Rare Waves Hydronium

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Rare Waves Hydronium

Post by msegarra » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:14 pm

Has anyone built this yet?Hydronium

Ayab
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ayab » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:24 am

I haven't built a Hydronium but it does sound very good to me, going by the nicely musical demos.

[edited]The eurorack module (for me) also looks like an excellent module. Both would be great as all in one for acid/lead and with patch points so can also be part of system plus can also act as a midi to CV for a modular.

The great thing about Hydronium, like the tb303, is that it encourages expressivity rather than flat monophonic synth lines.

The designer Eric archer is a reliable name in synth diy for sure.
Last edited by Ayab on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:02 am

I bought the assembled non-euro version that looks like a pedal. It’s badass.

Not a 303 clone, but still very acidic. Extremely modular-friendly. Patch points everywhere..

When you’re using the MIDI-to-CV converter, the pitch CV output gets the same portamento as the onboard stuff. So if you’re using an external osc, it will perfectly match the glide..

And the insert point between the filter and the VCA lets you use obscenely noisy distortion or whatever your sick mind can think of. The VCA acts as a noise gate, so everything politely shuts up when the envelope closes - no matter what kind of roiling turd vortex you’re feeding it.

Highly recommended!

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:20 pm

I built one from the kit. It is a great acid box when paired with the right sequencer. I really like how accent can be positive or negative.

The DIY side of it is pretty straightforward, it was an afternoon build. The only tricky aspect is that the enclosure for the desktop module is very tight and you must be careful not keep components low otherwise it won't fit. For my particular build I had to get the tightness of the nut of the resonance potentiometer just right in order to avoid a short that caused the audio to cut out.

I also have a drone commander and grenadier. They all play very well together.

Ayab
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ayab » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:13 pm

Negative accent = three levels of expression! One more than the 303's added level. That is a really clever addition.

Maybe if possible best to solder all the non panel components first then fit the panel components (potentiometers and jacks) to the pcb *without soldering* and then attach the pcb to front half of the enclosure by tightening the jacks and pots as desired. Then solder them. Hope that makes sense.

tenma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tenma » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 am

I have put the DIY version together. I am really impressed with it. Eric made a quality synth dying to be tweaked. I made a mistake while building it which, through Eric's support (which was top class) sorted out. Very recommended.

drox
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Rare Waves Hydronium

Post by drox » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:26 pm

finished building mine recently. great guide and synth works as expected :)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”