The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

luchog
Crazy Pony

Re: The 2020 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by luchog » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:47 pm

Picked up a couple of el-cheapo DIY electronic projects, a signal generator and an oscilloscope, for less than $40 for both together. Spent a couple days soldering them up, and they are working... about as well as can be considered given how cheap they are.
siggen and oscope project-small.jpg
oscope project in use.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:44 pm

Don't really post my DIY anywhere, but I'm proud of this project so thought I would share. Built about a month ago, but I didn't have time to really calibrate them fully with work scheduling. Finally got the time over the weekend and WOW!

Huge thank you to Slightly Nasty for designing these modules. They were a joy to build and easy to get working with the mods posted.
Design layout is my favorite 4U I've come across, the oscillators are IC free and the sound is killer!

Need to cut a better case in the future and maybe double the size so more CGS stuff can be added, but the way it is now is a true joy to play.

Additional shout out thank you to the guys at Modular addict for making these available in the U.S. and quickly fixing a panel mishap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Post by Noodle Twister » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:47 pm

Finished this recently :)
ARSEq.PNG
ARSEq1.PNG
Also this.
le strum.PNG

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:09 am

Yes, nice one! Slightly Nasty modules are really very cool, and as you say killer sound! Nice work!
NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:44 pm
Don't really post my DIY anywhere, but I'm proud of this project so thought I would share. Built about a month ago, but I didn't have time to really calibrate them fully with work scheduling. Finally got the time over the weekend and WOW!

Huge thank you to Slightly Nasty for designing these modules. They were a joy to build and easy to get working with the mods posted.
Design layout is my favorite 4U I've come across, the oscillators are IC free and the sound is killer!

Need to cut a better case in the future and maybe double the size so more CGS stuff can be added, but the way it is now is a true joy to play.

Additional shout out thank you to the guys at Modular addict for making these available in the U.S. and quickly fixing a panel mishap.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:18 am

I was wondering why this page takes ages to load here, then I see photos that people are posting which are 4000 px large, over 1 MB, 2MB, 3MB :despair:
To see a scope screenhsot, a panel, a pcb or a blurry photo, it's IMHO overkill. Takes so much space on the server for nothing.
Wondering if it's the chocolate I was eating right now which puts me in such a negative/bad mood!
Kind of strange how I turned in a sec from "woaah... nice builds" to "hey... wtf!".
FS: New Orgone Accumulator MK2 for BugBrand/FRAC
-----------------------------------
www.batchas.com

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:12 am

It used to be that the upload process resized photos automatically if they were in-line. I wonder if that has been lost or deliberately turned off?

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:16 am

batchas wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:18 am
Wondering if it's the chocolate I was eating right now which puts me in such a negative/bad mood!
:hihi:

recent stuff from me!
P6360800 inty.jpeg

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:27 am

the bad producer wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:16 am
batchas wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:18 am
:hihi:

recent stuff from me!

P6360800 inty.jpeg
:party:
www.batchas.com

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:49 am

elmegil wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:12 am
It used to be that the upload process resized photos automatically if they were in-line. I wonder if that has been lost or deliberately turned off?
That was me that broke/fixed that. The default settings for this new software does resize the display of images posted here as attachments. But, the default settings also severely limit the size of the original files uploaded, so many people were having problems with even fairly small files. So I kicked it up a notch. Or 4. So yes, if you see some delay in an image loading, it's because it's just really big. But don't worry, it's not pulling down the whole forum, just the current page loading on your end. And we have tons of space available for images/attachments.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

nimets
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nimets » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:30 pm

2 of my latest builds
Robaux 3pt
Serge NCOM
IMG-9724.png

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Post by Noodle Twister » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:45 pm

Picture upload doesn't work for me.It used to. I have to use snipping tool. :despair:

SyndieBot2000XL
Common Wiggler

Post by SyndieBot2000XL » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:10 pm

Been waiting until I had time and motivation to pick up some shears and flashing for making brackets. I feel dumb that I’ve waited so long, because it gives stripboard builds a *much* nicer finish and is not hard. I do need to rig up some kind of aluminum break though...

My first Finished bracket-mounted build is a dual CGS30 Bandpass filter. I bumped down the resistors that control the resonance, so it really gets whistling at high settings. Great for murky, vibey textures. I kind of want to build a bank of these things. I need to clean up the wiring, the jack grounding particularly is a mess.
It began as a mistake.

sduck

Post by sduck » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:54 pm

Noodle Twister wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:45 pm
Picture upload doesn't work for me.It used to. I have to use snipping tool. :despair:
How are you trying to upload pictures? The procedure has changed. It works really well now, if you do it correctly. Select the attachments tab at the bottom of the edit window, upload your image as an attachment, and when it's uploaded, choose to post inline.

cygmu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cygmu » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:06 pm

Superb. I really must build a few more of the Slightly Nasty modules. I have absolutely no need and even less space for them but they're lovely! Congratulations on a beautiful first row.

EdBrock
Learning to Wiggle

Post by EdBrock » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:12 pm

Quad Spatial Director. Used the Yusynth VC panner design and modified it for quad. Paper face panel.
I thought I would build a few modules to see if I liked it and guess what happened......

SlightlyNasty
Common Wiggler

Post by SlightlyNasty » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:21 pm

Love it! So glad to see a full system put together and running. There's more stuff coming soon, I promise!

I guess you were one who got that bizzare backwards panel?
www.slightlynasty.com - 4U DIY Modules for the Loudest Warning format

CostantinoRizzuti
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CostantinoRizzuti » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:16 am

Hello everyone
I just signed up to this forum today and this is my second post.
I don't know if this is the right place, but I would like to share with community a project of a DIY synth based on Pure Data and Raspberry Pi.
Here two demo videos of Synthberry Pi.

More info here: www.artislab.it
;) ;) ;)
Costantino

sduck

Post by sduck » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:46 am

You should start a separate thread dedicated to this project!

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:05 pm

EdBrock wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:12 pm
Quad Spatial Director. Used the Yusynth VC panner design and modified it for quad. Paper face panel.
Wooah :sb:
Buchla 227 had better watch out!
www.batchas.com

snevlida14
Common Wiggler

Post by snevlida14 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:19 pm

sduck wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:46 am
You should start a separate thread dedicated to this project!
Yes, make a thread please

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:52 pm

the bad producer wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:09 am
Yes, nice one! Slightly Nasty modules are really very cool, and as you say killer sound! Nice work!
An additional thank you to you for creating the format, the cgs 85 panel is excellently crafted and the diagram provided really helped make the build painless. I showed it to a paperface friend that is now on the hunt for as much loudest warning that will fit. Can't wait to add more of your designs!
cygmu wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:06 pm

Superb. I really must build a few more of the Slightly Nasty modules. I have absolutely no need and even less space for them but they're lovely! Congratulations on a beautiful first row.
Many Thanks! I'm taking the forced time off work for now to design and cut a case with a couple more rows, thinking a logic panel next and some much needed VCAs. Your input on the forum along with all the other great banana masters definitely inspired me to get started :nana:
SlightlyNasty wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:21 pm

Love it! So glad to see a full system put together and running. There's more stuff coming soon, I promise!

I guess you were one who got that bizzare backwards panel?
Thanks again, the layout and sounds are truly beautiful. Been using it through the FX on a LYRA 8 and the FM is blowing me away. The range on the ASLs is also really wonderful. Need to post a track soon.

Can't wait for more stuff, I've been checking out the website and all the upcoming designs look superb.

Backwards panel was me. Definitely :hmm: for a minute there. Great quality panel ,hoping to make it an attenuator, logic module soon.

sduck

Post by sduck » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:46 am

Ahhh, forced isolation. Things start happening. Here's one. Actually, I finished 2 of these, but haven't quite figured out the color scheme for the second one yet. No need to have them be the same, right?
IMG_4540.JPG

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:13 pm

Love it. I have some of these in my backlog. I think the designs mechanically and electronically are great. You positive comments should get me motivated. You build looks good to me

DEEMARKAY
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DEEMARKAY » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:29 am

Three befaco modules. Even VCO, Hexmix VCA, A*B+C. For the latter two I made my own pcb layouts.
There's a little more background on these in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=3219949#p3219949.

cartertools
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cartertools » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:50 pm

Yet another case completed. Now to fill it up!
case03192003.jpg
case03192002.jpg
case03192001.jpg

Return to “Music Tech DIY”