Capacitor Price Differences

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

TheMentat
Common Wiggler

Capacitor Price Differences

Post by TheMentat » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:25 pm

Hi All,

I'm in the process of ordering parts... one thing I don't understand is the wild price differences between (seemingly) similar capacitors. In particular, compare these three on Mouser:

80-C0603T104J5RACTU
Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - SMD/SMT 50V 0.1uF 0603 X7R 5%

80-C0603C104J3R
Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - SMD/SMT 25V 0.1uF 0603 X7R 5%

603-CC0603JPX79BB104
Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - SMD/SMT 0.1uF 5% 50V High Capacitance

Is there any reason to not use the inexpensive Yageo ones? From what I can tell, I am primarily using them for bypass caps, but I'd b interested to know of any un-suitable applications... Any thoughts from the brain-trust here would be appreciated!

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Capacitor Price Differences

Post by guest » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:15 pm

as for the first, really expensive one. that one is MILSPEC testsed, so youre paying for a lot of extra work. the other two, im not so certain of. price comes down to a lot of non-technical factors, including things like country of origin (tariffs) and corporate marketting decisions. i didnt comb through the other two datasheets too thoroughly, but they seem pretty similar. and there are data given in one and not the other, so its hard to really say for sure. the yageo capacitor is from their "high capacitance" series, which has slightly worse specs than regular class 2 capacitors.
openmusiclabs.com

Return to “Music Tech DIY”