The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

RadekTymecki
Common Wiggler

Re: The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by RadekTymecki » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:13 pm

sduck wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:28 pm
Ok, this one is weird and sort of ancient, but I finally finished it, so there.

IMG_2904.jpg

This is version 1 of the very first run of these. I built most of this when I got it, maybe 6 years ago - it was right around the time the TTSH came out originally. But I didn't have a case for it. So it sat, mostly untouched, on a shelf since then. I moved since then, rebuilt my studio in the new house, put it on the same shelf it had been. A few years ago synthcube started a pre-order for the cases for these, so I bought into it, and finally got the case a few months ago. Some more sitting around ensued, with a few brief spurts of activity, but today everything seemed to fall into place to actually get everything together, and now it is! Still have to calibrate it - hopefully I won't wait another 4 months to do that.
i have 3 of them but only one is finished. damn... but can you tell me where can i get those caps?

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:18 pm

Stoneyards wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:46 am
I built a 12u case this summer..

IMG_0815.jpeg

I wanted something to match my desk..

IMG_0812.jpeg

Working backwards, here's the finished product with genus modu bus boards and acopian power supplies. There's a powder-coated mesh back that goes on after this.

IMG_0797.jpeg

Birch ply and pulplogic rails before stain and wipe on poly.

IMG_0627.jpeg

Cardboard prototype helped me get the angles right.

IMG_0626.jpeg

..And yesterday I replaced the linear supply with switch mode supplies. Lighter and eliminates a bit of mechanical noise.

IMG_1159.jpeg
Very nice! I like the case a little less fancy, like yours! What stand is that you have it on?
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. as of Dec 8th 2020 on a break for a bit .. contact me via bamco60@hotmail.com if needed.
WELCOME TO 2021 .. THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:23 pm

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:47 pm
^ Dayum. Looking really clean as usual. Your builds are always a highlight on here. How much did the panels come out to?
Thanks! I think if I had only gotten one panel done it would have cost around $25, but I put a few in the same file so they shared sides and they were only about $15 apiece.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:06 pm

RadekTymecki wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:13 pm
sduck wrote:

IMG_2904.jpg

This is version 1 of the very first run of these. I built most of this when I got it, maybe 6 years ago - it was right around the time the TTSH came out originally. But I didn't have a case for it. So it sat, mostly untouched, on a shelf since then. I moved since then, rebuilt my studio in the new house, put it on the same shelf it had been. A few years ago synthcube started a pre-order for the cases for these, so I bought into it, and finally got the case a few months ago. Some more sitting around ensued, with a few brief spurts of activity, but today everything seemed to fall into place to actually get everything together, and now it is! Still have to calibrate it - hopefully I won't wait another 4 months to do that.
i have 3 of them but only one is finished. damn... but can you tell me where can i get those caps?
Those particular ones were three of the four extra WASD caps that come with some Ducky keyboards. Don't ask about my mechanical keyboard collection. You can get similar things on mechanicalkeyboards.com or a similar site.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:16 pm

soup wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:23 pm
NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:47 pm
^ Dayum. Looking really clean as usual. Your builds are always a highlight on here. How much did the panels come out to?
Thanks! I think if I had only gotten one panel done it would have cost around $25, but I put a few in the same file so they shared sides and they were only about $15 apiece.
Thats better than I expected. Thanks a million for the info.

Stoneyards
Common Wiggler

Post by Stoneyards » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:05 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:18 pm
Very nice! I like the case a little less fancy, like yours! What stand is that you have it on?

It's on an amp stand, designed to get small guitar amps off the floor.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:36 pm

sduck wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:12 pm
another christmas tree ornament:
IMG_2857.jpg

(finished up while listening to Bana Haffar at Synthbooth)
So those anodized aluminum jack nuts (Befaco ??) .. how well do they deal with installation? I mean if the tool slips even a wee bit how well do those nuts hold up? Is the anodizing pretty durable? ... perhaps ~hard anodized~ ... which is more durable than cosmetic anodizing?

I ask ~you~ since I've seen a number of your constructs that utilize those over the past year (??). That said, I reckon you may have gained some experience regarding how much ham-fistedness those wonder nuts tolerate.

8-)

Re; the ATOM .... I have one. LOVE the very identifiable sounds it makes (that circuit has a ton of character that produces such an undeniable ~identity~ .. so to speak) ... yea, love the sound, but them tiny trimmers packed so tightly really suck. They're high quality components, so it's not that the module is made of crappy stuff .... it's just how difficult them tiny little trimmers make things.

Which has lead me to be on the lookout for some solutions. I found these ..... FORTY BUCKS!

LINK ("b" model, with jack on the bottom): https://www.sssrlabs.com/store/sm800b/
SSSR Labs - SM800b Wobla (b model with jack at the bottom) - 01.jpg
LINK ("a" model, with jack at the top): https://www.sssrlabs.com/store/sm800a/
SSSR Labs SM800a Wobla (a model with jack at the top) - 01.jpg
Those or something like them, in addition to other manual variable voltage sources (sticks, ribbons, wheels, foot controls, and so on). But yea .... did I mention they're only FORTY BUCKS EACH!!??!?!

Best I can tell those are 60mm faders .... same size I use on my DotCom dual VCF I cooked up. Sweet.

:tu:
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. as of Dec 8th 2020 on a break for a bit .. contact me via bamco60@hotmail.com if needed.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:46 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:18 pm
Oooh, lovin' those layouts, dot matrix madness!!
No kiddin' ... right!?!?!?! Nice work.

RadekTymecki
Common Wiggler

Post by RadekTymecki » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:39 pm

sduck wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:06 pm
RadekTymecki wrote:
sduck wrote:

IMG_2904.jpg

Those particular ones were three of the four extra WASD caps that come with some Ducky keyboards. Don't ask about my mechanical keyboard collection. You can get similar things on mechanicalkeyboards.com or a similar site.
i meant the slider caps. i remember i saw them somewhere but dunno where

cartertools
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cartertools » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:23 pm

3 of the new Kassutronics Slope v2 modules. Glad to be getting back into building after the apocalypse derailed my momentum.
slope3x.jpg

sduck

Post by sduck » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:56 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:36 pm
So those anodized aluminum jack nuts (Befaco ??) .. how well do they deal with installation? I mean if the tool slips even a wee bit how well do those nuts hold up? Is the anodizing pretty durable? ... perhaps ~hard anodized~ ... which is more durable than cosmetic anodizing?

I ask ~you~ since I've seen a number of your constructs that utilize those over the past year (??). That said, I reckon you may have gained some experience regarding how much ham-fistedness those wonder nuts tolerate.
As far as I can tell they're hard anodized. I haven't scratched/scraped the finish down to the bare aluminum on any of these yet. Which you certainly would if there was a problem - the little tightening tool they provide is some serious cheapness, it's constantly slipping out of the slots.

RadekTymecki wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:39 pm
sduck wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:06 pm
RadekTymecki wrote:
sduck wrote:

IMG_2904.jpg

i meant the slider caps. i remember i saw them somewhere but dunno where
Oh - those are from synthcube, I think. They're actually manufactured by the Logan Solomon folks, or what's left of them, and they made a batch in one color scheme for synthcube, and another batch in a different color for their own use. I was sent these by LS, but don't really remember which batch they're from.

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:04 am

fragletrollet wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:12 pm
As promised...

Holy shit, this will definitely be my next project!

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:30 am

I haven't posted in a while but I did build a few things this year.
Modded Danelectro Spring King, to add pots for the PT2399 inside. Adds a lot to an already nice sounding pedal.

Installed Mic-Parts capsule and circuit into an MXL 990 condensor mic.
Before:

After:

Built the DIYRE Color Palette 500 modules in this rack, plus a bunch of Color sub-modules.

And this Arp 1601 clone.
I documented the build here: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 5#p7679785

I feel like there was something else but I can't remember now. :doh:

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:41 pm

justin3am wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:30 am
I haven't posted in a while but I did build a few things this year ... Installed Mic-Parts capsule and circuit into an MXL 990 condensor mic....
I've never heard of that before ... I have one of those MXL990 mics (w/shock mount), had it for years. Thanks for the exposure, I've gone to the Microphone-Parts website ... lots to see .. thanks again!!!

LINK: https://microphone-parts.com/pages/mxl-990-mods

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:02 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:41 pm
I've never heard of that before ... I have one of those MXL990 mics (w/shock mount), had it for years. Thanks for the exposure, I've gone to the Microphone-Parts website ... lots to see .. thanks again!!!

LINK: https://microphone-parts.com/pages/mxl-990-mods

I went with the RK47 capsule which gives the mic a much smoother high end and a nice bass boost. The new circuit makes the mic less noisy and about 6dB louder than the original. I also adds a Omni pickup pattern, which makes it useful as a room mic. I have another unmodded 990, so I want to do some comparisons.
The 990s were my first condenser mics. I have some decent LDCs now, so my MXL mics were just sitting in the closet for years. I already found that the modded version sounds fantastic on guitar cabs and for close micing a speaker on my 2600.

I'm thinking about building one of their V251 mics next.

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:30 pm

cartertools wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:23 pm
3 of the new Kassutronics Slope v2 modules. Glad to be getting back into building after the apocalypse derailed my momentum.
slope3x.jpg
nice!

didn't know about that module
looks great
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

nigel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nigel » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:09 am

My homemade take on the PT2399 delay.

I wanted a couple of things: it should be usable both standalone (like a guitar delay pedal), and as a simple signal in, delayed signal out module for building complex patches. It should also have voltage controlled delay (because if it's not voltage controlled, it's not modular). I wanted to keep it compact, so I didn't add any VCAs - if I want VC repeats, that can be patched externally. Arranging the knobs zig-zag on a 6HP panel gives just enough finger room.

The circuit is quite standard - in particular, the CV mixer was originally taken from a version by Scott Bernardi - but I took a while tweaking the values to get the behaviour I wanted. The input control avoids overloading the chip, and set at half way it takes a +/-5V signal without clipping. The signal in and out of the chip is filtered at 5kHz, so the delays are quite clean, although they get a bit crunchy if the delay time is too long. The trimpot on the board adjusts the delay CV mix so that the chip just starts to break down if the Delay control is turned up full. Similarly, the Repeat control gives runaway feedback just before maximum. The main output is the signal from the delay only, the mix output has the input signal plus the amount of delayed signal set by the Mix control.

The main circuit board is spot soldered to matching tracks on the front panel board, which is not something I would recommend for a commercial circuit, but is quite sturdy enough for a home build. It saves space on connectors and mounting hardware, and allows the main board to be a little wider than the front panel.
all.jpg

cartertools
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cartertools » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:30 pm

Any chance of getting a schematic? Looks like a lovely delay and has all the features I would want as well.
I started doing right angle front panel boards for my DIY builds although I use right angle headers for more mechanical strength.
Did you CNC mill the board?
nigel wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:09 am
The main circuit board is spot soldered to matching tracks on the front panel board, which is not something I would recommend for a commercial circuit, but is quite sturdy enough for a home build. It saves space on connectors and mounting hardware, and allows the main board to be a little wider than the front panel.
all.jpg

htor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by htor » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:37 pm

nigel wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:09 am
My homemade take on the PT2399 delay.
beauty.

nigel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nigel » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:59 pm

cartertools wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:30 pm
Any chance of getting a schematic? Looks like a lovely delay and has all the features I would want as well.
I started doing right angle front panel boards for my DIY builds although I use right angle headers for more mechanical strength.
Did you CNC mill the board?
I'll have to draw up a clean circuit, it's all rough notes right now. The PCB was manually designed, laser printed onto blue transfer paper and etched. (Maybe one day I'll learn to use a PCB layout program, but for now I enjoy the design process as a brain workout. it's a bit like doing the daily Sudoku.)

cartertools
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cartertools » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:13 am

Thanks, those are the most fun builds when you do it all from scratch.
nigel wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:59 pm
I'll have to draw up a clean circuit, it's all rough notes right now. The PCB was manually designed, laser printed onto blue transfer paper and etched. (Maybe one day I'll learn to use a PCB layout program, but for now I enjoy the design process as a brain workout. it's a bit like doing the daily Sudoku.)

sduck

Post by sduck » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:42 pm

This is number 2 of a three-peat of o_c's. The first was a full size, built for Mr. Rex Coil. Then this one. Next up is a 1uO_c, which may be a bit before it's completed. This one was kind of tricky, as I'm right in the middle of moving, and my tools and such are still here but most of my modular stuff is over in the new place.
IMG_3031.JPG

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:56 pm

This morning I assembled my TSynth (DIY Teensy 4.1 Polysynth)
A nice build that lasted about 1.5 hrs. A surprsingly rich 12-note polysynth for about 150-170 euros

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:11 pm

Just finished my 2nd iteration of a midi to opl3 player, 127 different 4 operand instruments controlled by a stm32 blue pill.
Attachments
9DE4F072-9C9D-4ADF-816D-5519FC64565B.jpeg
B48AEDCE-3B95-4878-9C3D-81ADA8A5128C.jpeg

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:44 pm

:foul:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”