[AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

nickbtx
Learning to Wiggle

Re: [AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

Post by nickbtx » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:44 am

resynthesize wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:42 pm
A hakko fr-301 will make short work of that job, if you can find one to borrow. if not, it's an expensive purchase but is a fantastic tool to have for these types of scenarios.
I couldn't agree more. I had to replace a fader that was damaged. A minute or so later with the FR-301 and the fader literally fell off of the board. On a different project I had to replace a 40 pin socket that would have been almost impossible to remove with solder wick. My only regret is that I didn't get one years ago.

Jim the Oldbie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:17 pm

+1 for the Hakko. It'll put a hurt on the budget, but man, there's no looking back.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:31 pm

I have the Hakko suck gun too, and I could not face the future without it. But for this one job of removing while preserving some sliders, the Hakko is an expensive and avoidable purchase. If your resources are tight, use braid, sweetened with extra flux. Add solder to the joint and tip if necessary to prime the wicking. Get as much solder out as you can and then gently wiggle to pin to break the solder connection, applying heat if it is resistant. Once you have each pin freed in this way, the slider will come out.
Wired for weird

pftjschute
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pftjschute » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:11 pm

Hey y'alll., I just bought a TTSH used the mail and a few things are not working as expected.. I wonder if these are known issues/ whether it's possible to troubleshoot.

When I turn up the right speaker volume, that lowers the pitch of the oscillator? Same sometimes happens when I increase the VCF input to the VCA? Same when I increase the level of the S&H to the pitch of the oscillators? What's going on here, a short perhaps? :(
Last edited by pftjschute on Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pftjschute
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pftjschute » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:30 pm

Tons of random crackling with all the faders off too :(

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:16 pm

Assuming you have a V4 which is easy to identify, a good place to start is with a multimeter and testing voltage levels, also visually inspecting all the solder points for bridge connections or weak ones. It may help to verify that the speakers are wired up correctly as well as all other things.

You can start to isolate one area at a time, for instance, is the pitch drop occurring on all three oscillators? Are you describing a droop with S&H on the hold stage? It sounds like it may have a few areas of issues that could be happening and may point to just a not so stellar job of soldering or perhaps some trouble with components being fried. Hopefully sockets were used for chips and it's easy to replace or switch around and see if the issues move with them. i.e. move the oscillator sub boards around, change out the lm301 with another etc. Be ready to reflow a lot of connections and even replace transistors and chips.

It's a big project and patience is needed for success. Verify all the correct values of components in proper order. Look for electrolytic caps in the correct orientation and bulges that may indicate fault. Of coarse all of this is with any faulty device but at least there is thourogh references you can refer to for correct values, placement, levels and etc. Download the build guide and BOM and read it through, better yet, print it out and check things off as you go. The more thourogh you are the more likely you'll solve everything and be able to calibrate to great working order.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:06 pm

I'd try to get my money back and send it back to the maker. That's something the builder should have caught and fixed before selling. Unless something happened in shipping. It's probably something not easy to find, so unless you're up on everything involved in building these, send it back.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thecivildefense » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:12 am

sduck wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:06 pm
I'd try to get my money back and send it back to the maker. That's something the builder should have caught and fixed before selling. Unless something happened in shipping. It's probably something not easy to find, so unless you're up on everything involved in building these, send it back.
totally agree, unless the problem is something like the seller didn't send you the wall wart power supply and you're using the wrong one (Like when I accidentally plugged in a lower voltage/amp supply that was by my workspace and thought I broke something until I realized that was the issue). Could be a power issue but yes, it shouldn't be your job to sort out something like this

pftjschute
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pftjschute » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:24 pm

Luckily the guitar shop in my neighborhood has a tech who can look it over and troubleshoot it for me. I'm not quite savvy enough and I'm also a bit impatient.

I realized after opening it up that it's actually a V3, the guy I bought it from didn't know what version he had, and I"m pretty sure it was damaged during shipping. Thanks for your response, looking forward to making some r2d2 noises soon <3

amir
Common Wiggler

Post by amir » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:04 am

Was the ttsh case damaged? This isn't really the kind of thing that gets damaged in shipping. The only thing that could possibly get "damaged" would be if a wire came loose but even then there are only so few wires in v3 and it would be easy to check. I doubt a random guitar tech without 2600 experience or more specific TTSH pcb "issues" knowledge could figure it out.

Make sure they don't assume trannies or jfets are oriented wrong and try to remove them or reorient them causing bigger headaches. Some of them have gotten harder to find and you usually have to order from a bunch of sources as there are a lot of fakes around as well.

zarar
Common Wiggler

Post by zarar » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:46 am

bardx86 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:42 pm
zarar wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:52 am
amir wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:38 am
zarar wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:46 am
Testing out my REV4 psu board. +-15V working fine, also -V. But I’m getting 0V on +V. Anyone recognizing this? I reflowed the pins for the 1963A but still nothing.
With DC converters or linear supply? Check your ground connections. Make sure there are no bridges on -15v regulator. Also make sure your caps are not reversed. Don't over heat the regulators too much either.
I’m using the murata DC converters. I’ll double check, maybe it’s the 1963A not connected to the big pad enough?
Check for power at the 1963A. I wasn't getting power there. I had to reflow the DC/DC converters.
I bridged the SHDN and IN pins, and it's now working fine. Any issues in doing this or is the Shutdown utilized?

laplace13
Learning to Wiggle

Post by laplace13 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:44 pm

Hey Guys,

Just finishing a build now, and am getting some interesting behavior from the Gate booster PCB. I have the most recent revision, squared off PCB without the ferrite beads... LED, Ground Connection and 2 pin "Gate" and "Trigger" molex connection at bottom right of board.

When feeding it a 5V gate input from my keystep, the LED lights, but I'm not getting any signal from the "Gate Output". However the "Trigger Output" does show what I would expect for the gate, a held 11V signal whenever the key is pressed. Replaced all non-passives, double-triple checked resistors and wiring... nothing. Tested off-board with 2600 just supplying the bipolar 15v and same behavior.

I think I saw this mentioned earlier in this thread, but it seems that the ADSR needs BOTH a trigger and gate input in order to fire, acting as an AND gate. If I were to tie the trigger and gate together and send the booster signal from just a single output of the booster, would that work? Is there any love lost from not having a distinct trigger signal input?

I jumpered the cut trace connection to the gate input jack, and tied the gate and trigger together while outputting 12V gate from the keystep, and it seemed to behave as expected, which makes me think it shouldn't be an issue. Just not sure if there is some exotic routing that isn't occurring to me at the moment that could benefit from a trigger input separate from the gate.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 pm

Yes, it will work with joined Gate and Trigger. That's how the manual start button works. But what you lose is the ability to re-trigger the attack phase of an envelopes with successive key presses. That's a significant loss.

laplace13
Learning to Wiggle

Post by laplace13 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:17 pm

I was just using arpeggio mode on keystep and didn't try playing legato, that makes sense about the lack of re(trigger)ing with just a gate signal. Maybe I'll order some older revisions from Osh Park and try that instead. Thanks for the quick reply.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:27 pm

laplace13 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:44 pm
Hey Guys,

Just finishing a build now, and am getting some interesting behavior from the Gate booster PCB. I have the most recent revision, squared off PCB without the ferrite beads... LED, Ground Connection and 2 pin "Gate" and "Trigger" molex connection at bottom right of board.

When feeding it a 5V gate input from my keystep, the LED lights, but I'm not getting any signal from the "Gate Output". However the "Trigger Output" does show what I would expect for the gate, a held 11V signal whenever the key is pressed. Replaced all non-passives, double-triple checked resistors and wiring... nothing. Tested off-board with 2600 just supplying the bipolar 15v and same behavior.

I think I saw this mentioned earlier in this thread, but it seems that the ADSR needs BOTH a trigger and gate input in order to fire, acting as an AND gate. If I were to tie the trigger and gate together and send the booster signal from just a single output of the booster, would that work? Is there any love lost from not having a distinct trigger signal input?

I jumpered the cut trace connection to the gate input jack, and tied the gate and trigger together while outputting 12V gate from the keystep, and it seemed to behave as expected, which makes me think it shouldn't be an issue. Just not sure if there is some exotic routing that isn't occurring to me at the moment that could benefit from a trigger input separate from the gate.
Is this the booster version that can host a MIDImplant? The example of that I have here has the trigger and gate outputs silkscreening reversed. I did report this to the person who was most recently manufacturing them.

Also, Keystep does not currently support multiple trigger mode on its gate CV output. MIDImplant does so if you have the implant, correctly configured, and use the MIDI out from the Keystep, you can retrigger.

Maybe if we all sent Arturia a feature request they might add multiple trigger mode in the software. Its simple in theory: all you have to do is drop for a millisecond and resume Gate CV when notes overlap. This will cause the booster to generate another trigger, and the ADSR will reset.
Wired for weird

laplace13
Learning to Wiggle

Post by laplace13 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:27 pm

Ah the screenprint is reversed, thanks for letting me know!

I don't have the MIDImplant installed but this revision does have a SIP socket for it in the center of the board... hoping to order one soon! Would prefer interfacing with MIDI in general.

ThomasT
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ThomasT » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:17 am

Hi All - qq on TTSHv4 -> when nothing is plugged in and speakers are set to 80%, I am hearing a rumbling sound. Any idea what could be contributing to that? Secondly, when I set the speakers to max, it cuts out completely. Thoughts?

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:26 am

What power supply are you using?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”