[AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: [AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

Post by fuzzbass » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:00 pm

thomaskobrick wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:52 pm
On AC-coupling the filter inputs - is there a compelling argument against doing this mod? My instinct is to keep it stock and then see what the effect of NOT having the mod is, and then deciding later. But I also know once I get it cased up I’m highly unlikely to do an additional mod as I will be on to my next adventure (and hopefully using it!).

Anyone skip this mod and happy they did? Or should I just do it? Is this “thump” that the mod removes ever a desirable side effect for anything? Any regret applying the mod?

Thanks!
The mod does slightly distort the wave shapes for Pulse and Saw. It's apparent on the scope, but not by my hearing - so pristine after many years standing next to crash cymbals.

If you are on the fence, at least consider how much work would be involved if you left it out and then later decided you wanted it. You would have to take the entire thing apart, panel off. My whole build process is predicated on not having to take the panel off, once its on there with all 81 little nuts. If you ordered slider dust covers, you will come to loathe putting the panel back on, believe me.

Maybe.... cut the traces, add the caps and add little shorting wires to defeat them, on the back of the PCB. These would bow out from under the cap footprints. You will start with stock, and if you decide later you don't like VCA thumping and pops, (and smoking your sub-woofer because you drive it with an old Crown DC-300) you can open the case the cut these jumpers to effect the mod.
Wired for weird

spacecadet
Learning to Wiggle

more on noise generator

Post by spacecadet » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:29 pm

I didn't like the the overdriven and raspy nature of the noise generator, so I have been conducting some experiments.

First off, it seems when the TTSH schematics were drawn up, it was assumed the original 2600 schematic was wrong.

This is because ARP schematic showed the collector of the 2N5172 connected to ground and the base floating, whereas the established method is to have the base grounded and the collector floating.

TTSH has the base grounded and collector floating as per current best practice, and NOT per ARP schematics. It seems from the examination of a real ARP PCB, the ARP schematic was actually correct.

See this page :-

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... &start=450

I tried a few different transistors, by using some chip socket pins I could swap out to my heart's content.

As per others experience, I found the BC337 to be better - more balanced and smoother,
but lacked the bass punch for when I wanted it which I get using the 2N5172

Then, I found that changing the hookup of the 2N5172 to per the ARP schematic, it actually sounded much better - less raspy, and still had that deep bass rumble.

So I have stuck with that, However, I also still like the BC337, so I have built a small daughtercard that allows me to switch between two different socketed transistors of my choice. I use two milmax transistor sockets and an optomos relay and powered it from the nearby power header:-

http://www.ixysic.com/home/pdfs.nsf/www ... LCC110.pdf

..as I didn't want wires carrying noise to/from the switch that I had to add to control it. Also means I can stick with a SPST switch.

An 820R resistor on the supply side of the relay provides the appropriate drive current to energize it.

You could probably achieve the same thing without the relay and just SPDT switch, but I have not tested it.

thomaskobrick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thomaskobrick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:44 am

fuzzbass wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:00 pm
...so pristine after many years standing next to crash cymbals.

If you are on the fence, at least consider how much work would be involved if you left it out and then later decided you wanted it. You would have to take the entire thing apart, panel off. My whole build process is predicated on not having to take the panel off, once its on there with all 81 little nuts. If you ordered slider dust covers, you will come to loathe putting the panel back on, believe me.

Maybe.... cut the traces, add the caps and add little shorting wires to defeat them, on the back of the PCB. These would bow out from under the cap footprints. You will start with stock, and if you decide later you don't like VCA thumping and pops, (and smoking your sub-woofer because you drive it with an old Crown DC-300) you can open the case the cut these jumpers to effect the mod.
Haha, as are mine! Oof...

That's a brilliant suggestion - thank you for that! If I don't just go for the whole mod I'll at least give myself an escape route as you suggested. I "built" a Korg MS-20 Kit and that was NO FUN. Definitely no urge to take it back apart . Right now I'm thinking you've sufficiently convinced me there is no down-side.

On another note - the slider dust covers. I'm looking for some suggestions on how NOT to foul them up - i.e. what type of adhesive do you guys recommend? There's apparently an installation guide at https://www.dsl-man.de/pages/viewpage.a ... d=44204058 but I don't have access despite signing up for an account. Looks like I need to cut around the overlaps and holes, but is there anything to watch out for? Best practices for aligning the centers so I don't have a life time of regret in the final stage of build?

My replacement harness comes today, so tonight may the the night to give her power! I have to install the gate booster yet, which seems fairly trivial. And then make a decision about the VCO sync - right now thinking to leave it off. And maybe the do sub-oscillator mod since it seems relatively idiot proof, and probably leave it at that. And I never got a MIDImplant - I assume they are still on back order? It may just have to wait until the next round of mods, should that occur...

paperCUT
Veteran Wiggler

Post by paperCUT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:31 am

thomaskobrick wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:44 am

On another note - the slider dust covers. I'm looking for some suggestions on how NOT to foul them up - i.e. what type of adhesive do you guys recommend? There's apparently an installation guide at https://www.dsl-man.de/pages/viewpage.a ... d=44204058 but I don't have access despite signing up for an account.
You need to contact to request access, should be no problem 8-)

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:10 am

fuzzbass wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:25 pm
In my opinion, no. My build guide will mostly still work. Not documented there, but on V2 its a good idea to shroud the Muratas in copper foil, and ground that. Otherwise, their switching noise will get picked up by the VCF.
Thanks! If was going to save some major headaches, $250 isn't a bunch, but I'd rather keep it :)
15U 168hp Zebrawood case Build Log [FINISHED]: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=134540
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thecivildefense » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:21 am

paperCUT wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:31 am
thomaskobrick wrote:

On another note - the slider dust covers. I'm looking for some suggestions on how NOT to foul them up - i.e. what type of adhesive do you guys recommend? There's apparently an installation guide at https://www.dsl-man.de/pages/viewpage.a ... d=44204058 but I don't have access despite signing up for an account.
Also curious about adhesive here, especially something available in the US. I used epoxy per instructions on my juno 60 but I know a lot of people don't like how annoying that'll be if you ever have to remove.

Also can't remember if it was here or on FB, but saw a picture of a set stuck to faders and not the panel. I do remember factory on my Juno had them stuck to faders, but I put the new set on the panel. Looks fine there also. Any strong opinions on affix them to the panel or the faders? Obviously you have more play with the panel since you need to be very careful to get nothing inside the faders, but it might look better fader side and would probably be easier to refit the panel.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:45 pm

thecivildefense wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:21 am
paperCUT wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:31 am
thomaskobrick wrote:

Also curious about adhesive here, especially something available in the US. I used epoxy per instructions on my juno 60 but I know a lot of people don't like how annoying that'll be if you ever have to remove.

Also can't remember if it was here or on FB, but saw a picture of a set stuck to faders and not the panel. I do remember factory on my Juno had them stuck to faders, but I put the new set on the panel. Looks fine there also. Any strong opinions on affix them to the panel or the faders? Obviously you have more play with the panel since you need to be very careful to get nothing inside the faders, but it might look better fader side and would probably be easier to refit the panel.
They are a pain to apply. You can't just set them on the sliders and push the panel down on top. A bunch or them are singles and they will just move with the slider. I rough up the surface and apply 3M 4475 cement using a hypo and fine tip. Press on the covers. Then comes the fun of putting the panel on - the covers obstruct the slots. The whole thing requires a lot of finesse.

After having done two of these for commissions, I am not at all entertaining the idea of opening up my personal TTSH and adding them.

This product would be much easier to install, and would probably last longer without separation, if it was cut to a single, large sheet.
Wired for weird

retokid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by retokid » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:41 am

Isn't there a pdf file of the PCB available ? I have easily found a pdf of the 1601 sequencer PCB, but it seems there isn't one available for the TTSH. Is this on purpose ? It would be of great help by building/modding...

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:24 am

retokid wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:41 am
Isn't there a pdf file of the PCB available ? I have easily found a pdf of the 1601 sequencer PCB, but it seems there isn't one available for the TTSH. Is this on purpose ? It would be of great help by building/modding...
It would also also be a big time saver for someone stealing the design. I know that is not your intent, but that is one reason it does not exist. Welcome to the post-Uli world.
Wired for weird

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thecivildefense » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:39 am

fuzzbass wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:45 pm
thecivildefense wrote:

They are a pain to apply. You can't just set them on the sliders and push the panel down on top. A bunch or them are singles and they will just move with the slider. I rough up the surface and apply 3M 4475 cement using a hypo and fine tip. Press on the covers. Then comes the fun of putting the panel on - the covers obstruct the slots. The whole thing requires a lot of finesse.

After having done two of these for commissions, I am not at all entertaining the idea of opening up my personal TTSH and adding them.

This product would be much easier to install, and would probably last longer without separation, if it was cut to a single, large sheet.
Yeah I can see it being a challenge to get the panel to sit right once these are installed on the panel.

I know they can't just sit on the faders, but it seems they could be *carefully* glued to the fader shells themselves rather than the metal panel, which would make it not affect the panel installation. Obviously the adhesive would have to be viscous enough and it'd have to be applied carefully so as to not drip into the faders and ruin them. But like with the juno I did it's easy enough to use a razor blade and remove them if changing them later or changing the faders. Maybe not worth the effort, and I'll just do it to the panel and curse a little trying to fit it:)

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thecivildefense » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:40 am

thecivildefense wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:39 am
fuzzbass wrote:
thecivildefense wrote:

Yeah I can see it being a challenge to get the panel to sit right once these are installed on the panel.

I know they can't just sit on the faders, but it seems they could be *carefully* glued to the fader shells themselves rather than the metal panel, which would make it not affect the panel installation. Obviously the adhesive would have to be viscous enough and it'd have to be applied carefully so as to not drip into the faders and ruin them. But like with the juno I did (factory glued to faders) it's easy enough to use a razor blade and remove them if changing them later or changing the faders. Maybe not worth the effort, and I'll just do it to the panel and curse a little trying to fit it:)

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

thecivildefense wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:39 am
fuzzbass wrote:
thecivildefense wrote:

I know they can't just sit on the faders, but it seems they could be *carefully* glued to the fader shells themselves rather than the metal panel, which would make it not affect the panel installation. Obviously the adhesive would have to be viscous enough and it'd have to be applied carefully so as to not drip into the faders and ruin them. But like with the juno I did (factory glued to faders) it's easy enough to use a razor blade and remove them if changing them later or changing the faders. Maybe not worth the effort, and I'll just do it to the panel and curse a little trying to fit it:)

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

fuzzbass wrote:
thecivildefense wrote:

thecivildefense
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thecivildefense » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:42 am

thecivildefense wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:40 am
fuzzbass wrote:
thecivildefense wrote:

I know they can't just sit on the faders, but it seems they could be *carefully* glued to the fader shells themselves rather than the metal panel, which would make it not affect the panel installation. Obviously the adhesive would have to be viscous enough and it'd have to be applied carefully so as to not drip into the faders and ruin them. But like with the juno I did (factory glued to faders) it's easy enough to use a razor blade and remove them if changing them later or changing the faders. Maybe not worth the effort or chance of messing up a fader and needing to open and fit again, and I'll just do it to the panel and curse a little trying to fit it:)

KSS
Ultra Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:11 pm

thecivildefense wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:42 am
I know they can't just sit on the faders, but it seems they could be *carefully* glued to the fader shells themselves rather than the metal panel, which would make it not affect the panel installation.
Yes, this.
It only takes a very small amount of adhesive if you're using a bonded 'felt' solution. Barge cement is a good choice. 2 or 4 dots at the ends/corners. Recommend against using craft felt on sliders at any time.

When buying OEM sliders, it's easy to get a slit plastic cover for a very small upcharge. I usually do ask for this.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:34 pm

thecivildefense wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:40 am

I suppose you could give it a try, but I'm skeptical. Metal is not receptive to most adhesives, and the slider shells have a thin film of slider lubricant on them. As I said above, if whoever was making this kit just cut one large sheet with holes for all the jacks and switches, then it could be pushed down onto everything and would stay in place with no adhesive at all.
Wired for weird

alocaster
Learning to Wiggle

Felt dust covers

Post by alocaster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:30 pm

I was kind of hoping I had some photos but alas I did not. I will say that it was not particularly difficult to apply the dust protection to the panel. The one concern I did have was how it changed the clearance of everything that had been soldered. With time and a bit of compression the board is not tweaked.

I cleaned the panel with denatured alcohol and worked in sections allowing a few to dry at a time.

I used Aleens tacky glue after experimenting with others like Elmers rubber cement.It covered more evenly and had working time. When dry it was clear and easy to remove excess.

I used an acid brush cut down for applying the glue, and used toothpicks for aligning the slider slots with the cut out.

Was an expensive but worthwhile improvement in my workspace. Now I wish someone would make a metal lid with latches for the metal case.
rob

thomaskobrick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thomaskobrick » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:56 am

It's alive!
IMG_8093.jpg
Miraculously muscled through checkout with flying colors. I'm skipping most mods for now, and decided to forgo the dust covers until I get the MIDImplant, and I can then figure out what kind of VCO sync I want configure, etc. For now, I did add the AC coupling and the GateBooster, and that's it.

Just a few minutes with thing and I am quickly realizing it is so much more than the sum of its parts. I am suspicious something might not be right with the internal clock input, because it doesn't defeat the internal LFO for sample and hold, but then I genuinely don't know the intricacies of how this thing works, so I'll wait to be concerned until after I cross-reference any concerns with the user manual haha.

For now, I'm having so much fun making crazy sounds. This thing is a horror movie sound designers dream come true! That ring mod and that spring reverb - holy cow. I get it now... Now the fun part really begins - learning this thing!

Again, kudos to team SynthCube and to fuzzbass. And thanks to all who offered photos and suggestions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thomaskobrick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thomaskobrick » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:56 am

I take back what I said about the Ext Clock not defeating the LFO - I think it's working perfectly. It doesn't defeat the LFO clock, just the sample and hold trigger. I'm so haaaappppyyyyyyy!

:banana:

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:32 pm

thomaskobrick wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:56 am
I take back what I said about the Ext Clock not defeating the LFO - I think it's working perfectly. It doesn't defeat the LFO clock, just the sample and hold trigger. I'm so haaaappppyyyyyyy!

:banana:
You are correct. The internal clock keeps on tickin' when you patch something into the ext clock in jack. The panel graphics are a tad misleading in this regard.

Did you do the electronic switch mod? It's great, easy, reversible, and you don't have to take the panel off to add it. It costs nothing and gets you a sub oscillator.

Congrats on a clean build! :yay:
Wired for weird

thomaskobrick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thomaskobrick » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:32 pm

fuzzbass wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:32 pm
Congrats on a clean build! :yay:
Thanks fuzzbass! Your guide was invaluable in it being a clean build!
fuzzbass wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:32 pm
Did you do the electronic switch mod? It's great, easy, reversible, and you don't have to take the panel off to add it. It costs nothing and gets you a sub oscillator.
You know, I didn't, and I don't have a good reason except that I wanted to get to know it in its stock state - I fully intend to do the mod once the MIDImplant arrives and I've decided how I'd like to configure the VCO sync mod, but I decided to just leave it for now. It definitely sounds like a cool mod and I left off the dust covers to avoid any friction opening it back up to do it. I appreciate you mentioning it again.

This thing really does sound amazing. I discovered the TTSH project after V3 but before V4 and was bummed that I possibly missed my chance to build one. I'm so pleased I had an opportunity to join the fun. On headphones this thing is a beast, but I've been just letting it chatter away all day through the speakers and tweaking it as I pass by. I really love the vibe of the mid-rangey speakers. I can't wait to record it and really hear it against a track. Smiles just thinking about it.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:19 am

Synthcube now has TTSH Shaper's full kits. Go and get 'em, folks!
Wired for weird

Jim the Oldbie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:33 am

I'm so pissed! I was gonna order this & some other stuff, but I ate too much pizza Sunday night & fell asleep watching a movie. Woke up at around 11:30 PM CST & tried to place an order, but forgot about the time difference & missed the weekend sale! I'm such a slob sometimes...

Thanks for doing this Fuzzbass. The either/or waveform choices have always been a bit frustrating with the 2600. Anyone have any thoughts on how these additions would affect the sync wiring strategy?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”