Nice looking organized physical workbench ideas/sources

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Nice looking organized physical workbench ideas/sources

Post by xonetacular » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:58 am

I'm overdue to rearrange my place a set up a proper workbench. Right now I have just taken over my living room with a big folding table in the middle of it.

I am not looking for completely DIY unfinished looking solutions. This has to go somewhere in the living area of my 1 bedroom apartment so the typical workshop look isn't ideal here.

Ideally something metal and painted white or black with about 30" depth and 5-6' wide desk space, sitting desk height, with shelves above and some sort of backing to hang stuff, and some storage drawers below. Most workbenches for woodworking etc. seem meant for standing.

I've been searching around online and not finding too much, not much on amazon or anything suitable from ikea to hack together. Any ideas?

I found these which look great and I requested a quote but no pricing listed means I'm sure it's ungodly expensive: https://www.iacindustries.com/quick-shi ... ions-7-21/

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Nice looking organized physical workbench ideas/sources

Post by xonetacular » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:42 pm

Anyone have experience ordering from alibaba and can tell me how that process works?

these look like they could be perfect if the import process isn't a massive headache: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 212b1NVy4p

SyndieBot2000XL
Common Wiggler

Post by SyndieBot2000XL » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:02 pm

I’d go for something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-45-in-W ... 1000372215 if only because you can actually go to the store and “kick the tires”. The idea of spending that kind of cash on one of the ali sites gives me hives - doing so on something only represented by a cg render goes way into “hell no” territory.
It began as a mistake.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:06 pm

ikea something toghether. its like furniture legos

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:07 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:06 pm
ikea something toghether. its like furniture legos
I looked, not really seeing great options. Their new desks kinda suck since they discontinued the galant.

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:09 pm

SyndieBot2000XL wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:02 pm
I’d go for something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-45-in-W ... 1000372215 if only because you can actually go to the store and “kick the tires”. The idea of spending that kind of cash on one of the ali sites gives me hives - doing so on something only represented by a cg render goes way into “hell no” territory.
There are photos/videos on some of the other similar listings with actual units, I would need to see photos first but you're right alibaba seems like a huge hassle. Those workbenches at lowes/homedepot are useless. They are all standing height and half have bars at the bottom you couldn't put a stool under anyway, not that I would even want that. Desk height for a normal chair is a must.

hmm, this says $150-$200: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... XmNQJb&s=p

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:17 pm

Ikea trestles - the beech ones (solid ones, not the cheap ones)
Then add a wood board on top - the ikea ones were always shit, hollow crap, so source/DIY eg. ply about 16-20mm thick, sanded, oiled.

Install power & lighting first - ie. get the infrastructure in as initial step, then build up your own choice around - iron, test eqpt, tool storage, etc.

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:28 pm

BugBrand wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:17 pm
Ikea trestles - the beech ones (solid ones, not the cheap ones)
Then add a wood board on top - the ikea ones were always shit, hollow crap, so source/DIY eg. ply about 16-20mm thick, sanded, oiled.

Install power & lighting first - ie. get the infrastructure in as initial step, then build up your own choice around - iron, test eqpt, tool storage, etc.
These? https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/finnvard-t ... -30345717/

Seems like they would get in the way of where I could sit and put drawers under if I was staying around 60-62" width.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:07 pm

Hmm, that iac industries link is a typical modular workstation. Likely, it would cost a fortune new. I see workstations being given away regularly on Craigslist—so you could probably pick up a couple and build whatever configuration you need. It’s all modular construction Personally, I wouldn’t want one in the middle of my living room. I’d buy a nice looking simple dining room table, complement it with some short file cabinets on wheels to slide under the table (same source above for free). Then I’d put up some shelves up over the table.

This is more or less what I’m doing. However, instead of the shelves, I’m planning to build a simple storage unit above the desk, so I can hide things away. If you use nice quality birch plywood, and take your time—it doesn’t take a lot of tools or skill to make something that looks modern and finished.

infinitemachinery
Common Wiggler

Post by infinitemachinery » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:36 am

For my work space I bought 2 of these. Very sturdy with a nice thick wood surface.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-6-ft- ... /206288247

One of the benches I raised to work while standing and placed this tool chest underneath, without the wheels. The tool chest holds a variety of larger tools, cables, components, soldering items, etc.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-2000 ... 1000462561

Above one of the benches and on any free wall space I put as many of these part cabinets I could. These are expensive but very high quality.

The bench that I sit down and solder and assemble on has a back drop of 12'' shelves that extends the length of bench and up to the ceiling. This is where my bench instruments are mounted and other items that are frequently used.

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:53 am

Some years back I used a plain wooden door. Then bought four wooden square stools, two at each end for the legs. The setup was very sturdy and incredibly cheap. After that you could concentrate the remaining furniture budget on some laptop stands, or angled tabletop synth stands.

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:00 am

Hovercraft wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:07 pm
Hmm, that iac industries link is a typical modular workstation. Likely, it would cost a fortune new. I see workstations being given away regularly on Craigslist—so you could probably pick up a couple and build whatever configuration you need. It’s all modular construction Personally, I wouldn’t want one in the middle of my living room. I’d buy a nice looking simple dining room table, complement it with some short file cabinets on wheels to slide under the table (same source above for free). Then I’d put up some shelves up over the table.

This is more or less what I’m doing. However, instead of the shelves, I’m planning to build a simple storage unit above the desk, so I can hide things away. If you use nice quality birch plywood, and take your time—it doesn’t take a lot of tools or skill to make something that looks modern and finished.
Well the idea is to move this out of the middle of my living room so I can use it again. My studio takes up half of my living room already but it looks neat (sometimes). I can rearrange and clear an alcove that could perfectly fit about a 5' by 30" workstation. It's still visible but more tucked away elsewhere off the front area of my apartment and you can't see it when you walk in.

I did find some workstations for sale on craigslist. They are all the same from one seller... not free but for a few hundred bucks maybe it could work. Not the ideal layout and look but usable. I would love to find something like that but better on cl.

this:

the alibaba ones with overhead lighting look better but who knows with that

Flounderguts
Common Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:12 pm

Check Public service auctions. There is an app that works really well, and many technical colleges and schools post old stuff. I have seen some really great workstations go for beans...alas not in my state, but I have seen some great stuff in Florida.

I did pick up a CNC mill for less than a grand, though.
----------------------

Flounderguts

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:09 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:12 pm
Check Public service auctions. There is an app that works really well, and many technical colleges and schools post old stuff.
what app?

emmaker
Wiggling with Experience

Post by emmaker » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:28 pm

If I ever get my studio area cleaned up enough to redo it I'm looking at these. Main thing for me is the adjustable height. They come in different lengths and tops too.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/work ... -1-3-4-top

Flounderguts
Common Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:13 am

xonetacular , it's called Public Surplus Buyers App. Website, too.

Happy hunting :party:
----------------------

Flounderguts

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:12 pm

The IAC unit I first listed isn't as bad as I was expecting. As configured with 3 drawers, 2 shelves, light, outlet strip, part bin bar I got a quote for around 2k. Still expensive and out of my budget but I was expecting worse.

vaxdatex
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vaxdatex » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:39 am

Circuit Cellar has a section on their website showing reader workbenches. The gamut goes from small in living room to extensive setups.

https://circuitcellar.com/category/reso ... rkspaces/

Then there's as always flickr https://flickr.com/search/?text=electronics%20workbench

Cheers
Vax

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:18 am

infinitemachinery wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:36 am
Above one of the benches and on any free wall space I put as many of these part cabinets I could. These are expensive but very high quality.
if they are plastic then I don't like them. the metal ones are the only ones I would buy. I had a lot of problems with plastic stackon brand cases like this. if they have drain holes in the bottom, and dust can get in from the top of the drawesrs in back then I think that creates more problems and frustration than it is worth.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:58 am

Screw it, found a $40 Ikea galant the right size on offerup. I ordered an ESD mat to cover the whole desk and I'm just going to build an overhead shelf assembly that slides around the sides of the desk in the small space between desk and wall that goes down to the floor, with a few overhead shelves above everything and stain it nice. Then just add a power strip and another light under the shelf and be done with it.

msboude
Common Wiggler

Post by msboude » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:38 am

I just bought one of these and they are awesome!

https://www.fully.com/jarvis-crank-powe ... -desk.html

It seems very sturdy, you won't be hammering or throwing a vice on it, but for an electronics workbench it's perfect and very sturdy. It cranks up high enough for things to be in your face and it lowers enough that it can be used as a child's table! haha
desk1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”