CGS 59 Programmer question

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Nisse_D
Learning to Wiggle

CGS 59 Programmer question

Post by Nisse_D » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:35 am

Hi,

i'm building the CGS 59 programmer / sequencer and have some issues in getting the pushbutton wired correctly. So a few questions that i haven't been able to find the answer too:)

-The PCB have three connections for the switches but only two of them seems to be connected traces on the pcb (confusing, but the previous revisions only had two PCB connections). Am i correct in understanding that on the SPDT switch i have, i should connect these to the Common and Normally Open terminals?
-Also, since this means that the switch is effectively wired as an SPST (?), wich of the two pcb connection that goes to wich of the above terminals shouldn't matter, right?

Many thanks in advance!

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: CGS 59 Programmer question

Post by the bad producer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:00 am

Is it the new PCB from Elby? The old one had only two pads:

B - to common on switch
PB - to N.O. on switch

I assume you have a new one then if three pads, but if you follow the schematic (which I guess is the same?) you should be able to see what is what.

I'd be interested to seee a photo of the PCB if a new one!

The switch is indeed a SPST pushbutton, have you a SPDT button? But yeah, as long as one is common and one is N.O. it shouldn't matter which way around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nisse_D
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nisse_D » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:02 am

Brilliant, thank you so much for the quick reply! Yes, i went for a SPDT c&k Burton.

I’ll post a pic when I get home tonight. Theses newer ELBY boards are really an improvement over the previous revisions, top notch quality!

Nisse_D
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nisse_D » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:14 pm

...And here’s the pic of the A and B boards :)
BB64416B-91F4-4E17-A32F-DF432B3E940A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:05 am

Ah thanks! How does the output board mount to a panel? No mounting holes...
Last edited by the bad producer on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nisse_D
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nisse_D » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:45 am

He he, yeah thats a very odd omission... the wires connecting it to the column boards togheter with the connection to the jacks seems to be enough to hold it in place but if I would be the gigging kind I would feel a lot more nervous...

Nisse_D
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nisse_D » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:55 pm

Wrapped this up yesterday and everything seems to be working fine with two exceptions:

-One of the steps won't send a pulse to the "all events" output when sequenced via the up/down jacks. It does send a pulse when triggered by the step button though
-One of the steps won't be triggered by it's "pulse in" in input

So far i checked component values, orientation of diodes etc and continuity as far as i can without tearing it apart. I would rather avoid a teardown so if anyone's have any idea on what to look for i would be eternally grateful :)

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:10 am

Same step? Either way likely a solder joint that might need reheating?

Nisse_D
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nisse_D » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:27 pm

No, different steps:) but yesterday I found the solution to the no pulse step; you were of course right that a bad joint was the answer! I can live with the other issue so now I’ll just enjoy playing around with it before I dig into it again - so much fun! Many thanks for your support :banana:

Gandalf
Common Wiggler

Post by Gandalf » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:19 pm

Nisse_D wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:45 am
He he, yeah thats a very odd omission... the wires connecting it to the column boards together with the connection to the jacks seems to be enough to hold it in place but if I would be the gigging kind I would feel a lot more nervous...
The jacks should be mounted to the PCB using stiff wire and should also butt up against the PCB. Also use stiff wire to join all the PCBs together, there will be no issue with the board moving and no need for mounting points

Return to “Music Tech DIY”