The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

diode_destroyer
Common Wiggler

Re: The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by diode_destroyer » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:55 pm

fragletrollet wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:32 pm
... Are these based on the AML kit?
Yes, they are just the AML EZ-1073 kits in cases from http://collectivecases.com/ . I am now looking at the ka-electronics MS Matrix PC Board to go along with them.

Brian2020
Common Wiggler

Post by Brian2020 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:22 am

soup wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:53 pm
A couple of Ken Stone classics shrunk down for frac...
DSCF2455.jpg
DSCF2469.jpg
DSCF2473.jpg
DSCF2480.jpg
:rastanana:
Nice work at always Soup

Brian2020
Common Wiggler

Post by Brian2020 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:28 am

Ginko wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:08 am
This has been my lockdown project so far - there are a few more modules that didn't work out so well, and I have a new multi-function modulator in the works. Four modules are finished and two are nearly done, bottom of the rack is Voltage Memory by Meng Qi.

I recently took delivery of a Voltage Memory with 3.5mm jacks. With the low clearance available I’m looking for banana jacks that will fit. What type/brand did you end up using? How much clearance was left after installing them? I’m hoping I don’t have to swap out pots in order to retrofit mine with bananas.

Your diy panels look really good to me. That’s a killer set up you have there.

Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:42 am

Ginko, I love those panels!

I've done a new layout of the Buchla 410 discrete AR into the 280 module format, not big but worth presenting. FPE panel and home-etch PCB art will be posted.
DSC01438.JPG
DSC01439.JPG
This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:10 am

Thank you both! The bananas used on the Voltage Memory are cheap ones with a hook up wire tab, like this: https://tinyurl.com/y9ch94t8 - I used to buy big bags of multicolour nanas in that package, from eBay - they aren't great though, the threaded pillar and nut are usually not good quality. Aliexpress might be worth a look - or if you are desperate I might have some in a drawer.

I use Johnson/Cinch type for my modules, they have a hook up tab attached and a plastic pillar, the pillar is the same height as the pots I use and the tab goes through the PCB, they come in a good range of colours and the footprint can alternatively take a mini-jack. I do want to revise my PCB footprint a little as I have made it pretty difficult to desolder! https://tinyurl.com/ydx5nuzv

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:14 am

fragletrollet wrote:
Prepare yourself for a fair bit of work!
I was planning to build a 32 channel CAPI summing Mixer before I saw your build. I may still go for the CAPI, if only because my wiring wouldn't be nearly as neat as yours! :oops:

I built a few Sound Skulptor and Hairball 500 modules a while back. Really nice stuff.

fragletrollet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fragletrollet » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:40 am

diode_destroyer wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:55 pm
fragletrollet wrote:
... Are these based on the AML kit?
Yes, they are just the AML EZ-1073 kits in cases from http://collectivecases.com/ . I am now looking at the ka-electronics MS Matrix PC Board to go along with them.
I got my 1084 cases from Collective Cases.

I have a mastering switcher I want to build eventually, with his second gen M/S board, a couple of transfer console/filter switchers and insert switchers. He's a super friendly guy and I've learned a bunch from his site, and I can't think anything other than his pcb's being a joy to work with.

...a long way from diy-racked "support", where you're pretty much on your own often without even a schematic altough none of their stuff are original designs, while Wayne is genuinly making new, state of the art mastering gear that everyone can build :hail:
justin3am wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:14 am
fragletrollet wrote:
I was planning to build a 32 channel CAPI summing Mixer before I saw your build. I may still go for the CAPI, if only because my wiring wouldn't be nearly as neat as yours! :oops:

I built a few Sound Skulptor and Hairball 500 modules a while back. Really nice stuff.
I needed the direct outputs for the way I imagined my ultimate workflow; 24 channels, all mixed live so I can capture my live performances but still have access to all the channels individually later in the process, be it instruments or effect returns. All my problems with the mixer (and there still are a few) are due to wiring/connector issues. The case is tight and there is not a lot of room, so the wiring gets squeezed. Alot of small details you have to figure out for yourself, which I guess is cool for improving your skills, but the CAPI stuff is just such a joy to build...

Most of the color comes from the master section (ACA/BO) on the dr2402, and the direct outs sound pretty neutral in contrast. The noisefloor of the mixbus is also quite a bit higher than the individual channels (even muted) so I might be able to improve the specs. I wonder if it would be practically feasable to mod CAPI's sumbus with direct outputs. Also curious how he implemented the mic trafo on the inputs, I wonder if it's just a pad. Pity he doesn't release schematics of everything either, but with all the "cloning of the cloning" going on I get it, especially with something original.

I was eyeing those Soundskulptor Neve's myself! I would think that with the pad set to line, gain and trim to minimum you can get unity gain, and the eq's have some tasty differences to the AML Line amp / eq duo with more frequencies like the 1084. Don't know if I can live without the 10K on the 1073's.

I dig Soundskulptors "lets cram as much as we can into the space we're given". Hey, real-estate is the most expensive thing in the studio.

How you liking your DIYRE Color modules?

BadPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by BadPixel » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:28 am

Not music tech per se but DIY and at least somewhat related :oops:

Got tired of dropping the headphones on the floor so I made a hanger for the keyboard stand.

Image Image Image Image

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:23 pm

Using Pulp Logic's E-Tret circuit as a starting point, I made an Eurorack stereo electret microphone power supply and amplifier in 4HP. It's my first analog module, and the first time I designed custom PCBs: the green one for the front-facing components, and the black one to use as front panel (I posted some details here). The other two circuits are arranged on protoboards.

Image Image

I posted more info, schematic and pics in a dedicated thread.

htor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by htor » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:48 pm

justin3am wrote:
fragletrollet wrote:

wow! cool!
this is new to me. is this some kind of modular mastering kit?
where do you plug your ins and outs on those modules missing jacks?
Last edited by htor on Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:03 pm

htor wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:48 pm
justin3am wrote:
fragletrollet wrote:

wow! cool!
this is new to me. is this some kind of modular mastering kit?
where do you plug your ins and outs on those modules missing jacks?
These are API 500 format modules. The case has card slots on a backplane, which are connected to inputs and outputs on the back of the case. The jacks on the front of preamps are DI inputs. I mostly use the DB-25 connectors on the back of the case.
Here are links to some of the projects I've built:
https://www.soundskulptor.com/en/prodde ... prod=MP573
https://www.soundskulptor.com/en/prodde ... prod=EQ573
https://www.hairballaudio.com/catalog/lola-mic-pre
https://www.hairballaudio.com/catalog/fet-500
https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/c ... e-mkii-kit
I tend to stick with these API 8 space racks: https://apiaudio.com/product.php?id=137
...but there are DIY options for racks as well.

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:11 pm

fragletrollet wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:40 am
Hey, real-estate is the most expensive thing in the studio.
That is the truth! Space and time!

fragletrollet wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:40 am
How you liking your DIYRE Color modules?
I like them. I don't need three slots per module, so I may swap them out for a pair of Mister Focus modules from Louder Than Liftoff.
The color modules I've tried all sound great, particularly the Louder Than Liftoff Mass Driver, DIYRE IPS and Bart HRK GT Console. I have a few others which I swap out from time to time but I've never used more than 2 in series. The Color Palettes are super easy to build though, and very affordable.

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:20 pm

I've been kinda quiet this year, but figured I should throw one quick thing under the door as it's closing.

I've had these rails kicking around for ages, but they were on metal side panels, which only really allowed "front & back" and I didn't really go for that. Last night I realized nothing stopped me from throwing together some 1/4 plywood panels to make the sides instead.

Part of the inspiration as well was to be able to hook up my xmas present, the Morpheus on the far right. :) My main cases are in storage still....
IMG_3831.JPG

Pretty much everything else I've built this year has been for other people, or development projects for things to sell, so not really for this thread. :)

Edit: oh also, didn't realize until too late that the wider rails (the two center ones are pretty narrow actually) have 2.5mm strips, while those two narrow ones have 3mm strips... Adapt and overcome! I had some nylon 2.5mm screws, so that made it work anyway.

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:38 am

joeSeggiola wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:23 pm
here.

Image Image
Love the panel, well done! Just looking at the protoboard gives me a panic attack though :hihi:

I'm quite interested in working on some more external input / output modules. My 'Endings' output is an AC mixer to transformer coupled out (quite basic but works well). I would like to work on some similar input options for electrets, contact mics and other general mic and line level stuff at some point.

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:49 am

I made a double Wasp filter in a stomp box case this year.
IMG_0680.jpg
It runs on 12v, via a 12v regulator from a 15v DC adapter. It has a 4x gain stage at the input to add distortion before the filter(s).

This is the first project I've taken from a schematic to breadboard to strip board, rather than building from a kit.
I've learnt loads doing it, mostly: don't be too ambitious, especially with what you can fit in a 1590 stomp box! That's why I had to add a few daughter boards for the outputs.

It's configured like the Bugbrand cross over filter - the high pass from channel A is normed to the input of channel B. Channel A is selectable between band pass and low pass, channel B is high pass or low pass. For extra fun, the band pass of channel A is normed to the CV input of channel B and vice-versa.

The pot in the middle fades between the two outputs. I had originally conceived a vactrol crossfader circuit for this, but I didn't have room in the box for it. :bang:
IMG_0610.jpeg
IMG_0608.jpeg

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:12 pm

Ginko wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:38 am
Love the panel, well done! Just looking at the protoboard gives me a panic attack though :hihi:
Packed protoboards happens when you keep being stubborn in making it into 4HP :hihi:

However, it's not that hard when you plan everything, both placing and wiring, in advance on a computer. I was used to it from my old projects, but now that I had to learn how to design the PCB to make the front panel, I think I'll use them also for circuits in the next projects.

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:20 am

joeSeggiola wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:12 pm
Ginko wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:38 am
Packed protoboards happens when you keep being stubborn in making it into 4HP :hihi:

However, it's not that hard when you plan everything, both placing and wiring, in advance on a computer. I was used to it from my old projects, but now that I had to learn how to design the PCB to make the front panel, I think I'll use them also for circuits in the next projects.
If you are already using a computer to plan your protoboard then absolutely! I have been using Eagle for years but only because I have an educational license (free version has harsh restrictions for board editing). I would recommend learning KiCad for anyone starting out :tu:

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:26 am

Stan Pete wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:07 am
Korg Volca Modular – Buchla like Port – Erica Synths DIY Voice Card

If you want to build your own - i attached a PDF for the connections

Korg Volca Easel Card reader.pdf

IMG_20201117_124224.jpg

IMG_20201214_230736.jpg

IMG_20201117_124000.jpg

IMG_20201117_124316.jpg

Korg Volca Modular – Buchla like Port – Erica Synths DIY Voice Card

Korg Volca Modular - Buchla like Port - Erica Synths DIY Voice Card

Hello everybody,

actually the project was planned for the christmas holidays but then I finished building it.

A 44 pin connector was installed here to accommodate the Erica Synths DIY Voice Card. A 56 pin connector is built into the Bucla Easel.

The Volca Modular has 50 patch points. I left out the 6 from the SPLIT and the external inputs. GND is on board. I still have 1X free. Maybe for power for an IC, maybe Kastle integration .....

I created an Excel table for the pin assignment so that I don't get confused.

Don't leave the ribbon cable too long - there is very little space - I had to leave out the screw in the middle.

Maybe I'll create a sticker for the card because I've changed the patch point assignment.

You can also see the LEDs in the lighter colors through the T8 potentiometer. I'm still wondering whether I shouldn't drill out the white dots. Did a test once. It works with the very bright LEDs - the one from the LPG is a bit weak, you can only see it at the right angle.

Greetings
Stan Pete
Love this Stan!
And great 1st post.
This expansion of the Volca deserves its own thread!
Gaun Yersel!

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:29 am

hox3d wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:39 pm
soup wrote:
Cannot wait to see the whole system with brushed aluminium.
I'm used to the blue, but it does indeed look great like this.
Very elegant, things of beauty! Would love to see the full system as well and will the adapted boards be available?
Gaun Yersel!

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:56 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:29 am
hox3d wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:39 pm
soup wrote:
Cannot wait to see the whole system with brushed aluminium.
I'm used to the blue, but it does indeed look great like this.
Very elegant, things of beauty! Would love to see the full system as well and will the adapted boards be available?
Thanks! I have no plans to sell anything, these were done for fun and education. I'm not comfortable posting the files publicly as these are Ken Stone's designs but PM if you want to get a few boards made yourself.

pinknoise
Common Wiggler

Post by pinknoise » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:21 pm

stashole wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:10 am
Completed a Rampage the other day. [...]First test, only the right half worked, so I left it til the next day to clean up the many joints I'd missed. The excitement I experienced when it finally worked after another hour of filling holes was unreal! Now on to the next one, a Hex Mix VCA :mrgreen:
So I just finished my Rampage kit and only the right side, channel B, works. The left half, channel A, doesn’t pass any signal and the A output LED stays on. Obviously the combined outputs don’t work right either. Is this just sloppy or incomplete soldering? Or does anyone have any other ideas about what I should be looking for? (I’m pretty happy about at least one channel working as expected. I’m actually just glad the whole thing didn’t smoke or blow up.)

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:30 am

pinknoise wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:21 pm
stashole wrote:
Completed a Rampage the other day. [...]First test, only the right half worked, so I left it til the next day to clean up the many joints I'd missed. The excitement I experienced when it finally worked after another hour of filling holes was unreal! Now on to the next one, a Hex Mix VCA :mrgreen:
So I just finished my Rampage kit and only the right side, channel B, works. The left half, channel A, doesn’t pass any signal and the A output LED stays on. Obviously the combined outputs don’t work right either. Is this just sloppy or incomplete soldering? Or does anyone have any other ideas about what I should be looking for? (I’m pretty happy about at least one channel working as expected. I’m actually just glad the whole thing didn’t smoke or blow up.)
Note sure this is the best thread to ask this kind of question - but do you have any thing you can test with like an oscilloscope?

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:06 pm

This isn't a complete build, just a PCB. However, this is my first Frequency Shifter "Lite" -- it's basically what is known as a "Klangumwandler" (I think), or a frequency shifter without an on-board quadrature oscillator. Instead, there is a second Dome filter (or 90-degree Phase Displacement Network) to generate quadrature from any external signal. Hence, any external VCO can be used as the quadrature oscillator. Alternatively, any external audio source can be used to drive the shifting, but, of course, anything other than a clean sine wave will give all sorts of additional sidebands -- could be cool.

So, this unit has two Dome filters: the one at the top of the board is a 12-stage unit, generating quadrature between 15 Hz and 15000 Hz. The one at the bottom is an 18-stage unit, generating quadrature between 0.1 Hz and 10000 Hz. It goes very low in order to process LFO signals for phasing duties. Because it has to cover 5 orders of magnitude rather than the customary 3, it has to be larger. I hunted down the actual mathematics for designing dome filters, and built a Visual Basic code within Excel to make the process very easy -- with a few keystrokes I can design an optimum Dome filter with as many stages and for whatever range of frequencies I desire, and with a few more keystrokes I can have the optimum collection of standard 1% resistors for achieving the requisite time constants. Designing a Dome filter literally takes me less than 30 seconds. Also, the layout is standardized, so doing the layout takes another 30 seconds. The circuitry in the middle of the board constitutes the two four-quadrant multipliers (built from a single 2164 quad VCA chip and some opamps), as well as the input and output summing and differencing amps.

I have only tested the Dome filters so far, and they work perfectly. However, the rest of the circuitry is straight outta my other frequency shifter design, so I have no doubt that it too will work perfectly. I'll try to post a YouTube video tonight and will link to that in my "Something New from Doc Sketchy" thread.
FSLite Build Pic.png
FSLite.jpg
A dewdrop can exalt us like the music of the sun.

pinknoise
Common Wiggler

Post by pinknoise » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:33 pm

Ginko wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:30 am
pinknoise wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:21 pm
stashole wrote:
Note sure this is the best thread to ask this kind of question - but do you have any thing you can test with like an oscilloscope?
I have a Waveform Magazine oscilloscope that I built in my rack. What should I test? What am I looking for?
Other than that, I have a multimeter...

Dave Kendall
Set The Controls . . .

Post by Dave Kendall » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:31 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:06 pm
This isn't a complete build, just a PCB. However, this is my first Frequency Shifter "Lite"
Nice ! :)

Do you have any audio samples ?
I'm intruiged as to what something other than a sine to drive the shifter would sound like.

D
Want to Buy: KURZWEIL KSP8
Want to Buy: old EFM PCBs

"Everything in moderation, including moderation"

Return to “Music Tech DIY”