LZX Full Kits?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler

LZX Full Kits?

Post by gtrmstr53 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:00 pm

I'm thinking about getting a small-ish LZX analog video rack together, and was wondering if there's anyone putting together full kits for LZX's diy modules? I've seen pcb/panel sets at a lot of places, but is there anywhere I can buy the pcb/panel plus all the components I'd need? Parts sourcing is always my least favorite aspect of diy so I'm hoping I can pay someone to avoid all that.

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:27 pm

I can do that for you.

I have build LZX Cadet modules for people and sources components for my own and their modules.

If you need assistance with deciding what modules to choose, I can also help with that :)

PM me for details!

note: I have build quite a large DIY video system for myself. I started with a system 21 (pcb only) and expanded on that with full DIY modules (from schematics) and also my own projects. see here:

https://www.reverselandfill.org/category/diy/

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:05 pm

LZX don't sell them as kits, and as far as I know there's no one else selling LZX DIY modules as kits. (correction: FetidEye has you covered!)

Although sourcing parts for DIY modules can sometimes be a pain, one nice thing about the LZX DIY modules is that the BOMs have vendor name and part numbers for everything. Most stuff has Mouser part numbers so it's very easy to order those (just toss them into a spreadsheet and upload it to the Mouser site, basically). The parts that you can't get from Mouser are (for the most part) things you can easily get from most eurorack DIY stores, like Thonk or Modular Addict. A few of the modules require some Analog Devices chips that are often best to get from AD themselves by ordering samples (for free!).

The cost of some of the video-specific chips that the LZX stuff uses is probably why no one sells kits. The AD chips can be pretty pricey especially if you're ordering low quantities, so it'd be a lot of money to spend up front and then have sitting around tied up not doing anything until they sell.

And I believe LZX themselves have said they don't sell kits in order to keep their DIY support costs down, which makes sense to me. Kits cost time (a.k.a. money) to put together, and then dealing with kits that are missing parts or customers who lose/damage one of the parts from a kit is an added cost of support time, and potentially postage to replace parts.
Last edited by joem on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:26 pm

BTW, I highly recommend FetidEye's DIY video modules. They're very much like additional Cadet modules, a continuation of the line. While they're not official LZX products they're based on schematics from LZX, use a lot of the same common components and component values as LZX stuff, and Lars helped a bit in the design process (a fun history of which is on the LZX forum). And I believe they're sold in full kits, too, if you want, in addition to just PCB or just PCB/panel.

You'll still need some official LZX modules to use with them too, though... Bare minimum if you have no other LZX gear is the Cadet I and Cadet II.

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:26 pm

ha, thanks joem!

indeed , I sell full kits too.

Sourcing pars can be difficult. But I started as a noob once too (search the muffwiggler archives)
Everybody can learn this, but you might not enjoy it. And you will make mistakes. 400volt capacitors. hell yeah! 1watt resistors are bigger :p

The LZX BOM's have a few discontinued parts in them (although I have to check this with the newly downloaded BOM's from Github) that can be hard to replace if you are a beginner.
The LZX community forum can help you with this. there is even a thread about it :)

Note to joem: the LT1251 IC's are available from Mouser now. expensive though. Free samples are always better

Still, I offer you my service.

Sourcing parts take a lot of time and effort.

hdd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hdd » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:57 am

check lone vidiot creations too

http://lonevidiot.com/SolaChromatron.htm

Ayab
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ayab » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:34 am

Where is a good basic introduction to what is involved?

I read that vco's need to be much higher frequency than audio but what parts of an audio modular can be pressed into service for an explore of this fascinating area. A joystick module for crossfading?

I don't even know how the interface works.

Going to have a look at the video synthesis forum *Edit" I think this begins to answer by question about a basic system:

viewtopic.php?t=185961&sid=784c86a45284 ... 50630ef6d9

I haven't found a good introduction to the basics of how to do video synthesis yet.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:53 am

Try the library in the lzx community forum

Should be something there

Nb it might be a good idea to hold off for a while the lzx diy modules are going to be revamped next year...

Over 1/2 the cadet line is eol

Castle will stay - may get rev2

Visionary2 series will be released as factory and diy builds

Idea is to phase out 14 pin synth - new diy modules will be rca like the factory built modules
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:02 pm

Agawell wrote:Nb it might be a good idea to hold off for a while the lzx diy modules are going to be revamped next year...

Over 1/2 the cadet line is eol
I don't think this is actually a very big issue. Most of the Cadet modules will continue to work just fine with the revamped modules. Only the sync-dependent ones won't necessarily work without help, and it sounds like they're planning a DIY module that'll bridge the sync divide anyway.

Plus, Cadet/Castle stuff is available now. Lars has given rough estimates of when some of the upcoming stuff will be out (some of which are about a year out), but delays sometimes happen (though hopefully rarely with their renewed focus on reducing that). So if you want DIY video modules now, go with the Cadets/Castles! They're great!

Boofin Moonrocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Boofin Moonrocks » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:37 pm

If this is inappropriate I'll delete this, but I'll be putting up a complete collection of castle and cadet (multiples of several modules for full 3 color control) pcbs and panels at a heavy discount from what I paid for them in the for sale section soon.

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler

Re: LZX Full Kits?

Post by gtrmstr53 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:21 pm

Somehow I missed this in the holiday busy-ness, but thanks so much for the responses. I'll be reaching out to FetidEye soon!

Makaiya
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Makaiya » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:03 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong place but might anybody have a built LZX Cadet X Multiplier for sale? Almost got my vector rescanning system together. Just one more piece to go!

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:15 am

I have a cloned one without panel, if you are interested

Return to “Music Tech DIY”