Guide to programming the Performer
ghandipants wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:52 pm
I have no STM programmer ( I'm assuming you are talking about stlink or equivilent) and can find no clear instruction for a novice in using one for the Performer, which I find really surprising considering the wealth of info available regarding the physical build. (I'd willingly invest in an StLink set up if that is what is required to resolve this but as a novice would feel the need for some guidance)
First, I am not an expert. I am going to tell you the steps that I followed in my built. In my case I had some difficulties because my built was faulty. I fixed the hardware later
. If your hardware works correctly I think that everything is easier. I have only tried the method via JTAG.
1. Get a JTAG programmer. I used STLINK V3SET. It's ease connect and include the cable. I think that more economical option is STLINK V3MINI, but I think that you need wire the JTAG in this case.
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STM ... GrvpIMc%3D
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STM ... 7O6yZPg%3D
2. Install the STLINK software. I used SMT32CubeProgrammer, it's free.
https://www.st.com/en/development-tools ... eprog.html
Installing it on modern MAC OS X is laborious. You need a specific version of Java. I found it easy in Linux or Win.
https://community.st.com/s/question/0D5 ... 0151-19b88
3. Connect STLINK to computer via USB and connect to Performer via JTAG. So power up the Performer. Yes, to program via JTAG you need power the module.
4. Open STM32CubeProgrammer. In Port dropdown select JTAG and push Connect. If everything went well you should see the data stored in "Device memory".
5. Get the Bootloader and Firmware "hex" files.
6. Go to "Erasing & Programming" tab in STM32CubeProgrammer (second item in left row). I performed a "Full Chip Erase" before programming. I don't know if it's necessary. Then push Browse and select bootloader.hex in Download section (first option in "Erasing & Programming" tab). Push "Start Programming". You will get a success message. Now the firmware. Make sure "Skip flash erase before programming" is selected and browse to firmware.hex and Push "Start Programming" again.
7. If all is ok you should see the new data stored in "Device memory". You can "Open file" bootloader and firmware and compare. This is an optional step.
7. Power off your Performer module. Disconnect JTAG.
8. Power on Performer. Enjoy!
To gain peace of mind you can see some videos on youtube with synths and STLINK...