Best DIY Compressor modules?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Best DIY Compressor modules?

Post by FatRocky » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:43 pm

I´m looking for mono compressor modules that are DIY so that i can make 4u versions to integrate them to my Serge system.

I already know the L1 Stereo Compressor, but i prefer individual mono ones ( both compressors in the L1 share same controls so i believe they can´t be set for dual mono)

Which other compressors you suggest?

Thanks
:tu:

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:15 pm

This one is definitely DIY and seems to sound pretty good in the video :
[video][/video]
instagram
soundcloud
dc11 - electron out on Cosmic Wave Records.

Haralds:Werk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Haralds:Werk » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:40 am

Maybe you can adapt this one to your needs:

https://www.haraldswerk.de/Utilities/Li ... Compr.html
www.haraldswerk.de
Home of Next Generation Formant

Troubleshooter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Troubleshooter » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:52 am

col
Wiggling with Experience

Post by col » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:04 am

How about Streams?

vladosh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vladosh » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:44 am

i know this one ,looks good but i haven't built it : https://burnit.co.uk/sdiy/index.php?pag ... =schematic

there's a triggered noise gate in there too

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:21 pm

:tu: interesting ! thanks all guys for your suggestions

ishi
Common Wiggler

Post by ishi » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:41 pm

I also vouch for the Lollipop. Built it (one of my first) and like it very much.

xenosapien
Ultra Wiggler

Post by xenosapien » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:57 am

hexinverter Mutant Hot Glue !!

... though he doesn´t do DIY anymore, but you might be able to find old kits and/or schematics I guess.
may you live in interesting times.

hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times

Post by hexinverter » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:42 am

xenosapien wrote:hexinverter Mutant Hot Glue !!

... though he doesn´t do DIY anymore, but you might be able to find old kits and/or schematics I guess.
:cloud: :cloud: :cloud:

Although I don't directly provide DIY projects or support for them any longer, thankfully Modular Addict has taken on some of the ones that existed before (including the Hot Glue!). You can get PCB+panel sets from them: https://modularaddict.com/mutant-hotglue-pcbpanel

**NOTE: the THAT4301 is being DISCONTINUED by THAT Corp very soon! There should be supply for a while as distributors buy up final lots before they're gone, but if you're planning to build one, I'd suggest snagging the 4301 ASAP just to make sure you've got it on hand.
Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:05 am

MI Streams?

wtk
Common Wiggler

Post by wtk » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:36 am

mi streams have quite limited amount of control when used as compressor in dual mono mode, but is good anyway, the other modes are nice too.

woelfl
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Best DIY Compressor modules?

Post by woelfl » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:29 pm

I built recently 2 Lollipops, sourced all components myself, couldn't get the 2N3819 so after consulting with Philip from God's Box I used NTE312 instead. Still have some minor tweaking to do due to different JFETs, but they pretty much work fine just as they are now. I've been thinking recently about trying J111/J112 as well as I have a handful in my stash. Philip told me though his primary focus was the Opto circuit, the FET is kind of "extra". Anyway, I'm quite happy with them, they're quite versatile, I usually use one for kick compression and other for bass sidechain. I lowered the LED brightness and thus power consumption by replacing the right one of the two 10K resistors bottom-right from the LM3914 with a jumper wire so that pin 8 of the LM3914 is now connected directly to ground (which took a bit of reading between the lines since the LM3914 datasheet is not really stellar)

On the subject of Mutant Hot Glue - I've been planning to order 2 PCB+panel sets from Modular Addict (along with other HexInverter stuff) when they suddenly went dark... Now that they're back again, I cannot find THAT4301 anywhere anymore...

Any ideas where I could get THAT4301? Already took a look at Thonk, Musikding, Banzai etc. they all report it out-of-stock. I could swear I saw THAT4301 not so long ago in stock even on Mouser or Farnell... I really don't get it why THAT discontinued it without any direct replacement, at least as SMD (4305 is recommended for new designs but it's not a drop-in replacement, i.e. not the same chip, doesn't have the integrated op-amps plus some parameters differ)

mrtweed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mrtweed » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:36 pm

prsy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by prsy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:09 am

woelfl wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:29 pm
On the subject of Mutant Hot Glue - I've been planning to order 2 PCB+panel sets from Modular Addict (along with other HexInverter stuff) when they suddenly went dark... Now that they're back again, I cannot find THAT4301 anywhere anymore...

Any ideas where I could get THAT4301? Already took a look at Thonk, Musikding, Banzai etc. they all report it out-of-stock. I could swear I saw THAT4301 not so long ago in stock even on Mouser or Farnell... I really don't get it why THAT discontinued it without any direct replacement, at least as SMD (4305 is recommended for new designs but it's not a drop-in replacement, i.e. not the same chip, doesn't have the integrated op-amps plus some parameters differ)
I had the same question, I don't think anyone has them anymore. I designed a drop in replacement pcb using the 4305 and some external op amps. It kind of works but not well, I haven't taken an electrical engineering course in about a decade. Here's a short demo, sorry it's quiet

The minimum order at oshpark is 3 so I have 2 more pcbs if anyone reading this is interested.

CrysWiz
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by CrysWiz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 pm

+1 THAT 4301 is excellent, it’s better than i need. I never fully built one but when i breadboarded one i thought it sounded amazing. Easy to use also.
turning the world on its ear since 1981

fragletrollet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fragletrollet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:33 pm

the new discrete stereo and mid/side comps that are in the pipeline from L-1 looks awesome

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:38 am

woelfl wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:29 pm
I noticed yesterday that Smallbear have them, but damn are they expensive (though maybe that hasn't changed too much?!)
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcomme ... orp-4301p/

Just had a search for the UK place I know used to sell them & found this interesting replacement approach:
https://www.profusionplc.com/news/that4301-end-of-life/

woelfl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by woelfl » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:21 am

BugBrand wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:38 am
Just had a search for the UK place I know used to sell them & found this interesting replacement approach:
https://www.profusionplc.com/news/that4301-end-of-life/
Ha! I ran across this exact same page, was just about to write in response to prsy...

prsy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:09 am

I had the same question, I don't think anyone has them anymore. I designed a drop in replacement pcb using the 4305 and some external op amps. It kind of works but not well, I haven't taken an electrical engineering course in about a decade. Here's a short demo, sorry it's quiet

The minimum order at oshpark is 3 so I have 2 more pcbs if anyone reading this is interested.

Wanted to ask that - did you do your design from scratch or did you see the page quoted above ( https://www.profusionplc.com/news/that4301-end-of-life/ ) ?
This looks like some official, permanent solution for replacing 4301... Looks promising, I'd give it a shot...

Now if I were only able to make PCBs from schematics... damn I'll have to give that a higher priority... too much stuff lying around on breadboards... 😁

prsy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by prsy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:27 am

Yes, that's the document I used to make the board. It was a nice small project to learn kicad even though the end results aren't perfect.

NeolithicElectrophones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:13 am

If you're up for some 0603 smt, the Galore dynamics processor from Timo Rozendal is a great option, especially for its size. Based of the ne570 compander chip, which you don't see used much. Compressor, limiter,expander,automatic gain control and an envelope follower in 6hp. Quite a dense build, but worth it imo.
Demo from Timo:

paperCUT
Veteran Wiggler

Post by paperCUT » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:53 pm

This is fantastic, very smooth as it's just the reference design. If you build one I'd advise to use a few different values to get more gain out of it but totally recommend.

I'm in the opinion limiters are more useful in a modular setting. There's not all that much to compress but most filters will suck the power out of the signal, following with a rather aggressive brickwall makes all filters sound better (IMO).

CrysWiz
Common Wiggler

Post by CrysWiz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:11 pm

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:13 am
If you're up for some 0603 smt, the Galore dynamics processor from Timo Rozendal is a great option, especially for its size. Based of the ne570 compander chip, which you don't see used much. Compressor, limiter,expander,automatic gain control and an envelope follower in 6hp. Quite a dense build, but worth it imo.
Demo from Timo:
That’s an old chip, not worth looking for. The THAT4301 and 4305 are way better.

Edit: actually nm, for a synth either one is fine. I have both, time to get building...
Last edited by CrysWiz on Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrysWiz
Common Wiggler

Post by CrysWiz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:14 pm

oops double post

Return to “Music Tech DIY”