Neutron sound Dust of Time.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by Neutron7 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:46 am

Maybe it has the wrong format? I have just used a fresh card as it came from the factory. according to the sdfat library it should be fat32/fat16 smaller cards might be formatted with fat12 which will not work, and having multiple partitions on the card is not supported.

latigid on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by latigid on » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:47 am

+1, try reformatting on the computer.

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:53 am

I should make it a bit cleverer and still work, but disable selecting waveedit files / patches if it can’t find any.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:16 pm

Ok, got it working. On my mac, I used UNTITLED as the name, fat32, Master Boot Record for the format. Copied the files, then used Eject for Windows when ejecting the drive (not sure if that makes a difference, but maybe). And no error messages, it seems to load things fine. And I can load presets and wav files, sort of - new problem - now my wavefile display is a flat line. And no sound. Or no line and no sound, depending on what algorithm I've selected. With the card in there or not. Is there some kind of master reset?

I've tried reprogramming the teensy, tried it with and without the card, turning all the knobs, nothing. Just a flat line.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:12 pm

1A2A2C0D-ECDD-49F6-BCC6-15FA062D1AA1.jpeg
If you loaded a patch that is using the vca (all of mine, i think) either input MIDI or a gate with v/octave, or switch to the “out vca” screen (press i/o button, press-turn left encoder if necessary) then select the vca control, (box that says envelope or gate name), change it to “on” which bypasses the output vca.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:23 pm

i have no INIT yet, its on the list!

sduck

Post by sduck » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:43 pm

Thanks, that got it going again - squiggly lines are back! And yes, an INIT preset would be a good idea.

Yet another question - what should the values be in the calibration section? I changed them around while trying to get things going.

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:37 pm

For “cal” adjust until inputting octaves on the v/oct doubles the frequency, then you can adjust the cent and semitone (if necessary) so A=440. don’t forget to save!

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:41 pm

The idea for init, is as well as an init preset, make a long press on any button init just that section, for instance long pressing fx would set them all to “none” and set the mod sources to “off”. long pressing a pot(or pot button) would remove modulation from that parameter. for now, there is nothing stopping you from creating a basic unmodulated preset and calling it INIT!

KittenVillage
Common Wiggler

Post by KittenVillage » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:46 pm

I finished mine last night and I've been playing with it all day. I'm still not sure what the icons on the OSC page do. The interface is a little inconsistent, visually, but I'm aware it's being worked on and in development. I think screenshots of each page should end up in the manual eventually.

I also wish I could change an oscillator without turning the mix over and hearing it.

I love what I've gotten out of this today. I think if you can build a uOC you can build this.

I posted on the facebook group about my build experience and I see the same discussion was happening here...

I soldered the male header pins on the teensy while I had the female header in and everything sitting in place on the pcb, and it went so smooth. Then I put the teensy on after I got the jacks and pots in place. Also cut a pin on a 5 pin female header so there was only one single pin to worry about. (I flashed the teensy then cut the trace and installed it.) You shouldn't put the male header on and then the female header on! Keep them together, there's enough space on the PCB to put the teensy on at the end of the build, after the jacks and pots, but before the screen.
20200328_131556.jpg
I've built 3 uOCs and a uTU and this was the most painless teensy experience yet.

Getting the display in is tricky, M2 hardware is best as the display pcb sits above the tact switch body. I used a 10mm M2.5 screw here with a plastic nut, and M2.5 circular spacer (same spacer as specified in the uOC bom, I think.) An M2.5 6mm hex standoff would not fit here. You can't see it, but at the bottom of the screen I have 2 M3 6mm plastic standoffs, but I had to cut them into half-hexagons to get them to fit with the lower tact switches. So I made what I had work. Then I used my thumbs at the bottom edge of the screen to make sure the screen was centered properly with the panel in a test fit. I think I may have carefully spent an hour and a half on getting the screen right overall. Plastic nuts and spacers! You will be right up against the tact switches.
20200329_121005.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

BadPixel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BadPixel » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:04 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 am
Those knobs are custom made, they are not available at any retailer.
:waah: :waah: Too bad. They look awesome :tu:

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:18 am

KittenVillage wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:46 pm

I also wish I could change an oscillator without turning the mix over and hearing it.

I sort of thought someone might want that, How about pressing the osc button again toggles a “blind mode” that switches the side being edited, with something like “editing 2 >” flashing on top of the scope trace if you are listening to osc 1 but want to change osc2. and
“< editing 1” if you are listening to 2 and want to change osc 1. pressing it once again would switch back to normal.

OSC MODE SCREEN ICONS

the icons on the bottom left indicate osc reset on gate mode, It can be changed with the left screen button. icon with no box around it means free running, one box means always reset on gate (best use with vca on, or it can click when the wave jumps to zero) and 2 boxes mean that it is “auto” it only resets when whatever is controlling the output VCA out is at zero. say you have 2 notes close together and the release has not finished, it wont reset. if next note is farther away and the envelope has finished, then the reset will happen.

The right screen button controls the icon that looks like a little rectangle or ramp, that only appears for some osc modes, turns on pitch following on part of the oscillator algorithm, for example OA “fix” has the pitch of the parameter 1 part fixed when the rectangle shows, producing a sort of fixed filter sound, and follows the pitch when the ramp shows.

pressing the left encoder changes the scope to a XY scribble.

on the next version to be released today or tomorrow, up to 6 little triangles can appear on top of the scope display. these correspond to the 6 pots, and tell you they are set to the levels in the patch that was loaded, and not the same as the actual pot
level. the direction of the triangle tells you which way you have to turn it to “catch”. you can see the catch in more detail by pressing the pot’s button.

sduck

Post by sduck » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:49 pm

Here's this one -
DSC08411-2.jpg
I'm not a big fan of these knobs, but they work and I have a ton of them.

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:41 am

Beautiful design Neutron and beautiful build, sduck.

sduck

Post by sduck » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:31 pm

I added my build to modulargrid - hopefully someone will do a more official version once it's out.
DSC08418.jpg

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:46 pm

Here is a video where you can sort of see some of the way things work when my hand isn't in the way of the screen !

sduck

Post by sduck » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:50 pm

Just as I suspected - this thing can only play one note. What a ripoff! Why I oughta...

(just kidding it sounds amazing!)

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:32 am

sduck wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:50 pm
Just as I suspected - this thing can only play one note. What a ripoff! Why I oughta...

(just kidding it sounds amazing!)
this reminds me of the KVR users posting comments on $100,000 moog modular videos
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

MindStasis
Common Wiggler

Post by MindStasis » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:10 am

Hey guys, will these pots work?
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/AL ... fUrZdf0%3D

mouser is sold out of the ones on the BOM and these were the closest I could find.

Looks like Thonk isn't shipping because of coronavirus. Anywhere else we could pick those jacks up?

sduck

Post by sduck » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:32 am

MindStasis wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:10 am
I don't see why not - just refer to whyfarer's post a page back about the need to squeeze things in a bit to get normal pots to work.

About jacks - I don't know, I just used what i had, sorry.

whyfarer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whyfarer » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:01 pm

MindStasis wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:10 am

mouser is sold out of the ones on the BOM and these were the closest I could find.

Looks like Thonk isn't shipping because of coronavirus. Anywhere else we could pick those jacks up?
I don't often purchase here, but those stereo jacks are hard to find:
https://store.synthrotek.com/35mm-Stere ... p_761.html

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:37 am

I'll make the stereo jacks available in the shop. I have enough
https://michigansynthworks.com/collecti ... 3-5mm-jack

RK09 will NOT work, they have an M9 collar and IDK if they will fit correctly.

Smallbear carries the right alpha pots (they are closed unfortunately) but here are some alternates:

Synthcube: https://synthcube.com/cart/synth-diy/pa ... ound-shaft

MA: https://modularaddict.com/parts/potentiometers-1

t-b
Learning to Wiggle

Post by t-b » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:30 pm

ahhh i forgot to order one stereo jack with the board :/

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:42 am

Hi,

Today i was learning how to use the module, while playing it crashed.
I have restarted it and im not getting any sound out.
I have reinstalled the firmware and powered it again, and worked ok
Now its crashed again. If i upload new firmare, there is still no output sound :(
The screen, controls and module seems to be working.
I do have a an arrow on the lcd on the left side. If i press the button on the bottom left it changes to two arrows or one arrow inside little boxes.
Anything obvious im missing?
Thanks

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:01 am

Sorry, is there any way to reset to factory?
I think the module is loading some setting that is preventing sound (hopefully)
Cheers

Return to “Music Tech DIY”