Neutron sound Dust of Time.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

BadPixel
Common Wiggler

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by BadPixel » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:52 am

Thank you for explaining why :tu: Realized I have to re-stock some of the components so I might as well get the right caps.

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:08 am

Schematic and link to iBom added to Github https://github.com/jakplugg/Neutron-Sou ... 3_rsVeZpys

BadPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by BadPixel » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:07 am

Neutron7 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:08 am
Schematic and link to iBom added to Github https://github.com/jakplugg/Neutron-Sou ... 3_rsVeZpys
Awesome :tu: Cheers!!

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:58 pm

I reckon there might be too much going on under the hood in this one for this to work, but anyway - would there be any way to add a "randomize all" feature to this somehow? Like just press a button and all parameters on it are randomized. I always like using that as a sort of starting point with a lot of synths/modules. :)

Also, for all euro folks, Schneidersladen has it in stock now, I just ordered one. :)

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:32 pm

0.9.6D uploaded on the FB page, it includes a setting in the config page to offset "zero" when the aux outputs are set to envelopes or gates, you will need a scope or multi-meter though!

Also a new stereo transform alternative to detuning, It is called "Haas" which adds a short delay on the left or right channel depending on position.

Haas: https://soundcloud.com/neutron7/dust-of ... -transform
Last edited by Neutron7 on Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:45 pm

Quincas has made a nice build video!

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:05 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:58 pm
I reckon there might be too much going on under the hood in this one for this to work, but anyway - would there be any way to add a "randomize all" feature to this somehow? Like just press a button and all parameters on it are randomized. I always like using that as a sort of starting point with a lot of synths/modules. :)

Also, for all euro folks, Schneidersladen has it in stock now, I just ordered one. :)
I have thought about this, it is in the list of possible post 1.0 additions.

there is even an unused shift button that could be used!

It should not be impossible to do, or even use much memory(which is getting short!)

patches from the SD card or internal EEPROM are loaded in to a patch buffer and checked to make sure the values are not out of range before being loaded in to the live control arrays, i should be able to generate random control values using the "check" values to determine the range of random numbers.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:35 am

Neutron7 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:05 pm
Daisuk wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:58 pm

I have thought about this, it is in the list of possible post 1.0 additions.

there is even an unused shift button that could be used!

It should not be impossible to do, or even use much memory(which is getting short!)

patches from the SD card or internal EEPROM are loaded in to a patch buffer and checked to make sure the values are not out of range before being loaded in to the live control arrays, i should be able to generate random control values using the "check" values to determine the range of random numbers.
Nice! That would be awesome! Seems like a perfect module for a randomize all feature. :)

Unit: E
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Unit: E » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:47 am

Am I completely missing something? I can't for the life of me get the internal EG to work. I plug a gate into Gate 1 and Cv into the V/Oct and get a drone that changes ptich. I know there are 4 internal Envelope Generators but I can't get any of them to be applied to the OSC. When I go to Output, the VCA just has THRU underneath and doesn't let me change that. Anyone able to help me out?
Last edited by Unit: E on Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:21 am

Unit: E wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:47 am
Am I completely missing something? I can't for the life of me get the internal EG to work. I plug a gate into Gate 1 and Cv into thre V/Oct and get a drone that changes ptich. I know there are 4 internal Envelope Generators but I cant't get any of them to be applied to the OSC. When I go to Output, the VCA just has THRU underneath and doesn't let me change that. Anyone able to help me out?
there is a shift-shortcut to bypass the output VCA, if you press and hold the sys button then press I/O it will re-enable what ever you have selected on the I/O routing page

Learning to Wiggle

Post by Unit: E » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Hey!
Thanks for the reply. Doing this will give me an envelope on the output? I'm trying to slowly go through the manual and understand it all but I might be too new to modular to fully understand some of the functions. I appreciate your help and for building my module! I'll keep digging into it.

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:51 pm

If you want an envelope on an aux output, there is a page in "I/O" that lets you assign any modulation source or gate to the 2 aux outputs independently of whether they are being used by the output VCA.

Learning to Wiggle

Post by Unit: E » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Neutron7 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:51 pm
If you want an envelope on an aux output, there is a page in "I/O" that lets you assign any modulation source or gate to the 2 aux outputs independently of whether they are being used by the output VCA.
Would this method send the 2 Oscillators through an envelope to control the DADSR of the audio output L and R, or do I need to assign one of the four EGs to the output VCA? I can't seem to get it to do that.
Sorry for the remedial question. I appreciate your time. This seems to be the main hurdle I need to pass to start exploring the rest of the module.

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:19 pm

If you want to use the internal VCAs and control it with 1 of the envelopes, (one envelope controls both stereo channels VCA)

1: press and hold the "sys" button and make sure it says "vca use" on the top row, if it says "vca thru" press the I/O button while sys is pressed to change it.
2: assign one of the envelopes to the VCA on the output page of I/O
3: make sure there is a gate or MIDI note-on to trigger the envelope you are using, if there is not it will not sound. you can assign a gate-bus to envelopes by turning past the end of "release" you will see 4 boxes appear, set it to the top one. you can assign what gates control what gate-bus with the gate matrix I/O page.

Learning to Wiggle

Post by Unit: E » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:44 pm

I got it! Thank you so much! Now... time to dive in. Geez, there is a lot going on in this module....

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:25 pm

Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:44 pm
I got it! Thank you so much! Now... time to dive in. Geez, there is a lot going on in this module....
Haha, tell me about it. Got mine today and can't even figure out how to route sound to the two outputs. :lol: It's not exactly intuitive, but that's not really why I got it. Need to dig into the manual tomorrow.

NeolithicElectrophones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:52 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:25 pm
Haha, tell me about it. Got mine today and can't even figure out how to route sound to the two outputs. :lol: It's not exactly intuitive, but that's not really why I got it. Need to dig into the manual tomorrow.
It takes a little while to get a hang of, but man is it worth it!

I'm sure You'll figure out the output routing from a manual read, but just in case anyone wants a quick guide: Press the i/o button once, it should come up as a pic of the internal routing circuit. Navigate to the box with the left encoder with the heading VCA control and switch it from env to ON with the right encoder. Or if you have click pots, press the right encoder down to toggle between Auto, envelope and ON. Should now be droning.

Learning to Wiggle

Post by Unit: E » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:43 pm

I am absolutely loving the DOT! The mod section is bonkers. Also, modulating the envelope sections produces some crazy results.

2:30 in has the DOT come in. Its the sequenced arp ring. I played a 1/4 arp with the LPK25 and captured the sequence on the Hermod. Then I added a 1/32 arp to the sequence notes. Ran both L&R outputs through the Pico DSP reverb setting and the left output then was sent into the Tapographic Delay.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:59 am

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:52 pm
Daisuk wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:25 pm
It takes a little while to get a hang of, but man is it worth it!

I'm sure You'll figure out the output routing from a manual read, but just in case anyone wants a quick guide: Press the i/o button once, it should come up as a pic of the internal routing circuit. Navigate to the box with the left encoder with the heading VCA control and switch it from env to ON with the right encoder. Or if you have click pots, press the right encoder down to toggle between Auto, envelope and ON. Should now be droning.
Ah, nice, thanks a lot! :) One thing I can't find any info on in the manual - how do you assign the input CVs A-D to anything? I keep finding places here and there where I can scroll to assign a CV, but is there not "centralised" menu item of sorts where you can just scroll through what available parameters CV in A can modulate, for instance? If not - that would be a much welcomed feature! :)

Really love combining two waveedit files and mangling around with that in this thing. It sounds great. :mrgreen:

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:51 pm

If you look at anything with a mod source selector, (the selection list of envelopes lfos, etc) the CVs are in the list,

note that CV A and B are "faster" they are samples 20000 times a second, while C and D are only sampled 2000 times a second.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:59 pm

Neutron7 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:51 pm
If you look at anything with a mod source selector, (the selection list of envelopes lfos, etc) the CVs are in the list,

note that CV A and B are "faster" they are samples 20000 times a second, while C and D are only sampled 2000 times a second.
Nice! Thanks a lot for the info. :)

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:27 am

Hint: if you want to use a CV to control the "amount" of an internal modulator (like how a mod wheel works) use a "fuser" modulator with the function set to "mult(vca)" with one source set to the modulator you want to use, and the other to the CV you want to use.

whyfarer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whyfarer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:09 am

Neutron7 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:27 am
Hint: if you want to use a CV to control the "amount" of an internal modulator (like how a mod wheel works) use a "fuser" modulator with the function set to "mult(vca)" with one source set to the modulator you want to use, and the other to the CV you want to use.
Makes sense, but thanks for the pointer! :goo: Reading all this is helping me to wrap my brain around this little monster

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:28 am

Neutron7 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:27 am
Nice! Thanks for the tip. The fusers are really cool! I'm slowly wrapping my head around this thing. Is the resonance fx the equivalent to the delay fx in the Orgone Accumulator? Really love the delay in the OA. :)

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:22 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:28 am

Nice! Thanks for the tip. The fusers are really cool! I'm slowly wrapping my head around this thing. Is the resonance fx the equivalent to the delay fx in the Orgone Accumulator? Really love the delay in the OA. :)
it is similar, but has a filter in the feedback, and can be pitched (quite crudely) you press the right screen button so the ramp icon appears, then it will follow the pitch (but can not go very low or high) like a really crappy rings. try it with a noise oscillator to hear the effect. that reminds me i have to fix that up a little because the lenght control stops working when you do that, but should become an offset.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”