performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

finnurbjarna
Common Wiggler

Re: performer (or is it per|former?) sequencer build

Post by finnurbjarna » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:45 pm

sneak-thief wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:17 pm

FYI for anyone who wishes to invert their LED colours: hwconfig_invert-leds.hex

https://github.com/westlicht/performer/releases/
Thank you - that was an easy fix :)

jackpf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jackpf » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:18 pm

Just a little update on the issue with the OLED screen causing various amounts of hum on the outputs and power supply.

Switching to a linear power supply helped a bit, but didn't completely get rid of the hum.
What really helped though, is playing around with the screen brightness and changing some UI elements to be less "pixel intensive".

I've got an alternate build of the firmware here with brightness, screensaver and some other additional settings added: https://github.com/jackpf/performer/pull/5
More info is in the link.

With these settings I've pretty much got the screen hum noise down to the same dB level as the ambient noise in the rest of my system.
Maybe someone else who is as OCD about noise as me finds it useful.

jackpf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jackpf » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:07 pm

One thing I'm also considering is trying out a blue coloured OLED to see if it picks up less (or more...) noise.
Does anyone know if it's safe to simply use a blue screen (eg. https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/?qs ... 5j5w%3D%3D) in place of the yellow one suggested in the BOM?

I see its operating current is about 10mA higher than the yellow screen, would this cause any issues/overheating?

synthetek
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synthetek » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:51 am

jackpf wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:07 pm
One thing I'm also considering is trying out a blue coloured OLED to see if it picks up less (or more...) noise.
Does anyone know if it's safe to simply use a blue screen (eg. https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/?qs ... 5j5w%3D%3D) in place of the yellow one suggested in the BOM?

I see its operating current is about 10mA higher than the yellow screen, would this cause any issues/overheating?
I am using a blue screen and haven't noticed any issues. The blue is close enough to the yellow in current that there shouldn't be any issues the white one draws way more.

jackpf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jackpf » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:00 pm

synthetek wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:51 am
jackpf wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:07 pm

I am using a blue screen and haven't noticed any issues. The blue is close enough to the yellow in current that there shouldn't be any issues the white one draws way more.
Cool makes sense, thanks. How's the noise level with the blue screen?
Should be noticeable (or not) if you patch from the performer into the something in the audio path and amplify by like 50dB.

Matic0ne
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Matic0ne » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:26 am

Hello,

anyone got JLCPCB files ready? Gerbers pos and bom files?I looked into exporting JLCPCB files from Kicad myself but i am not realy sure if everything is correct cause its a bit more complicated then exporting from Eagle files. I have to Build 4 Performers for me and my friends and would love to get most of the smd work done by jlcpcb so i dont have to do everything by hand. would save some time.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:46 pm

You could try contacting the designer via the main website for this project, but I'm not sure he'll release them even if he has them as it's kind of in the grey area of potentially commercial use.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Matic0ne
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Matic0ne » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:56 am

Thank you

i don`t want to sell them. i want to build it for me and my friends for the cost of material and just the 4 units not more. The kicad files are free to use for non comercial usage so i think it would be ok. i have exported the files as gerbers bom and pos files from the kicad myself.when nobody has the files i have to look a bit deeper if it realy is correct what i have done then.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:45 am

the kicad files have everything you need to generate gerbers and pick and place files. You should at least try to learn how to do that before just asking someone else to do it for you

Return to “Music Tech DIY”