The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by sduck » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:42 am

Go!

I'm not sure if this really qualifies, as technically it was still like 11:30 or so when I finished this here in CST, but it was probably 2020 somewhere. And it's not really done, just finished another 3 voice cards for the Kijimi (only 3 to go!)
DSC07994-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by cackland » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:44 pm

:sb:

a.dighera
Learning to Wiggle

Post by a.dighera » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:00 pm

Ive been working on getting a small rack of modules back in working order, today i finished rewiring and fabricating a faceplate for an old CGS52 wave folder. Face plate was laser cut. Pretty happy with the result!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:09 am

Man, that Lockhart Wave Folder is a nasty one. Enjoy the crunch.

I’ll wrap up my Buchla Format Klee Sequencer (Zthee / The Human Comparator design) today or tomorrow. The Alps faders got here on the 23rd of Dec after 3 months of delay and a disappearance by the seller. I managed to get refunded by ebay and then purchased again via another source. It’s pretty much: faders, last LEDs, assemble then calibrate. And on to the ModularGrid shuffle. I really don’t wish to migrate things to my 10-space Skylab case but I’ll be 2 panel spaces over this case’s capacity once the Klee is finished. I’d like it to fit in toward the bottom of the case but haven’t figured this out yet. Optimally, all sequencers would be toward the lower part of the case but I don't see a way to make this work out given the utility of the Preset Management system and rear panel I/O features.
KleeBuchlaPanel.JPG
KleeBuchlaBoards.JPG
Next will be the [url=https://northernlightmodular.com/product-category/h-series] Northern Light Modular[/url] hOC & h8B 1/2 space modules. Mouser stuff came in, Thonk arrived one day later, & picked up the NLM panels and PCBs from the post yesterday. I'll only be able to house one of these at a time and am primarily interested in the hOC (Ornament & Crime adjusted for Buchla). The h8B looks like too much fun though. Had to build one. [attachment=2]MouserNorthernThonk.JPG

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:25 am

sduck wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:42 am
And it's not really done, just finished another 3 voice cards for the Kijimi (only 3 to go!)
Oof! Had to google Kijimi - looks like a monster!

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:24 pm

sduck wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:42 am
Go!

I'm not sure if this really qualifies, as technically it was still like 11:30 or so when I finished this here in CST, but it was probably 2020 somewhere. And it's not really done, just finished another 3 voice cards for the Kijimi (only 3 to go!)
DSC07994-2.jpg
Hell, THAT qualifies! The Statistical Density (also known as Excentrifugal Forz ) itself is amazing.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:08 pm

IMG_0312a.JPG
OK. So I did three on New Years Day (amazing what one can do if left to their own devices with nobody causing distractions).

First up: The NLC Envelope Follower:

This one was more of a "Building out of Boredom" thing at first but I bet I'll use it often. Has very nice response and input gain from my quick first tests.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:36 pm

Second one for New Year.... Horstronic Arcade
IMG_0293 (2).JPG

This one is to complete my 48hp Pods Controller project where it will reside with the Intellijell Planar2, Tetrapad and Tete.
BTW if anyone is building one of these in the US and needs a source for the Sanwa OBSF-24 Snap In Arcade Button I highly recommend Paradise Arcade Shop in Minneapolis, Mn as a source. I built this from Synthcube full DIY kit but wasn't happy with the all white button provided. Paradise Arcade provided the one with the look I wanted within two days. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:06 am

IMG_0307.JPG
Third one for New Year's Day..... NLC Balter Dual Gate Delay

Like this one OK but wish it would maintain a gate high OUT even after the gate IN goes low. My bad that I didn't look into the full details of this one before buying. It is a gate delay as long as the input gate is on. It's a quirk but doesn't render it unusable at all it just wasn't what I was expecting. Maybe someone can show me a use-case scenario where this could be used to an advantage. If not I'm sure I'll figure out one of my own eventually.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:08 pm

Kent wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:09 am
I’ll wrap up my Buchla Format Klee Sequencer (Zthee / The Human Comparator design) today or tomorrow. (...) And on to the ModularGrid shuffle.
The Klee Seq for the buchla looks great. I always liked the design of this module, but never had one.
I checked your ModularGrid shuffle and smiled when I saw how the "SCROTU..." reverb looks like in the rack. Giant :party:
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:15 pm

batchas wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:08 pm
I checked your ModularGrid shuffle and smiled when I saw how the "SCROTU..." reverb looks like in the rack. Giant :party:
Ha! Yeah. I did that years ago. I don’t recall as to when. It is actually a place-holder for a tag-team effort of Djanosfire, Epinasty & me. It is a combo SynthTech Delay and MOTM Spring Reverb in one panel with the reverb tank external to the Buchla case.

I should update ModularGrid with this:
CE2AAE84-512A-4355-821F-FFB1F2EF3890.jpeg

cartertools
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cartertools » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:45 pm

2/3rds of a Yusynth Clock Divider. Went together pretty quickly in spite of several cognitive errors. Had to add a 100nF cap on each of the outputs to tame some weird periodic spikes.
yudiv8.jpg
yudiv7.jpg
yudiv9.jpg
yudiv01.jpg

thealienthing
Common Wiggler

Post by thealienthing » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:15 pm

Nice builds! I'm just getting started but hoping to show some of my little creations. So far just made a synthrotek Echo and am in the middle of trouble shooting a division 6 dual sequencer.

gaslampmusehog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gaslampmusehog » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:56 am

Kent wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:09 am
Man, that Lockhart Wave Folder is a nasty one. Enjoy the crunch.

I’ll wrap up my Buchla Format Klee Sequencer (Zthee / The Human Comparator design) today or tomorrow. The Alps faders got here on the 23rd of Dec after 3 months of delay and a disappearance by the seller. I managed to get refunded by ebay and then purchased again via another source. It’s pretty much: faders, last LEDs, assemble then calibrate. And on to the ModularGrid shuffle. I really don’t wish to migrate things to my 10-space Skylab case but I’ll be 2 panel spaces over this case’s capacity once the Klee is finished. I’d like it to fit in toward the bottom of the case but haven’t figured this out yet. Optimally, all sequencers would be toward the lower part of the case but I don't see a way to make this work out given the utility of the Preset Management system and rear panel I/O features.

KleeBuchlaPanel.JPGKleeBuchlaBoards.JPG

Next will be the Northern Light Modular hOC & h8B 1/2 space modules. Mouser stuff came in, Thonk arrived one day later, & picked up the NLM panels and PCBs from the post yesterday. I'll only be able to house one of these at a time and am primarily interested in the hOC (Ornament & Crime adjusted for Buchla). The h8B looks like too much fun though. Had to build one.
[attachment=2]MouserNorthernThonk.JPG
Are you aware/ do you have the corrections to the PCB per zthee?
Also, I’ve wanted to add the module to my modular grid layout since before the boards became available. Is it a private module? I’ve never found the art in modular grid and have been using a 296 as a substitute for years.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:45 am

This should take you directly to the module. It isn’t private.
I’m in contact with Mr. Zthee and I have the errata doc. Thanks for looking out for a fellow Wiggler.
Can you show your Klee? Do you have any videos or tracks?

dot matrix madness
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dot matrix madness » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:01 am

YuSynth Wavefolder (basically J.Haible's wavefolder combined with a VCA).
Spices up a base drum (TR990)!
DIY_YuSynth_Wavefolder_1l.JPG
DIY_YuSynth_Wavefolder_2l.JPG
Still in the pipeline as it requires some changes in the circuit:
TR990 HiHat with separate triggers inputs for open and closed HiHat
DIY_TR990_HiHat_1.JPG
Licenced to solder since 1993

stoiker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stoiker » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:12 pm

Utilty module (Attenuverter/Offset/Mixer) based on Fonitronik Cascde. First three channels unity gain, last channel 2x gain. Started it last year, finished today.

Last edited by stoiker on Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:24 am

Phitar wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:06 am

Third one for New Year's Day..... NLC Balter Dual Gate Delay

Like this one OK but wish it would maintain a gate high OUT even after the gate IN goes low. My bad that I didn't look into the full details of this one before buying. It is a gate delay as long as the input gate is on. It's a quirk but doesn't render it unusable at all it just wasn't what I was expecting. Maybe someone can show me a use-case scenario where this could be used to an advantage. If not I'm sure I'll figure out one of my own eventually.
i would be frustrated with this too and it’s the reason i don’t build one. but then i checked out the Oakley and it too has this behavior. made me wonder if any gate delay will hold that gate after the original is off.

bonzai
Common Wiggler

Post by bonzai » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:34 pm

I finally finished my little Gameport Joystick adapter that was sitting on the bench for the last half year, and after fixing some d'ohs during PCB design (think I'll never become even half good at it) it actually works! :)
Another working, but otherwise useless device saved from the junkyard. :D

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:47 pm

Frequency Central Klang Stadt, 5U version:
01IMGP3580.jpg
01IMGP3581.jpg
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

dot matrix madness
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dot matrix madness » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:14 am

:tu: Nice! A further extension would be to use the joystick push buttons as gates or triggers.
(see Ken Stone's CGS69 or Fonik's Baby 10 Sequencer for corresponding "gate to trigger" circuits)
bonzai wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:34 pm
I finally finished my little Gameport Joystick adapter that was sitting on the bench for the last half year, and after fixing some d'ohs during PCB design (think I'll never become even half good at it) it actually works! :)
Licenced to solder since 1993

bonzai
Common Wiggler

Post by bonzai » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:47 pm

Hi!

Pushbuttons: that's what T1 and T2 are for, they send out 5V gates... :mrgreen: (X and Y are -5/0/+5)
I was also thinking of adding attenuverters and supporting T3 and T4 (ie Joystick 2), but maybe in a later revision, just wanted to finish that thing to get it off the breadboard.
The Gate2Trig: yepp, I actually have that separately in a 2HP module (in fact I built that for the Baby10, which I also have in the rack), quite useful and a really quick build!

Cheers!
bonzai
dot matrix madness wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:14 am
:tu: Nice! A further extension would be to use the joystick push buttons as gates or triggers.
(see Ken Stone's CGS69 or Fonik's Baby 10 Sequencer for corresponding "gate to trigger" circuits)
bonzai wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:34 pm

beautyofdecay_
no maps for this area

Post by beautyofdecay_ » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:04 am

Finished my 5U version of the DivKid Mutes today.

divkid-mutes-5U.jpg
It works great on +/-15V but there is some signal bleed when the switch if in the off position. Probably has to do with the vactrols. Anybody know if the schematics are available?

Also finished my 5U version of the Music Thing Modular Microphonie 2 weeks ago...

Music-Thing-Modular-Microphonie-5U.jpg
This module works great on +/-15V without modifications.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:41 pm

I’m a fucking naive idiot. Just getting to this pet tool as long as everything before it!
P.S. don’t break your fucking toes and then go for a long day out.
6B12EB5A-B7DC-4BA6-9FD1-E311F76A4A3E.jpeg

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:46 pm

beautyofdecay_ wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:04 am
Finished my 5U version of the DivKid Mutes today.

divkid-mutes-5U.jpg

It works great on +/-15V but there is some signal bleed when the switch if in the off position. Probably has to do with the vactrols. Anybody know if the schematics are available?

Also finished my 5U version of the Music Thing Modular Microphonie 2 weeks ago...

Music-Thing-Modular-Microphonie-5U.jpg

This module works great on +/-15V without modifications.
Nice. What did you base your design on if you didn't have the divKid mutes schematic? I couldn't find it either.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”