Idiots Guide to Flashing Firmware?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Re: Idiots Guide to Flashing Firmware?

Post by Kelaifu » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:57 am

the_laconic wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:46 pm
FYI, I don't know whether you need a different programmer, but since I just built exactly the same thing, I'll tell you what worked for me: an ST-Link v2, using a Mac, and following the directions on the MI GitHub. You'd need a JTAG-SWD converter, which you can get for $5 from Digi-Key, and the wee SWD cable. It was so easy in the end, and (this isn't directed at you but) nobody should be thinking OMG I CAN'T COMMAND LINE, because there's very little you have to figure out for yourself.
Your advice is solid, I initially looked into flashing my plaits module and was absolutely bewildered by the info of compiling firmwares, booting virtual environments and the other bottomless pit of jargon I had no idea about. Turns out I just needed to find a precompiled hex and flash the chip with the standard chip programming software.

Now, I have my cable for peaks, gonna see if I can get this one flashed as easily as plaits.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Idiots Guide to Flashing Firmware?

Post by Bodo1967 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:45 am

the_laconic wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:41 pm
if you have a Mac and get the right programmer (I had originally written STLink-v2, but that's not the right one for Branches), I'll try to walk you through it.
Thanks a lot :tu: , but I am on W10. I do have an AVR ISP programmer though.
the_laconic wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:41 pm
Otherwise, you can always buy a flashed chip from Synthcube for about $25.

That's a) more than I'm willing to spend for this module (as in, not worth it), and b) I'm definitely not desoldering the Atmega chip and soldering in another one :lol:.

Someone in Germany sent me a how-to-do-it link for uploading a pre-compiled .elf file yesterday. I hadn't found that during several searches, dunno why :despair: .

I already installed the "Atmel Studio 7" which is apparently included in "Microchip Studio", and which also required installing "Microsoft Visual Studio". That was an awful lot to install for just one module. Well, I'll try the process described in the following link:

https://kg.kg/flashing-mutable-instruments-branches/

This document also contains a link to the Github repository that actually contains pre-compiled firmware (apparently not by MI but by someone who calls himself "Hadesbox"):

https://github.com/hadesbox/eurorack-with-binaries
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”