rhythm wolf teardown: any questions?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: rhythm wolf teardown: any questions?

Post by guest » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:35 am

all schematics here:
http://wiki.openmusiclabs.com/wiki/RhythmWolf

the board looks good. did you meausre the resistance?
openmusiclabs.com

Tr909
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tr909 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:33 am

guest wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:35 am
all schematics here:
http://wiki.openmusiclabs.com/wiki/RhythmWolf

the board looks good. did you meausre the resistance?
I have not done it yet, but my question is that how can sound come out of each resistance if they are wrong? Excuse my doubts, I am a beginner in all this! If any surface resistance had to be changed, it would be very complicated, right? is it worth changing?

ihav2p
Common Wiggler

Post by ihav2p » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:41 am

I think the idea is to check if the connection to the mix section was disconnected by the mod. If you look at the schematic of the mix section (the file rw_mix), the upper left corner is where you soldered your wires. To the right of that, U12a is where the signals of the drums are mixed. If one of the lines to u12a is interrupted it won't be in the mix. So you should check to see if the resistance between R90 (kick) and U12a is 0.

Tr909
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tr909 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:23 pm

ihav2p wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:41 am
I think the idea is to check if the connection to the mix section was disconnected by the mod. If you look at the schematic of the mix section (the file rw_mix), the upper left corner is where you soldered your wires. To the right of that, U12a is where the signals of the drums are mixed. If one of the lines to u12a is interrupted it won't be in the mix. So you should check to see if the resistance between R90 (kick) and U12a is 0.
Excuse my ignorance ... I am a newbie in this whole world !! .... How to check the resistance between R90 and U12? Greetings!

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by guest » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:20 pm

does it change anything at the main mix out to have a plug plugged or not into the individual out jacks?

to measure resistance, turn off the power to the device, and set your multimeter to ohms. put one probe on one side of R90, and the other probe on the other. does it read 1kohm? this will give the resistance of R90. if R90 is good, then we can check if its solder joints are good. keep one probe on the wired side of R90, and put the other probe on the non-wired side of R87. since R87 is connected to R90, this will check if that back solder joint is ok (should still read 1ik). if thats good, keep the R87 probe in place, and put the other probe on the tip of the kick output jack. if it still reads 1k, then move the probe to R12 over in the kick section. this will check the traces from the kick to the mixer. one side of R12 will read 50k, the other 1k.
openmusiclabs.com

Tr909
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tr909 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:21 am

guest wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:20 pm
does it change anything at the main mix out to have a plug plugged or not into the individual out jacks?

to measure resistance, turn off the power to the device, and set your multimeter to ohms. put one probe on one side of R90, and the other probe on the other. does it read 1kohm? this will give the resistance of R90. if R90 is good, then we can check if its solder joints are good. keep one probe on the wired side of R90, and put the other probe on the non-wired side of R87. since R87 is connected to R90, this will check if that back solder joint is ok (should still read 1ik). if thats good, keep the R87 probe in place, and put the other probe on the tip of the kick output jack. if it still reads 1k, then move the probe to R12 over in the kick section. this will check the traces from the kick to the mixer. one side of R12 will read 50k, the other 1k.
No, when connecting headphones for example, the sound does not change and not I perceive any type of noise and through the individual outputs the sound is clean and powerful (more than if I had connected them to the volume potentiometers of each piece). Now the HH has also disappeared from the main out mix !!!! ... Could it be that U12 is wrong? I will check the resistances and as they have told me and I will continue to inform you ... I am very grateful for your help !!

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by guest » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:26 am

if you are getting anything from the mix out, then U12 is ok. it has to be a bad resistor (R90, etc) or a bad connection at that resistor.
openmusiclabs.com

astrosound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by astrosound » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:11 pm

Tr909 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:33 am
Does anyone have the service manual for the rythm wolf or some schematic of the mainboard or something similar?
Guest has provided the schematics here: http://wiki.openmusiclabs.com/wiki/RhythmWolf

Tr909
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tr909 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:35 pm

astrosound wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:11 pm
Tr909 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:33 am
Does anyone have the service manual for the rythm wolf or some schematic of the mainboard or something similar?
Guest has provided the schematics here: http://wiki.openmusiclabs.com/wiki/RhythmWolf
yes, I will look at the link ... thank you very much !!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”