[AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

Re: [AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

Post by thecivildefense » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:35 pm

Also is there an extra 12.1k resistor? The Synthcube parts kit had 8, and there were 7 in the 4072. I have one left but don't see it on anything but the 4072...

Just don't want to power up and have it not work because somehow I missed one resistor...

Bukake2Fuzz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bukake2Fuzz » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:34 am

Hello everyone !

I'm gonna start to build the TTSH but it seems that Mouser doesn't have the log slide pots until may 2020... (PTL45-15O0-104A3)
I am about to order those to digikey but there is always taxes and customs...

Does anybody know a source in Europe?

thank you! :party:

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:13 am

thecivildefense wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:35 pm
Also is there an extra 12.1k resistor? The Synthcube parts kit had 8, and there were 7 in the 4072. I have one left but don't see it on anything but the 4072...

Just don't want to power up and have it not work because somehow I missed one resistor...
This is an error in Synthcube's BOM. Seven is the correct number. I think I pointed this out sometime back, but the correction has not yet made it into the BOM or kit.
Wired for weird

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:15 am

Bukake2Fuzz wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:34 am
Hello everyone !

I'm gonna start to build the TTSH but it seems that Mouser doesn't have the log slide pots until may 2020... (PTL45-15O0-104A3)

Just order them. Every time I have seen an ETA this far out for the Bournes sliders, they have arrived well in advance of that. No guarantee, but that has consistently been my experience. Also, I recommend you order one extra of each type, to account for mishaps.
Wired for weird

dComposer
Common Wiggler

Post by dComposer » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:51 pm

Hi - I’m just a bit confused with the filter calibration: steps 1-4 has me matching the pulse from vco1 to the waveform coming out of the vcf. Ok, got this perfectly calibrated so that the waveforms match. Then down at steps 7-9 it has me adjusting the offset so that the VCF output is centered around 0V. So, before this step, my waveform was 0-10V but now it’s -5 to 5V after adjusting the offset. Is this right??

Bukake2Fuzz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bukake2Fuzz » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:39 am

fuzzbass wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:15 am
Bukake2Fuzz wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:34 am
Hello everyone !

Just order them. Every time I have seen an ETA this far out for the Bournes sliders, they have arrived well in advance of that. No guarantee, but that has consistently been my experience. Also, I recommend you order one extra of each type, to account for mishaps.
Thnak you for the advice Fuzzbass!

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:47 am

dComposer wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:51 pm
Hi - I’m just a bit confused with the filter calibration: steps 1-4 has me matching the pulse from vco1 to the waveform coming out of the vcf. Ok, got this perfectly calibrated so that the waveforms match. Then down at steps 7-9 it has me adjusting the offset so that the VCF output is centered around 0V. So, before this step, my waveform was 0-10V but now it’s -5 to 5V after adjusting the offset. Is this right??
From calibration section in my build manual:
"Note1: If AC coupling has been added to the four inputs on the VCF audio mixer, the observation at step 6.1 will be a range of wave shapes moving around the 0V line; there will be 0V, not 5V, DC offset. "

If you added the four 1uf film caps to the VCF audio mixer, these filter out DC offset from the pulse and saw VCO outputs. In that case, adjust the offset trimmer to the 0V line in all cases.
Wired for weird

dComposer
Common Wiggler

Post by dComposer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:14 am

Oh wow - I was still working my way through page 27 so I didn’t see this note one page 30! Cool - thanks so much. This makes me breathe a bit easier :)

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:38 pm

happy new year all!

update-- we have been continuing to ship kit pre-orders, and expect the last of those pre-orders to be shipping within a few days.
For assembled unit pre-orders, assembly is well underway for all of the units and we will be shipping those as they are calibrated and tested.

Questions-- please do not hesitate to ask?

alocaster
Learning to Wiggle

VCO sync ?

Post by alocaster » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Happy new year to you all, with VCO that perform as they should and pretty much every other mod done I need to install the VCO sync card. I appreciate the idea Fuzzbass gave of cutting away the mult and using two of the sockets for the switch location. What I am looking for now is a good way to mount the board and a location. It has no appreciable weight so I suspect one mounting point will do.

Where have you all mounted this tiny ckt card.

thanks
rob

Jim the Oldbie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:52 pm

synthcube wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:38 pm
happy new year all!

update-- we have been continuing to ship kit pre-orders, and expect the last of those pre-orders to be shipping within a few days.
For assembled unit pre-orders, assembly is well underway for all of the units and we will be shipping those as they are calibrated and tested.

Thanks for the update. For those of us who have ordered 1601 clone kits as well, do you know if they will ship at the same time?

alocaster
Learning to Wiggle

VCO sync switches and more

Post by alocaster » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:29 am

I forged ahead, needed this done for some others before they return to work. For those with similar questions. I soldered the switches direct to the board. The vco with the shield connected at the board end. I de soldered the vco resistors and flattened them and the coax center conductor so it would fit in the eyelet. It was still a struggle. Two i like, the other not so much. I pared back the shield and heat shrunk what was left.

Thank you to those like fuzzbass and dsl man for allowing this to be possible. I know there are others, i would thank them also. This was more than a diy project, it was to give voice to a brother who lost his own. It will live in his space for my people to explore and enjoy, im doing so to appreciate the fragility of life.

It has one final mod, a field of pine trees in tarnished copper. His name is Komatsu, if anyone knows of a place i can have 1mm copper sheet cut to an image please let me know.

Thanks
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alocaster on Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: VCO sync switches and more

Post by fuzzbass » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:45 am

alocaster wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:29 am
I forged ahead, needed this done for some others before they return to work. For those with similar questions. I soldered the switches direct to the board. The vco with the shield connected at the board end. I de soldered the vco resistors and flattened them and the coax center conductor so it would fit in the eyelet. It was still a struggle. Two i like, the other not so much. I pared back the shield and heat shrunk what was left.

Thank you to those like fuzzbass and dsl man for allowing this to be possible. I know there are others, i would thank them also. This was more than a diy project, it was to give voice to a brother who lost his own. It will live in his space for my people to explore and enjoy, im doing so appreciate the fragility of life.

It has one final mod, a field of pine trees i tarnished copper. His name is Komatsu, if anyone knows of a place i can have 1mm copper sheet cut to an image please let me know.

Thanks
Rob
Can you post a photo so we can see how you solved this problem?

What I have found in recent builds, and regarding board placement, is that the further away from the 4027-1 modules the sync board is mounted, more urgently you need to use coax to shield the wires. In the past I have mounted the board atop the 4027-1 that was the sync source. I placed the switches very close by. In this arrangement, I have gotten by with unshielded cable without any noticeable bleed issues.

For building from the Synthcube kit however, I try to stick to solutions that can be achieved using kit parts and the standard steel case. This leads me to place the switches in the Multiples field, and mount the board nearby on one of the speaker mount points. The switch wiring is very short and well away from everything else, so can be unshielded. However, the 4027-1 connections run past everything including the "antenna" (reverb return wire). In this mount location, it is necessary to use a bit of the RG174 that Synthcube provides in the kit to make the connections. Connect the sleeves at the sync board side only. Its a very fiddly job and it won't look pretty when done correctly. The RG174 cable has some weight to it, and should be strain relived at some point along the path. I use nylon cable ties and tether it to electrolytic caps near the 4027-1s.
Wired for weird

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:38 pm

Jim the Oldbie wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:52 pm
synthcube wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:38 pm
happy new year all!

Thanks for the update. For those of us who have ordered 1601 clone kits as well, do you know if they will ship at the same time?
The 1601 kits are still a couple of weeks away-- thanks!

jdee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jdee » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:38 am

I'm terrified about the transistor matching process. It's putting me off even starting the build. I've no idea how to build the Ian Fritz circuit from a diagram. Don't know what to do. :cry:

dComposer
Common Wiggler

Post by dComposer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:49 am

jdee wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:38 am
I'm terrified about the transistor matching process. It's putting me off even starting the build. I've no idea how to build the Ian Fritz circuit from a diagram. Don't know what to do. :cry:
Don’t be scared! I never did it before this build either but it was easy enough to accomplish once I bought the transistor matching pcb from synthcube! You just put a pair of transistors in either the NPN or PNP side (depending on the transistor) and test the voltage output using your dmm! It usually takes a couple minutes for the voltage to stabilize and then you take that number and divide by 2. I made a simple spreadsheet and organized my transistors in bins based on this reading. Also, the other thing to keep in mind is that ARP probably didn’t even do this nor were the transistors even made as accurately as they are now so it’s probably not even that big of an issue if you mess everything up :D

madawg
1-Post Wiggler

Post by madawg » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:28 pm

or buy a cheap multimeter that has a hfe transistor tester on it like this:

look in amazon for multimeter hfe.

I had one that cost $5. works great.

Dave

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thecivildefense » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 pm

jdee wrote:
Buy the one I posted about about a page back. GM328. Cheap ($20 or less) and super fast and easy for this but you'll have to wait for it to ship from China.

alocaster
Learning to Wiggle

Letting components burn in

Post by alocaster » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:24 pm

Thought I would give it a week of burn in and check the calibration again. It is nice to have it done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xythyl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xythyl » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:54 pm

I've gotten to the part where it says to test the power. I get ~+15.75V on +15 and ~-15.75V on -15. When I check -V, I get -15V, but when I check +V I get 0V. All of my solder points look good. All I can think of is maybe that I heated up the TL1963A too much and it doesn't work anymore. If that's the problem what would be the best way to desolder that part without a hot air rework station?

EDIT: The out pin on the TL1963A wasn't making a good connection. I just added more solder and it fixed it.

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:54 pm

madawg wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:28 pm
or buy a cheap multimeter that has a hfe transistor tester on it like this:

look in amazon for multimeter hfe.

I had one that cost $5. works great.

Dave
We looking for matched Vbe values, not hfe.
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 pm

Hey I just noticed the missing posts are back! Cool!

search64
Ultra Wiggler

Post by search64 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:44 am

jdee wrote:
Full disclosure: I did NOT match any transistors and I had no issues whatsoever in trimming the thing. Works perfectly. I might have been lucky.

KSBMusic
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Letting components burn in

Post by KSBMusic » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:00 pm

alocaster wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:24 pm
Thought I would give it a week of burn in and check the calibration again. It is nice to have it done.
How's it sounding so far?

alocaster
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Letting components burn in

Post by alocaster » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:21 pm

KSBMusic wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:00 pm
alocaster wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:24 pm
How's it sounding so far?
I will admit to being in the honeymoon period. That said, as someone who has owned or still owns almost every synth with the exception of older ARP because I always thought they were a design / construction nightmare I absolutely love it. It is more than I could have imagined, I am working my way through the patch book trying to get my head around some of the design. I look forward to taking to my studio and having a more full range play back system and other references to compare it to. The real gain in this project for me is the intimacy the build gives you in this synth. We all are on the eve of Korg releasing its version of this synth, it may or may not be great. What it will not be is something built with through hole construction from the collective genius of those who care more about outcome than profit. I am still fussing with it, today I need to replace the reverb cables with the shielded set, I wanted to see how much noise it was. I have a plate to make for the two switches for the sync circuit so I can use the anti rotation collars without drilling into the front panel. If I can strike a deal with my sheet metal shop maybe a trap door allowing access to the filter board. It will give years of pleasure, something I will leave to my grandkids. Thanks to all those who made this possible.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”