The (real) Jupiter 8 Clone

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

pixelforest
Common Wiggler

Post by pixelforest » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:45 am

JanneI wrote:Open Source Jupiter-8. This would probably have a huge following, both in hardware versions and firmware add-ons. IE. if someone could incorporate MPE/PolyAT for it, that would be huge! (Loving my Deckard's Dream&Kijimi).

I'm not sure if any skilled DIYer is willing to release all his/her hard work for free, but it would sure be interesting for the whole diy community and also for the commercial side.
open-sourcing the design doesn't preclude the designer from selling their work (see mutable instruments, etc open sourcing under CC-BY-SA) or from preventing other companies from offering the unchanged work commercially (see westlicht performer, which is CC-BY-NC-SA)

Open source is the best choice both for the community as a whole, the benefit of the project's future, and the nature of the source material.

roman_f
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roman_f » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:55 am

:party:

ACME
Learning to Wiggle

How does it sound?

Post by ACME » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:34 am

Here is a cover of one of my favourite songs from the 80s. All sounds come from the JP8. Kick, snare and hats from the computer. The fills between the passages are samples.

https://soundcloud.com/markus-malik-656374981

Without vocals:

https://soundcloud.com/markus-malik-656 ... ntalv5-jp8

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=ht ... "></iframe>
fck... the wordpress code doesn´t work...

Sparky
Common Wiggler

Post by Sparky » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:04 pm

wow! 8-)
Following this one!

Yellow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yellow » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:10 pm

Will the real Jupiter 8 clone please stand up?

:party:

DCDanno
Common Wiggler

Post by DCDanno » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:17 am

Wow, Markus! What an incredible amount of work. Is it just you doing all of this? Kudos

ultravox
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ultravox » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Hey ACME, any new updates that can be shared?

Cheers!
This means nothing to me... Oh, Vienna!

robertloud
Learning to Wiggle

Post by robertloud » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:51 pm

Amazing! I’m following this :)

Synthient Sound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Synthient Sound » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:05 pm

Impressive project!

martino_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by martino_ » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:19 am

Hi @Acme

Interested to know what you are planning with this one - small run production and retail sale?

If so - any indicative price?

boops
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boops » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:21 am

Im just discovered this...ENORME !
up
FS :custom buchla 203 style càbinet ,skiff new design,boat ,hardware for diy cabinet ,easel case ,new 1u to 10u to 56u and more. / New 208 buchla card 12 /
HQ small case buchla psu PCB
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 93#3118393
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

DesolationBlvd
Common Wiggler

Re: The (real) Jupiter 8 Clone

Post by DesolationBlvd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:48 pm

ACME wrote:For example, some owners can replace and upgrade the 12-bit Interface Board with a new 14-bit board. All logic ICs are built in as CMOS HCT or LS series. This saves a lot of current and ensures less heat.
The JP8 gets a MIDI interface. DCB is not supported because it is completely outdated.
I was just about to send my Jupiter-8 out to a tech for maintenance and MIDI installation.

This is the game-changer for me. Mine's a 12-bit model, so upgrading to 14-bit and getting MIDI out of the deal would greatly simplify things. How's the MIDI implementation?

I'd still be taking it to the tech for the maintenance issues.

ACME
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ACME » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:19 pm

Thank you for your interest. The Midi Interface is not ready yet.
Currently Note on /off and Midi CC work.

Program change and bi-timbral playing will still be available.

Currently I'm thinking about designing a completely new CPU board that combines all midi features and extended memory management. The board is then also open for future extensions like second LFO, more waveforms, aftertouch and possibly velocity. The current CPU can't do that and I can't customize the firmware.

I'm looking forward to more ideas.

Regards,
Markus

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:51 pm

Glad to hear you're still chomping away at this. Quite an impressive project you've got! :sb: :sb:

DesolationBlvd
Common Wiggler

Post by DesolationBlvd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:36 pm

Looks like I'm holding my breath, then. Unless the 14-bit interface and CPU board is something I can relatively plug-and-play, in which case I can skip MIDI installation when I take it in.

I'd love to have MIDI Out, even though the JP-8's keybed isn't velocity sensitive. Would be more useful for if the clone had a velocity/aftertouch keybed, though.

ACME
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ACME » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi guys,

if, and as far as I have noticed, the whole (or some?) Midi-Kits for the JP8 don't use the Roland firmware Eproms, but their own. Now my question: How do they differ whether it is the 12 or 14 bit version of the 8? The only difference is in a different DAC at the Interface Board. The CPU is not affected by changes.
According to the service manual, the 14 bit version only works with firmware versions 3.1 and 3.2.
How do they do that?

Regards,
Markus

UltraViolet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by UltraViolet » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:02 pm

This is a really interesting project. Z80s are still available, but are mostly pulls from old computers. Has anyone thought about combining the original analog electronics with a modern microcontroller in place of the Z80?

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:57 pm

UltraViolet wrote:This is a really interesting project. Z80s are still available, but are mostly pulls from old computers. Has anyone thought about combining the original analog electronics with a modern microcontroller in place of the Z80?
Still available new! Under £5 for a Z80C in DIP from Mouser.
One day I'll get an avatar!

ACME
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ACME » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:27 am

UltraViolet wrote:This is a really interesting project. Z80s are still available, but are mostly pulls from old computers. Has anyone thought about combining the original analog electronics with a modern microcontroller in place of the Z80?
That's exactly what my thoughts are. The Z80 forms a closed system in which no extensions are possible. A new CPU and - more importantly - new software can fix the issue. I'm working on it.

Markus
Last edited by ACME on Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACME
Learning to Wiggle

new ModuleBoards available

Post by ACME » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:05 pm

There's some news again. Here is the latest version of the ModuleBoard (V14). In V13 I made a little mistake. I had removed the last VCA control-current OTA and used the level modulation input of the envelope generator (ENVG8) instead. This is an issue for EG2, its output can also be switched for filter EG modulation. And now "Level" had an effect on the cut-off frequency... Stupid error...

Now everything is fixed, everything runs fine.
Currently there are 2 versions of the moduleboard. One with the silly AS3310 EG, one with digital EG. For comparison, I still have the original IR3R01. The envelope of the 3310 fits best to it. But they never run 100% parallel. But I'll bet that if you compare the 16 envelopes of the original, you'll also find differences. This also makes the sound less "static" (if you can say so at all with the 8).

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:59 pm

It's a thing of beauty!

sourceofuncertainty
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sourceofuncertainty » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:18 pm

Very cool project! I'm looking forward to seeing it come to life.

:yay:

ACME
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ACME » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Here are some sound demos
Demo 02 is a filter sweep, controlled by the envelope. Maximum attack (6S) and max decay (10s). You can hear max 4 voices, so nothing doubled.

https://soundcloud.com/markus-malik-656 ... nd-demo-02

And here a well-known baseline (4Voices) and a lead (mono Voice). It stretches a bit, but I play with the parameters during that time. Contains sync, PWM, different waveforms for OSC 2. The detune in the middle layer is achieved by X-Mod. Sequence runs via MIDI and consists of 3 audible layers. The effect chain consists of compressor, some delay and some reverb.

https://soundcloud.com/markus-malik-656 ... nd-demo-01

Another sound with Sync, X-Mod, Filtersweep

https://soundcloud.com/markus-malik-656 ... nd-demo-03

Markus

ACME
Learning to Wiggle

turning into a DIY JP8 - your suggestions

Post by ACME » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi guys,

Now that my Jupiter 8 project seems to be the only one that still exists, I'd like to ask you how we can implement it as a DIY project.
The size of the project is a major challenge here.
It's not just the boards. In addition there are many cable connectors, control elements, keyboard, case.

I could offer you SMD pre-assembled PCBs.
Or develop a desktop variant that is a bit easier to realize.
It would be helpful to find someone who would develop a new CPU for the extended desktop JP8 together with me.
We would also have to decide if this version should work with the IR3109 in the filters, or if new filters should be built with other OTA, e.g. 13700 or 3080. Then we won't talk about a Jupiter 8 any more, but that doesn't interest anyone nowadays anyway.

I am looking forward to useful suggestions ;-)

Best Ragards,
Markus

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:16 pm

My vote for a desktop console. Sourcing a Fatar and making it all work in a case is a big commitment. I've tried building metal keyboard cases, and it's a TON of work to make it fit right and still look nice.

On the desktop side of things, I'd love a PCB set. I'm ok with TH or SMD, but some people find SMD intimidating...and most PCB makers offer pick and place services for so little that it makes sense just in the time you save not sourcing the birdseed for it.

I'm no use on a CPU, but I am in the process of gearing up to have a small case production shop, and I might be able to provide very nice enclosures to complement the build...I should have full capabilities for steel, aluminum, acrylic, and wood.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Return to “Music Tech DIY”