone help a brother out with this ?

P......l.......e......a......s......e

bentonp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bentonp » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:27 pm

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-04 at 7.14.58 PM.jpeg
Hi everyone, hope you're doing well.

I have this problem "No SD Detected" then I proceeded to check for the connector and there was a bridge in between pin 7 and GND. But the problem persist, then I checked for connection to the ARM and found R11 with 32K ohms instead of 33K.

Any idea? Anyone?

Thanks, regards

B.

Learning to Wiggle

Post by 0110 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:15 pm

ghandipants wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:30 pm
Hello fellow Westlicht'ians - a little help if you can spare it -

I recently bought a "second user" Performer running 1.3.6 and would dearly love to bring it up to the current firmware, both the "hold on power up" and the utilities menu "hold to reset to bootloader" methods both result in the same failure : the unit appears dead until power to the box is reset (there is no further display or led activity once the encoder is depressed).

The SD card contains only a .DAT file named "LAST.DAT" and a folder containing preset saves - it's currently both reading and writing to those saves without problem. I've offered the unit several of the alt firmwares : 1.3.7 and increments but it's not responsive once the encoder is pressed

As a newcomer to this unit I could really do with a bit of assistance, can anyone help a brother out with this ?

P......l.......e......a......s......e
I have not updated with SD. I have only tried via JTAG, with the STM programmer.

Have you tried trying the update without any SD? When I launch update on mine without SD inside, it takes me to a screen where it indicates the version of the bootloader (0.2 mine) and show an error for not finding the card. I think that it can help to rule out if it is a problem in the file/sd or is the bootloader.

ghandipants
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ghandipants » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:52 pm

Hi 0110, thanks for responding :) I've just tried your suggestion of "start up without SD" and it boots straight to the sequencer as normal - if I go through the update proceedure with no SD inserted the result is the same as I originally reported - no bootloader screen and a "dead unit" untill I cycle the power and once again it boots straight to the sequencer as normal.

I have no STM programmer ( I'm assuming you are talking about stlink or equivilent) and can find no clear instruction for a novice in using one for the Performer, which I find really surprising considering the wealth of info available regarding the physical build. (I'd willingly invest in an StLink set up if that is what is required to resolve this but as a novice would feel the need for some guidance)

I do have access to a Fdti/usb cable which I have used to flash my Abstract Data ADE 32 - it (the cable) has the same six pin femail as the JP6 header on the Performer, the JP6 header is marked up as "Serial/Bootloader" on the build guide page here https://westlicht.github.io/performer/build/ibom.html But I'm not prepared to experiment based on my uneducated supposition.

Do you know if the JP6 Serial port is an alternative interface? If not, since you are familiar with the programing routine via the JTAG and STM adapter it would be cool if you could fill in this blank with quick guide/tutorial, I know the scripting guide is already out there it's just an "idiots guide " to interfacing with the unit that is needed.

I appreciate that you have taken the time to respond and would be grateful for any further assistance, is there a virtual pub on this board ? as I'd certainly be getting a round or two in :)

bentonp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bentonp » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:33 am

Hi everyone I got a faulty Yamaichi PJS008U-3000-0 microSD connector… Is there a better quality alternative?

Learning to Wiggle

Post by 0110 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:54 pm

ghandipants wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:52 pm
I have no STM programmer ( I'm assuming you are talking about stlink or equivilent) and can find no clear instruction for a novice in using one for the Performer, which I find really surprising considering the wealth of info available regarding the physical build. (I'd willingly invest in an StLink set up if that is what is required to resolve this but as a novice would feel the need for some guidance)

Guide to programming the Performer

First, I am not an expert. I am going to tell you the steps that I followed in my built. In my case I had some difficulties because my built was faulty. I fixed the hardware later :) . If your hardware works correctly I think that everything is easier. I have only tried the method via JTAG.

1. Get a JTAG programmer. I used STLINK V3SET. It's ease connect and include the cable. I think that more economical option is STLINK V3MINI, but I think that you need wire the JTAG in this case.
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STM ... GrvpIMc%3D
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STM ... 7O6yZPg%3D

2. Install the STLINK software. I used SMT32CubeProgrammer, it's free.
https://www.st.com/en/development-tools ... eprog.html
Installing it on modern MAC OS X is laborious. You need a specific version of Java. I found it easy in Linux or Win.
https://community.st.com/s/question/0D5 ... 0151-19b88

3. Connect STLINK to computer via USB and connect to Performer via JTAG. So power up the Performer. Yes, to program via JTAG you need power the module.

4. Open STM32CubeProgrammer. In Port dropdown select JTAG and push Connect. If everything went well you should see the data stored in "Device memory".

5. Get the Bootloader and Firmware "hex" files.
https://github.com/westlicht/performer/releases

6. Go to "Erasing & Programming" tab in STM32CubeProgrammer (second item in left row). I performed a "Full Chip Erase" before programming. I don't know if it's necessary. Then push Browse and select bootloader.hex in Download section (first option in "Erasing & Programming" tab). Push "Start Programming". You will get a success message. Now the firmware. Make sure "Skip flash erase before programming" is selected and browse to firmware.hex and Push "Start Programming" again.

7. If all is ok you should see the new data stored in "Device memory". You can "Open file" bootloader and firmware and compare. This is an optional step.

7. Power off your Performer module. Disconnect JTAG.

8. Power on Performer. Enjoy!

Other:

To gain peace of mind you can see some videos on youtube with synths and STLINK...

Last edited by 0110 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Learning to Wiggle

Post by 0110 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:09 pm

bentonp wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:33 am
Hi everyone I got a faulty Yamaichi PJS008U-3000-0 microSD connector… Is there a better quality alternative?
I mount this one:
https://pushermanproductions.com/produc ... pcb-mount/

I purchased it with PCB. Maybe the same Yamaichi microSD connector. :hmm:
Last edited by 0110 on Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

skautkurt
Common Wiggler

Post by skautkurt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:31 pm

bentonp wrote:
And does anybody know a european (continental) source for one of those? The shipping from thonk/pusherman is super expensive to germany :/ and mouser did not have it in stock, sadly.
Cheers

bentonp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bentonp » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:48 am

0110 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:09 pm
bentonp wrote:
I mount this one:
https://pushermanproductions.com/produc ... pcb-mount/

I purchased ii with PCB. Maybe the same Yamaichi microSD connector. :hmm:
Yeah, looks like the same flimsy thing. Will try to get a better quality one and post it here. I would like to have those push in connectors instead. Hope this change in the future.

ghandipants
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ghandipants » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:56 am

0110 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:54 pm
ghandipants wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:52 pm

Guide to programming the Performer

First, I am not an expert. I am going to tell you the steps that I followed in my built. In my case I had some difficulties because my built was faulty. I fixed the hardware later :) . If your hardware works correctly I think that everything is easier. I have only tried the method via JTAG.

1. Get a JTAG programmer. I used STLINK V3SET. It's ease connect and include the cable. I think that more economical option is STLINK V3MINI, but I think that you need wire the JTAG in this case.
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STM ... GrvpIMc%3D
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STM ... 7O6yZPg%3D

2. Install the STLINK software. I used SMT32CubeProgrammer, it's free.
https://www.st.com/en/development-tools ... eprog.html
Installing it on modern MAC OS X is laborious. You need a specific version of Java. I found it easy in Linux or Win.
https://community.st.com/s/question/0D5 ... 0151-19b88

3. Connect STLINK to computer via USB and connect to Performer via JTAG. So power up the Performer. Yes, to program via JTAG you need power the module.

4. Open STM32CubeProgrammer. In Port dropdown select JTAG and push Connect. If everything went well you should see the data stored in "Device memory".

5. Get the Bootloader and Firmware "hex" files.
https://github.com/westlicht/performer/releases

6. Go to "Erasing & Programming" tab in STM32CubeProgrammer (second item in left row). I performed a "Full Chip Erase" before programming. I don't know if it's necessary. Then push Browse and select bootloader.hex in Download section (first option in "Erasing & Programming" tab). Push "Start Programming". You will get a success message. Now the firmware. Make sure "Skip flash erase before programming" is selected and browse to firmware.hex and Push "Start Programming" again.

7. If all is ok you should see the new data stored in "Device memory". You can "Open file" bootloader and firmware and compare. This is an optional step.

7. Power off your Performer module. Disconnect JTAG.

8. Power on Performer. Enjoy!

Other:

To gain peace of mind you can see some videos on youtube with synths and STLINK...

:tu: - WOW DUDE - :tu:

Thankyou 0110 for such a thorough guide, the presention is clear and very accessible even to a complete novice such as myself. I shall get an STlink ordered up and proceed methodically to update my dearly loved Performer.

I very much appreciate the time and effort you have spent to provide this resource, not just for myself but for the whole community.
Now where's the bar? I'm sure I said something about getting a few rounds in, seriously though, if I can ever return the favour you can be sure I'll be there :)

Learning to Wiggle

Post by 0110 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:42 am

ghandipants wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:56 am
:tu: - WOW DUDE - :tu:

Thankyou 0110 for such a thorough guide, the presention is clear and very accessible even to a complete novice such as myself. I shall get an STlink ordered up and proceed methodically to update my dearly loved Performer.

I very much appreciate the time and effort you have spent to provide this resource, not just for myself but for the whole community.
Now where's the bar? I'm sure I said something about getting a few rounds in, seriously though, if I can ever return the favour you can be sure I'll be there :)
Thanks!

Good luck with the process. If you have any problem, comment here.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”