[AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Re: [AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

Post by spacecadet » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:32 pm

synthcube wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:49 am
Update on led slider caps--- we are making great progress, taking the time to make sure these are really solid for you. We are making a very very slight mod to the tooling in order to tighten up the cap on the slider. Based on the prototypes we have seen and held, these will be a very nice addition to TTSH (or any module/synth that uses the Bourns sliders)

Questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
Do these follow the same design as those used on the Behringer Ultragraph Pro?

For anyone curious, the caps on mine in the picture on the previous page were kindly donated by one of those purchased cheaply on ebay.

Here is a close up, stolen from a different thread, from someone else who did the same on a v3 TTSH:
08_DCE116-4089-4_FD6-_B695-_B6_E07746790_D.jpg
The picture on your synthcube site looks the same as those?

Or are they different?

That fact that you are still tweaking the design implies they may be a different design.

Are they black plastic, or a semi-translucent material?

Can you share a picture of your actual prototypes?

For anyone else out there looking at options for slider caps, there is this alternative from Sifam:

KNOB_-_RED_LIGHT_003.jpg

.....available from Thonk in the UK:

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/sifam-slider-caps/

And in the US from here:-

https://www.selcoproducts.com/products/ ... -line-knob

-although they are ridiculously expensive at $1 each, and you have to contact them to order as they are not available to directly order through their website. I'm not sure they will deal with the public either - I was able to order through my employer as they already have an account with them

Having ordered some, I found they fit, but they push in far enough to contact the panel. The 'fix' was to insert a clear silicone 6x2mm o-ring in the cap before fitting it. This reduces the travel and works to give just the right clearance with the panel. The o-ring gets squished down in the recess for the slider as its pushed on.

These work perfectly, for example:

In the end though I prefered the Behringer caps. I might use the Sifam ones for the 1601 sequencer when I build it.

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thecivildefense » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:44 pm

Damn I just bought a normal keystep. This looks cool:

https://www.arturia.com/products/hybrid ... o/overview

Maybe if I already have a beatstep pro and a keystep I'm not missing much functionality but maybe just this would mostly do the job of both fo me.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:51 pm

IMG_4388.JPG
(please excuse the dust on my 1601)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Bukake2Fuzz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bukake2Fuzz » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:39 am

paperCUT wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:49 pm
Has anybody found a replacement for the C56206L2X switches? They are 8 euros each from mouser! :confused:
Hello,

Banzai Music has them for 5 euros... +7,95 shipping, you win 8 euros ;) it's a start...

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:23 pm

sduck wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:51 pm

So a facsimile of the original, in clear plastic with a slot so the top of the led is directly visible.

Great, but surely either make it with the slot in black plastic, or without the slot in clear, but not both?

Or is it just me thinking that?

Jruss993
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jruss993 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:03 pm

Alright! Finally getting down to business on this build, and I have been going through the kit from Synthcube. I am missing the 2N4125 transistors. I am having trouble finding this at mouser and digikey. Any ideas where to find these?

EDIT: These look like the real deal? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lot-of-5-Fairch ... SwKSlcQoc7

campacasa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by campacasa » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:32 pm

I got my 2N4125 from Banzai (Berlin/Germany - http://www.banzaimusic.com/2N4125.html). For my TTSH v2 I was also missing these and found them there by coincidence when looking for a reverb tank.

Regards,
Peter

sduck

Post by sduck » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:50 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:23 pm
sduck wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:51 pm

So a facsimile of the original, in clear plastic with a slot so the top of the led is directly visible.

Great, but surely either make it with the slot in black plastic, or without the slot in clear, but not both?

Or is it just me thinking that?
IMG_4387.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:21 am

Jruss993 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:03 pm
Alright! Finally getting down to business on this build, and I have been going through the kit from Synthcube. I am missing the 2N4125 transistors. I am having trouble finding this at mouser and digikey. Any ideas where to find these?

EDIT: These look like the real deal? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lot-of-5-Fairch ... SwKSlcQoc7
If you bought a full kit from Synthcube and something was missing, contact them.
Wired for weird

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:36 am

spacecadet wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:32 pm

Do these follow the same design as those used on the Behringer Ultragraph Pro?

For anyone curious, the caps on mine in the picture on the previous page were kindly donated by one of those purchased cheaply on ebay.

Or are they different?

That fact that you are still tweaking the design implies they may be a different design.

Are they black plastic, or a semi-translucent material?

Can you share a picture of your actual prototypes?

For anyone else out there looking at options for slider caps, there is this alternative from Sifam:

In the end though I prefered the Behringer caps. I might use the Sifam ones for the 1601 sequencer when I build it.
Along with sduck, I received review samples of the Synthcube knobs (he shared pictures above). My impressions:

They still needed adjustments to the inner dimensions. They are roughly the same size and shape as 2600 knobs, and have a pointer on one side. When seated they approach but do not contact the panel, so the depth of the hole is correct. These have more height than other slider knobs, and I found this to be a problem WRT the LEDs. The peep hole is about 3mm deep. On the black knob, this makes the LED disappear unless you are looking straight at it. On the clear knob, the peep hole seemed superfluous. The texture applied is very similar to the V4 panel texture. The knobs feel great under my fingers, and are a big improvement to bare slider tangs. My suggestion was to eliminate the peep holes; if using black knobs, just turn off the LEDs, for the classic look.
Wired for weird

Jruss993
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jruss993 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:04 am

fuzzbass wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:21 am
Jruss993 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:03 pm

If you bought a full kit from Synthcube and something was missing, contact them.
For sure, and I did let them know. Honestly when I saw these on eBay in Canada I figured it was worth the $5 as they will get here a lot faster than from the US.

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:48 pm

we have had a few requests for jpgs of the main PCB front and back, before components are added- hope these help!
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

sduck

Post by sduck » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:07 pm

Having scanned images of unpopulated PCBs can be a tremendous help when debugging problems! I typically do detailed scans of these things, but haven't gotten around to it for this one yet. I only have a legal size scanner - wonder if this board would fit in my lightbox? Hmmmm....

jet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jet » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:30 pm

Got my kit a couple of weeks ago and will read this thread before I start the build. My blocker is that I'm actually restoring a 1971 ARP 2600 for a friend of mine's art studio. As soon as it's done I can start on the TTSH, will be fun to put them side-by-side in his studio.
industrial designer, interaction designer, cello student, hacker

musicorchard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by musicorchard » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:43 pm

I'm currently going through the kit I received and I'm noticing the line number on the part bags don't correspond with the line number in the most recent BOM. I'm more than happy to make corrections to the BOM so identifying items is a tad easier, but I want to make sure there isn't an update I don't know about. On that note, does anyone have an Excel doc with the most current BOM? I wrote synthcube too to see what they think. Luckily most parts are listed numerically in values so it's not that bad!

I have a knack for this kind of itemization. Can you tell? 8-)

thomaskobrick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thomaskobrick » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Thanks to thecivildefense for those pics - that helps immensely. "In theory" I'm down to making my cables for connection and calibrating! Fingers crossed. I can't believe the number of solder joints in this thing! But again it makes me really appreciate the work that went into creating this kit and build guide. Wow.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:52 pm

musicorchard wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:43 pm
I'm currently going through the kit I received and I'm noticing the line number on the part bags don't correspond with the line number in the most recent BOM. I'm more than happy to make corrections to the BOM so identifying items is a tad easier, but I want to make sure there isn't an update I don't know about. On that note, does anyone have an Excel doc with the most current BOM? I wrote synthcube too to see what they think. Luckily most parts are listed numerically in values so it's not that bad!

I have a knack for this kind of itemization. Can you tell? 8-)
Personally, I would not get stuck here. Look at the description and value on the bag, then see if that is what is in the bag.

But if you must go this way, I can tell you that Synthcube maintains this info in an Excel spreadsheet, but only publishes it in PDF. Maybe if you reach out to them... Beware: I have seen the spreadsheet, and I think you you will go cross-eyed, mainly because they store the absolute value as a number, the the multiplier or divider in a different column (not in away you can apply Excel functions to). They do it this way to streamline their warehouse process. But, this makes sorting the list by actual value (like a builder would do) a pain.
Wired for weird

thomaskobrick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thomaskobrick » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:02 am

Inching closer. Passed the checkout pre-flight test, i.e. resistance test before hooking up to power - no shorts.
IMG_8087.jpg
Then I filled my red Amphenol 5 pin power header with solder making the power cable and now it won't go on. :bang: If anyone has any tips or tricks on how to make these things... Or maybe I should have just googled that when I kept unspooling solder while it dripped down the header, filling the crevice where the pins ought to go. Oh well, two days and 8 dollars shipping later I will get my replacements. Gives me until then to connect my Gate Booster and make my fancy spring reverb cable!

So close!

minimamoralia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by minimamoralia » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:27 am

on the inside (where it meets the white male half) of the red connector, the channel for the cable shows a slot in the metal pin. just keep pushing your cable into the connector with a small tool until it mostly fills that slot. check for continuity between the two sides of the power cable while you wiggle the cables. if it's intermittent push down harder! no need for solder on those connectors.

i had to look up a video myself before i made them. can't find it now but help is out there.

thomaskobrick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thomaskobrick » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:44 pm

Thanks for that tip - funny you say that. I tried pushing it down into the little slit and didn’t have a tool that could convince me that was the appropriate method for that gauge of wire. I will re-assess when my assortment of replacement harnesses arrives on Wednesday. :hihi:

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thecivildefense » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:19 pm

I like to solder things just to have that little bit more security of the connections down the road. If you want to do this, use a fine tip on your iron so you don't touch the plastic, tin the wires and the header contacts, and then you should be able to just heat them together and you won't really need to add any more solder. Those headers can eat a lot of it and I'd assume there was too much there or the barriers between them melted and made some shorts.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:53 am

I have the v2 parts, panels and pcb kit that I'm getting ready to start on. Are there enough major changes in v4 to make it worth replacing the PCBs?

Thanks!

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:25 pm

loydb wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:53 am
I have the v2 parts, panels and pcb kit that I'm getting ready to start on. Are there enough major changes in v4 to make it worth replacing the PCBs?

Thanks!
In my opinion, no. My build guide will mostly still work. Not documented there, but on V2 its a good idea to shroud the Muratas in copper foil, and ground that. Otherwise, their switching noise will get picked up by the VCF.
Wired for weird

thomaskobrick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thomaskobrick » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:52 pm

On AC-coupling the filter inputs - is there a compelling argument against doing this mod? My instinct is to keep it stock and then see what the effect of NOT having the mod is, and then deciding later. But I also know once I get it cased up I’m highly unlikely to do an additional mod as I will be on to my next adventure (and hopefully using it!).

Anyone skip this mod and happy they did? Or should I just do it? Is this “thump” that the mod removes ever a desirable side effect for anything? Any regret applying the mod?

Thanks!

sduck

Post by sduck » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:00 pm

Of the several TTSH's I've built, I've done the AC-coupling mod on perhaps 2 of them. To my ears, it made no difference to the overall sound, although it did eliminate the occasional thud or pop. You can always route a vco through channel 1 of the filter mixer and get the thud if you want it. Or if you're more intrepid, you could make it switchable.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”