Buchla Panels: Making holes. NEED HELP!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Votek_Mendo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Buchla Panels: Making holes. NEED HELP!

Post by Votek_Mendo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:30 am

Hi
I have a serie of Buchla panels that dont have the holes done.
Do you guys know any place or someone where i could send all my panels to get them done.
I want really really nice work.

Not sure if i can do them by myself. What is the best method? any tutorial would be really appreciated.
Thanks a lot!
WTB: Publison KB2000 & DHM 89 B2, Vestax Faderboard, Electrospace TIME matrix, Syntovox 221

https://twitter.com/Votek_Mendo
http://soundcloud.com/votek_mendo
http://statigr.am/votek_mendo

jochem
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Buchla Panels: Making holes. NEED HELP!

Post by jochem » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:31 am

You could do it yourself, if you have acces to a drill press.

You would need to indicate the exact center position for the holes (also when handing out the work). Then use a center punch to make a dent on that spot. This is so that the drill won't be able to walk. Use a smaller drill to make an opening and then use a drill in the size required to make the final hole. Or you could use an endmill instead of reamer in stead of the final drill bit. They make a nicer round hole.
For the final touch you might have to deburr the holes. This can be done with a larger drill bit by hand. Just a slight turn should take the burrs off.

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:56 am

For larger holes (from about 8mm and up) use a piece of cloth between the drill-bit and the (sheet metal) panel.
That way the drill bit will not dig itself into the panel.

jorg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jorg » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:53 am

You might also consider Greenlee punches for any large-ish holes.

I've never heard of cloth under the drill bit. I can't picture how that would work? :hmm:

jimfowler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jimfowler » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:46 pm

PM'd. I can help with cnc milling/machining. For reference, here's my latest: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=227467

- Jim

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:57 am

jorg wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:53 am
You might also consider Greenlee punches for any large-ish holes.

I've never heard of cloth under the drill bit. I can't picture how that would work? :hmm:
first you drill a small hole, cover it with a piece of cloth (4x4 cm) and drill with the large bit. Just try it...

jorg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jorg » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:03 am

Grumble wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:57 am
first you drill a small hole, cover it with a piece of cloth (4x4 cm) and drill with the large bit. Just try it...
Sounds like a recipe for a spinning panel and injury.

Normally I just use a series of bits, increasing from tiny to the final size in fairly small steps.

SunPulse
Common Wiggler

Post by SunPulse » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:08 pm

Annular drill bits make a nice clean hole and don't run the risk of warping the panel like a regular twist drill.
Yes, That is My Hand You See There: ALM Busy Circuits / CFM / Erica Synths / Intellijel / Ladik / MakeNoise / Malekko Heavy Industry / Pittsburgh Modular / Seismic Industries / Steady State Fate / SSF-WMD / Studio Electronics / Tiptop Audio / Xaoc Devices

Instagram: sunpulse.ay

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:16 pm

I will look at the annular drill bits.

As above, drill press, centre punch, increasing drill bit sizes. I’ve screwed panels to a bit of wood. Drilling cases I couldn’t do that, I’ve found nice sharp new drill bits worked ok.

I got a drill press for not much from Lidl. Spend a bit of time setting them up, making sure everything is true, and the slight demands of drilling through a couple of mm of aluminium means an easy life.

They’ve got newer versions with electronic speed control in now for us in the UK (and a light to show where you’re about to drill - really useful I wish mine had it)

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/parksi ... rol/p29553

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:29 pm

jorg wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:03 am
Grumble wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:57 am
Sounds like a recipe for a spinning panel and injury
On the contrary! Try it, hold the metal with a pair of pliers and just give it a try....

PacificState
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PacificState » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:09 pm

Something that's bothered me about this - I've been on a journey when it comes to drilling, and now punch a dimple before using a drill press, stepped bit, and cutting lubricant.

My current efforts are therefore more accurate than ever, but even with a newly acquired 'bombsight' style punch I can see that the holes aren't quite aligned - they can be off by half a millimeter or so (I was reminded of this when I just looked at https://handycrowd.com/how-to-drill-acc ... -in-metal/ - even the good example is slightly adrift from the lines at the top).

Is there any way to get total accuracy with hand (EDIT: marked/punched) drilling? I'm wondering if I should be scribing the measurement lines instead of drawing them, for instance, or if I should just be using a sharper pencil ;-)

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:51 pm

A scribe will have a finer line. A pencil line can be quite thick. I was taught to use engineers blue or marker blue. On the front of a panel this wouldn’t work.

Accuracy is an engineering problem. Are your panel edges true, is the print (or whatever the markings are) true, are your squares true, is your movement of your piece from one hole to another true. The laser light on the linked press looks useful as it’s pish easy to be slightly out one a punched and marked point especially if you’re clamping down for each new hole.

You’ll get your eye in. Balance this against your OCD. A 3D milling machine will help, depending on its accuracy and its cost to use ratio. Another rabbit (misaligned) hole

OrganFixer
Common Wiggler

Post by OrganFixer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:59 pm

First, when punching the point use an autopunch for better accuracy than a punch and a hammer. If the link below doesn't work just search autopunch. You put the point in place and push and it is spring loaded.

Use a stepped drill bit to make the hole rather than jumping up to the full size. just make sure you stop at the correct size hole.

You can do it yourself. It's not that hard. Maybe try on a practice piece first. A drill press makes it a lot easier.

I apologize if this was already mentioned.

Also, if the holes are SLIGHTLY large it allows you to put the pot/jack/switch perfectly in line and no one can tell that the holes aren't perfect.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”