Neutron sound Dust of Time.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:37 pm

proper panels have arrived. Windows cutouts are tighter so a good number of these will simply snap in
IMG_0979.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Altitude909 on Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 pm

Looks great! I'm really wanting to get one of those to use instead of the one I have - how can I order one? I can't find it on your website (yet) - do I just wait?
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

wery67564
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wery67564 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:07 pm

sduck wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 pm
Looks great! I'm really wanting to get one of those to use instead of the one I have - how can I order one? I can't find it on your website (yet) - do I just wait?
It is on the Michigan Synths site already

sduck

Post by sduck » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:10 pm

So it is! Missed it the first time - thanks for setting me straight! Ordered!

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:48 pm

Nice one, going to order eight of them, just need a heads-up from my boys regarding the window color. Orange looks really nice i think!

BadPixel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BadPixel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:29 am

defalut wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:48 pm
Nice one, going to order eight of them, just need a heads-up from my boys regarding the window color. Orange looks really nice i think!
:hail: :hail:

Also, love the knobs in the pic in the GitHub repo. Where can I find them?

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:29 am

BadPixel wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:29 am
defalut wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:48 pm
:hail: :hail:

Also, love the knobs in the pic in the GitHub repo. Where can I find them?
The plain black ones with small white pointer? Yeah, they´re pretty nice, i might have a few of them in my stash. Have to take it out and compare to see if they are alike.
I usually try to buy my knobs from thonk when i get around to buy something else from them. Since neutron sound is us-based though maybe it´s somewhere closer to home?
They don´t look like anything i see in the thonk knob directory either.. Hmm, would also be interested to know where to find them.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 am

defalut wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:29 am
I usually try to buy my knobs from thonk when i get around to buy something else from them. Since neutron sound is us-based though maybe it´s ..
Neutron = Canada, not USA

I'm in the USA (as the company name implies)

Those knobs are custom made, they are not available at any retailer.

sduck

Post by sduck » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:08 am

Do we need to cut the power trace on the teensy? I'm not up on the differences in teensy 3.6

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:01 pm

sduck wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:08 am
Do we need to cut the power trace on the teensy? I'm not up on the differences in teensy 3.6
Yes, its not required but safer that way. You can murder the SD card if you dont and plug in the USB with it powered

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:46 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 am
defalut wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:29 am
I usually try to buy my knobs from thonk when i get around to buy something else from them. Since neutron sound is us-based though maybe it´s ..
Neutron = Canada, not USA

I'm in the USA (as the company name implies)

Those knobs are custom made, they are not available at any retailer.
Alright, thx for the heads-up. Too bad about the knobs tho, but i´m sure the module will look cool with any. I´m boring myself, will probably use the small rogan knobs with black base and white head for the six center ones. The others just plain black, perhaps with a small white dot. It will look great anyway.

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:45 pm

this is where i'll put the sounds playlist. early ones have a bit crappy sound, sorry!

https://soundcloud.com/neutron7/sets/du ... oscillator

sduck

Post by sduck » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:31 pm

I'm having a very weird time trying to program this teensy. I may have cooked it or something - the led stopped working, although the teensy loader still seem to be working with it, somewhat, although it's also throwing error messages. Big problem is that I can't figure out how to download stuff from github - would it be possible for you to throw the hex and the SD card stuff in a zip file that's a no brainer to download? That would make my life a bit easier.

Also, I'm not happy with my voltages - at the printed on the pcb test points, I'm getting only 3v at the 3.3 point, 10.86 at the 12v point, and -11.09 at the -12v point. The 5v point is 5v. Is this within specs, or is something out of whack?

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Post by whyfarer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:43 am

I'm also struggling to program the teensy. Are you using the teensy loader or teensyduino? It seems like 3.6 should use teensyduino, but I can't load the hex into teensyduino on my mac, or into arduino ide with teensyduino installed on a windows machine. the teensy loader can load in the hex, but it doesn't give me an option to program - only to reboot. I'll check my voltages in the morning and report back

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:05 am

sduck wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:31 pm
..- would it be possible for you to throw the hex and the SD card stuff in a zip file that's a no brainer to download? That would make my life a bit easier.

Also, I'm not happy with my voltages - at the printed on the pcb test points, I'm getting only 3v at the 3.3 point, 10.86 at the 12v point, and -11.09 at the -12v point. The 5v point is 5v. Is this within specs, or is something out of whack?
The sure fire way to download from git hub is to simply go to the root (jakplugg/Neutron-Sound-Dust-of-Time) and hit the clone/download button, it will make a zip of the whole repo and you can just grab the SD card stuff from the directory in the zip.

Your voltages look OK. With PSI power, the 12V rails are going through a bridge rectifier so there will be a drop as a result of the those diodes so youre definitely in the ballpark voltage wise.

One thing that has plagued me with the 3.6 implementations is making sure I stuff ALL the headers for the uC, if there are holes in the PCB, it gets a header connecting to the teensy, those are not optional. I attached a pic of the jig I use for the headers, you need all those.

Also worth mentioning: If you cut the power trace on the teensy, the board has to be powered to load code to it. Teensy loader is the only software you need to upload code, you do NOT need the IDE unless you want to compile it yourself and even then, teensyduino just uses teensyloader to upload that code anyway.

If you are having code upload issues, take the teensy out, jump the power if you cut it and just upload the code without the DOT attached. If that works, you have a hardware issue with your build that needs tracking down
IMG_0994.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sduck

Post by sduck » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:23 am

Thanks for all of the advice! Although I had most of that covered, I'm sure it will help others also. I've often been vexed with downloading things from github - it's not always the easiest thing to do, but downloading it all zipped worked great. Pulled out the teensy, jumpered the two pins that connect to those cut power traces, switched to using a usb cable that's NOT going through my hub, used the teensy loader and the newly downloaded hex, and it loaded right up. Put it back on the DOT, and now I'm getting sounds - yay! Still have to install the screen so i know what I'm doing. Thanks!

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:37 am

So just a quick note regarding the pots on the device. The board is laid out for the click pots which has a pretty smallish footprint. Its VERY specific due to those parts construction. To get standard 9mm pots in there, you will need to bend all the legs in a bit to get them to fit right. Probably not a bad idea to use the panel as a guide so everything lines up correctly.

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Post by whyfarer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:03 pm

Here are my voltages:
Test pointObserved
3.3A2.99
3.3D3.00
+55.03
+1210.99
-12-11.20
After I load the firmware and reboot the board, should I still be getting a teensy led still be slow blinking after a reboot? I'm not getting any sound and my screen isn't turning on - but I'm not convinced I've uploaded the hex file.
Nvm. I just got it to program by turning on the auto option in the teensy loader. I was never presented with an option to program the teensy when after I hit the reset button, but with auto engaged it started programming right after the reset button was pressed. Off to test!
Last edited by whyfarer on Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Post by whyfarer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:47 pm

And it seems to be fully functional! Now to work through and grok the manual. :hyper:
IMG_20200328_162931.jpg
Thanks for the help and making these available Altitude909.
Altitude909 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:37 am
So just a quick note regarding the pots on the device. The board is laid out for the click pots which has a pretty smallish footprint. Its VERY specific due to those parts construction. To get standard 9mm pots in there, you will need to bend all the legs in a bit to get them to fit right. Probably not a bad idea to use the panel as a guide so everything lines up correctly.
Yup. I had to bin the 3pins back towards the center of the pot, and I straightened out and bent inwards the pot's locating legs. I've tried to show this in this next picture:
IMG_20200328_132143.jpg
Also, note that my screen ended up resting on the switches and the plastic on the screen header was not flush against the pcb. I had a screen lying around so I'm not sure if this was my specific parts or if the standard parts will be like this too. So, my suggestion is solder the screen after the switches to be safe.
IMG_20200328_132232.jpg

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Post by whyfarer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:49 pm

deleted

sduck

Post by sduck » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:36 pm

I used a little header thing to attach the screen, and used small nylon standoffs to hold it level. You'll want to cut down the leads on the screen if you do this.
IMG_2429.JPG
If you finesse it right, it'll be close to the screen, but not quite touching
IMG_9507.JPG
And yes, the buttons are really close - I carved little bits of the screen backing away so there would be adequate clearance. (be really careful if you do this, as the actual glass part of the screen is really fragile)

And it works! But I don't have a presentable front panel yet - I messed mine up in a superglue accident, so waiting on a replacement.
IMG_8058.JPG

sduck

Post by sduck » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:59 pm

So, what's the deal with the sd card? How should it be formatted, and should the PRESET and STWE folders be at root, or inside a folder or something? Apparently I can't load any presets currently, or I'm using the wrong set of button press guesses. I've tried exfat and fat32 format with no luck.

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:12 am

The sd folder on github is equivelant to the root. STWE and PRESET should be folders in the root, with waveedit and patch files in them.

STWE has waveedit files, they should be as saved from waveedit, but named 1.wav 2.wav etc. you can test that is working in mode screen, switch left encoder till it says “WE” then click right encoder to switch to wave selection, you will see the underscore move on the screen, turning the encoder should load different wavetables. I noticed quite a few of the online waveedit files have a few standard synth waveforms at the end of the table, i think its a PPG thing. they can be quite annoying when playing waveedit files in the “smp” method.

PRESET contains patch files. unlike waveedit files, they are named and created by the module itself. they are 8.3 filenames with only uppercase characters, numbers, and a handful of special characters. no file extension. please do not put files with long names in this folder. there will be a delete function, and deleting a short filename (FILENA~1) version of a long filename causes problems with the FAT32 filesystem and SDfat library. preset files are exactly 1024 bytes.

to name and create a new preset(0.8.1 or later): Press the sys button. (press turn left encoder if you come to a different screen) the preset list should appear. press the left screen button, it toggles between load and save. it will say the name of the last preset loaded or ABCDEFGH you can scroll through the letters with the left encoder, and change them with the right (think arcade high score name) if the same filename already exists, “exists!” will flash so you know you are overwriting something. press right button to save. sometimes it throws you to a different screen when you save (annoying bug!) but if you come back to load/save screen your new preset should be on the list.

there may be other folders called INIT and SAMPLE at some point.

t-b
Learning to Wiggle

Post by t-b » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:38 am

!ordered :sb:

sduck

Post by sduck » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:09 am

Ok, I still can't get anything to load from the sd card. Maybe I fried it (the card reader) while i was messing with it. Fortunately I've got another teensy on the way, it'll be relatively easy to replace it.

I'm getting this kind of thing pop up whenever I start the device and when I try to choose anything from the sd card -
IMG_7638.JPG

Return to “Music Tech DIY”