Mono/poly adjustmentpot damaged?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Dibek
Learning to Wiggle

Mono/poly adjustmentpot damaged?

Post by Dibek » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:25 pm

Hi,
I was tuning my Mono/poly with almost no force but still the pot on the inside made a crunching noise and i fear it‘s damaged. :/
I mean the small trimpots on the PCB!

Is there any war to repair it? It‘s my first synth from 25 years ago and it’s means a lot to me, any idea would be much appreciated, thanks!

KSS
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Mono/poly adjustmentpot damaged?

Post by KSS » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:02 pm

Dibek wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:25 pm
Hi,
I was tuning my Mono/poly with almost no force but still the pot on the inside made a crunching noise and i fear it‘s damaged. :/
I mean the small trimpots on the PCB!

Is there any war to repair it? It‘s my first synth from 25 years ago and it’s means a lot to me, any idea would be much appreciated, thanks!
Trim replacement is a no-brainer for any synth tech. Simple soldering job. Usually the harder part is getting the PCB clear enough to solder in the new part. If you're confortable with mechanical diassambly and soldering, it can be a DIY job.

From your question, would conclude this may not be the case. It's a valuable synth. Take it to someone vwho can give it the care it deserves.

Not said in your message, but possible is that there could be other problems inside limiting the useful effect of the trim. This could be why you might have had problems trimming to the point of broken trim? Mentioning this bacause -if true- it's another reason to get a tech involved.

Against this conclusion, trims can have *very* short expected life in terms of allowable rotations before failure. As few as 20! In the past 25 years you might have simply trimmed enough times to have the trim kick the bucket. No harm,no foul, but still new trim is needed. In this case other trims may also be facing the rigors of old age.

Dibek
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Mono/poly adjustmentpot damaged?

Post by Dibek » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:32 am

Hey, thanks for the great reply!

Good to hear that this is solvable.
I do know how to solder but you´re right in that this may be too much for my skills, i´ll hand this over to a tech.

cheers!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”