BUILD THREAD: 18-channel vocoder

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
glubsch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:10 am
Contact:

BUILD THREAD: 18-channel vocoder

Post by glubsch » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:42 am

Here are the links to the three important documents: The spreadsheet is helpful for procurement purposes as it uses corresponding color coding in the left-most column on sheet "Consolidated BOM". Note that this spreadsheet was composed with Excel. I don't know if it is properly handled by spreadsheet alternatives such as OfficeCalc.

Note: the bundle I am offering is not the whole kit. You will still have to order parts from your trusted distributor. There are three Mouser projects available:

derpinguin
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Post by derpinguin » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:21 am

The parts arrived yesterday. So far I can say glubsch did a terific job. Now I have to get all the needed electronic parts and start building. :nana:

User avatar
synthcube
you will be assimilated
Posts: 2143
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:42 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Post by synthcube » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:39 pm

anxiously awaiting :)
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

User avatar
julian
i like synthesisers...
Posts: 1481
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 2:38 pm
Location: UK

Post by julian » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:11 am

Can I advise people, early on, to use the LEDs specified in the build docs, and not just what you may have in your draw.

The reason for this is that the front panels have been cut to accommodate the specified LEDs, with minimal clearence.

Each and every front panel has been test fitted with the specified LEDs, for confirmation, but, if you use larger diameter units, they may not fit.

2nd -

The assembly template supplied with the kit does not have a recess in the rear for the LEDs.


If you want to be perfect with the build, I would suggest packing out the pots with a couple of washers when using the assembly template, so as the LEDs are offset against their final position on the actual front panel.

What this will do is create a bit of tension when the final job is assembled, so as to press the LEDs fully home into the final front panel.

We are only talking 0.5mm so it's no big deal, but just for the perfectionists! : )

If the above sounds confusing, read it again when you're using the template and it will make more sense then!
.



_________

For stocked euro / buchla / midibox see - http://thebeast.co.uk/?post_type=product

For custom cnc engraved panels see - http://thebeast.co.uk/?page_id=21

User avatar
pinewave
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:26 pm
Location: Portland OR USA

Post by pinewave » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:22 am

julian wrote:Can I advise people, early on, to use the LEDs specified in the build docs, and not just what you may have in your draw.

The reason for this is that the front panels have been cut to accommodate the specified LEDs, with minimal clearence.

Each and every front panel has been test fitted with the specified LEDs, for confirmation, but, if you use larger diameter units, they may not fit.

2nd -

The assembly template supplied with the kit does not have a recess in the rear for the LEDs.


If you want to be perfect with the build, I would suggest packing out the pots with a couple of washers when using the assembly template, so as the LEDs are offset against their final position on the actual front panel.

What this will do is create a bit of tension when the final job is assembled, so as to press the LEDs fully home into the final front panel.

We are only talking 0.5mm so it's no big deal, but just for the perfectionists! : )

If the above sounds confusing, read it again when you're using the template and it will make more sense then!
Thanks for the warning Julian! :)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -Arthur C Clark

derpinguin
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Post by derpinguin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:38 pm

Thank you. When are the panels to be expected?

derpinguin
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Post by derpinguin » Sat May 11, 2019 1:29 am

Any update on the front panels?

User avatar
julian
i like synthesisers...
Posts: 1481
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 2:38 pm
Location: UK

Post by julian » Sun May 12, 2019 3:57 am

I'm sorry, the panels are my delay, not Stephen's.

There's no issue. I've just been ill, and now have to be away a couple of days. The metal work is all cut and ready for print - I've just not actually printed it yet.
.



_________

For stocked euro / buchla / midibox see - http://thebeast.co.uk/?post_type=product

For custom cnc engraved panels see - http://thebeast.co.uk/?page_id=21

derpinguin
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Post by derpinguin » Sun May 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Great news. Thank you Julian

tkatona
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:33 am
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Post by tkatona » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:16 pm

What about the front panel?

derpinguin
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Post by derpinguin » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:27 am

Yep, still waiting on those.

derpinguin
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Post by derpinguin » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:34 am

Any update on the front panels?

Wigoz
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 10:04 pm
Location: United States

Post by Wigoz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:13 am

Any new updates on this? By the way, awesome work

User avatar
magman
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 am
Location: Liverpool, UK

Post by magman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:24 am

A quick BOM question.

C41 on the channel cards is not listed in the parts list for these cards. I noticed it is also not populated in a few of the build photo’s from the build manual. Is this cap needed and if so, what value should it be.

I’m doing quite well with my build, with the final 6 channel cards hopefully being completed today, then it is on to some testing and case assembly.

Regard

Magman
Next Liverpool Synth Meet - it’s 11th April 2020

User avatar
glubsch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:10 am
Contact:

Post by glubsch » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:09 pm

Yes, keep C41 unpopulated. The photo that shows the channels from the backside of the vocoder is not a good reference as this version of the vocoder is populated with different versions of the channel boards that underwent a number of refinements.

KaZpeR
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 7:39 pm
Location: Seattle, WA USA

Re: BUILD THREAD: 18-channel vocoder

Post by KaZpeR » Sat May 02, 2020 2:53 pm

I'm starting to source parts for this and had a couple questions for fellow builders.

Q1- Is there a copy of the silkscreen layers available for the PCB available, I find that it helps when you have questions on what goes where.
Q2- Parts, can you physically substitute 1/4W resistors in place of the 1/6W resistors or is there a space concern. Some of them are out of stock at the moment.
Last edited by KaZpeR on Sun May 03, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
glubsch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:10 am
Contact:

Re: BUILD THREAD: 18-channel vocoder

Post by glubsch » Sat May 02, 2020 3:26 pm

Re Q1: good suggestion. Let me see how I can integrate that in the documentation.
Re Q2: yes, you can use 1/4 W resistors. For more details on size constraints, see here on Page 2, "Resistors".

User avatar
jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:29 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: BUILD THREAD: 18-channel vocoder

Post by jfloftin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:44 pm

glubsch wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:42 am
Here are the links to the three important documents: The spreadsheet is helpful for procurement purposes as it uses corresponding color coding in the left-most column on sheet "Consolidated BOM". Note that this spreadsheet was composed with Excel. I don't know if it is properly handled by spreadsheet alternatives such as OfficeCalc.

Note: the bundle I am offering is not the whole kit. You will still have to order parts from your trusted distributor. There are three Mouser projects available:
The Panasonic inductor is obsolete. This needs to be fixed on the BOM at Mouser.

User avatar
Flounderguts
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 813
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm
Location: SLC
Contact:

Re: BUILD THREAD: 18-channel vocoder

Post by Flounderguts » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:20 pm

just go to the product page and click on the alternate parts button. You can easily find a part with the right specs.
----------------------

Flounderguts

User avatar
glubsch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:10 am
Contact:

Re: BUILD THREAD: 18-channel vocoder

Post by glubsch » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:23 am

I sent out an email on June 6. In short, use RFS1317-104KL instead.

nobody
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:31 pm

Re: BUILD THREAD: 18-channel vocoder

Post by nobody » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:36 pm

glubsch wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:23 am
I sent out an email on June 6. In short, use RFS1317-104KL instead.
I couldnt find one at mouser that was in stock until aug /sep. Farnell has some.


Other question: What is the orientation of IC1 on the DC to DC power supply? I see the stripe on the silkscreen, is that supposed to mean something? I am used to a dot.

collinspr
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:26 pm
Location: Plymouth, UK

Re: BUILD THREAD: 18-channel vocoder

Post by collinspr » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:10 pm

Yes. If you look at the MOSFET package (IC1) you’ll see that it has a chamfer on one side. It should be fitted with this corresponding to the ‘stripe’ on the silkscreen.

User avatar
glubsch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:10 am
Contact:

Re: BUILD THREAD: 18-channel vocoder

Post by glubsch » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:49 am

The documentation was missing information about how to connect the anodes and cathodes of the front panel LEDs. I've corrected this omission. See Chapter 4.5 in the Assembly and Tuning Guide.

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”