Neutron sound Dust of Time.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

defalut
Common Wiggler

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by defalut » Wed May 20, 2020 3:01 pm

LostForWords wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:24 am
It really is great! (I'm in the UK and got mine from Michigan Synth Works. Arrived in just a few days.)
REALLY??? I´ve waited 5 weeks for mine now, last life sign was it waited for .. something .. in Chicago international dist. center, on the 15:th of April. :(
Sweden always gets the crumbs of the cake, no icing for us.. boohoo.. :despair:

LSuveg1
Common Wiggler

Post by LSuveg1 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 pm

Thanks - I figured that was the correct course of action here but didn't want to cause further damage to the board.

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:06 pm

There is a new beta firmware at the FB beta group.
It is not on github because it has the new quantizer thing, it has the potential for strange behaviour, and has some random debugging numbers on the tune screen.

Version 0.9.4
Simple quantizer. it is the third page on "Hz".tuning comes after quantizing, so changing semitones on the tuning page will most likely result in out of scale notes.
there are global and patch scales, global scale and modulations are stored for all patches to use, when you are switched to global, loading a new patch will not change the scale that is playing (but patches scale will be loaded, and you can switch to "patch" and use it).
patch scale and modulations are saved with the patch, if you are switched to "patch", then the scale is saved and loaded with the patch.

Center position on scan is the root scale and root note.the second scale after "OFF" called "MIDI B" will toggle notes on the scale from the MIDI B channel.(MIDI B scale is not saved)
Osc positions let you modulate the quantizer inputs individually for osc1 and osc 2. if you use "MAX" as the modulater, you can control an fixed offset that is alway in your scale.
Quantizer output gates are available in the gate generators (they are too fast to be seen on the gate matrix, later ill make the length of them modualateable via a mod source).

Gate matrix has been expanded to include MIDI B note-on/off
Gate matrix rules are more easy to understand:
"ANY" any gate with a selected "pin" on the matrix will output on that gate bus row.
"1 on" will output a gate when only 1 of the selected gates is on
"2 on" will output a gate when 2 selected gates are on
"0 on" will output a gate when all selected gates are off

Added a new fuser function: "sample and hold" works like a normal one, input a modulator, and select a gate bus with the left button.
Added a (possibly quite useless) source to the "control" modulator, it corresponds to the MIDI clock BPM. zero is 0, 500 is maximum.
Experimental "midi clock" function in the gate generators, it needs midi clock in, and not quite right yet.

Kenvelopes.

prsy
1-Post Wiggler

Post by prsy » Tue May 26, 2020 2:59 pm

I just got my panel and I couldn't find anything about the aux pots pins in this thread or in the manual on github, is there a planned expansion or can those be used now?

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:07 pm

The aux pot board does not exist yet, but if you think you might want it if it gets made, no harm in adding the header.

LSuveg1
Common Wiggler

Post by LSuveg1 » Sun May 31, 2020 12:53 am

Two things:

1) Got the board built, no magic smoke, teensy LED flashes when I power-on... but I have a really dumb teensy question. I added Teensyduino to Arduino IDE, set my board as Teensy 3.6, but the file browser won't allow me to open the latest dust of time hex file from github. Would anyone mind walking me through the steps? I haven't touched arduino or teensy stuff in a few years, and last time just followed step by step instructions (for an Ornament and Crime).
2) I ordered the wrong physical size micro SD card ( :doh: ); is that primarily for waveedit files? Can I load the program to the teensy and run it without as I wait for a suitable replacement? And to make sure I don't do the same thing again, anyone have a recommended model?

Thanks!

bawbag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bawbag » Sun May 31, 2020 4:54 am

You generally download the entire repository from Github.
https://github.com/jakplugg/Neutron-Sound-Dust-of-Time
Hit the green clone or download button, select download zip, then once it's downloaded, open the zip, drag out the firmware folder so it unzips to wherever, then you should be set to go.

didahdrieghe
Common Wiggler

Post by didahdrieghe » Sun May 31, 2020 5:32 am

defalut wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:01 pm
LostForWords wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:24 am
It really is great! (I'm in the UK and got mine from Michigan Synth Works. Arrived in just a few days.)
REALLY??? I´ve waited 5 weeks for mine now, last life sign was it waited for .. something .. in Chicago international dist. center, on the 15:th of April. :(
Sweden always gets the crumbs of the cake, no icing for us.. boohoo.. :despair:
I've ordered my set the 31st of March and am still waiting.. Postal services between the US and Belgium seem to be royally fucked atm.

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Sun May 31, 2020 5:52 am

Named after another Hawkwind song, I see...

Sounds great so far. Keep the demos coming, folks!
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:36 am

didahdrieghe wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:32 am

I've ordered my set the 31st of March and am still waiting.. Postal services between the US and Belgium seem to be royally fucked atm.
Unfortunately, the mail system is under a massive amount of strain right now. Stuff will sit in a sorting center for weeks here in the US before it starts moving. It took 3 weeks for a first class parcel to go from Chicago to here (Lansing, about a 3.5hr drive). The problems are not all here either, first class international stuff tracks only until it leaves the US, once you see "processed through international sorting center " (usually Chicago for stuff coming from me), that means its been transferred to your local carrier and right now how long they hang on to it has been REALLY long too. 6-8 weeks in Europe has been average right now, sometimes longer. I'm sure they are short staffed and overwhelmed pretty much everywhere and first class is at the bottom of the priority list. UK seems to be the exception, stuff is still getting through normally to there.

I really dont have any options unless you want to pay for UPS which will set you back $47 and even they are way long for deliveries, the cheapo (which is like $5 less) is taking ~3 weeks

LSuveg1
Common Wiggler

Post by LSuveg1 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:36 pm

bawbag wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:54 am
You generally download the entire repository from Github.
https://github.com/jakplugg/Neutron-Sound-Dust-of-Time
Hit the green clone or download button, select download zip, then once it's downloaded, open the zip, drag out the firmware folder so it unzips to wherever, then you should be set to go.
Thanks for the help! I... was trying to open the hex file with the arduino IDE, not the Teensy menu. Got it up and running, now to check this thing out and get an appropriate SD card!

LSuveg1
Common Wiggler

Post by LSuveg1 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:33 am

First: this thing sounds amazing. Great work, Neutron7!

A couple questions:
1) What POTS did other builders use? The ones I got from Tayda (https://www.taydaelectronics.com/10k-oh ... b-9mm.html) don't seem to fit the footprint very well (unless I just didn't force them hard enough) and I ended up not getting them as flush as I'd like with the PCB, leaving too little space for the jacks. I think I'm going to have to re-solder the pots and if someone chose different pots, figured I'd just buy more.
2) Which ENCODERS did people use? I ordered these (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/4699168) since those on the BOM were backordered at mouser, but the shaft is too short.

Thanks!

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:49 pm

LSuveg1 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:33 am
First: this thing sounds amazing. Great work, Neutron7!

A couple questions:
1) What POTS did other builders use? The ones I got from Tayda (https://www.taydaelectronics.com/10k-oh ... b-9mm.html) don't seem to fit the footprint very well (unless I just didn't force them hard enough) and I ended up not getting them as flush as I'd like with the PCB, leaving too little space for the jacks. I think I'm going to have to re-solder the pots and if someone chose different pots, figured I'd just buy more.
2) Which ENCODERS did people use? I ordered these (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/4699168) since those on the BOM were backordered at mouser, but the shaft is too short.

Thanks!
Alpha or TT/BI parts will be fine provided they have an M7 thread and 10mm height to panel

the pads are for the click pots, regular pots will fit but you will need to bend some stuff in. It looks weird but it works fine. It was either this or maintain 2 different PCBs

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:16 am

Interesting way to play!

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:55 pm

version 0.9.4.5
The macro knob is now bipolar.this means that your saved presets stereo detune settings will be different if it was being used.

macro knob display now shows how it is actually working. on macro the pot does what the right encoder usually does on the other potscreens. the start point is always zero, so when the knob is in the middle, there is no output to the "macro" modulation source.

fixed wonky sustain slope on envelope diagram

Scan crossfade mode was moved to the scan controls page, you can switch with the left button. currently there are:
normal 11<>22 which fades between the 2 oscillator pairs
crossover 12<>21 which swaps oscillator 2's fade direction,

shortcut to stereo page from macro control's page.

Basic screen saver, encoder move or button press to exit.(later version will alow disabling and change timer up ro 2550 seconds (approx)

fixed sustain segment on env 3 and 4 (again)

MIDI notes on MIDI A now follow a "highest priority except the last note you played always plays"

fixed a long standing MIDI clicks sometimes on new note while envelope is open. it was velocity changing, DUH!

now subsequent notes you play while the gate is open, will have the same velocity as the first note that opened the gate. (sorry advanced sequencer users, this will probably cause some confusion)

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:19 am

Thanks for doing this. It's a shame you used reverb as the dry sound would've told us more. Really detailed, though. Good job!
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

jmsiener
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jmsiener » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:21 pm

Just ordered my board, panel, and pots! Excited to build!!

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:58 am

Which BOM is the most current and correct, this one still? It´s from 12th of Jan 20:

Just started building so i´m using the iBom as support and now i need to order some missing stuff..

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:21 am

There is only one BOM, we update it as needed but nothing has changed

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:43 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:21 am
There is only one BOM, we update it as needed but nothing has changed
Alright, great. Haven´t been following the thread since my PCB and panel went (assumed) missing for three months until arrival so i was uncertain about what´s been going on since then. Thanks!

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Added a couple of tracks to DoT playlist. if anyone has anything they made with it, ill add them!

https://soundcloud.com/neutron7/sets

also there is a new firmware on the FB group 0.9.6B if people can test it im looking to make 0.9.6 a proper github release.

funketek
Learning to Wiggle

Post by funketek » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:48 am

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but need some help troubleshooting a DOT build. Installed all of the SMD components and RECOM, but got some magic smoke from the lower 10R resistor (R3). Is there a board diagram so I can start checking the power rails? I was hoping to confirm orientation on the MB1S and RECOM being oriented correctly.
IMG_2081.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

funketek
Learning to Wiggle

Post by funketek » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:27 am

Nevermind - seems my cheap hot plate didn't melt B4 and C31, now getting correct voltages and no smoke!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”