In CV: an Arduino-powered virtual ensemble that plays Terry Riley's "In C" on CV/gate outputs

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

In CV: an Arduino-powered virtual ensemble that plays Terry Riley's "In C" on CV/gate outputs

Post by joeSeggiola » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:46 pm

I made an Eurorack, Arduino-powered module that plays the sequences/loops of Terry Riley's "In C" on CV/gate outputs. It has buttons to control the performance in real-time, advancing through the 53 patterns of the original score. I also recorded a video demonstration.

:oops: I'd like to know if there's someone in EU with a better system and better skills that is interested in "playing" this module. I can send my already built one for free, it'd be great for me to watch or hear a performance by someone else! Write me a private message, in case.

Code and files

https://github.com/joeSeggiola/arduino- ... ster/in-cv

Features

- Six performers that play "In C" patterns on 1V/oct CV/gate outputs.
- Each performer has a button to advance through the 53 patterns, or to pause at the end of the current loop (long-press).
- LEDs show when a note is played, but will start blinking if the performer is left behind by three or more patterns.
- External clock input to control playback speed.
- Main button to show late performers, or to reset everything to initial state (long-press).
- In the initial state every performer plays a steady C with no gate (for tuning), until the advance button is pressed and the first pattern starts being played.

Pics of my build
IMG_20190720_185259.jpg
IMG_20190726_192809.jpg
IMG_20190727_130919.jpg
IMG_20190727_131911.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Re: In CV: an Arduino-powered virtual ensemble that plays Terry Riley's "In C" on CV/gate outputs

Post by sduck » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Nice project! i love the results.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: In CV: an Arduino-powered virtual ensemble that plays Terry Riley's "In C" on CV/gate outputs

Post by guest » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:21 pm

thats great. i feel like there is a real lacking of "compositional" modules versus voice modules.
openmusiclabs.com

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:26 pm

Oh man I love this so much

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:32 pm

guest wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:21 pm
thats great. i feel like there is a real lacking of "compositional" modules versus voice modules.
Yep. If you dig in the GitHub README file you can see the firmware can be easily customized to play any "sequence of looping sequences", or a song if you want to use that word. I just provide the 53 patterns of In C as the default configuration.

Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jarno » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:09 pm

That is very interesting!
Are those little boards with the dacs a standard part (Aliexpress?)?

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:52 pm

Jarno wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:09 pm
Are those little boards with the dacs a standard part (Aliexpress?)?
Yes, it's a breakout board for the MCP4728. I bought this pack of five from AliExpress, but many other vendors have it: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32975252305.html

paperCUT
Veteran Wiggler

Post by paperCUT » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:13 pm

Looks like a really fun module! Hope someone takes you up on that offer 8-)

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:54 pm

I love it! Last time I listened to In C, I vaguely thought about doing something like this, but never actually did. I'm so glad you did! :sb:

I'm interested in the module, too. I think I had some ideas for music I wanted to make that could benefit from such a module... I'll have to think about that and check the code out.

forbin
Common Wiggler

Post by forbin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:38 pm

Very neat with nice results. I may try butchering some of your code into my ornaments & crime for some experimentation, not really enough outputs but a starting point... Tanks for posting.

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:42 am

Wow, that's very cool.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”