Neutron sound Dust of Time.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
attacca
Common Wiggler
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:11 am
Location: the frigid north

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by attacca » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:49 pm

deleted: double post

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3571
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:38 am

attacca wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:48 pm
..

.

Thanks for the Panel/PCBs btw. I saw that you did a Miasma build before, can you recommend a place to get PCBs done in low quantity? What about panels? I haven't done that part of DIY stuff yet.
JLC for both the panel and PCB. Get a 2mm panel, not the stock 1.6mm thick.

I had a lot of problems with Miasama, I cant say I would recommend anything that guy does. There were a lot of show stopping errors on the files he released, IDK if that's been fixed but I highly recommend you go over EVERYTHING in that forum before building one.

User avatar
glennfin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 687
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Contact:

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by glennfin » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:13 am

Hey!!! It's a Christmas miracle!. My DOT works!! I just completed the build, just waiting on the stereo jack from "Meesheegan" and I will bolt down the front panel, add the buttons and window. Just ran a quick test... amazing sounds coming out of this thing!. Guess I didn't fry U7 after all :hihi: Can't wait to explore more! 8-) 8-)
DUST OF TIME.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
WarpHead
Common Wiggler
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:15 am
Location: Europe

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by WarpHead » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:16 pm

I just received a clickpot DoT and am beyond excited to dive in! :love: :yay:

I have one quick Q and one shameless suggestion/question regarding the firmware and stereo oscs.

1) What are the power requirements? Haven't found anything in the manual, here or in the reddit post.

2) Is (or would) it (be) possible to use one of the cv inputs as an additional v/oct input, effectively making it a duophonic vco? This would make DoT immensely powerful and essentially a stereo duophonic voice with all sorts of stereo modulation possibilities. Perhaps a further option could be programmed to make the outputs two mono-aural outputs (eg two discrete mono voices, each with independent pitch), adding further flexibility for processing later in the chain. Although a duophonic stereo oscillator (keeping the current l/r outputs) would be immense! I'm salivating at the possibilities of stereo modulating both oscs in DoT while sending it two v/oct signals to create all sort of intervals in the stereofield and wavescanning/wavemodulating. :hyper:

Sorry if these are redundant or stupid questions. My knowledge is limited and I didn't read anything regarding this while going over the manual on google docs.

Can't wait to explore it all weekend!
Don't believe the hype.

User avatar
attacca
Common Wiggler
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:11 am
Location: the frigid north

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by attacca » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:16 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:38 am
attacca wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:48 pm
..

.

Thanks for the Panel/PCBs btw. I saw that you did a Miasma build before, can you recommend a place to get PCBs done in low quantity? What about panels? I haven't done that part of DIY stuff yet.
JLC for both the panel and PCB. Get a 2mm panel, not the stock 1.6mm thick.

I had a lot of problems with Miasama, I cant say I would recommend anything that guy does. There were a lot of show stopping errors on the files he released, IDK if that's been fixed but I highly recommend you go over EVERYTHING in that forum before building one.
Thanks for the tips and advice, very much appreciated.

User avatar
Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:37 am
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by Naenyn » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:35 am

Just wanted to report back... I received my DoT from MSW yesterday. I’m happy to say it looks and works great and has exceeded my expectations by far. Based on the videos I saw, I was figuring it would sound pretty good, but be a bit fiddly with all the menus. Now having spent a little time with it.... it sounds amazing and is actually pretty fast to navigate. It has just the right amount of menu-diveyness for me.

Can’t wait to see how it evolves as the firmware is improved. I also need to spend some time figuring out how to make and add my own wavetables.
-n :ninja:

My FOR SALE thread
My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

User avatar
Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper
Posts: 1968
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 12:24 pm

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by Neutron7 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:47 pm

WarpHead wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:16 pm
I just received a clickpot DoT and am beyond excited to dive in! :love: :yay:

I have one quick Q and one shameless suggestion/question regarding the firmware and stereo oscs.

1) What are the power requirements? Haven't found anything in the manual, here or in the reddit post.

2) Is (or would) it (be) possible to use one of the cv inputs as an additional v/oct input, effectively making it a duophonic vco? This would make DoT immensely powerful and essentially a stereo duophonic voice with all sorts of stereo modulation possibilities. Perhaps a further option could be programmed to make the outputs two mono-aural outputs (eg two discrete mono voices, each with independent pitch), adding further flexibility for processing later in the chain. Although a duophonic stereo oscillator (keeping the current l/r outputs) would be immense! I'm salivating at the possibilities of stereo modulating both oscs in DoT while sending it two v/oct signals to create all sort of intervals in the stereofield and wavescanning/wavemodulating. :hyper:

Sorry if these are redundant or stupid questions. My knowledge is limited and I didn't read anything regarding this while going over the manual on google docs.

Can't wait to explore it all weekend!
The CV could be used as a v/oct but the range will be reduced and not as precise because the v/oct input uses different circuit, maybe it could be selected on the pitch modulation page.

power is about 70-80 mA on +12v depending on how many white pixels there are on the screen, and about -25mA.

Sugarwolf
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:50 pm

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by Sugarwolf » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:18 am

I just bought one of these and it truly is a great module. This is such a unique oscillator and plays super nice with the Qpas and Mimeophon. I cannot recommend this enough it's incredible sounding.

User avatar
WarpHead
Common Wiggler
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:15 am
Location: Europe

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by WarpHead » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:22 pm

Neutron7 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:47 pm
WarpHead wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:16 pm
I just received a clickpot DoT and am beyond excited to dive in! :love: :yay:
Snip
The CV could be used as a v/oct but the range will be reduced and not as precise because the v/oct input uses different circuit, maybe it could be selected on the pitch modulation page.

power is about 70-80 mA on +12v depending on how many white pixels there are on the screen, and about -25mA.
Thanks!

Would be cool to have an option to experiment with an additional pitch cv input, even if it is understandably less precise. Or maybe it could go through the/an internal quantizer/grid - which could perhaps alleviate some of the imprecision of the cv input.

In any case, what an amazing module - having heaps of fun. :yay:
Don't believe the hype.

snowtires
Common Wiggler
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:58 pm

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by snowtires » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:59 pm

Speaking of firmware, any updates in the works? Or maybe a manual for the current firmware?

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:47 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by aabbcc » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:41 am

So I found two kits for this when doing some cleaning.

Is there a up to date mouser/digikey cart for this or do I need to make my own? I tried looking for the BOM that has the mouser part number in them but cant find one in the git repo? Probably about time I get around to building these lol...

EDIT: Found this one: can someone confirm this is the latest/official one?

User avatar
Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3571
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Meesheegan

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:24 am

Thats the official one. I havent recently looked at whats in and what isnt in stock but there really isnt anything specific needed, any equivalent spec parts will be fine

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”