The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Re: The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by synkrotron » Fri May 29, 2020 12:26 pm

wackelpeter wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:32 am
Some kind of expansion for my crappy modular synth lab.
Interesting, in that it is a bunch of stuff on one large panel.

I was thinking along the same lines myself. I have two 42HP blank panels that came with my Doepfer system when I bought it. I thought it would be easier to lay out some utilities around the one big panel rather than chopping it up into smaller bits and probably making a bigger hash of it. I may still do that yet.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Fri May 29, 2020 12:33 pm

latrohexus wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:37 am
That looks awesome, the Mad Max aesthetic definitely works for it.
I started on some blank aluminum panels a couple weeks ago that came with my case as placeholders, and just packed as much stuff into them as I could. My first project was a passive mult that I since upgraded to buffered (with a bonus attenuator that I turned into a deadbug amp for bumping line signals up to modular level), you can see how much the holes wandered:

atts.png

A drill press is definitely the ideal way to go, but not having one I found that I have the best luck hand drilling if I mark the point and then drill nearly all the way through with a much smaller bit, and then finish with the final size. The small bit seems to wander less, and gives the point of the larger drill a precise path of least resistance. Sharp bits wander less, too, since they tend to walk around when one edge is duller than the other. That method worked a lot better on my next project, the 4x passive attenuator, though they're still not perfect. I also switched up the wiring method and colors after the first (log) one, so I'll just be annoyed by the inconsistency forever because I'm not going to re-do something that already works.

atts2.png
Nice ideas :)

Yeah, holes do wander a bit. I sometimes can't tell if I am centre punching in the right place, so it's too late once that is done. Unless it is so far off of course.

I agree... Sharper Drill = Better. But if we're not ardent DIY-er's then we end up having to make do with what we have.

Wiring is out of sight anyway, so I don't bother too much about that. I did happen to use the same colour wires in that one just above but on the easier projects, like that attenuator, I sometimes use what ever I have around.

cheers

andy

wackelpeter
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wackelpeter » Fri May 29, 2020 1:00 pm

synkrotron wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:26 pm
wackelpeter wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:32 am
Some kind of expansion for my crappy modular synth lab.
Interesting, in that it is a bunch of stuff on one large panel.

I was thinking along the same lines myself. I have two 42HP blank panels that came with my Doepfer system when I bought it. I thought it would be easier to lay out some utilities around the one big panel rather than chopping it up into smaller bits and probably making a bigger hash of it. I may still do that yet.
Normally i would have cut down the panel too, but in this case i also had those big blank panels laying around and also it was a choice due to lack of space... I usually hate these big panels, as servicing is a PITA and drilling and "planning" can easily go wrong and you may end up with one of those big mistakes in form of a dysfunctional panel.
Underneath i have packed my stripboards and the small wall wart PSU... i could have wasted some space more efficiently by omitting these G to T converters, but that was the only small circuit i had some space for on some edges of the stripboard and i also like to have mixers, VCA's and other utilities being spread over different places in my system to avoid long cable routing and the occassional rats nests (with which i end up anyway).

nigel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nigel » Fri May 29, 2020 8:33 pm

synkrotron wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:33 pm
Yeah, holes do wander a bit. I sometimes can't tell if I am centre punching in the right place, so it's too late once that is done. Unless it is so far off of course.
I think if you put your centre punch into the same dent, tilt it and re-punch, you can (sometimes?) "nudge" the dent into the right spot. Not ideal, but it helps.

gnsk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gnsk » Fri May 29, 2020 10:19 pm

Befaco "joystick"

* one more gate
* Epoxy Copper plate panel
* removed the joystick spring
enjoystique-vorne.jpg
enjoystique-dorsal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sat May 30, 2020 12:05 pm

GrantB wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 am
Built something with vactrols this time! (more 500)

IMG_3988.jpg
IMG_3987.jpg
All your 500 builds look amazing :sb:
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sat May 30, 2020 1:04 pm

batchas wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:05 pm
GrantB wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 am
Built something with vactrols this time! (more 500)

IMG_3988.jpg
IMG_3987.jpg
All your 500 builds look amazing :sb:
Thanks, it's easy to have good results with all these high-quality kits.

Revok
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Revok » Sat May 30, 2020 1:09 pm

GrantB, what rack are you using for these? I'm always tempted to build some 500 stuff but it usually falls apart when it gets to looking into cases.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sat May 30, 2020 3:02 pm

Revok wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:09 pm
GrantB, what rack are you using for these? I'm always tempted to build some 500 stuff but it usually falls apart when it gets to looking into cases.
I'm using the CAPI 511-VPR filtered rack kits, one XLR version currently on my desk and one DB25 version in my rack hooked up to the patchbay. Both are powered by the CAPI line lump style switching supplies, but these can be replaced with the CAPI floor box linear supply if you want to build that. I can't recommend these racks enough. They don't have a bunch of features and frills, but they're absolute tanks made with thick gauge steel and fit together perfect. You can not beat the price per slot, and there's no funky power or fit problems like some people have reported with the cheap Chinese racks.

Here are some pics. 2 racks, 17 modules, 19 DOAs and a bunch of cables completed since the Covid-19 stay at home order! :sb:
IMG_4002.jpg
IMG_4001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Sun May 31, 2020 2:35 am

nigel wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:33 pm
I think if you put your centre punch into the same dent, tilt it and re-punch, you can (sometimes?) "nudge" the dent into the right spot. Not ideal, but it helps.
Yes, I think you're right. Kind of a knack to that, though, of course. A skill that comes over time. So I very much have to get it right first time :)

beautyofdecay_
no maps for this area

Post by beautyofdecay_ » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:43 am

Finished the Prok Drums in MOTM format. I designed a custom front panel to use most of the original front panel layout so I did not need any custom brackets to attach the PCB.
prokdrums-01.jpg
The modules work without change on +/- 15V.
However, the voltage regulator used in the standard version is the REG1117-5 which has a max input voltage rating of +15V. So, to be sure, I replaced the REG1117 with NCP1117ST50 (Mouser 863-NCP1117ST50T3G) which has a max input voltage rating of +20V.

Here an overview of the 4 modules connected to my 5U version of Mutable Instruments Grids.
prokdrums-02.jpg

twigathy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by twigathy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:17 pm

Something simple - a janky as hell little module for doing lo-fi delays/echoes, based on a board from Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296275 ... 19d2acEqQ6 . I believe there have been several other people that have used this very same board to do something similar.

This is my second ever module and it's certainly not without many flaws.
-Bottom jack doesn't fit, too close to the bottom rail. Could fix with a very low profile/small panel mounted socket rather than a hacked up thonkiconn, or just drop the second jack if I ever do another run of the front panels.
-Top 4 controls are all mislabelled (I got them back to front somehow)
-Must use stereo 6.3mm to 3.5mm adaptors with mono cables for the inputs. Mono jacks or adaptors result in a lot of noise. I don't really know why. One channel of the jack puts out a few volts(!)

Regardless it's pretty fun for a cheap, Lo-Fi device. Sweeping the delay time as something makes sound results in some pretty interesting noises...
echo-resized - cropped.png

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:44 pm

I've never built any guitar pedals before. Which is odd, as I'm a major pedal collector. So I decided to look around, see if i could find any easy peasy kits or whatever, and found the Build Your Own Clone website, and proceeded to purchase a kit. It arrived quickly, and very soon afterwards was converted into this monstrosity -
_DSC1460-2.jpg
_DSC1463-2.jpg
_DSC1465-2.jpg
The labels - while cleaning out my deceased mothers house a few years ago, I found a wadded up bag, which upon further investigation contained a Dymo Astro labelmaker that she had bought back in the 60's, when I was a kid. There were also a ton of tapes in all colors for the thing in the bag. So these labels are printed on 50 year old tapes!
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

SlightlyNasty
Common Wiggler

Post by SlightlyNasty » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:11 pm

What a coincidence - I literally spent the weekend designing a phaser pedal for myself. That looks fantastic!

I also ended up with a swag of old Dymo tapes when we cleared out my late Grandfather's place a few years ago that end up on my pedal builds as well, all those cool matte finish tapes that seem to be unavailable nowadays. Does the glue still work on your ones? I find I usually need to add a spot of superglue to help them stay put.
www.slightlynasty.com - 4U DIY Modules for the Loudest Warning format

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:24 pm

jeez, it’s been a while since i’ve built something!

picked up a pair of these kits from modular addict
B9EC0A7F-712F-4682-9857-E9FBD9E1C00F.jpeg
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:51 pm

I just finished my Sketchy Labs FREQUENCY SHIFTER in 2U (MOTM format). I even posted a couple of videos on my thread Something New from Doc Sketchy if you're interested in that sort of thing. Here's a pic:
FreqShiftFront.jpeg
We've moved fast, we need love; a part we offer is our only freedom

TheManicMagician
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheManicMagician » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:29 am

mome rath wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:24 pm

Looks good! Curious as to how you thought the ES75 went together. I have been eyeing them on modularaddict but am still fairly new to the diy game (just did my first couple builds last week) and the relative lack of instructions in the build guide paired with the 4 pcb layout scares me a little bit. I've gathered that standard fare is usually diodes -> resistors -> capacitors -> IC's -> panel/jacks but something about the layout of that kit seems a little beyond my ability right now. Doesn't help that the case is almost full!

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:59 am

sduck wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:44 pm
I've never built any guitar pedals before. Which is odd, as I'm a major pedal collector. So I decided to look around, see if i could find any easy peasy kits or whatever, and found the Build Your Own Clone website, and proceeded to purchase a kit. It arrived quickly, and very soon afterwards was converted into this monstrosity -

_DSC1460-2.jpg
_DSC1463-2.jpg
_DSC1465-2.jpg

The labels - while cleaning out my deceased mothers house a few years ago, I found a wadded up bag, which upon further investigation contained a Dymo Astro labelmaker that she had bought back in the 60's, when I was a kid. There were also a ton of tapes in all colors for the thing in the bag. So these labels are printed on 50 year old tapes!
That is awesome. I love dymo but never had those colors. :sb:

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:08 am

SlightlyNasty wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:11 pm
Does the glue still work on your ones? I find I usually need to add a spot of superglue to help them stay put.
Most work, some don't. Superglue!
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:54 pm

TheManicMagician wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:29 am
mome rath wrote:

Looks good! Curious as to how you thought the ES75 went together. I have been eyeing them on modularaddict but am still fairly new to the diy game (just did my first couple builds last week) and the relative lack of instructions in the build guide paired with the 4 pcb layout scares me a little bit. I've gathered that standard fare is usually diodes -> resistors -> capacitors -> IC's -> panel/jacks but something about the layout of that kit seems a little beyond my ability right now. Doesn't help that the case is almost full!
I had to go back and redo some connectors. The build guide (to be fair it's only a BOM) isn't very clear about the way the headers and aux boards for the LED and CV input for "both" are supposed to go on

Other than that it was a very easy build. It took me about an evening and I'm pretty slow

If you need pictures I can take some and send them to you
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

TheManicMagician
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheManicMagician » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:25 pm

mome rath wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:54 pm
TheManicMagician wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:29 am
mome rath wrote:

I had to go back and redo some connectors. The build guide (to be fair it's only a BOM) isn't very clear about the way the headers and aux boards for the LED and CV input for "both" are supposed to go on

Other than that it was a very easy build. It took me about an evening and I'm pretty slow

If you need pictures I can take some and send them to you
Thanks for the feedback! I'm probably gonna hold off for now and do some simpler projects first and then go from there. Baby steps!

Cheers!

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:09 pm

This is a dual comparator triggered sample & hold circuit.
I initially hadn't realized there were two channels on one PCB,
so I used a recycled panel to expand the unit forcing a different interface layout
and different jacks for the second channel.

Both channels are fully functional the first time I turned it on ^_^.

DSC_0014.JPG
Last edited by Cat-A-Tonic on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:19 pm

Keeping the Frac theme going, here's my SSI2144 based VCF, built round one of the Electrosmith sub modules.
IMG_20200530_145926689_compress12.jpg

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:27 pm

Frac! Those are great. I want to play too. I just finished this up yesterday. 3 manhattan analog cp3 mixers...
DSCF1994.jpg
DSCF2004.jpg
:zombie:

gnsk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gnsk » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:50 am

"Licht-H-Aus"
CV mixer via light

* RGB color mix from each input
* mixed color to Voltage out via LDR
* (CV1 -> Red, + CV2 -> Green, + CV3 -> Blue ) -> RGB LED -> LDR -> Voltage (two variants)
* each CV in -> buffered mult out
* 3HP

licht-h-aus-vorne.jpg
licht-h-aus-dorsal.jpg

Return to “Music Tech DIY”