Neutron sound Dust of Time.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Neutron sound Dust of Time.

Post by Daisuk » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:45 pm

Neutron7 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:22 pm
Daisuk wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:28 am

Nice! Thanks for the tip. The fusers are really cool! I'm slowly wrapping my head around this thing. Is the resonance fx the equivalent to the delay fx in the Orgone Accumulator? Really love the delay in the OA. :)
it is similar, but has a filter in the feedback, and can be pitched (quite crudely) you press the right screen button so the ramp icon appears, then it will follow the pitch (but can not go very low or high) like a really crappy rings. try it with a noise oscillator to hear the effect. that reminds me i have to fix that up a little because the lenght control stops working when you do that, but should become an offset.
Nice. Thanks for the info. :)

eonz
Common Wiggler

Post by eonz » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:19 pm

Will this work for the BAT54S ?

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/deta ... =340167530

Thanks in advance!
⚫⦁● ● ⦁ ●● ⦁ ⚫⚫
⚫⦁● ● ⦁ ●● ⦁ ⚫⚫●● ⚫⦁● ● ⦁ ●● ⦁ ⚫⚫
⚫⦁● ● ⦁ ●● ⦁ ⚫⚫

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:22 am

eonz wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:19 pm

Thanks in advance!
yes, as long as it says "BAT54S" somewhere, youre good. BAT54F or anything other than S, no

eonz
Common Wiggler

Post by eonz » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:49 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:22 am
eonz wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:19 pm

Thanks in advance!
yes, as long as it says "BAT54S" somewhere, youre good. BAT54F or anything other than S, no
:rock:
⚫⦁● ● ⦁ ●● ⦁ ⚫⚫
⚫⦁● ● ⦁ ●● ⦁ ⚫⚫

eonz
Common Wiggler

Post by eonz » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:44 pm

Hey guys - I'm hoping I can get some help troubleshooting my DOT build.

Plain and simple, when powering up nothing happens. The Teensy uploaded the latest HEX firmware without issues, I checked the 3.3D / 5v / 12v / -12v and all show proper voltages. When i plug the Teensy and power through my computer, the LED is lit but when I plug the module in and give it power, there is no LED lit on the Teensy. I'm guessing that the Teensy isn't getting power and therefor the module shows nothing.

Any ideas on where to start looking?
⚫⦁● ● ⦁ ●● ⦁ ⚫⚫
⚫⦁● ● ⦁ ●● ⦁ ⚫⚫

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:21 pm

the 4 extra teensy pins installed?

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:52 am

I'm having the same problem. I guess I have a short somewhere, but it doesn't make sense; the module started up, I hadn't hooked it up to audio but all of the controls worked and the display worked, etc., then I put the SD card in and (I'm sure it was a coincidence) it stopped working. The light on the Teensy stopped lighting up when it's plugged into the module or my computer, but my computer still recognizes it and I can reflash it. Every few tests the Neutron Sound startup logo pops up, but that's about it. I want to say the Teensy is fried because the light doesn't work, but I dunno. That sure is a bitch of a part to fry. Would it still start with a short? That's the part I don't understand, that it worked fine for a few minutes and then stopped.

Wtf and now it's working again... aaaand it froze? It was working and then it froze. Then I power-cycled it and now it doesn't work again. Arghhhhh

I checked with my other case and it did the same thing, powered up and then froze after about 15 seconds, and then won't start up again. So it's not a power problem, because my second case only has one other module in it. Nothing on the board is hot, could this all be a problem with the Teensy?

edit: It looks like both of the 3v regulators are shot. They get 5V on the input and one puts out like .8v and the other 1-point-something. Time to wait for a Mouser shipment.

Nope, I just needed a fresh battery in my DMM. Voltages are good all around, I must've had a short at one point that fried the Teensy.

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:26 pm

What is producing the 3v3 digital signal, is it the Teensy? I am only getting 3v where it should be 3.3v, i.e. pin 24 on the 74HC4067DB. It's dead on 3.3v on the Teensy itself, though. I'm looking at the schematic but I can't see what the 3v3 source is.

Wait, it says the ADP150 at U3 is supposed to be 3.3v, but U1 is 3v? How does that work, the BOM has them as the same part?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:22 am

snowtires wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:26 pm
What is producing the 3v3 digital signal, is it the Teensy? I am only getting 3v where it should be 3.3v, i.e. pin 24 on the 74HC4067DB. It's dead on 3.3v on the Teensy itself, though. I'm looking at the schematic but I can't see what the 3v3 source is.

Wait, it says the ADP150 at U3 is supposed to be 3.3v, but U1 is 3v? How does that work, the BOM has them as the same part?
Always go by the BOM, that is maintained and updated. 3V is correct. Are you using the 5V recom? The freezing thing was a symptom of an older firmware build with overclocking, is your build version current?

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:29 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:22 am
snowtires wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:26 pm

Always go by the BOM, that is maintained and updated. 3V is correct. Are you using the 5V recom? The freezing thing was a symptom of an older firmware build with overclocking, is your build version current?
I used the latest firmware, I think 0.9? I also tried again with an earlier firmware with no better result. I think it's the Teensy. The LED on the Teensy lights up dimly, then after about 10 seconds it goes out and the module hangs. I plugged the Teensy into my computer and let it sit and it did the same thing, the led was lit and then went out. It still will flash, though, but I have had that happen before with a Teensy. So, unfortunately, I've ordered another one. We'll see!

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:46 am

yeah, something is up with power or your teensy

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:52 pm

I got the Teensy replaced and everything was working perfectly! But then I came down this morning and it was frozen (I like to leave newly built modules on for a few days to see if any weird stuff like this happens).

Power cycled and it fired up, but every time I pressed a button 'gated output' popped up on the screen (is that normal for a patch with gated output?) and it suddenly wasn't registering all of the knob turns and button presses, so I reflowed the 74HC4067 and that made everything 100 times worse. I'm guessing that chip was zapped by whatever got my original Teensy and then finally failed over night last night. I ordered a new chip, but I just thought I would throw this out there if anyone thinks something else might be the cause.

Does that sound like a bad demux chip to everyone else or might there be something else wrong?

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:27 pm

How do I get to the glide and quantization menus? The manual says there are three pages in the global 'Hz' menu, but I only see two: tuning and pitch bend. Likewise, each of the oscillators is supposed to have a glide screen in the 'Hz' menu, but I only see tuning and modulation. Have they been removed from the latest firmware?

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:56 pm

Just ordered my PCB and panel.... lots of questions, starting with...

Did I order the correct display?

display

snowtires
Common Wiggler

Post by snowtires » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:14 pm

glennfin wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:56 pm

display
yes

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:24 am

snowtires wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:14 pm
glennfin wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:56 pm

display
yes
Thanks.... now to work on that BOM. ;)

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:37 pm

wrave
Common Wiggler

Post by wrave » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:45 pm

OH MY GOD This is incredible. The amount of features combined with the orange display gives me strong ER-301 vibes, but smaller and cheaper. Looking at the BOM, given this was released in 2020 I wonder why you didn't go for the Teensy 4? Seems like you made great use of Teensy 3.6! I'm just curious

Neutron7
Oldschool bleeper

Post by Neutron7 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:13 pm

At the time the teensy 4 was so new that it did not have library support for some things I used, and there are some hardware differences as well.

whyfarer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whyfarer » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:29 am

I watched that video yesterday. Despite having read the manual more than once, it really helped make a few things click. I need to rearrange my rack a bit to move this down to the front row since it will take some programming - but I'm really excited to (re)dig in

wrave
Common Wiggler

Post by wrave » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:01 pm

Just bought two panels+PCBs. :) I'll be skimming through this whole forum for parts to put together a good Octopart list. I only saw spreadsheets. Still a lot missing at the time of this post, but perhaps by the time you read this it'll all be fixed up with generic parts where possible. https://octopart.com/bom-tool/JvEmMbIi

Edit: I think it's done. Only part I'm fuzzy on is what kind of nylon spacer to get. Looks like these are for the display but only the top connect to the main PCB? I got confused because the BOM says "Screws" and most nylon spacers are unthreaded cylinders. There are 4 and only 2 PCB mount points. Are the bottom spacers resting on the PCB? Would I then need the kind that have a screw poking out and a nut? Is there clearance for that? I have almost no nylon anything in stock and searching for these parts on mouser/digi-key is particularly annoying for some reason.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:37 pm

Is there a PDF of the BOM?... can't seem to find that in a printable form.

The BOM link on Github is to an attenuator, not the DOT.
...Never mind ... found this which I'm assuming is the correct one

"DOT BOM 12 Jan 20"

Altitude909 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:23 pm
Not sure which BOM you are looking at. This is the official one

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:35 am

I completed mine this morning except for the BAT54S, which arrives Saturday from Digi-Key. Meantime, I want to share a technique and a couple of questions.

First the technique:

I was concerned about marring the window with errant glue, so I taped it very carefully and used a product called "Formula 560 Canopy Glue" to cement the window to the panel. If you are not familiar with it, canopy glue is preferred by airplane modelers because it dries crystal clear. I loaded up the joint from the back of the panel, then wiped off the excess. Came out great.

Now the questions:

1. I think I successfully loaded the firmware on the Teensy. The loader didn't offer any error messages, but it sure loaded fast. Should I assume I'm good if I received the message "reboot successful"?

2. Such a cool module deserves cool knobs. Anyone have any experience with 3d printed knobs? This dealer on Shapeways lists quite a few that should fit a .250 diameter shaft, though some are a little wide.

Here it is:

IMG_3688.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:30 pm

veets wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:35 am

Now the questions:

1. I think I successfully loaded the firmware on the Teensy. The loader didn't offer any error messages, but it sure loaded fast. Should I assume I'm good if I received the message "reboot successful"?

2. Such a cool module deserves cool knobs. Anyone have any experience with 3d printed knobs? This dealer on Shapeways lists quite a few that should fit a .250 diameter shaft, though some are a little wide.

Here it is:

IMG_3688.JPG
Looks great.
1: Yes, Teensys tend to load fast. I normally don't load them until every part is soldered, but it should be fine.
2: I'd say you should see a sample of what they look like actually printed, not a 3d model. In my experience, 3d printed knobs don't look great. Maybe with a high resolution printer and smaller than stock nozzle diameter, but still, I would take a browse through mouser or smallbear electronics instead. There are lots of knob options with set screws from companies like davies and eagle molding that would look great on there.

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:56 pm

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:30 pm

Looks great.
1: Yes, Teensys tend to load fast. I normally don't load them until every part is soldered, but it should be fine.
2: I'd say you should see a sample of what they look like actually printed, not a 3d model. In my experience, 3d printed knobs don't look great. Maybe with a high resolution printer and smaller than stock nozzle diameter, but still, I would take a browse through mouser or smallbear electronics instead. There are lots of knob options with set screws from companies like davies and eagle molding that would look great on there.
Thanks. I think the Teensy is probably okay, too. I didn't cut the USB power path, so I was able to load the firmware without powering-up the module. (I never update Teensy-based modules while they're drawing rack power, so it's never an issue.)

Been all through the catalogs of the usual suspects (Smallbear, Banzai, Digi-Key, Thonk) and a few vendors I've never used before. Haven't found anything as sexy as the customer knobs Altitude is using on the built-up versions, damn it. :wink:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”