[AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

beliefsystemrecords
Common Wiggler

Post by beliefsystemrecords » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:55 am

Can anyone tell me where the tl071 goes? On the bom it says "Replaces A39 LM301 in VolT Pro". Unfortunately i don't know where A39 is?

sqweebking
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sqweebking » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:36 pm

goyousalukis wrote:sqweebking,

Cool - did you heatshrink for each combo test, or did you just test it out and wait to heatshrink it until you found a pair that worked?
I didn't bother with heatshrink during my tests, just swapped the trannies and confirmed that I can get the expected range out of the trimmer. Will reapply the heatshrink before final calibration.

sqweebking
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sqweebking » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:37 pm

beliefsystemrecords wrote:Can anyone tell me where the tl071 goes? On the bom it says "Replaces A39 LM301 in VolT Pro". Unfortunately i don't know where A39 is?
It goes in the voltage processor section, there is a note on the solder mask to use a TL071 for better performance.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:46 pm

sqweebking wrote:Well my max freq adj. of 32/30/28 does seem to follow the VCO core boards when swapped around so I guess its time to swap some trannies around. Should I not bother trying to match them this time?

Edit: I swapped a 2N3906 on VCO1 first and found it had little to no effect. I had some random no-name 2N3904's laying around with a noticeably higher hFE compared to the ones that came in my kit (~212 vs ~414). So I tried those and my VCO's all perked right up! The trimmer maxed them out at around 192Hz compared to the 28-30Hz previously. I can now pass the VCO/VCF tuning section and everything sounds great!

Thanks for all the help guys! Onto the next section..
Confirms my previous observation that attempting to match these is counter-productive.
Wired for weird

beliefsystemrecords
Common Wiggler

Post by beliefsystemrecords » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:10 pm

sqweebking wrote:
beliefsystemrecords wrote:Can anyone tell me where the tl071 goes? On the bom it says "Replaces A39 LM301 in VolT Pro". Unfortunately i don't know where A39 is?
It goes in the voltage processor section, there is a note on the solder mask to use a TL071 for better performance.
Great found it. Thanks!

goyousalukis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by goyousalukis » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:36 pm

Ugh... Ok, after going through a bunch of 2n3904/6 pairs, I think I have VCO 1 & 3 at a point where the Freq Cal trimmer pot covers an acceptable range around 32hz.

I can not get VCO2 anywhere close. The lowest I have gotten it is 51hz. This is even when I sub in one of the VCO's that does go down to 21hz.

My question: On the main board, in the VCO2 section, there is another 2n3904/6 pair. Could this transistor pair affect the tuning range? Do I need to start swapping in for this pair as well?

Thanks

tenma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tenma » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:21 am

My shipment was sent on Saturday, but when I track it and another I ordered it is saying Pre-shipment - label printed but not picked up. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem?

search64
Ultra Wiggler

Post by search64 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:57 am

tenma wrote:My shipment was sent on Saturday, but when I track it and another I ordered it is saying Pre-shipment - label printed but not picked up. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem?
Yeah, same with me. "On its way to a UPS facility" for the last 4 days. I presume Synthcube is located on some distant island from where it's really hard to send packages from.

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:59 am

It's a common challenge for shipments from here via USPS, especially those going overseas. Often, we'll get our USPS pickup in the afternoon/evening, and it may take 1-3 days for the tracking info to get updated. In a few instances, we even have had packages arrive at customers before the tracking shows the packages being picked up... in fact, these orders and others are en route to you--

thanks
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:57 am

Attention: if you purchased the TTSH VCO Sync option from Synthcube, please review this document to avoid damaging your VCO. The issue is specific to the sync PCB that Synthcube is selling. It's not defective, just different.

TTSH VCO Sync Build Notes
Wired for weird

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:49 pm

tenma wrote:My shipment was sent on Saturday, but when I track it and another I ordered it is saying Pre-shipment - label printed but not picked up. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem?

Synthcube's system notifies you your item has shipped as soon as they print the shipping label. As you discovered, this might be a another day before the item actually ships. As they are a small company, and seem a bit overwhelmed with getting orders out at the moment, then it can take them a while to actually get stuff out the door and picked up by UPS. It might also be because they missed the pickup cutoff for that day. UPS should not have the issue Synthcube eludes to with USPS. UPS will always scan the item when its picked up.

I agree it does not help with your frustration if you have already been waiting a long time.

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:52 pm

synthcube wrote:It's a common challenge for shipments from here via USPS, especially those going overseas. Often, we'll get our USPS pickup in the afternoon/evening, and it may take 1-3 days for the tracking info to get updated. In a few instances, we even have had packages arrive at customers before the tracking shows the packages being picked up... in fact, these orders and others are en route to you--

thanks
USPS tracking is next to worthless (emphasis in the above is mine).
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

Jaytee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaytee » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:55 pm

To those having VCO tuning issues that seem to be related to the 3904/06 expo converter... Are you using your own parts or a Synthcube kit? I found I had some major issues with getting my VCOs into a useful range until I changed to a pair of transistors made by the same manufacturer. The random grab-bag transistors I started with were dropping the pitch of my VCO into LFO territory.

sqweebking
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sqweebking » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:03 pm

I'm happy to say that my VCO issues are resolved. I went through the entire calibration process last night and found only a single missed solder joint in the VCO1 Square -> VCO2 slider.

My S&H is also working as expected, now that I know how to use it... :nana:

search64
Ultra Wiggler

Post by search64 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:33 pm

synthcube wrote:It's a common challenge for shipments from here via USPS, especially those going overseas. Often, we'll get our USPS pickup in the afternoon/evening, and it may take 1-3 days for the tracking info to get updated. In a few instances, we even have had packages arrive at customers before the tracking shows the packages being picked up... in fact, these orders and others are en route to you--

thanks
USPS is now in possession of your item as of 1:52 pm on November 13, 2019 in BURLINGTON, MA

:bananaguitar:

beliefsystemrecords
Common Wiggler

Post by beliefsystemrecords » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:36 am

I have a couple issues with the mixer/reverb section. I dont get any output (L/R) except if i directly patch from the mixer output to l/r/pan inputs. There is no signal on the bottom right mixer out jack (im not even sure if this is a input? It seems its normaled to the reverb in so its indeed an output?).

For a while i could connect the spring tank and tap it and get a signal on the main output. I maybe overdid this and now the right output doesn't work at all and i get only dc introduced on the main outputs if i turn up the reverb sliders. Also i can no longer measure a signal on the reverb output jack when i tap the tank.

After switching around lm301 in different sockets it seems i am making things worse.

Did i blow a couple of LM301? If so could i replace them with TL071? If i can replace them with TL071 do i have to adjust the caps around the op amps?

Jaytee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaytee » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:25 am

Not sure about the problem you’re having but if you want to try a TL071, no need to change the compensating cap. The pins it connects to are NC on Tl071.

sqweebking
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sqweebking » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:33 am

I was performing final calibration checks on my build last night and noticed the output is substantially noisier than it originally was, even with the reverb turned all the way down. I may have fiddled with the reverb tank connectors while it was powered up so I suspect I may have damaged the LM301 in that section.

Is it possible that op-amp adds noise even with the sliders all the way down?
Is it worth swapping in TL071's to reduce noise in this section? I believe I have some spares around...

Edit: @synthcube, I'm sorry, I know you get asked these questions a lot but is there any update on when cases will be shipped? I'm about ready to wrap this first build up, just need the case to put it in...

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:24 pm

sqweebking wrote:I was performing final calibration checks on my build last night and noticed the output is substantially noisier than it originally was, even with the reverb turned all the way down. I may have fiddled with the reverb tank connectors while it was powered up so I suspect I may have damaged the LM301 in that section.

Is it worth swapping in TL071's to reduce noise in this section? I believe I have some spares around...

Edit: @synthcube, I'm sorry, I know you get asked these questions a lot but is there any update on when cases will be shipped? I'm about ready to wrap this first build up, just need the case to put it in...
Try establishing an earth connection to 0V. The ground lead on your scope is a good way to test this.
Wired for weird

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:25 pm

beliefsystemrecords wrote:I have a couple issues with the mixer/reverb section. I dont get any output (L/R) except if i directly patch from the mixer output to l/r/pan inputs. There is no signal on the bottom right mixer out jack (im not even sure if this is a input? It seems its normaled to the reverb in so its indeed an output?).

For a while i could connect the spring tank and tap it and get a signal on the main output. I maybe overdid this and now the right output doesn't work at all and i get only dc introduced on the main outputs if i turn up the reverb sliders. Also i can no longer measure a signal on the reverb output jack when i tap the tank.

After switching around lm301 in different sockets it seems i am making things worse.

Did i blow a couple of LM301? If so could i replace them with TL071? If i can replace them with TL071 do i have to adjust the caps around the op amps?
If you were moving wire connections to the reverb while powered up, you likely blew the LM301 in the return amp.
Wired for weird

sqweebking
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sqweebking » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:07 pm

fuzzbass wrote:
sqweebking wrote:I was performing final calibration checks on my build last night and noticed the output is substantially noisier than it originally was, even with the reverb turned all the way down. I may have fiddled with the reverb tank connectors while it was powered up so I suspect I may have damaged the LM301 in that section.

Try establishing an earth connection to 0V. The ground lead on your scope is a good way to test this.
Applying earth ground as you suggested definitely improves the reverb noise but there is still a subtle, constant white noise in the background. I don't quite remember it being present initially but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Its more pronounced in the left channel when the left volume slider is at around 3/4. It's also more pronounced when the reverb levels are increased. Not terrible by any means, but makes the whole thing sound a bit less hi-fi if you know what I mean... I'll probably try the reverb noise reduction methods and just live with the way it is if there are no other suggestions.

Thanks again!

Arnoid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arnoid » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:53 am

Somebody has experience with the rare parts from utsource lately?
I recently ordered and received following parts there
2N4392,LM301AN,2N5460,2N5459,2N4870,2N3958,2N3954,CA3046

I'm a bit suspicious about the 2N4392, 2N4870, 2N3958 and 2N3954
They are can type’s but they look brand new... a but weird for so called NOS stock, they are also brand marked..
2n4392 -> Vishay Siliconix
2n4870 and 2N3958 ->Motorola
2n3954 ->National Semiconductor

Is the 2N4870 even ever produced by Motorola ? don't find any datasheets

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thecivildefense » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Arnoid wrote:Somebody has experience with the rare parts from utsource lately?

They are can type’s but they look brand new... a but weird for so called NOS stock, they are also brand marked..

I have bought rare chips from them before and got one good deal on what seem to be real chips, I've heard they also have many fakes and have made the mistake of buying crap chips from China a couple times (including "NOS" items that looked perfect but were obviously not even the right type of IC). Now I avoid anything coming from China/Hong Kong and am skeptical of buying rare items in general on ebay etc if I can't find feedback or verify the types. If it looks too good to be true (like $3 vs the $25 everywhere else) it probably is. Beware also there are a bunch of chips on ebay that say they're from the US but really ship from China (the long delivery time and reviews give that away). The super annoying thing is it's very hard to tell if things are genuine sometimes unless they just don't work or have a high fail rate when they get it close...

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Arnoid wrote:Somebody has experience with the rare parts from utsource lately?

All of these typically show up looking new. My best advice is, of you have a Peak DCA, test them. If you don't, just put them in and see. 2N4870 is a unijuction transistor. If yours is in the can package, just follow the pin layout to match the board footprint. When I put this on my Peak DCA, it reports it a JFET. Whatever, it worked.
Wired for weird

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thecivildefense » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Also there are a lot of supposedly motorola 2n4870 all over the internet from more reputable dealers so maybe ok (Not in the metal can package that is on the BOM though) like here:

https://www.jameco.com/z/2N4870-Motorol ... 77567.html

Datasheet here:

https://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/-296284668688446719
Last edited by thecivildefense on Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”