a legend is back...System-700 in eurorack

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

gslug
Common Wiggler

Re: a legend is back...System-700 in eurorack

Post by gslug » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:19 pm

wendallsan wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:40 am
I could NOT pass up the chance to own a System 700, though. :love:
Exactly this. I've ordered PCBs and panels for a near enough block 1 clone. Now looking at rails and designing a case.
One day I'll get an avatar!

Bukake2Fuzz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bukake2Fuzz » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:18 pm

Hello!

Anyone tried the Panning module files?

wendallsan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wendallsan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:16 pm

gslug wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:19 pm

Exactly this. I've ordered PCBs and panels for a near enough block 1 clone. Now looking at rails and designing a case.
Nice! I would love to see pics of your finished project. I added a few 'non-Pharmasonic' modules to my system to round it out a little, but it is otherwise pretty 'pure.' I have a 4MS Row Power 40 powering the case, a Hexinverter Electronique Mutant Brain for MIDI to CV and gate conversion, a 4MS SISM to handle adjusting incoming CV signals to voltages the system likes (I have a lot of modules that only output a max of ±5V), a 2hp Buffered Multi, and a Music Thing Modular Spring Reverb. I built the whole mess into a custom 2 row, 126hp case.

It is a pretty amazing stand-alone system, and I really should be spending more time with it. Instead, I'm building other racks ... :roll:

Currently building a whole mess of modules by Nonlinear Circuits. Troubleshooting a Nonlinear Circuits Sauce of Unce.

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:02 pm

wendallsan wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:16 pm
Nice! I would love to see pics of your finished project. I added a few 'non-Pharmasonic' modules to my system to round it out a little, but it is otherwise pretty 'pure.' I have a 4MS Row Power 40 powering the case, a Hexinverter Electronique Mutant Brain for MIDI to CV and gate conversion, a 4MS SISM to handle adjusting incoming CV signals to voltages the system likes (I have a lot of modules that only output a max of ±5V), a 2hp Buffered Multi, and a Music Thing Modular Spring Reverb. I built the whole mess into a custom 2 row, 126hp case.

It is a pretty amazing stand-alone system, and I really should be spending more time with it. Instead, I'm building other racks ... :roll:
Your system looks great!

Of course I'll post some pictures. It'll be a while though... I've got the rack rails and am waiting on the PCBs and panels. I ordered some PCBs for an LM317/337 based PSU and bus board yesterday and will probably get the wood in the next few days, but my woodwork skills leave a lot to be desired, so actually putting a case together mighty take some time.

I still need to order the components, including any rare parts, and also decide which other modules to add - a spring reverb is definitely on the list though. Don't need a MIDI to CV module as I have a 1U rack mount MIDIbox CV that can do +15V gates. As well as the block one modules, I've ordered the sequencer, gate delay, analogue switch and pulse shaper. Might have a go at cloning the fixed filter bank and audio delay myself at some point.

Bukake2Fuzz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bukake2Fuzz » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:18 pm

Hello,

Does anybody have news about the sequencer?

:mrgreen:

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:56 pm

Bukake2Fuzz wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:18 pm
Hello,

It's available for pre order. No idea how long until it's ready though!

Bukake2Fuzz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bukake2Fuzz » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:35 am

gslug wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:56 pm
Bukake2Fuzz wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:18 pm
Hello,

It's available for pre order. No idea how long until it's ready though!
Yes , thank you, i was asking for those who pre order back in october like me...

wendallsan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wendallsan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:14 pm

I have 2 empty cases waiting to be filled by 2 of those pre-ordered sequencers!

Didn't think I'd have time to build the cases before the modules arrived, but that is how it is shaking out.

:miley:
Currently building a whole mess of modules by Nonlinear Circuits. Troubleshooting a Nonlinear Circuits Sauce of Unce.

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:20 am

Bukake2Fuzz wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:35 am
Yes , thank you, i was asking for those who pre order back in october like me...
End of this month hopefully. I asked Pharmasonic.

LektroiD
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LektroiD » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:59 pm

Double post, but can't find the delete function
Last edited by LektroiD on Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LektroiD
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LektroiD » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:59 pm

gslug wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:20 am
Bukake2Fuzz wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:35 am
End of this month hopefully. I asked Pharmasonic.
Soon then... Great news!

ishi
Common Wiggler

Post by ishi » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:54 pm

wendallsan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wendallsan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:51 am

A very nice video! Also, it makes me appreciate the Eurorack standard, as the original looks like it would crush you if it fell on you! :hihi:

Maybe 'end of February' now for the Sequencer releases??? :roll:

I wound up filling my 2 cases that I built for the sequencers with other modules, because who wants to sit around and stare at 2 empty eurorack cases for months on end? I guess I'll build some more cases when the sequencers actually get shipped. Half the modules are DIY even (the quad lowpass gate is still a work in progress)!

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:16 pm

All I know is the sequencer has been delayed :waah: - my other modules are on the way though. Need to get around to building the cases, and find out just how bad I am at putting on Tolex. In the meantime, I've been building an SSL compressor clone.

ishi
Common Wiggler

Post by ishi » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:33 am

Just received this news in the mail:

"Pharmasonic is happy to introduce its new SYS-700 series for 5U modular systems (Moog/Dotcom or MOTM).
Like the first SYS-700 series in Eurorack, all modules of the new SYS-700 series are clones of the legendary Roland System-700 modular synthesizer.
Already 14 modules are available as DIY projects.

All modules require a +15V/-15V power supply.
The PCB's accommodate both Dotcom and MOTM power supply connector types.
The front panels we offer are in Moog/Dotcom format.
For MOTM front panels, you'll have to design your own.

PCB's and front panels are available for pre-order now."

wendallsan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wendallsan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:44 am

I hope Pharmasonic isn't getting ahead of themselves here, as they haven't released their last pre-order, which is now 5 months late and no updates or explanations why ...

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:37 am

The black-panel version of the Eurokorn would be a good substitute for the System 700 sequencer I think.

Bukake2Fuzz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bukake2Fuzz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:14 pm

Hello!

Does anybody have any news from the pre order sequencer?
pharma.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wendallsan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wendallsan » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:34 am

It's been crickets since I sent them hundreds of dollars in October to pre-order two of these sequencers. The announced mid-November ship date came and went nearly a half year ago now. There have been no updates from Pharmasonic about it that I've seen (and I've been looking!), although they seem to have continued to release other new modules in the meantime.
:despair:

LektroiD
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LektroiD » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:36 am

wendallsan wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:34 am
It's been crickets since I sent them hundreds of dollars in October to pre-order two of these sequencers. The announced mid-November ship date came and went nearly a half year ago now. There have been no updates from Pharmasonic about it that I've seen (and I've been looking!), although they seem to have continued to release other new modules in the meantime.
:despair:
I noticed all went quiet after the announcement of the 717 sequencer and the 715 multimode filter. I was looking forward to the filter which was due at the end of September 2019. I have emailed Ori a few times to see if he's ok (after the radio silence, I was concerned something may have happened to him), he has replied to my emails saying he was very busy.

For a good while, I've been at the stage where I would like to do another bulk buy of a lot of repeated modules to expand my system, but was holding off to add the 715 into the order. After waiting so long and with the sequencer on hiatus, I have little confidence to make any sort of further purchase.

It's a bit of a concern that new 5U projects have emerged, when they have pre-paid euro projects on pre-order. Have you been in touch with Ori about the sequencer? It might be an idea to email him and see where he's at with it now, or if it's even going ahead. If not, you could ask for a refund, or even credit in his store if you fancy repeat buying modules to make a bigger core system. I hope you get it sorted one way or another. Keep us posted.

wendallsan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wendallsan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:43 am

I reached out to Pharmasonic yesterday asking about it and for a refund for my two re-orders if it is not going to happen or is going to continue to be delayed. It's a shame as those sequencers look so nice! :goo:

ringroad1
Common Wiggler

Post by ringroad1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:49 am

As I understand it if you sync the System 700 sequencer from an external clock source the step time pots don’t vary the timing. (source for this: http://search.retrosynth.com/ah/search/ ... v0410.1455 and again: http://search.retrosynth.com/ah/search/ ... -v0807.593)

I was going to make one myself, getting as far as collecting enough of the odd Sanyo TV switching chips and got some way into drawing the boards out but that put me off.

That might not matter for you tho. Aphex likes them :-) http://search.retrosynth.com/ah/search/ ... -v0509.425

wendallsan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wendallsan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:45 am

I heard back from Ori at Pharmasonic and it sounds like the boards for the sequencer have been in Corona virus hell since January, which is understandable as the boards were being manufactured in China, and now shipping into and out of Japan is also suspended, so it sounds like the boards are sitting in a warehouse in China waiting for things to settle down.

:deadbanana:

I think this is all wholly understandable given our current pandemic situation, and asked them to keep my order in queue. I figured I would put in an update here in case others have pre-ordered. They are saying it might be as little as a few days before they get the boards, or it could be another month-- sounds exactly like my Amazon Prime shipping at the moment, so I'm not surprised by this explanation since it seems everyone is in a lurch.

:sb:

indigoid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indigoid » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:39 pm

Interesting project. It's great that you're making these available, and I really love the aesthetic and especially refusal to squish everything into 3hp per module. If I didn't already have an enormous DIY backlog I'd order the whole set without hesitation.

However... I noticed a spelling error on the "707" module panel, and then upon further browsing of this thread I saw it again. It's not great that panels with such errors made it into the hands of customers. Maybe in future you could post them in the panel proof-reading thread (in this DIY forum) first :-)

https://www.pharmasonic.jp/shop/index.p ... er=product
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!

bawbag
Common Wiggler

Post by bawbag » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:09 am

indigoid wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:39 pm
Interesting project. It's great that you're making these available, and I really love the aesthetic and especially refusal to squish everything into 3hp per module. If I didn't already have an enormous DIY backlog I'd order the whole set without hesitation.

However... I noticed a spelling error on the "707" module panel, and then upon further browsing of this thread I saw it again. It's not great that panels with such errors made it into the hands of customers. Maybe in future you could post them in the panel proof-reading thread (in this DIY forum) first :-)

https://www.pharmasonic.jp/shop/index.p ... er=product
Seems fine to me. If you're referring to the "intergrater" spelling, well that comes from the original:
As these are a reproduction of the above module, I think the spelling is entirely intentional. Also if you look at the listing you linked to, the creator spells it correctly in the description.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”