[AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Re: [AVAILABLE] TTSH V4 Build Thread

Post by resynthesize » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:28 pm

i'm starting to gather parts for this project and first up was to convert the PDF BOM to google sheets:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1atsDz06QrvFoIo8g3mywoeSVEDUWGHuomcjwVLUo5-g/edit?usp=sharing

apologies if someone has already converted it, I did a quick thread search and didn't find any myself.

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:17 pm

Is there any reason why I couldn’t build the wave shaper as a stand-alone unit?
I could put it into a stomp box type enclosure with its own supply.

I just did similar with an an Oakley deep Equinoxe phaser which sounds great with my TTSH.

Edit: I looked at your build guide and the schematics. The places where you are tapping into the sawtooth outputs are essentially the same as the signals available on the saw output jacks. Those just include a 1k series resistor to offer some short circuit protection.

What are the dimensions of the PCB?

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:08 pm

musicorchard wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:21 pm
fuzzbass wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:19 am
Synthcube now has TTSH Shaper's full kits. Go and get 'em, folks!
Thanks for the heads up! I've already placed my order for one and even snagged it with the discount.

Is there a more updated BOM/guide for this version? I see the thread, but the files look like they're from 2017. Did I miss something? I tried the Google drive Link on the box picture but it doesn't work.
Gee sorry bout that, here it is. Shapers Build Doc
Wired for weird

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:12 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:17 pm

I just did similar with an an Oakley deep Equinoxe phaser which sounds great with my TTSH.

Edit: I looked at your build guide and the schematics. The places where you are tapping into the sawtooth outputs are essentially the same as the signals available on the saw output jacks. Those just include a 1k series resistor to offer some short circuit protection.

The triangle shaper is taken directly from that of VCO2, so it branches off before the 1K load resistor. But you are correct - it will work fine if you take the output after the load resistor. LED-man builds them this way.

You can build it into a stomp box. The sub oscillator input will probably deal with just about any source waveform but it might sound gnarly if you plug a guitar into it. The board is 100x70mm. Be sure to share your creation here!
Wired for weird

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:33 pm

Jim the Oldbie wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:33 am
IAnyone have any thoughts on how these additions would affect the sync wiring strategy?
I just added sync and the shapers to a v2, and I built both right up top of the board near each other.

Sync is more of a bleed risk than the shapers. If you stack the sync board on top of the VCO1 4027-1, you can make all the signal runs very short and get away with unshielded cable - just don't twist or drill the wires. The main bleed problem I have seen with sync is if the signal runs cross paths with the reverb wiring. For longer runs or ones that come near the reverb wiring, you MUST use coax. For example, if you mount the board atop a speaker.

The shapers are a bit immune to bleed, since the outputs run back close to the VCO they track, and they are moving in sympathy. They might be bleeding, but you would not notice.
Wired for weird

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:53 pm

fuzzbass wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:12 pm
spacecadet wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:17 pm

The triangle shaper is taken directly from that of VCO2, so it branches off before the 1K load resistor. But you are correct - it will work fine if you take the output after the load resistor. LED-man builds them this way.

You can build it into a stomp box. The sub oscillator input will probably deal with just about any source waveform but it might sound gnarly if you plug a guitar into it. The board is 100x70mm. Be sure to share your creation here!
Thank you. I will be sure to do that. I'm not planning to plug in a guitar. Just going to make it into that type of format for use with my synths. It wont have any foot switches!!

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:09 pm

C_C wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:08 pm
Any new news regarding the slider caps as well as a progress update on the assembled units? :hyper:
yes!
Assembled unit pre-orders began shipping a couple weeks ago-- and we are working through them.
Road case pre-orders- similarly, some have shipped and we are shipping against the order queue as they are made. Feedback has been almost universally positive about this option.
We are still awaiting a final sample of the slider caps that we love, before OK'ing the production run. We believe the wait to be worth it.
We are still awaiting the latest batch of Midimplants, and just got in another batch of slider dust cover sets, so if you are missing some of those bits, they will be going out to you as we receive them.

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:35 pm

I just got my waveshaper kit.

Two of the chips - the TL074 and CD4013 were on regular white foam, not anti static foam, and were packed in a regular bag, not an antistatic bag.

I hope they will work ok?
Last edited by spacecadet on Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:33 pm

Need help with ext clock in of S&H module. I’ve calibrated the internal clock and the S&H works as expected but no ext input has an effect on the clock. I’ve checked the components based on the schematic and they look correct. It’s as if the ext signal is supposed to switch off or interrupt the internal clock but nothing happens.

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:25 pm

Purveyor2 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:33 pm
Need help with ext clock in of S&H module. I’ve calibrated the internal clock and the S&H works as expected but no ext input has an effect on the clock. I’ve checked the components based on the schematic and they look correct. It’s as if the ext signal is supposed to switch off or interrupt the internal clock but nothing happens.
Err , it won’t affect the clock. The internal clock keeps running just as before. It is supposed to drive the S&H directly though and override the internal clock. Is that what you meant to say?

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:34 am

Yeah that’s what I meant, override the internal clock.

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:09 pm

OK, what is you external clock source? Is it from one of the square wave outputs of the oscillators in LFO mode, or is it from an outside source?

Just trying to establish if you are attempting to drive it with the proper voltage levels

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:11 pm

Initially keystep (software set to 10v), then MOTM square wave. Played with it again last night and identified that the ext clock appears during an internal clock pulse. So the internal stays master but the external source gets mixed in when int clock is high.

Jim the Oldbie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:35 pm

Sounds like the external input is not disconnecting the normalled connection from the internal clock. This could be a defective jack, or a short on the board somewhere.

To test this (with power off), plug a loose patch cord into the ext. clock input jack, then check for continuity between the tip and the NC contact connection on the jack at the pads where the jack is soldered to the board. If this reads zero or very low ohms, there's the problem. Next step would be a careful visual inspection to check for solder bridges etc. between nearby pads. As a last resort you could carefully desolder the ext. clock input jack, then see if the short is still there. If the short goes away at that point, then the jack is probably defective.

search64
Ultra Wiggler

Post by search64 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:36 am

synthcube wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:09 pm
We are still awaiting a final sample of the slider caps that we love, before OK'ing the production run. We believe the wait to be worth it.
Can you show us how they're going to look?

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:16 pm

Jim the Oldbie wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:35 pm
Sounds like the external input is not disconnecting the normalled connection from the internal clock. This could be a defective jack, or a short on the board somewhere.

To test this (with power off), plug a loose patch cord into the ext. clock input jack, then check for continuity between the tip and the NC contact connection on the jack at the pads where the jack is soldered to the board. If this reads zero or very low ohms, there's the problem. Next step would be a careful visual inspection to check for solder bridges etc. between nearby pads. As a last resort you could carefully desolder the ext. clock input jack, then see if the short is still there. If the short goes away at that point, then the jack is probably defective.
Thank you. The Jack tested ok, I hadn’t cleaned that portion of the board, scrubbed it real quick and whatever junk was causing the short is gone.

tenma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tenma » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:00 am

I've been making my way through the V4 build guide (thanks Fuzzbass for a great guide) and had a few questions I was hoping some of you might be able to answer.

1 - Can anyone confirm that the 5 Pin power connector on the main pcb follows this layout?
5Pin power.jpg
2 - I am still unsure in regards to the pin layout of the 2N3954. Is there anyway to be sure which pcb revision I have? I bought the V4, and it is probably one of the early versions. It has the REV8 writing on it. Should I reverse the pins? I would rather be sure than make a mistake.
2N3954.jpg
3 - Lastly, I have a 100K trimmer which I couldn't locate it's designator. Is it used and if so where should it be installed?
100Kohms trimmer.jpg

Thanks for any and all help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:18 am

tenma wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:00 am
I've been making my way through the V4 build guide (thanks Fuzzbass for a great guide) and had a few questions I was hoping some of you might be able to answer.

1 - Can anyone confirm that the 5 Pin power connector on the main pcb follows this layout?
5Pin power.jpg

2 - I am still unsure in regards to the pin layout of the 2N3954. Is there anyway to be sure which pcb revision I have? I bought the V4, and it is probably one of the early versions. It has the REV8 writing on it. Should I reverse the pins? I would rather be sure than make a mistake.
2N3954.jpg

3 - Lastly, I have a 100K trimmer which I couldn't locate it's designator. Is it used and if so where should it be installed?
100Kohms trimmer.jpg

1. Yes; the board markings here are correct.
2. If you bought this from Synthcube, its V4 and the 2N3954 in the VCO2 sine shaper needs pins 5 and 6 swapped.
3. That trimmer goes on the 4072 sub board.
Wired for weird

tenma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tenma » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:20 am

fuzzbass wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:18 am

1. Yes; the board markings here are correct.
2. If you bought this from Synthcube, its V4 and the 2N3954 in the VCO2 sine shaper needs pins 5 and 6 swapped.
3. That trimmer goes on the 4072 sub board.
[/quote]

Great, very much appreciated Fuzzbass

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:12 am

Question about oscillator tracking. I’ve got one Osc that only tracks about 2 oct then the third octave jumps about half a note sharp which continues to drift even sharper higher up the scale. The other osc are fine, go about 4 oct with just a few cents variation. I replaced the transistor pair which gave better stability in those first couple octaves but didn’t change the exaggerated response with 3v/oct or more.

What component(s) could be responsible?

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:01 pm

Test:
Swap a other VCO pcb in this VCO.
Push/pull the LF switch - often are the switch pins not connected and the OSC frequency isn’t stable then.
Start to replace the CA3046 (if you used an IC socket)
And if not successful swap the JFETs (2N5459) in case you can’t identify with an Scope the difference between the faulty VCO and from an working VCO.
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

Faasdnb
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Faasdnb » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:18 pm

Troubleshooting question for the group:

Just finished the build to the point of voltage testing. Unit passes with adapter and DC/DC converter connected to main board. Every section BUT the oscillators appears to be working as intended.

Nothing on the board appears to have blown on power-up and voltage appears to be passing through the individual oscillator cores but routing them internally OR externally to the filter produces a flat positively offset voltage. No oscillation is taking place. I've checked the transistors in the oscillator sections to make sure I didn't accidentally reverse something and they appear to be correct.

Finding it odd that all 3 aren't working and not sure how to troubleshoot this issue. Any help would be super appreciated

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:14 am

Faasdnb wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:18 pm
Finding it odd that all 3 aren't working and not sure how to troubleshoot this issue. Any help would be super appreciated
It's not odd if you built them all at once. Or even serially within the same session. Or after sorting parts for the VCOs as a single separate operation.

Next step is to completely verify ALL parts and polarities in ONE of the VCOs. Ignore the others while you do so. After that one is verified, than and only then compare it with the next till a second is verifed for correct parts and placement. Then -and only then- do the third. None of this is intended to fix your problem, so don't confuse checking ALL the part selections and insertions with that. Once you've done this step, you will have a baseline -and two backups- to begin troubleshooting from.

The good news is that non-oscillation of a saw core is almost always only one of two things. Either the timing cap isn't being charged. Or it isn't being reset. To check the first, parallel a huge capacitor for a really slow charge rate and you'll be able to see whether charging is happening. Although if you've got a 10V positive DC one could probably conclude that it did charge already. The big timing cap will let you see it happening. The LF/Audio switchis the obivous means to test this, but doing that involves a number of additional parts and switched change of potentials. Direct parallel LF cap bypasses these.

Reset missing is often due to reset comparator set point resistors values or soldering-insertion problems, and -in this case- FET problems. Soldering or static caused FET damage possibly.

edit: Since step one already gave you three identically MARKED and properly inserted VCOs, you can now take comparative readings -UNpowered- between them to possibly isolate single bad parts. The normal worry that you're only measuring a group of parts is somewhat minimized by the fact that you're checking like with supposed to be like. Do keep in mind that part tolerances will mean you don't get identical readings. But the outliers -if any- should become apparent. Putting this last because -in your particular case- its less likely you have single bad parts since all three VCOs are showing the same result. The bad news -in this case- is that this test won't show you that all three of a certain resistor, one per VCO, is out of tolerance./edit

edit2: All of the above assumes you've already determined that the power and GND pins of all VCOs are reading proper voltage potentials. In an OG 2600 and the V1 TTSH this was simple to see and test. The later TTSH versions may not have the same simplicity. This power check should be the first thng verified. Putting it here last because you've said you have positive DC output, and that is at least suggestive that you've got proper power to the VCO pins. /edit

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:16 am

Purveyor2 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:12 am
Question about oscillator tracking. I’ve got one Osc that only tracks about 2 oct then the third octave jumps about half a note sharp which continues to drift even sharper higher up the scale. The other osc are fine, go about 4 oct with just a few cents variation. I replaced the transistor pair which gave better stability in those first couple octaves but didn’t change the exaggerated response with 3v/oct or more.

What component(s) could be responsible?
Did you built the TTSh from Synthcubes Fullpart Kit ?
It not from where are JFETS 2N5459 and 2N4125 ?

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:18 am

Chinese 2N5459 fakes.
BC65BA12-0285-4683-9242-FBA6E5237E40.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”