[AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: [AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

Post by fuzzbass » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:58 am

A TTSH recently came in for service here and the builder included a bag of 2N5459s that looked legit - all fake. Its becoming a thing with 2N5459.
Wired for weird

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:49 am

fuzzbass wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:58 am
A TTSH recently came in for service here and the builder included a bag of 2N5459s that looked legit - all fake. Its becoming a thing with 2N5459.
What were they? Bad spec? Bipolars? Empty pkg?

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:31 pm

How can you tell - can you post a photo?

Or is it just like Patrick’s where they test as a BJT

Purveyor2
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Purveyor2 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:05 pm

LED-man wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:16 am
Did you built the TTSh from Synthcubes Fullpart Kit ?
It not from where are JFETS 2N5459 and 2N4125 ?
I didn’t get their kit. Though I did order most of the trannies/ICs from them. I may have grabbed the 2n5459 and 2n4125 from tayda though. I’ll get some from mouser and swap them.

I did swap the osc boards and the other two are ok.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:49 pm

KSS wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:49 am
fuzzbass wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:58 am
What were they? Bad spec? Bipolars? Empty pkg?
They looked like legit Fairchilds, but tested as NPN BJTs, and did not work in-circuit. I'm not aware where my customer obtained them, but he told me they were suspect when he dropped them off.
Wired for weird

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:54 am

fuzzbass wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:49 pm
They looked like legit Fairchilds, but tested as NPN BJTs, and did not work in-circuit.
Thank you.

Robber40
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Robber40 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:11 am

I just finished the build of my TTSH and I'm now calibrating it. Everything seems to work fine. The issue what I currently face, is the calibration of the sine wave. While the triangle wave looks perfectly fine, the sine wave shows only the upper amplitude with a flat lower part. Adjusting the purity, is only widen the upper part into an almost square wave form while the lower part of the wave stays flat.

Any idea why the lower amplitude is missing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:34 am

Robber40 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:11 am
I just finished the build of my TTSH and I'm now calibrating it. Everything seems to work fine. The issue what I currently face, is the calibration of the sine wave. While the triangle wave looks perfectly fine, the sine wave shows only the upper amplitude with a flat lower part. Adjusting the purity, is only widen the upper part into an almost square wave form while the lower part of the wave stays flat.

Any idea why the lower amplitude is missing?
Most likely culprit is the 2n3954. Did you reverse pins 5 and 6?
Wired for weird

Robber40
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Robber40 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Most likely culprit is the 2n3954. Did you reverse pins 5 and 6?
Reverse pins 5 and 6? Damm ... I read it but forgot it. I guess that's the solution. So I just need to bend the pins that they are crossing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ssrusson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ssrusson » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:07 pm

I was troubleshooting my power supply board today, and I only had the v3 schematic, just wanted to note that I'm pretty sure the test points moved from the regulator inputs to the regulator outputs on v3 to v4. Happy to report that I figured out my issue, I was seeing +/-15.75 V on the +/- 15 pins, and ~ -15 V on the -V pin, but nothing on the +V pin. After checking continuity, turns out I had bad contact on the input pin (pin 2) of the TL1963A, I reflowed that and now I'm sitting pretty.

Also, thanks to everyone answering questions in here, this thread's been a great resource for me going through this build! This project is a mostly new experience to me. I'm an electrical engineer, so I have some level of electronics knowledge, but I don't have a ton of soldering and assembly experience, there's professionals who do that at my work. Thanks, everyone. I'm excited to hook up my power supply to the board and see what I get.

thomaskobrick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thomaskobrick » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:14 pm

I just ordered a VCO shapers kit - Will be fun to have all of those oscillator shapes running around. I'm a bit anxious about drilling the panel - not sure yet what I'm going to do about that. My Moog Voyager has that breakout module through a DB-25 cable, wonder if I could do something similar. Something to think about. Thanks for making this kit, fuzzbass!

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:33 pm

thomaskobrick wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:14 pm
I just ordered a VCO shapers kit - Will be fun to have all of those oscillator shapes running around. I'm a bit anxious about drilling the panel - not sure yet what I'm going to do about that. My Moog Voyager has that breakout module through a DB-25 cable, wonder if I could do something similar. Something to think about. Thanks for making this kit, fuzzbass!
The Shapers Build Guide includes tips for success with panel drilling. #1 tip is to step into the final drill using a progression of smaller bits. I typically do it in three steps (1/8, 3/32 and finally 15/64). #2 is drill from the panel back and place scrap wood under the panel face so metal shavings don't spin and scratch the paint on the face. #3 is screw the panel down to your scrap wood, so it won't move and get scratched.

Good Luck!
Wired for weird

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:13 pm

deleted
Last edited by spacecadet on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:30 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:13 pm
My solution for the shapers.

I have built it into a stand alone box. I used a power coated Hammond 1590BBBK. Almost a perfect match for the v4 panel

Its powered just like a stomp box. I used a meanwell DCW03A-15 +/- 15v supply internally.

Next iteration will be to improve the layout and get some graphics printed. I'm going to have a panel made by front panel express for the lid.

I don't really have much experience with graphics etc. If I create the drawing for the basic panel with holes, I was wondering if anyone here could help with the graphics side of things? Would be nice to have the same look and feel of the TTSH panel graphics.

The beauty of this is that it can also be used with a real ARP 2600 or many other synths.
Fantastic! For the shaper inputs to work consistently, supply them with a ramp, 0 to +10V. The TTSH/2600 VCO outputs will be fine. To use with a bipolar saw, you might have to tweak the trimmers, or it just might not work at all. I think the suboscillator input will deal with just about any repeating wave shape or offset.
Wired for weird

ssrusson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ssrusson » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:46 pm

I'm in troubleshoot mode now!

So, when I first powered on my VCO's, all three of them were giving me a DC signal, ~10V. I saw posts about fake 2n5459's, and those happened to be the only parts I sourced through eBay, so I went and bought a new set (still from eBay since I'm not sure where to find them, but from a more expensive, and hopefully more reputable seller) and replaced those. Now I have oscillations, but there're still issues:
VC01_Sawtooth_Output.jpg
I'm seeing about 12.5 Vpp, from about -3V to 9.5 V. The sawtooth rising slope is steeper below zero volts than it is above zero volts, and my frequency is far too high (~15 kHz with coarse freq. slider all the way left, fine freq. slider centered, trimmer resistor all the way down). This is basically the same on all three VCO's, but with a few kHz frequency difference between them. If I swap cores, the frequency stays with its core (IE: 15 kHz on VCO1 moves to VCO2 if I move the core to VCO2).

Just want to check if anyone knows if there's something obvious I should check/replace at this point? Thanks.

thomaskobrick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thomaskobrick » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:13 pm

spacecadet wrote:
I don't really have much experience with graphics etc. If I create the drawing for the basic panel with holes, I was wondering if anyone here could help with the graphics side of things? Would be nice to have the same look and feel of the TTSH panel graphics.
PM sent.

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:41 am

del
Last edited by spacecadet on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:58 am

ssrusson wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:46 pm
I'm in troubleshoot mode now!

So, when I first powered on my VCO's, all three of them were giving me a DC signal, ~10V. I saw posts about fake 2n5459's, and those happened to be the only parts I sourced through eBay, so I went and bought a new set (still from eBay since I'm not sure where to find them, but from a more expensive, and hopefully more reputable seller) and replaced those. Now I have oscillations, but there're still issues:

I'm seeing about 12.5 Vpp, from about -3V to 9.5 V. The sawtooth rising slope is steeper below zero volts than it is above zero volts, and my frequency is far too high (~15 kHz with coarse freq. slider all the way left, fine freq. slider centered, trimmer resistor all the way down). This is basically the same on all three VCO's, but with a few kHz frequency difference between them. If I swap cores, the frequency stays with its core (IE: 15 kHz on VCO1 moves to VCO2 if I move the core to VCO2).

Just want to check if anyone knows if there's something obvious I should check/replace at this point? Thanks.
If you got the 2N5459s from alltronics, then they are genuine parts. Expensive I know!!

Did you perform any transistor matching. Is the gain of the 3904/3906 pair similar?

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:03 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:41 am
By the way , don’t know about anyone else but in my case, the square wave output from the TL071 On the shapers board has some pretty severe over/undershoot and ringing that is clearly audible.

This is usually caused by the input impedance being mismatched with the impedance of the feedback circuit. RC (in) = RC (fb) for reflections to be suppressed. TL071 input cap is stated as about 6pF. Given the ratio of resistors used, a 10pF compensation cap inserted in parallel with the R64 (47K) feedback resistor should do the trick

I tried this and it cleaned things up nicely across the entire frequency range. The square wave now looks more like those generated by the TTSH.
I had not really thought about this, but it does seem the square wave has some brightness to it. I spent a lot of time looking at the output of this while I was prototyping, but not zooming in to see this, I guess. I'll take another look over the coming weekend. Thank you.
Wired for weird

C_C
Common Wiggler

Post by C_C » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:52 pm

synthcube wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:09 pm
C_C wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:08 pm
Any new news regarding the slider caps as well as a progress update on the assembled units? :hyper:
yes!
Assembled unit pre-orders began shipping a couple weeks ago-- and we are working through them.
Road case pre-orders- similarly, some have shipped and we are shipping against the order queue as they are made. Feedback has been almost universally positive about this option.
We are still awaiting a final sample of the slider caps that we love, before OK'ing the production run. We believe the wait to be worth it.
We are still awaiting the latest batch of Midimplants, and just got in another batch of slider dust cover sets, so if you are missing some of those bits, they will be going out to you as we receive them.
Its been about a month, any new news on the slider caps and assembled units? :hyper:

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:09 pm

at the risk of sounding repetitive---
- slider caps- we approved the last of the prototypes a couple of weeks ago-- to tighten the fit and confirm color et al- they are being made now
- assembled TTSH v4-- some pre-orders have shipped, all others are underway with varying degrees of completion testing from about 60% to 90% .
- midimplants-- awaiting an update from Roman Sowa- thankfully unaffected too much by the virus, and we hope to have these this month.

Hope this helps-- we are very happy to see more examples of these getting completed and shown--
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:10 pm

spacecadet wrote:
My solution for the shapers.

I have built it into a stand alone box. I used a power coated Hammond 1590BBBK. Almost a perfect match for the v4 panel

Its powered just like a stomp box. I used a meanwell DCW03A-15 +/- 15v supply internally.

Next iteration will be to improve the layout and get some graphics printed. I'm going to have a panel made by front panel express for the lid.

The beauty of this is that it can also be used with a real ARP 2600 or many other synths.

IMG_0649.jpg
that is really lovely,,, perhaps if you and fuzzbass are ok with the idea we could help make some panels and offer them with the cases...
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

C_C
Common Wiggler

Post by C_C » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:27 pm

synthcube wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:09 pm
at the risk of sounding repetitive---
- slider caps- we approved the last of the prototypes a couple of weeks ago-- to tighten the fit and confirm color et al- they are being made now
- assembled TTSH v4-- some pre-orders have shipped, all others are underway with varying degrees of completion testing from about 60% to 90% .
- midimplants-- awaiting an update from Roman Sowa- thankfully unaffected too much by the virus, and we hope to have these this month.

Hope this helps-- we are very happy to see more examples of these getting completed and shown--
Thank you for the update! :nana:

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:29 pm

that is really lovely,,, perhaps if you and fuzzbass are ok with the idea we could help make some panels and offer them with the cases...

I'd be happy with that at least. I'm playing with the fpe software this week to create the mechanical drawing. Another member on here has offered to help me with graphics - unless you guys have the skills to do that also.

I was going to make a couple of mods to a 'production' version - another toggle switch for AC/DC mode for the square wave, and spacing everything out a bit more evenly. It's a tight squeeze with this case. The DC-DC converter is stuck inside the lid between the jacks, so I have to maintain a minimum space between at least one pair of jacks. You have to also use an insulated dc power jack on the side of the case, as the case is grounded to module ground, not input supply ground. I have not had any issue with noise from the converter with this setup.

I believe the manufacturer of the cases - Hammond, do offer a custom drilling and printing service for their cases. Probably subject to a min order quantity. Might be worth reaching out to them. The problem with a fpe panel is the finish probably won't match the rest of the case.

I have attached the manufacturers drawing of this case.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:38 am

spacecadet wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:29 pm

I'd be happy with that at least. I'm playing with the fpe software this week to create the mechanical drawing. Another member on here has offered to help me with graphics - unless you guys have the skills to do that also.

I was going to make a couple of mods to a 'production' version - another toggle switch for AC/DC mode for the square wave, and spacing everything out a bit more evenly. It's a tight squeeze with this case. The DC-DC converter is stuck inside the lid between the jacks, so I have to maintain a minimum space between at least one pair of jacks. You have to also use an insulated dc power jack on the side of the case, as the case is grounded to module ground, not input supply ground. I have not had any issue with noise from the converter with this setup.

I believe the manufacturer of the cases - Hammond, do offer a custom drilling and printing service for their cases. Probably subject to a min order quantity. Might be worth reaching out to them. The problem with a fpe panel is the finish probably won't match the rest of the case.

I have attached the manufacturers drawing of this case.
Quick thoughts, although its a busy day here.
1. I'm ok with a 3rd party enclosure, but my shapers project is only thus far tested with sawtooth waves as they come of the TTSH/2600 VCO cores, (rising 10V peak-peak, +5V offset). I'm not sure this thing will behave itself if used with other VCOs or sources.

2. spacecadet found a problem with the sub-oscillator, which I have verified, but I have not yet looked at the suggested fix. Assuming that is a good fix, I plan to put a field notice type change in the build document.

3. I sent 25 full kits to Synthcube, and I have 25 more boards here. If you want to sell to a larger market than that, you will probably have to repay my cost for additional boards to be manufactured.

4. This discussion might be moved over the the shapers thread here on muffs.
Wired for weird

Return to “Music Tech DIY”