Glitch Storm: A DIY Bitranger-Bytebeasque-Chiptunethingo

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Re: Glitch Storm: A DIY Bitranger-Bytebeasque-Chiptunethingo

Post by Noodle Twister » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:27 pm

Thanks for the update. Changing the sample rate is now much smoother. Much appreciate your work on this.

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:17 am

I just received the PCB today, took me about 20 minutes to build. Excellent glitchy sounds, I like it!!!

I made a short demo while tweaking some knobs on one of the modes
Drums, Delay and Reverb added in Logic

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:08 pm

is it just me or it produces (in the more "melodic" modes) a C note which is offset by +25-30 cents ???
I have tested with some VST synth and I need to set it to - 25 to get it in tune with external stuff ;-)
how can I change the root note in code or compensate the difference?

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:45 pm

autodafe wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:17 am
I just received the PCB today, took me about 20 minutes to build. Excellent glitchy sounds, I like it!!!

I made a short demo while tweaking some knobs on one of the modes
Drums, Delay and Reverb added in Logic

Loving that jam. Better that any of mines... Im going to share it in the tindie store as demo.

Thanks for sharing!

Regarding the tuning, it uses powers of 2 tunings (16384hz) , so I "guess" is normally tuned to 432hz. You can probably change it hardcoding some other figure that will be in tune with 440hz (1698x?)but honestly I dont know exactly what is.

If somebody has the maths I can include it in the next firmware update

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:31 am

SphericalSound wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:45 pm

Regarding the tuning, it uses powers of 2 tunings (16384hz) , so I "guess" is normally tuned to 432hz. You can probably change it hardcoding some other figure that will be in tune with 440hz (1698x?)but honestly I dont know exactly what is.

If somebody has the maths I can include it in the next firmware update
OMG it's a conspiracy theories kinda thing, then !!! :sarcasm:

(so it's using what I believe it's called "scientific pitch"...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch)

Glad you like the demo, please use it as you want!

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Post by Noodle Twister » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Thanks for the last update. Changing the sample rate is now much smoother. Much appreciate your work on this.

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Post by Kelaifu » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:10 am

I'm a total noob with arduino, so please speak to me as you would a infant or a smart animal....I built this up on breadboard (minus the LEDs as I cant find any off hand) and tried to send the .ino file to my nano, which I think is the right thing to do from my noodling with arduino a year or so ago.

however i get a ton of compile errors, which makes me think I must be doing something very wrong! Could anyone give me a rough outline of what steps I should be doing to get this working? Ooh, I tried the .hex file with xloader but I got '0 bytes transfered' too

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Post by Kelaifu » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:15 am

Ok, so I figured out my noob error, got the correct code and sent it to the nano, then wrestled a few other issues, however, now I get :

In file included from C:\Users\KeLaiFu\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ArduinoSound\src/ArduinoSound.h:28:0,

from C:\Users\KeLaiFu\Documents\Arduino\sketch_aug20b\sketch_aug20b.ino:5:

C:\Users\KeLaiFu\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ArduinoSound\src/AmplitudeAnalyzer.h:25:10: fatal error: arm_math.h: No such file or directory

#include <arm_math.h>

^~~~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Nano.

I've tried a few googled suggestions, without any success,

Found the math.h file here:
https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/arm_math

Not sure if I successfully added the file, but the error is still the same.

So, anyone shed any light on this, I really wanna get that glitch storm storming!

what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by what gives? » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:29 am

Check this if you haven't already:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/guide/libraries

Also, it's possible that the arduino community can help you better with this type of issues.

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Post by Kelaifu » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:41 am

what gives? wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:29 am
Check this if you haven't already:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/guide/libraries

Also, it's possible that the arduino community can help you better with this type of issues.
Thanks for the input, yeah I have looked into libraries and found a lot of people with the same problem, but no solutions. I thought about posting on the arduino forums but I have noticed it doesnt seem a very forgiving place when it comes to noob questions, I'll certainly check for on there directly before I drop any questions myself.

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Post by Kelaifu » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 am

Here's my version, a few things to fix (no volume control) but its functional, so much fun too!

Will be on the look out for any similar projects.

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:30 pm

cool knobs!

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:50 am

Kelaifu wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 am

Here's my version, a few things to fix (no volume control) but its functional, so much fun too!

Will be on the look out for any similar projects.
What a beauty <3

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Post by Kelaifu » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:19 am

SphericalSound wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:50 am

What a beauty <3

thanks! And also a big thank you for letting this great project out into the wild for us to tinker with, this is a perfect intro to reading schematics and laying out strip board, especially as the end result is so much fun.

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:57 am

Kelaifu wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:19 am
SphericalSound wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:50 am

What a beauty <3

thanks! And also a big thank you for letting this great project out into the wild for us to tinker with, this is a perfect intro to reading schematics and laying out strip board, especially as the end result is so much fun.
Thanks for your words, yeah is so much fun indeed!

grm
Common Wiggler

Post by grm » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:41 am

hey everybody,

finally i build the GLITCHSTORM last night and wanted to show it to you here. it's build from the first batch of PCBs with cuts and wire bridges. great to see how this has developed. i have added a high and low end booster with gain control for a slight distortion to it, so i can shape the sounds a bit more out of the box.

• i am interested in the schematics of the gate-out mods, as i would like to try to implement them. could someone please draw it up or describe it very detailed here?
  • i also wonder where in the vers.0.99 code i can find the SAMPLE RATE code that needs to be un-commented to implement the 4th pot for controlling it, as it is mentioned earlier in this thread?

grm
Common Wiggler

Post by grm » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:47 pm

• i am interested in the schematics of the gate-out mods, as i would like to try to implement them. could someone please draw it up or describe it very detailed here?
  • i also wonder where in the vers.0.99 code i can find the SAMPLE RATE code that needs to be un-commented to implement the 4th pot for controlling it, as it is mentioned earlier in this thread?
ok, i guess i might have been able to figure out the answers to my questions on my own. :party:
  • the first quetion has been answered in here: just the +pins of the LEDs, right. have not tried it with my drum machine yet, though.
  • after drilling a hole for the 4th pot and un-commenting the right lines in the code, i've figured that the SAMPLE RATE can now be changed in a long button press subroutine. :doh: i anyway put in the pot, it's smoother, as often the programs jump when press the buttons - long or short.
would it be possible to find a way to build a clock in, so that the gate outs of one device could be used to sync with another? wouldn't that be fantastic? :love:

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:48 am

Yeah, it seems you know what you are doing. Yepp, to get the gate synch out you put the machine in gate synch mode and use the leds as gates.

If you are willing to tweak more the code, you could do the 4th pot just for the rate, but as you see, you can change rate now with the longpress.

I have some new equations to test from an user. If anyone want to try it seems promising:

Code: Select all

Clásics
// t<<1&t>>3
// t<<3|t>>7
// t<<2^t>>4

Octave sequencer
// t<<(t>>7&7^7)

In this cases there is 3 params as in &X^X it is used the same twice
// t<<(t>>10&3^3)&128
// t<<(t>>10&3^3)|31
// t<<(t>>10&3^3)^77
// t<<(t>>10&3^3)^t>>7
// t<<(t>>7&7^7)&t>>5
// t<<(t>>11&3^3)|t>>2

Four parameters here
// t<<(t>>3&t>>6&15^6)

Nice soundding,
// t>>(t<<2>>4&60)&128 
Same with 3 params
// t>>(t>>4&60)&128
And 
// t>>(t<<2>>4&60)

grm
Common Wiggler

Post by grm » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:53 pm

SphericalSound wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:48 am
to get the gate synch out you put the machine in gate synch mode and use the leds as gates.
before i unpack the whole thing from it's enclosure just to measure how the voltage of the gate signals before the LED resistors (sorry can't do math!),
i rather ask here: WHAT IS THE GATE SIGNALS VOLTAGE directly at the arduino's pin-outs for the LEDS?

i have wired my jacks in paralell to the LEDS and the gate-signals are around 3V at the sockets now. with those signals the CLOCK IN of my LXR drum synth does not work, i think that requires 5V. or am i doing something wrong here?

here's the same box as above, but with added gate-outs and rate control:

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:20 am

The arduino pins gives around 5v, but the leds eat near 2volts, so you get only 3V gates.

You can easily buffer it with NPN transistors. So the Base of the tran goes to the led output. Emitter to 5-10v and collector get the amplified 5-10v gate outs.

2n3904 should work nicely or pretty much whatever NPN

Your build is awesome, by the way. Can you show the schematic of the bass/treble?

Finally, I find it sound better without the 100nf cap, so all the new glitchstorms ship without it. It sounds more raw and ballsy, you can tame it with a filter later if you prefer

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:56 pm

I changed SAMPLE_RATE on one of my GlitchStorm :

Code: Select all

int SAMPLE_RATE = 16784;
this way it's more in tune with a "standard" C of 261.6 Hz (it should be at 261Hz for a 440Hz tuning) so I can play other synths on top of it

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:29 pm

I have added a CV input, by simply wiring a 3.5mm jack on the first potentiometer so I can send CV signals to it. It works!
Now In plan to add CVinputs for each parameter and possibly clock in/out ;-)

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:46 pm

I have added PERMANENT clock out, taking the 5V directly from one of the free pins (Pin6)
This requires a little hardware hack (as simple as a jack connected to digital Pin6) and some software tweaks to get the 5V on pin6
I'll double check the code and publish the hack as soon as I debug it 100% ;-)

So far it's working great with both my LXR Drum Machine and the Volcas...
quick demo with the LXR:
www.autodafe.net/tmp/glitch_tempo_sync.mp3

taper
1-Post Wiggler

Post by taper » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:14 am

SphericalSound, thanks so much for open-sourcing the design on this. I just put one together on stripboard -- I do want to order a PCB once you've got them back on Tindie -- and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm mostly going to mention the mods I've made.

Image Image

(The top-side wiring is a mess, since I didn't plan it out at all well; I'm intending to sandwich the thing between two layers of acrylic, hiding the sins. I'll probably lasercut them at my local makerspace, and add some text or graphics to the faceplate -- not sure yet. I also need to find three matching knobs for the tiny 2.5k pots I'm using; at the moment the C pot has an obviously different knob.)

I'm particularly glad you made the program display the way you did -- it let me drop a TIL311 in to replace the four LEDs, giving me a nice little hexadecimal readout. The chip is a vintage display made by Texas Instruments back in the '70s and '80s, and they go for around $10 each on the surplus market, but I had a few laying around, so I figured this was a good chance. There's extra logic in the chip for blanking (if you've got a line of 'em and want leading zeroes suppressed) and latching (if your lines change slowly enough that you want to not display a new character until you're really ready), but if you don't need those, you can just put four bits of parallel data into the A, B, C, D pins and get 0-F on the little LED matrix. (The related TIL308 and TIL309 did just 0-9, but they're even more rare, so that's okay. HP and some other places made similar chip/displays which would actually take 7-bit ascii for full alphanumeric displays -- but I'm rambling.)

The third button, over on the middle right, is a hack I added riffing on the long-press sample-rate and reversal time adjustments; pressing it just resets each of those to the default, so I could jump back to normal rates without rebooting the whole thing. It's particularly fun with the next bit.

Not shown, because I just bodged it in after reading autodafe's post above, is a second jack below the output jack that's a dedicated gate. (I put mine on pin 5 purely because that's the stripboard line that was easy to get to.) I've been experimenting with this to drive the sequencer on my Minibrute 2S, which makes for all kinds of wildness; the volume level fits in nicely with the internal oscillators on there, so it's well-shaped by the filter, and using the 2S sequencer's three tracks of sequenced voltage control can yield some really intricate modulations.

I did put in the RC filter coming out of pin 11; I'm debating keeping it, or possibly making it switchable. (I have some tiny plunger switches meant to drop-in as replacements for pin header jumpers, so that's what I'd be using to ground or lift the cap.)

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:49 am

Yeah, loving your mods guys. Deffo it pays to opensource all. Please keep updating your experiments.

Would love to hear that minibrute vs glitch storm thing. If you are going to put the RC filter, better do it switchable, to my taste it sounds better without it

Return to “Music Tech DIY”