The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

forrest
Learning to Wiggle

Re: The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by forrest » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:51 pm

Reese P. Dubin wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:33 pm
Do you by chance have a non eagle doc for the parts layout?
Thanks!

I just used eagle for the parts placement, download it then click on the parts to find them :party:

I've talked to him about another version, there are a few ways it could be changed, 0805 for one, even with a magnifying lamp my eyes hate 0603. And the solder pads for the electrolytics are too small making them extra difficult to get right. Anyway good luck!

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:36 am

Reese P. Dubin wrote:
forrest wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:22 pm
My first build from gerbers using eagle to figure out what I needed and where it went. Also my first panel design / manufacture, both from JLCPCB. It's a forestcaver SMD Benjolin. Got the labeling mixed up on the SQR/TRI outputs and would back the copper layer off a little bit under the mask next time, lots of lessons learned all around.

IMG_3192.jpeg
Do you by chance have a non eagle doc for the parts layout? I have a few of these forestcaver PCBs. I forget where they came from and the silk is illegible in a number of zones. i really want to build them but am kind of stuck ATM.

looks awesome!
You can export an image or pdf from eagle (or if you dont have eagle and cant install it pm me and I’ll send you one). I build with eagle open - I just find it much easier to check parts and values as I build on a large screen that I can zoom and click! I also solder under a stereo microscope so text size isnt important to me. For my personal builds I prefer a very minimal silkscreen as I find it less confusing..... If people want more info on it, or larger text, it’s really easy to create different gerbers in eagle as all the files are there (it’s just selecting one extra layer in the gerber creation tool)....

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:44 am

forrest wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:51 pm
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
Do you by chance have a non eagle doc for the parts layout?
Thanks!

I just used eagle for the parts placement, download it then click on the parts to find them :party:

I've talked to him about another version, there are a few ways it could be changed, 0805 for one, even with a magnifying lamp my eyes hate 0603. And the solder pads for the electrolytics are too small making them extra difficult to get right. Anyway good luck!
Some extras are on the way when I next order a batch of pcbs (I wait until I have a load of different designs/prototypes ready to save on postage) - smt voltage regulators (that are not reaching end of life and are easier to get hold of!), larger caps, larger text on silkscreen (as that seems a common complaint) plus an extra feature that has been requested but that I’ll test first :-) It’ll definitely still be 0603 though :-) (I actually prefer to do 0402 as it’s so fast to hand solder but 0603 is a nice compromise - 0805 is too big ! I keep mostly 0402 and 0603 parts in my personal stock !) Tbh it would take only a couple of minutes to convert to 0805 if someone wanted it - it’s just two commands in eagle - it’d be trivial as all the parts are so spaced out - so if anyone wants 0805 they can just do it instantly and send off the gerbers....

XPump
Common Wiggler

“Quad” Barton BMC56 Utility Buttons

Post by XPump » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:47 am

Id made a suggestion to Mike Barton (bartonmusicalcircuits) to create a "pushbutton" module for manually generating gates and trigs with a latching
function bout a year ago.
I noticed Mike had created said item :tu: --> The "BMC56. Utility Buttons" a Dual Pushbutton module
w/ features I hadn't considered (thx!!)

Mike added some add'l functionality selectable w/two (3) position toggles :
Tap tempo - Trig or Gate - Momentary or Latching - and an Invert choice.

I had some cool pushbuttons I'd never found a use for so i decided to do a diff panel layout than Mikes PCB layout
using (2) BMC56's pcbs for (4) buttons.
DasBlinkenLights quickly gets to be a bit much so i went with the smaller 2mm LED size in Blue / Red ( led-switch.com)
and a higher resistor values to lower the brightness. (2K on read and 15K on blue)

The panel text is stick-ons from a label maker .I sprayed over the labels with flat black , used acetone to clear off the paint to show the text and then gave the panel a couple of coats w/ flat clear matte so the labels weren't so shiny and obvious
The tap tempo combined with the invert functions is a real awesome feature - especially x 4.

Heres some pics of the now named - “Stop - Go - Stop - Caution” module
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

forrest
Learning to Wiggle

Post by forrest » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:32 am

forestcaver wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:44 am
Tbh it would take only a couple of minutes to convert to 0805 if someone wanted it - it’s just two commands in eagle - it’d be trivial as all the parts are so spaced out - so if anyone wants 0805 they can just do it instantly and send off the gerbers....
Oh I wasn't meaning that you wanted to change it to 0805, just something i'd prefer, I would love to know how that's done! 0402?? you're a madman! :sb: hehe..

forestcaver
Veteran Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:34 pm

forrest wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:32 am
forestcaver wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:44 am
Tbh it would take only a couple of minutes to convert to 0805 if someone wanted it - it’s just two commands in eagle - it’d be trivial as all the parts are so spaced out - so if anyone wants 0805 they can just do it instantly and send off the gerbers....
Oh I wasn't meaning that you wanted to change it to 0805, just something i'd prefer, I would love to know how that's done! 0402?? you're a madman! :sb: hehe..
You just need to select everything in the schematic, then do a change package on the resistors to what you want eg

change package 'R-US_R0805’

Then repeat for caps.

To be fair, there will almost cerainly need to be a bit of nudging of the passives as they will likely overlap along with some traces, but it’d be fast; then recalculate the ratsnest and check for errors.... (I just did the v1.6 board as 0805 to see if it was as quick as I thought and it is....)

Revok
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Revok » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 pm

Just finished up the SOST. This video is low quality all around with some weird noise reduction from my tablet but I was too pleased with the first karplus sounds I made to not share them.

DEEMARKAY
Common Wiggler

Post by DEEMARKAY » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:20 am

Revok wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 pm
Just finished up the SOST. This video is low quality all around with some weird noise reduction from my tablet but I was too pleased with the first karplus sounds I made to not share them.
Is that solid core wire? Or how do you get it to look so awesomely tidy?

Revok
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Revok » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:07 pm

It's solid core wire with silicone insulation. It's really easy to work with. I was using silicone stranded wire for a while which was still nice but the solid core made getting everything where I want it easier. Keep in mind that it still takes me forever to wire it up like this but I enjoy the process.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:35 pm

I used to like using solid wire, and used it for several early module builds. The problem I had with it was that it doesn't withstand stress and heat well, and can break easily. Which can be a royal bitch to debug especially if the break happens inside a insulated section.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

twigathy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by twigathy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:09 pm

Some more parts turned up today (Thanks Thonk! :sb:), so I got to soldering up one of the 6hp LM13700 Dual VCA boards - excitingly, this means I can now have an absence of noise as well as noise!! The panel also includes some more front panel "programmer art" from yours truly. This time I went with no indicators on the knobs, space was a little tight for that. A cute little graph in the middle fills up the dead space between knobs and jacks :)

The circuit was basically just https://electricdruid.net/design-a-euro ... e-lm13700/ but with one of the suggested improvements in the comments (200k resistor tied to -12v on the gain pot), reverse polarity protection and... woops, I just realised I missed off the smoothing capactitors for the input. Oh well! The footprints for the resistors were a bit too small, so I ended up mounting them at quite funky angles to get everything to fit. But hey, it works, so I'm not too fussed about that.

Next up will be a VCF, once the US -> UK post sorts itself a bit and the PCBs from Oshpark show up...
IMG_20200701_185203.jpg
IMG_20200701_184940.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bhang
Common Wiggler

Post by Bhang » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:23 am

Inspired by the vanilla waffle box rack in an earlier post. I love the cheap builds! Here is one of my very early DIY builds. A Mosrite Fuzzrite converted to eurorack. And, a mult customized with electrical tape to cover holes from a botched panel. Well ... they both work ;-)
:party:
Mosrite Fuzzrite.JPG
Mult Mess.JPG

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:38 pm

actually got to build something for myself this summer
104889617_733543410780818_7385764374767819676_o.jpg

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:17 am

That's a nice looking piece of kit. Looks great with the Hallik case.

How was the case to assemble? I've had some frustrating moments with the Hallik stuff for MI.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:33 am

Revok wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 pm

Great looking build! (However, this would be a perfect candidate for a Panel PCB.)
We've moved fast, we need love; a part we offer is our only freedom

Revok
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Revok » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:50 am

Thanks! I agree haha.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:36 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:17 am
That's a nice looking piece of kit. Looks great with the Hallik case.

How was the case to assemble? I've had some frustrating moments with the Hallik stuff for MI.
No issues fitting the case. The rest of the device is pretty complicated to get together mechanically though, they made a pretty comprehensive video build guide that you pretty much have to watch.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:41 pm

These builds are inspiring.

I was about to jump back into DIY with the DivKid Mutes kit and I guess someone has decided they want to try since they stole it off my porch before I got it. I bet it's in a trash can somewhere.
THUMPR BC SC

EdwinSL
Learning to Wiggle

Post by EdwinSL » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:46 am

Triple mult, boring.

In fact a Mutable Instruments clone, Links's upper part times three.

They serve me well.

Huge respect for this site, scared to post, I tried to made sure to post something substantially.
Last edited by EdwinSL on Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

dot matrix madness
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dot matrix madness » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:18 am

EdwinSL wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:46 am
[...]Huge respect for this site, scared to post, I tried to made sure to post something substantially.
That's pretty substantial. Haven't seen these black nuts before.
Licenced to solder since 1993

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:33 am

smaller.jpg
MA SVVCF - very nice sounding filter!
module2.jpg
back1.jpg
self designed Noise module, newest version 8. now with pcb panel and some extra features.
more info: https://www.reverselandfill.org/diy/noise-v8/

EdwinSL
Learning to Wiggle

Post by EdwinSL » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:53 am

dot matrix madness wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:18 am
Haven't seen these black nuts before.
Those are Bananuts by Befaco, they come in a variety of colors.

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:57 am

EdwinSL wrote:

Triple mult, boring.

In fact a Mutable Instruments clone, Link's upper part times three.

They serve me well.

Huge respect for this site, scared to post, I tried to made sure to post something substantially.
good stuff, nice build! welcome to the forum. it's the least scary place on the whole interwebs

EdwinSL
Learning to Wiggle

Post by EdwinSL » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:03 am

Thank you Roglok, shoutout to FetidEye aka LAB_ aka Martijn, that NOISE module seems really nice. I own his Monotropa and it became a favorite.

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:04 pm

EdwinSL wrote:
Triple mult, boring.

In fact a Mutable Instruments clone, Links's upper part times three.

They serve me well.

Where'd you get those sexy jack nuts?
----------------------

Flounderguts

Return to “Music Tech DIY”