midiphy LoopA

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: midiphy LoopA

Post by djthopa » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:07 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! Im think im going to order, mouser also has nearly all the parts.
Cheers!

latigid on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by latigid on » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:31 am

Great! The 2k2 THT resistors would ship in a few days or you probably have some in the parts drawer. Actually you could use any value (1k/4k7) as the pullups are for unused I2C ports. But probably a resistor should go in.

The right-angle tact switch has a long lead time. It's not needed for operation but you could replace it with a taller version, just the switch wouldn't be aligned with the panel cutout. Conrad apparently will have them in a few weeks if you use the EU part number PHAP3363.

Happy building!

Best,
Andy

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:08 am

Hey Andy!

Thanks for the reply :)
Yes those 2 are the components i was missing.
Thanks for the info.
Farnell has the switch, but the posting is ridiculous !

I wanted to ask you, i have been reading the manual, but could not come up with an answer, how many different cc can i have per clip?

Thanks a lot for your help and support!

latigid on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by latigid on » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:58 am

All good!
djthopa wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:08 am
I wanted to ask you, i have been reading the manual, but could not come up with an answer, how many different cc can i have per clip?
Presently there is only one CC per clip (track) as an "extra layer". This was already an add-on to the the original note looping :). There is a plan to allow more CC recording (and other data types) in the future.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:31 am

Thanks for the reply. Hmm just one cc per track might no do it for me unfortunately.
Thanks for your guidance and support!
cheers

Modulus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Modulus » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:44 pm

Hi Andy,
Got my Loopa and getting trained up on the ends and outs. One thing I'm having trouble with is slaving the tempo and sequencer start/stop to an external clock. My clock is coming in on IN1 port and I set it as such in the setup under MCLK IN -> DIN1. But Loopa acts like it is still the master clock and ignores the external clock. How is this accomplished?
Thanks for any ideas.

latigid on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by latigid on » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:18 am

Hello,

LoopA should follow any clock with the right settings, so I would first check that the clock is being sent? What device is it? Can you check for the clock bits in the MIDI monitor? Also try another clock source, try a DAW over USB MIDI etc.

Best,
Andy

Modulus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Modulus » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:14 am

latigid on wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:18 am
Hello,

LoopA should follow any clock with the right settings, so I would first check that the clock is being sent? What device is it? Can you check for the clock bits in the MIDI monitor? Also try another clock source, try a DAW over USB MIDI etc.

Best,
Andy
Thanks, you were right. Was a bad connection, I tried a different clock source and it worked ok. :doh:

latigid on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by latigid on » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:28 am

All good! :nana:

Modulus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Modulus » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:39 am

djthopa wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:31 am
Thanks for the reply. Hmm just one cc per track might no do it for me unfortunately.
Thanks for your guidance and support!
cheers
+1 would def be nice to have additional cc modulation lanes per track if somehow possible in the future :guinness:

TL072
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TL072 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:06 pm

Hey, since my prior comments on this threat I bought and built a LoopA. The Midiphy people (you are in this thread - thank you again) are very nice and were extremely patient in helping me debug a few stupid things that were a result of my own carelessness. I am really really enjoying using the LoopA. Several nice little tracks have already come together in the few weeks I have had it. It sits in a nice sweet spot between simplicity and limits, which keeps me focused on music and actually playing and jamming, but also flexibility. Another funny unexpected benefit: when I bought it, it had not occurred to me how useful it might be as a little midi router for several devices (even if the instruments are not being sequenced by the LoopA).

I am not sure if there is a better place than here to make feature requests? :) So my request I think would hopefully be pretty simple. It is just to be able to duplicate a pattern. So if I have a one bar loop, to be able to make a two bar loop of the one bar loop or a four bar from two. Although not having this I will become a better keyboard player which is probably a good thing, it would be a nice way to build up longer loops with variations if a pattern could first be duplicated and then for example overdub ornamentation played on top of it.

Anyway looking forward to future updates and learning to play this thing more - I have not yet even got around to using the midi controller tracks! :)

hawkeye
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hawkeye » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:13 am

Thanks for the praise, TL072, glad you like it! :)
TL072 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:06 pm
So my request I think would hopefully be pretty simple. It is just to be able to duplicate a pattern. So if I have a one bar loop, to be able to make a two bar loop of the one bar loop or a four bar from two.
Yes, this is already on the list - we're preparing a big new firmware update for the holiday time - can't promise this feature will make it into the upcoming v2.08, but if not, it will be in the next release. It will work like this: pushing and holding the SELECT encoder while duplicating the clip length on the CLIP screen will not only extend the length but also duplicate notes and recorded CCs.

Have a good day and best regards!
Peter

latigid on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by latigid on » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:40 pm

Loopop does LoopA:

pulecz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pulecz » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:15 pm

Damn, I thought I'm just gonna use some MIDI splitters but this seems way more interesting to merge all the gear together.

And I love it's DIY kit, can't wait to sober up for the decision and start building.
Behringer UMC404HD; ESI ESP1010
Behringer (:/) Neutron, Crave, TD-3
Novation Bass Station II, Sonic Potions LXR + Bastl Instruments 60 Knobs and OmSynth for fun (lost my Kastle)

PC with Windows and ESI ESP1010 PCI, VCVRack and Linux compatible Ardour and LMMS
Skills: None

latigid on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by latigid on » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:53 am

Hehe thanks!

Two points there: you have 16 slots and you can of course send multiple instances to a single port (one user asked if they could echo everything onto USB). And you have 32 user instruments with custom naming to easily identify synths connected to a given port and MIDI channel.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”