Neutron sound Dust of Time.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

NeolithicElectrophones
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:08 pm

Ordered from you last night Altitude909. Thanks for checking in and making things clear about the situation by e-mail. Figured either way i'd just measure and cut some new windows or 3d print some hole covers. Can't believe people are giving you grief.

And of course thanks for making this available, very much appreciated, your work is outstanding, can't wait to get on this when some backlog is cleared.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:22 pm

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:08 pm
..Can't believe people are giving you grief...
They're not. I tend to speak in hyperbole. More than 1 person has asked = torches and pitchforks

NeolithicElectrophones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:47 pm

lol got it. From other DIY complaints about minor stuff on here, I had a Frankenstein scene in my head.

evasporque
Common Wiggler

Post by evasporque » Fri May 01, 2020 2:56 pm

Here is a quick audio sample...very simple and short...I am moving through the menus slowly...I will say the stereo twin oscillators are really lush when you let air do the mixing and keep the stereo audio path intact as much as possible. I am experimenting with a patch now will post later...THough I am lacking patch cables to take advantage of the stereo path directly when patched with another oscillator...(something to fix....more stereo pairs in the outboard mixer) I see a trend with oscillators become more complex incorporating VCAs, ENVs, LFO,s, mixers and stereo pairing internally, it all is pushing the envelop of performance mixing requirements.

selfdestroyer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by selfdestroyer » Mon May 04, 2020 5:35 pm

Ok I feel really dumb asking this, I have only made 2 oscillators in the past and I am having a stupid time trying to wrap my head around calibrating them. I have the tools but don't know exactly how to use them for the task at hand. DMM, oscilloscope, quantizer ect..

Can someone please tell me how I calibrate my DOT properly.

I get confused what to set the "note" to when calibrating.. is 0v C4 or am I really overthinking this?
My DIY / Music Blog They Remain Silent

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon May 04, 2020 5:52 pm

selfdestroyer wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:35 pm
Ok I feel really dumb asking this, I have only made 2 oscillators in the past and I am having a stupid time trying to wrap my head around calibrating them. I have the tools but don't know exactly how to use them for the task at hand. DMM, oscilloscope, quantizer ect..

Can someone please tell me how I calibrate my DOT properly.

I get confused what to set the "note" to when calibrating.. is 0v C4 or am I really overthinking this?
Its simple with the update (91) zero out all the numbers (they default to -127). To set the span, you'll only use the CAL parameter. Send 1V then press the lower right button on the left side. This will set the "multiple", then send 2, 3, or 4 volts noting that multiple number, it should be doubling with every 1V sent. Go as high as you want (I go 4V) then adjust the CAL parameter so its as close to "800" as possible, go back to 1V, press the lower right button again to zero the multiplier, go to 4V adjust to as close to 800 as you can. Repeat till it doubles for every 1V. It should take one or two adjustments from my experience.

To set the root note, send exactly 4.75V and adjust the parameter below CAL (OCT? I dont have a built one here atm) until the FREQ shows 440 Hz, thats middle A.

Worth mentioning that what Voltage A4 is arbitrary, Jim picked the Circlon implementation so that's what it is.

selfdestroyer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by selfdestroyer » Mon May 04, 2020 7:09 pm

Thanks Altitude909 for the help.

Just to be clear, because I am still having some issues.

I am using O&C References to supply the 1v to the V/OCT input on the DOT. I have zeroed out all the calibration menu options. I'm having a hard time understanding what "press the lower right button on the left side" is. Do you mean the Hz button?

lightworks
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lightworks » Mon May 04, 2020 7:19 pm

Any European distributors getting this PCBs soon? Thonk maybe?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon May 04, 2020 7:37 pm

selfdestroyer wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:09 pm

I am using O&C References to supply the 1v to the V/OCT input on the DOT. I have zeroed out all the calibration menu options. I'm having a hard time understanding what "press the lower right button on the left side" is. Do you mean the Hz button?
Hz is the lower left, the unmarked one is the lower right one left side (4 buttons one each side of the screen)

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon May 04, 2020 7:38 pm

lightworks wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:19 pm
Any European distributors getting this PCBs soon? Thonk maybe?
No, I'm the only dealer for these at this time.

MindStasis
Common Wiggler

Post by MindStasis » Mon May 04, 2020 7:42 pm

Just finished this, trying to figure it out. Is it normal for a lot of the modes to be really quiet compared to the basic waveforms?

selfdestroyer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by selfdestroyer » Tue May 05, 2020 1:35 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:37 pm
selfdestroyer wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:09 pm

Hz is the lower left, the unmarked one is the lower right one left side (4 buttons one each side of the screen)
Ok that made sense now.. Also I found I was not running 9.1 since it was not in the Github repository.. just 9.0. I ended up joining the Facebook Group and grabing 9.2 from there and it was smooth sailing from there. Thanks again for the help.

LSuveg1
Common Wiggler

Post by LSuveg1 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:57 pm

Is there a recommended substitute for the rotary encoders? Neither mouser nor digikey have them right now.

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Fri May 08, 2020 6:21 am

MindStasis wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:42 pm
Just finished this, trying to figure it out. Is it normal for a lot of the modes to be really quiet compared to the basic waveforms?
some of them are quieter at some point in the parameters, for example waveedit files you might end up on a quiet part of the wavetable, or with noise LP there is a “filter” on parameter 1 which can be completely closed and be silent.

try exploring with the 2 parameters on each mode so you learn what they do over their range.

LSuveg1
Common Wiggler

Post by LSuveg1 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:15 am

Good morning - making progress on my build but have a few questions holding me up:
  • I have two of these encoders( https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/65 ... -4225F-S24 ) lying around; are they an appropriate substitute for this build? They're 24 detent, and the one linked in the BOM is 20 (and sold out). I'm unsure if that screws up the menu navigation.
  • Can I use a ferrite bead for L2, or is the 33uH inductor needed?
  • There are sixteen .1uF 0805 caps in the mouser cart; I want to confirm that those are for line 44 of the iBOM (B1 : B17, with a few missing values in between; the iBOM only has 14 of these caps. and they are supposed to be 0805, right?).
I imagine the original BOM (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =100086201) was the source of the mouser cart, and maybe things changed since then. I should have compared the Mouser cart in this thread and the original BOM to the iBOM a little more closely!

Sorry for the deluge of questions, and thanks!

KittenVillage
Common Wiggler

Post by KittenVillage » Tue May 12, 2020 10:57 am

The iBoM lists all 16 .1uF caps, but in 2 places! Edit: And from memory they should be 0805 like in the spreadsheet.

LSuveg1
Common Wiggler

Post by LSuveg1 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:44 am

Thanks, KittenVillage. Now just awaiting answers to the rest, if anyone can help!

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:24 pm

LSuveg1 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:15 am
Good morning - making progress on my build but have a few questions holding me up:
  • I have two of these encoders( https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/65 ... -4225F-S24 ) lying around; are they an appropriate substitute for this build? They're 24 detent, and the one linked in the BOM is 20 (and sold out). I'm unsure if that screws up the menu navigation.
  • Can I use a ferrite bead for L2, or is the 33uH inductor needed?
  • There are sixteen .1uF 0805 caps in the mouser cart; I want to confirm that those are for line 44 of the iBOM (B1 : B17, with a few missing values in between; the iBOM only has 14 of these caps. and they are supposed to be 0805, right?).
I imagine the original BOM (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =100086201) was the source of the mouser cart, and maybe things changed since then. I should have compared the Mouser cart in this thread and the original BOM to the iBOM a little more closely!

Sorry for the deluge of questions, and thanks!
encoders should be OK It will be slightly "faster" and might be reversed, I will add a reverse encoder option in the firmware on an upcoming firmware version.

L2 is part of a "pi filter" that is supposed to keep noise from the recom regulator from getting back to the analog section and possibly your system power, it will work with a bead, but i don't know if it would cause more noise.

"B" capacitors are 0.1 "B"ypass this was a "clever" thing i had on something I made ages ago that got copied over and over. sorry for the laziness and confusion. and they are all 805.

That jack will work but you will need to modify it, you can completely cut off the ground tab, and somehow make those "wire hole" tabs fit in the PCB holes, keep in mind the jack is shorter then a thonk one, so just cutting off the round bit might leave a stub that might be too short. maybe solder some short wires?

LSuveg1
Common Wiggler

Post by LSuveg1 » Wed May 13, 2020 2:50 pm

Thanks for clarifying - looking forward to getting this up and running!

MindStasis
Common Wiggler

Post by MindStasis » Thu May 14, 2020 2:09 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know how freaking cool this module is.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu May 14, 2020 4:32 pm

LSuveg1 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:15 am
I used one of those - you need to (carefully) mod the leads to fit, and cut off the ground tab, but electrically it's correct. It's a bit lower if installed to the deck - my solution was to just skip the mounting bolt -
IMG_4005.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

LostForWords
Common Wiggler

Post by LostForWords » Fri May 15, 2020 10:24 am

It really is great! (I'm in the UK and got mine from Michigan Synth Works. Arrived in just a few days.)

Spastic_Colon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spastic_Colon » Sat May 16, 2020 8:38 pm

Had a great time building this with the support of the guys on the Facebook group. This build doesn’t incorporate the click-pots but I’ve since seen the MSW have them I stock, so I now have another set on its way. It’s an incredible module!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LSuveg1
Common Wiggler

Post by LSuveg1 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:07 am

He everyone, I need some help with U7. I'll start by saying I know there's a lot of debris on the board; that will be cleaned one I finish all the soldering. I've soldered the remainder of the board components but this one gave me a lot of trouble. I ended up bridging legs (and subsequently applying flux and solder-wicking them) a few times, and I think I either lifted the top layer of the PCB or what's showing here is residue of some kind. Are these two legs connected in the circuit, or is this something I need to address? I also can't really tell if the chip is sufficiently soldered in place - it definitely doesn't move if manipulated with tweezers, but I'm really afraid to reflow it again given the damage I may have already done. Very worried because I'm so close to finishing the module and I'm really excited about it, don't want to scrap it and start over, etc.
Thanks!Image

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:55 am

LSuveg1 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:07 am
He everyone, I need some help with U7. I'll start by saying I know there's a lot of debris on the board; that will be cleaned one I finish all the soldering. I've soldered the remainder of the board components but this one gave me a lot of trouble. I ended up bridging legs (and subsequently applying flux and solder-wicking them) a few times, and I think I either lifted the top layer of the PCB or what's showing here is residue of some kind. Are these two legs connected in the circuit, or is this something I need to address? I also can't really tell if the chip is sufficiently soldered in place - it definitely doesn't move if manipulated with tweezers, but I'm really afraid to reflow it again given the damage I may have already done. Very worried because I'm so close to finishing the module and I'm really excited about it, don't want to scrap it and start over, etc.
Thanks!Image
I am no soldering expert, but I used solder braid to clean up stuff like that and it often works very well.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”