ST Modular

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

oberkorn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oberkorn » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:13 am

:tu: for ST
I've done the reverb, now the eurokastle
you have to pay for the music but the noise is free

AlterX
Learning to Wiggle

Cyllene

Post by AlterX » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:19 pm

I had to ask Stefan for the Cyllene circuit as after 2 x Cyllene builds - some magik smoke when a chip went into self-destruct - and still it does not work :mad:

AlterX
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Cyllene

Post by AlterX » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:22 pm

All sorted. The THAT280 chip was a fake device. Tested circuit using matched pairs transistors and worked a treat. New THAT fiited..all now good. It a good stable oscillator.

AlterX
Learning to Wiggle

ST Modular - Yaksha's Fate

Post by AlterX » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Have built 2 off these modules. The 1st build was perfect in all ways.
The 2nd build however, outputs a high level of digital noise with no input present. The MCU, DAC and all Op Amps have been swapped out. All R and Cs are metered good. Any ideas from the room ?

AlterX
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AlterX » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:39 pm

Pyxis - Finished this module last night aka Plaits. Worked fine for first test run, sounded great across all functions, sorted. Tonight, took a few seconds to fire up and now there is a high pitch tone across all the functions. If Variant is turned fully clockwise the tone is clear and precise, with the other controls fully anti-clockwise. The STM was loaded with the Pyxis Bootloader and firmware.
Any ideas form the room ?

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zerodivide » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:31 am

I'm looking the PYXIS Plaits clone. Is there no attenuverter for FM like in the original?

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: ST Modular

Post by drowld » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:10 pm

Anyone tried the new sum 2 mixer ? Seems really interesting
WTB: The Harvestman Hertz Donut MkII, Mimeophon, WMD SSF DPLR, SSF Vortices, Quadrax, Frap tools 321, MI Warps

Polysilicon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Polysilicon » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:08 pm

I'm building a Sum2 right this moment. Just waiting on a few hard to get dual pots and then I'll fire it up.

In the meantime, the pcb and panel are great and the only issues I have is the lettering on the pcb is a bit fuzzy and the ordering of the part numbering is kind of all over the place which makes finding a location a bit of work until you figure out the pattern. Other than that, it looks good.

Also, the creator is very easy to contact about any issues.

constantG
Learning to Wiggle

Post by constantG » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:51 am

Built the SUM 2, Rocinates Gate and next up is the KAS drum module. Only issue I have is the 2nd channel on SUM 2 has lost a lot of its low end and is therefore a bit noisy, I'm going to call that a feature and live with it for now (maybe put the KAS module through it, when that's built)

Props to you ST, your well spaced out layouts are helping my SMD soldering skills along nicely.

:)

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:10 pm

I'm interested in the Sum2 but after searching around I haven't found pricing & availability to the US. It's not clear to me how to get one, whether assembled units or pre soldered pcbs are available, etc. Also they want all Q&A on Facebook. Doesn't sound like this module is for me unless maybe one of you can suggest a way in.
:nana: “Could only have been painted by a madman.”

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:58 pm

Pusherman has some ST Modular stuff that's prebuilt, but not a lot. They do carry all the DIY stuff, and some of it is available with presoldered smt stuff. I just got a pile of ST stuff from them, including the Sum 2 mixer, which I'm fairly excited about. I've gotten lots of stuff from pusherman, and while they're somewhere in the UK, it gets here fast and inexpensively.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

col
Veteran Wiggler

Post by col » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:16 am

I just finished building a couple of the GRITZNER PT2399 based delays. Nice build using the iBOM and an interesting take on the chip. I got the PCB/Panels from the Australian dealer, nice to only have to pay local shipping cost for a change! I'm surprised no one in the US has taken up the dealership there yet.

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:16 pm

Built a Cyllene that refused to calibrate and a Pyxis that had solder mask wash off when I cleaned it prior to soldering and then never worked, but the 2hp delay works well

60hz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 60hz » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:03 pm

Did anyone build the SUM2 mixer? Were you able to source T18 B100K center detent pots for the pan and EQ channels? The V2 BOM links to Thonk but the only center detent pots they seem to have are B10K.

https://github.com/Laminim/EURORACK/blo ... M2_BOM.xls

banksean
1-Post Wiggler

Post by banksean » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:26 pm

60hz wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:03 pm
Did anyone build the SUM2 mixer? Were you able to source T18 B100K center detent pots for the pan and EQ channels? The V2 BOM links to Thonk but the only center detent pots they seem to have are B10K.

https://github.com/Laminim/EURORACK/blo ... M2_BOM.xls
Welcome to The Great Component Shortage of 2021. *Everyone* is out of these (and fast running out of other various types of general-purpose parts).

I've got several ST SUM Stereo PCBs, and piles of everything I need in the BOMs *except* for ...Pots. All just sitting there in a drawer. I've started salvaging pots from half-finished projects and other DIY modules I don't use any more, but I don't think I'll have enough.

60hz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 60hz » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:21 pm

Yes, pots are hard to find these days. Thonk just restocked most values with round shaft though. And Tayda started selling their own clones of horizontal and vertical B10K, B50K and B100K (round shaft only).

For the SUM2, the particular challenge is that I can't seem to find any supplier who would even sell B100K *center detent* pots. Alternatives:
1. use regular B100K without center detent - may be difficult to dial in the neutral position for EQ and pan
2. use these Alps pots with D-shaft: RK09D113BF25B15 - would not fit the Thonk micro knobs but maybe other tiny knobs?

Any other options? Or did someone do one of the above and found that it worked?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”