DIY - 4ms - Spherical Wavetable Navigator ( SWN )

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

rafyc
Learning to Wiggle

Re: DIY - 4ms - Spherical Wavetable Navigator ( SWN )

Post by rafyc » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:14 pm

i've never solder so small components. I dont have the tools.
Do you think it's a good idea for a newbe ?

Where could i find the list of the components ?

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:20 pm

Thanks for the kind words! Bit of background - we did the first run (5 boards) to 1. learn how to do pcba boards as we’d never done it before and 2. For the challenge of trying to diy one.
The cost was pretty irrelevant - we did it for a bit of fun andreally weren’t that confident we’d get working modules - as we needed to think about the firmware, hardware substitutions and if we’d need to modify the fw for the hardware changes. Even though it’s a really cool module, I actually didnt really want one - I just wanted the fun of getting one up and running. (I do like it now, though :-) )
Just to be really clear - the licence is non-commercial. We had the blessing from Dan to do this - he was very supportive and helpful. We havent sold spare panels or spare pcbs - we’ve given our excess away. I strongly think there shouldnt be any commercial builds - it’s disrespectful to 4ms and really unfair, given their generosity in opening their designs! So, my view is - only make one if you’re not going to sell it and do it for fun! If you factor in your time and the risks of a failed/non-functioning build, the cost of a retail module is very good value! (In fact if you ignore your time and just look at the cost of parts and the risk, then buying a retail module is a no-brainer :-) )

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:25 pm

rafyc wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:14 pm
i've never solder so small components. I dont have the tools.
Do you think it's a good idea for a newbe ?

Where could i find the list of the components ?
No - if you think 0603 is small, then I’d suggest dont try this board! It’s very much not a board to learn on! Very expensive, easily damaged parts. Lots of components. You can find the list of components by exporting the list from Eagle. Plus you need to know how to program the module... Learn on easier builds would be my suggestion....
If you dont have the tools - you need to factor in - a power supply on the bench, temp controlled iron, solder, flux, hot air station to correct mistakes, multimeter, oscilloscope (you dont need one if you dont make a mistake - but essential for fault finding), function generator for debugging, magnification eg microscope, programmer to flash the module, tweezers, etc.. these will cost way more than a factory module...,

rafyc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rafyc » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:21 am

Hi,

yes you're right, i'll practice on cheap and smaller module.
this 4ms seems very interesting but out of money for me :foul:
Maybe a 2nd hand will show up one day.

Have a good day !

wtk
Common Wiggler

Post by wtk » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:48 am

dan from 4ms approved diy run, providing that nobody sells his one, so with respect to him i doubt you'll find completed diy unit to buy.

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:04 am

I have absolutely no intent to build that thing myself, simply because I can´t. But the position of 4ms as a company is giving them an into place on my shortlist. Good move, they will get some businnes from my side soon (not that it matters, I´m just an end user, but still...).
I´m happy when it rains - for if I´m not happy, it rains as well.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”